Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology > MBTI & Typology Archive

Old 12th-June-2011, 11:38 PM   snafupants's time 12th-June-2011, 05:38 PM    #1
snafupants
Resident Member

macossafari
Default Introverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking?

What could it mean if both of these things commingle to form the primary and secondary functions to a personality? This is what I think I experience, and what results from tests come out indicating, but there isn't a veritable personality that cleanly translates to include introverted thinking and feeling in the top spots. What do folks think is going on? Please note, as an aside, I don't have my self esteem or identity or anything riding on the personality type framework, your answers, etc. - it just seems interesting. The whole idea of shoehorning the functions and their sequences into a quasi cohesive personality framework always seemed weird to me, and like a bastardization of Jung's work - but, in the spirit of intellectual discussion, let's go with it.

p.s., For "what could it mean" please don't say that you think it means I'm thinking too much or something half assed like that.
snafupants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 12:52 AM   Words's time 13th-June-2011, 12:52 AM    #2
Words
Only 1 1-F.

macossafari
Default Re: Introverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking?

Primary and Secondary in terms of preference? Well, the person would be very introverted then. Accordingly, this also means that the person would be very non-extroverted. Considering the "J" aspect, this person would also more likely to have troubles in talking to the general public as well as having trouble with other forms of dealing with the "external standards"(Je.) The positive side, more reflective.

I think, in terms of personality as a whole given the factor of environment, some people are already like this. Maybe you can try observing IxxP's who look like they don't externally display any inch of their Pe function. In my experience, I've observed a fair sum of IxFP's being very very "internal", and also being very "Te" when confronted. They also seem "fragile."
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 12:55 AM   thoumyvision's time 12th-June-2011, 06:55 PM    #3
thoumyvision
Mauveshirt

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Feeling is not about emotions, it's about making decisions based on personal values rather than logical processes. An INTP's emotions are not necessarily less strong than any other types, but our Ti means we rarely make decisions based on them and it's really hard for us to do so if we need to.

What you're talking about could be that you feel your emotions rather strongly, more so than you think an INTP should, and you're translating that into MBTI "Feeling". This is one of the biggest problems with MBTI, is words like Thinking, Feeling, and Judging in particular are "weighted" in our minds with meanings that don't apply when talking about them in an MBTI context.

So "Thinking" isn't about being intelligent, it's about preferring to use logical, impersonal thought processes when deciding things. "Feeling" isn't about being emotional, it's about preferring to use subjective, personal values when deciding things. "Feeling" people often appear more emotional than us because they value their emotions highly when making decisions, so we see that the results of that decision making process fall in line with their emotional state.

I'll bet plenty of people on this forum can relate to a situation where they "felt" that they'd like to ask an attractive love interest out but didn't because their logical thought processes got in the way. That's a particular occasion where our emotions run quite high and we deliberately (and often quite annoyingly) ignore our feelings on the matter for a (falsely) logical withdrawal.

This points out one of the problems with Ti logic, in that it's subjective based on our information. I'm sure nearly everyone who has ever wanted to ask out a girl and knew the answer would be yes would have done it, but due to a lack of this information our intuition rears up and starts yelling unpleasant possibilities at us, at which point we start using those as the starting point of our logical processes. Lack of good information leads to poor use of logic.

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting." -The Doctor

"Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all." -G.K. Chesterton
thoumyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 01:19 AM   snafupants's time 12th-June-2011, 07:19 PM    #4
snafupants
Resident Member

macossafari

Good post, Vision. With your avatar, you still have me wondering whether you're going to freestyle or hex me into abject disfigurement.

Your third paragraph explains things well and sets the record straight on misconceptions. Your last paragraph brings up some possible shortcomings of MBTI though.

With introverted and intuitive folks, why is it that feeling or thinking has to be coupled with intuition in the first two function slots?

Basically, is there a rhyme or reason for why a subjective process like introverted thinking would have to be coupled with extraverted intuition, for instance, to form the crux of a personality composite?

The whole thing seems arbitrary and fabricated. Why do certain functions need to be grafted together?

In a way it makes sense that a subjective process, relying on internal cues, would be linked to a more reality based function; but, then again, people don't make a whole lot of sense.

The framework of MBTI and personality typing seems like tying a whole bunch of heterogenous pieces together with a string and calling it a gift. They're separate processes that don't always line up perfectly.
snafupants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 06:06 AM   pjoa09's time 13th-June-2011, 01:06 PM    #5
pjoa09
dopaminergic

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I think because we can only observe or act. an introverted intuition with introverted thinking wouldn't do either.

I am just guessing. In fact I sometimes think I am an Ni Ti . Se really feels like an inferior function that I resort to when with people.

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 07:32 AM   IfloatTHRUlife's time 13th-June-2011, 02:32 AM    #6
IfloatTHRUlife

windows_xp_2003firefox

Well, if introverted thinking and introverted feeling were to perform as your dominant and auxiliary functions(this is what i assumed you were saying), you would be entirely incapable of complex thought because your two most preferred functions would be judging functions. Your perceptive functions are the ones that gather information.

Not sure if you knew this and were just asking what it would be like if there were a case where it were actually possible for the two to perform as your most preferred? But regardless, i imagine a fairly robotic person, possibly mentally damaged? I dont know, it is a simple premise, with complex implications.
Old 14th-July-2011, 11:45 AM   ked's time 14th-July-2011, 11:45 AM    #7
ked

windows_xp_2003ie

Not sure about what you mean by primary and secondary functions but the correct theory is that one's first two function pairs always have either Te and Fe or Ti and Fi as they are the most conscious functions and operate together as one brain.
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-July-2011, 09:27 PM   Essence's time 16th-July-2011, 02:27 PM    #8
Essence

macossafari

I think that MBTI just tells you the functions that you're mind uses most. But all of them are present and usable in everyone. Though i'm an INTP, I catch myself using Fi/Se every so often. Usually if someone comes to me for advice.
Essence is offline   Reply With Quote