Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology > MBTI & Typology Archive

Old 24th-February-2009, 07:56 PM   Seducer of the Homeless's time 24th-February-2009, 07:56 PM    #1
Seducer of the Homeless
INFP

Default Cool to be Introverted?

i have noticed that people find reserved and introverted people to be.....Cooler than loudmouth extroverts

just an observation, not an opinion

'But Bill, people don't want to think, they want to laugh' What? Do you want me to tickle them all individually?! - Bill Hicks

Poets are Damned... but See with the Eyes of Angels. - Allen Ginsberg
Seducer of the Homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:14 PM   Jules's time 24th-February-2009, 09:14 PM    #2
Jules

Default Re: Cool to be Introverted?

Cooler in what sense? Emotionless or 'awesome' cool?
知言 do not preach.
。,
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:16 PM   FacetiousPersona's time 24th-February-2009, 08:16 PM    #3
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Cooler in what sense? Emotionless or 'awesome' cool?
Cool as in 'awesome cool' due to the context. I mean, look at the title of the thread. It would not be 'emotionless to be introverted' or 'calm to be introverted'.
FacetiousPersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:30 PM   Jules's time 24th-February-2009, 09:31 PM    #4
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacetiousPersona View Post
Cool as in 'awesome cool' due to the context. I mean, look at the title of the thread. It would not be 'emotionless to be introverted' or 'calm to be introverted'.
The title of the thread is the context? Are you confused with the context that's already in your mind?
知言 do not preach.
。,
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:41 PM   naberus's time 25th-February-2009, 06:41 AM    #5
naberus

Introverts, specifically Intorverted Thinkers often carry a certain level of seriousness which gives us an aura of level-headedness and a calm deminour. This can be seen as cool since it makes us seem very in control of ourselves, and therefore can be in control of other things.

This power over one's self is an ideal quality in leaders which is in general very attractive and readily translates to awesomeness...at least this is my theory anyways.
naberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:43 PM   FacetiousPersona's time 24th-February-2009, 08:43 PM    #6
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Quote:
The title of the thread is the context? Are you confused with the context that's already in your mind?
No, the context of original post in the thread, not the title.
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:45 PM   Jules's time 24th-February-2009, 09:45 PM    #7
Jules

Quote:
No, the context of original post in the thread, not the title.
Maybe you should read the original post in the thread again
知言 do not preach.
。,
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:47 PM   FacetiousPersona's time 24th-February-2009, 08:47 PM    #8
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you should read the original post in the thread again
The title should answer your curiosity with the original post, basically. I'm not in the mood to share my analysis of how the context of the original post would lead one to presume it's 'unemotional' instead of 'awesome cool', anyway.
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:49 PM   Jules's time 24th-February-2009, 09:49 PM    #9
Jules

Quote:
The title should answer your curiosity with the original post, basically. I'm not in the mood to share my analysis of how the context of the original post would lead one to presume it's 'unemotional' instead of 'awesome cool', anyway.
What I said... the context in your head...
知言 do not preach.
。,
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:50 PM   FacetiousPersona's time 24th-February-2009, 08:50 PM    #10
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Quote:
What I said... the context in your head...
I think that my interpretation of the context is correct. I'm ESFJ and a moron, remember?
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:53 PM   Seducer of the Homeless's time 24th-February-2009, 08:53 PM    #11
Seducer of the Homeless
INFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by naberus View Post
Introverts, specifically Intorverted Thinkers often carry a certain level of seriousness which gives us an aura of level-headedness and a calm deminour. This can be seen as cool since it makes us seem very in control of ourselves, and therefore can be in control of other things.

This power over one's self is an ideal quality in leaders which is in general very attractive and readily translates to awesomeness...at least this is my theory anyways.
I agree

'But Bill, people don't want to think, they want to laugh' What? Do you want me to tickle them all individually?! - Bill Hicks

Old 24th-February-2009, 08:55 PM   FacetiousPersona's time 24th-February-2009, 08:55 PM    #12
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Jules was unaware that I was baiting people in this thread with arrogance.
Old 24th-February-2009, 08:58 PM   Jules's time 24th-February-2009, 09:58 PM    #13
Jules

Quote:
Jules was unaware that I was baiting people in this thread with arrogance.
That's a 'cool' escape, Face
知言 do not preach.
。,
Old 25th-February-2009, 01:42 AM   Ermine's time 24th-February-2009, 06:42 PM    #14
Ermine
is watching and taking notes

Well, introverts are cool to me in that I can relate, and they're more interesting to talk to because in the case of any introvert, when they do talk, the content is important. And they're more likely to see the appeal of sitting on the couch and watching a movie on a friday night.
Old 25th-February-2009, 04:00 AM   Anthile's time 25th-February-2009, 05:00 AM    #15
Anthile
Nothing but contempt

Introverted characters in fiction are often mysterious, they hide a dark secret or an awful truth which makes them interesting for the audience. For some reason introversion is deemed to be a sign of maturity and wisdom. Two brothers? Older one is introverted.
The stereotypical I gets a T and not uncommonly a J free to the door. Also, introversion makes you prone to be evil and you are more likely disposed for diabolical deals and treachery.
You don't tell everyone your backstory? Must be a bad person then.

Authors love the E-hero versus I-counterpart/rival duel. Well, usually the E wins.
No friends? Sorry, but you suck.
"Good evening, gentlemen! Please pay attention. I am a reformed vampire, which is to say, I am a bundle of suppressed instincts held together with spit and coffee. It would be wrong to say that violent, tearing carnage does not come easily to me. It's not tearing your throats out that doesn't come easily to me. Please don't make it any harder."

~Maladict, Monstrous Regiment
Anthile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 05:30 AM   Artifice Orisit's time 25th-February-2009, 04:30 PM    #16
Artifice Orisit
Formerly Cognisant

I think this is referring to the "Stoic" archetype, whereby an often silent member of the hero's band turns out to be one of the most powerful members, maybe even lacking fear in some robotic way. I wonder what the archtypes would be if re-written as per the typical behaviour of introverted people; sure they'd be less theatrical but it would make a much deeper story.

Also to an extrovert who may have the habit of babbling when nervous the ability to remain quiet and reserved can be interoperated as confidence. However this is ironic since most introverts become more introverted when nervous and may see the ability to dominate a conversation as confidence.
Artifice Orisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 06:28 AM   Ghost1986's time 25th-February-2009, 12:28 PM    #17
Ghost1986

if that were true i wouldn't have to try so hard to get women.
Ghost1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 07:09 AM   FacetiousPersona's time 25th-February-2009, 07:09 AM    #18
FacetiousPersona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1986 View Post
if that were true i wouldn't have to try so hard to get women.
Having any trait to a high extent does not win you every women. If you have every trait to a high extent and you're locked inside a box, it is unlikely a woman will open the box and find you and be attracted to you.
Old 25th-February-2009, 07:17 AM   Kuu's time 25th-February-2009, 01:17 AM    #19
Kuu
__

Only introverts think introverts are cool. Extroverts think we're flawed. Maybe extravert intuitives find us intriguing...

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do Asimov

A sane person to an insane society must appear insane Vonnegut

Man is not meant to have sexual relationships with dairy products Anthile
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 08:12 AM   Reverse Transcriptase's time 25th-February-2009, 12:12 AM    #20
Reverse Transcriptase
"you're a poet whether you like it or not"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
Introverted characters in fiction are often mysterious, they hide a dark secret or an awful truth which makes them interesting for the audience. For some reason introversion is deemed to be a sign of maturity and wisdom. Two brothers? Older one is introverted.
The stereotypical I gets a T and not uncommonly a J free to the door. Also, introversion makes you prone to be evil and you are more likely disposed for diabolical deals and treachery.
You don't tell everyone your backstory? Must be a bad person then.

Authors love the E-hero versus I-counterpart/rival duel. Well, usually the E wins.
No friends? Sorry, but you suck.
Achilles (the loner who's single best friend was killed) won against Hector (the guy with lots of friends and family connections)! Loner vs socialite! Introvert vs Extrovert!

every statement is in some sense true, in some sense false, in some sense meaningless, in some sense true+false, in some sense true+meaningless, in some sense false+meaningless, and in some sense true+false and meaningless.
-Discordian nonsense
Reverse Transcriptase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 02:21 PM   Seducer of the Homeless's time 25th-February-2009, 02:21 PM    #21
Seducer of the Homeless
INFP

people (both Es and Is) comment on how being quiet and reserved but when they do speak it is neccesary. say...........Rappers. the loudmouth, cocky one is seen as an asshole and a bastard, whereas the more quiet rapper comes off as 'cool'. in interview situations

Old 25th-February-2009, 10:50 PM   Artifice Orisit's time 26th-February-2009, 09:50 AM    #22
Artifice Orisit
Formerly Cognisant

Which would be better?

An extroverted girl/boy-friend who thinks the INTP is cool due to a ill-attuned perspective?
Or
An introverted girl/boy-friend who understands an INTP; flaws, insecurities & all?

Rather, which would you prefer?
Artifice Orisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-February-2009, 11:46 PM   mm1991's time 25th-February-2009, 05:46 PM    #23
mm1991

I'd prefer the latter.
Old 25th-February-2009, 11:49 PM   Seducer of the Homeless's time 25th-February-2009, 11:49 PM    #24
Seducer of the Homeless
INFP

obviously the latter

Old 26th-February-2009, 02:13 AM   Ermine's time 25th-February-2009, 07:13 PM    #25
Ermine
is watching and taking notes

The latter definitely. Then I'm not embarrassed/feel like I have to explain myself when the flaws come out.
Old 1st-April-2009, 08:24 AM   chocolate's time 1st-April-2009, 01:24 AM    #26
chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekton View Post
Only introverts think introverts are cool. Extroverts think we're flawed. Maybe extravert intuitives find us intriguing...
Yeah, it's true. I find introverted intuitives intriguing (whoa alliteration).

My last three boyfriends were all introverted intuitives and I didn't plan it that way at all. I don't think it's that they seemed cooler to me though.
I think introverts are attractive to me (and this goes for friends too) because it is more challenging to get to know them, and when you do get to know one, you feel more special to them because you know they don't open up to just anyone. I suppose I am saying that I find introverts more authentic. I think I am attractive to them because I'm not very hyper/extremely extraverted, but I have more energy/enthusiasm that they find attractive.
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2009, 10:15 AM   The Fury's time 1st-April-2009, 10:15 AM    #27
The Fury
is licking himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Which would be better?

An extroverted girl/boy-friend who thinks the INTP is cool due to a ill-attuned perspective?
Or
An introverted girl/boy-friend who understands an INTP; flaws, insecurities & all?

Rather, which would you prefer?

Which would you rather be.

An extroverted person who is chatty, charismatic and gets plenty of women/men.

Or an introvert who isn't able to chat to the other sex easily and can come off rather eccentric.

We can't really discuss these sort of topics objectively. There are always different sides. Introverts and extroverts both have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither are better to be.

Latin Proverb
The Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-April-2009, 03:22 PM   Seducer of the Homeless's time 3rd-April-2009, 03:22 PM    #28
Seducer of the Homeless
INFP

the latter

Old 3rd-April-2009, 04:16 PM   Sugarpop's time 3rd-April-2009, 05:16 PM    #29
Sugarpop
accepts advice on his English

I think society as a whole is looking for easy-going extroverts that understand people without being too hyper - or possibly an introvert who can handle people well. Point is: Not hyper, not shy. That would probably put you in the middle of the spectrum.

The ideal is quiet, but not out of fright, and speaks with authority. When he speaks, everybody listens.