Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology > MBTI & Typology Archive

Old 3rd-May-2009, 03:05 AM   zephryi's time 2nd-May-2009, 10:05 PM    #1
zephryi

Default Great Gatsby and MBTI

So, after an odd turn of events, I've ended up with the topic of Great Gatsby and MBTI for an English essay. However, even after looking back through the book, I can't decide exactly what type Tom, Daisy, and Gatsby would be. So far I have:

Tom- ESxx
Daisy- xxFx
Gatsby- xNxJ

So I was hoping that perhaps someone could help me out with their own opinion on the matter, or at least something new to consider.

Thanks~
zephryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-May-2009, 03:36 AM   Ermine's time 2nd-May-2009, 08:36 PM    #2
Ermine
is watching and taking notes

Default Re: Great Gatsby and MBTI

In my opinion:

Tom: extreme ESTJ
Daisy: ESFP
Gatsby: INFJ

What do you plan on doing with the essay?
Old 3rd-May-2009, 03:52 AM   zephryi's time 2nd-May-2009, 10:52 PM    #3
zephryi

I was leaning towards Tom as an ESTJ, though a lot of his thinking seems irrational and more subjective to me- especially when he's speaking of social darwinism, though he isn't very concerned with others' feelings, which I suppose is more important.

For Daisy, I keep seeing her typed as an introvert for some reason, though I can't particularly see why. What I'm really wondering about, however, is the P you have. I can see it when she's saying "What do people plan?" and the like, and yet she seems to exude Fe to me, trying to keep a semblance of harmony and appropriate appearance such as when Tom is on the phone "with his girl" during dinner. I'm not certain either way, but I'd like to know what you thought.

And for Gatsby, an I? I keep wanting to say that for some reason, but I couldn't find any good evidence for it personally...

Anyways, the essay is going to be something like: If Gatsby hadn't been so occupied with the past (and hadn't have died), looking through MBTI, how would a relationship between Daisy and Gatsby have played out? (And if I have time,) would Daisy have been more satisfied in a relationship with Tom or Gatsby?

It's a clumsy topic (especially since MBTI focus isn't on relationships >>), and I have a lot of kinks to work out tomorrow, but I thought it'd be a more interesting topic than something like "time references in Great Gatsby and their impact on the novel."
--
Old 3rd-May-2009, 05:05 AM   Ermine's time 2nd-May-2009, 10:05 PM    #4
Ermine
is watching and taking notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephryi View Post
For Daisy, I keep seeing her typed as an introvert for some reason, though I can't particularly see why. What I'm really wondering about, however, is the P you have. I can see it when she's saying "What do people plan?" and the like, and yet she seems to exude Fe to me, trying to keep a semblance of harmony and appropriate appearance such as when Tom is on the phone "with his girl" during dinner. I'm not certain either way, but I'd like to know what you thought.

And for Gatsby, an I? I keep wanting to say that for some reason, but I couldn't find any good evidence for it personally...

Anyways, the essay is going to be something like: If Gatsby hadn't been so occupied with the past (and hadn't have died), looking through MBTI, how would a relationship between Daisy and Gatsby have played out? (And if I have time,) would Daisy have been more satisfied in a relationship with Tom or Gatsby?

It's a clumsy topic (especially since MBTI focus isn't on relationships >>), and I have a lot of kinks to work out tomorrow, but I thought it'd be a more interesting topic than something like "time references in Great Gatsby and their impact on the novel."
--
I think Daisy's a P because she doesn't seem to hold that much importance on plans. For example, she loved Gatsby all along, but was flexible enough to marry Tom instead. She's also pretty flighty.

And Gatsby is definitely an I. He explains to Nick that he doesn't like parties and only throws huge parties to impress Daisy. Throughout the book he keeps the socializing to the bare essentials and doesn't talk just for the sake of talking. He also doesn't have lots of friends. In fact, he treats Nick like one of a few friends in his life. I would give you page numbers for that but I don't own the book.

And I beg to differ. The MBTI is all about relationships between family, friends, lovers, any kind of relationship.
Old 3rd-May-2009, 05:56 AM   zephryi's time 3rd-May-2009, 12:56 AM    #5
zephryi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
And Gatsby is definitely an I. He explains to Nick that he doesn't like parties and only throws huge parties to impress Daisy. Throughout the book he keeps the socializing to the bare essentials and doesn't talk just for the sake of talking. He also doesn't have lots of friends. In fact, he treats Nick like one of a few friends in his life. I would give you page numbers for that but I don't own the book.

And I beg to differ. The MBTI is all about relationships between family, friends, lovers, any kind of relationship.
*nods* I thought more about Gatsby being introverted after posting, and it does seem to make sense, especially with your latter two points. (I don't seem to remember the first in the text, however. Guess I'll have to go text diving again.)

And MBTI was originally created, if I recall correctly, to place people into a suitable job during wartime for efficiency, and it's still used today for finding suitable positions and figuring out team dynamics. However, beyond that, I haven't seen much work in relationships outside work, such as friendships, or couples. There is a system created by the Typelogic team, but nothing close to the relationship theories present in, for example, socionics, which has general relationships, group dynamics, and couple dynamics as I recall. However, if you know of some resources on MBTI & relationships, it'd really be helpful if you could point me to them. I would love to be proven wrong on this right about now. XD
--
Old 3rd-May-2009, 11:40 AM   mikal's time 3rd-May-2009, 12:40 PM    #6
mikal

Gatsby is introverted for sure. Remember his funeral? Only his father, Nick and servants were there. No friends from his big parties. He was a lonely man.

Daisy- mindless bitch.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-May-2009, 04:42 PM   zephryi's time 3rd-May-2009, 11:42 AM    #7
zephryi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Daisy- mindless bitch.
Whenever I see a statement like that, I can't help but think of two sections of text:

[To Tom] "'Did I?' She looked at me. 'I can't seem to remember, but I think we talked about the Nordic race. Yes, I'm sure we did. It sort of crept up on us and the first thing you know--'"

[Daisy] "'"All right," I said, "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool-- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."'"

I think that first line is pretty spectacular.
Old 14th-April-2010, 09:51 AM   intuitivet's time 14th-April-2010, 09:51 AM    #8
intuitivet
You Know You're Better Than This

windows_xp_2003firefox

Me and my sister arrived at ESFP for Gatsby (he was a bit confusing though because of his act and his true self).
Daisy is just plain evil (I HATE her).
Tom, I oddly liked, maybe ESTJ/ISTJ.
Narrator man, Nick, doesn't have a personality as far as I can see (being the observer to what unfolded, 'audience's eyes').
Jordan, I think ExTP
Myrtle is a wuss, but maybe INFP/ISFP?
George....no clue with him
Owl Eyes, quite crazy, in wonder at things, maybe xNxP.

http://nefip.wordpress.com/
intuitivet is offline   Reply With Quote