Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > The Lounge > The Lounge Archive

Old 29th-September-2009, 09:57 AM   Reverse Transcriptase's time 29th-September-2009, 01:57 AM    #1
Reverse Transcriptase
"you're a poet whether you like it or not"

windows_xp_2003firefox
Default What do you do when the INTPforum is down?

What do you do when the INTPforum is down? Ya know, hypothetically speaking, if our wonderful forum ever would go down, what would you do?

I went and did some light trolling in the INFJ forum. (But justified! My INFJ mom is driving me nuts.) My introduction thread was "I Hate INFJs" and I got 61 responses with a single post!

I even... and I feel dirty about this... went to INTPcentral and got totally engrossed in the thread: "Why do the partners of INTPs show the highest level of dissatisfaction?"

And then I went into the attic and tried to find some of my old computer games (like "Homeworld" and "Morrowind") but I didn't find them. :-/

edit//
I also thought about how sad it was that I didn't have the AIM contacts for anyone here, except Sapphire Harp.
So write this down: civilianjones. Next time the forum is down, bother me! I'm also adding-to-contacts the AIM addresses that I can find.

every statement is in some sense true, in some sense false, in some sense meaningless, in some sense true+false, in some sense true+meaningless, in some sense false+meaningless, and in some sense true+false and meaningless.
-Discordian nonsense
Reverse Transcriptase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 09:59 AM   Anthile's time 29th-September-2009, 10:59 AM    #2
Anthile
Nothing but contempt

windows_vistaopera
Default Re: What do you do when the INTPforum is down?

IRC or watching anime, at the moment.
"Good evening, gentlemen! Please pay attention. I am a reformed vampire, which is to say, I am a bundle of suppressed instincts held together with spit and coffee. It would be wrong to say that violent, tearing carnage does not come easily to me. It's not tearing your throats out that doesn't come easily to me. Please don't make it any harder."

~Maladict, Monstrous Regiment
Anthile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 10:11 AM   Ragnar's time 29th-September-2009, 10:11 AM    #3
Ragnar
A Master From Germany

linuxsusefirefox

For the latest update as to ASO Krazy Kops routine see: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=4472

And note that nothing lasts forever. We must face infinity as brave men do.

However you can also see that the forum will be away for up to 48 hours during the move, so find something pleasant during that time. *wonders if half will never return after the move*

Old 29th-September-2009, 10:16 AM   Melkor's time 29th-September-2009, 10:16 AM    #4
Melkor
*Silent antagonist*

windows_xp_2003ie

Oh, thats easy.

I just get a few pages of file paper, draw out a rough sketch of the forum index, then colour code each subforum, before getting colour specific envelopes to represent their content.
Then I'll place a few scraps of paper in each enevelope, with various sub-forum-specific topics within, as well as a few hypothetical topics, that might be made in the future.

I then try my best to write a reply on the flipside of each scrap of paper in each enevelope but it gets gradually more and more difficult, because sometimes the pencil breaks, or people bug me, or my pen tears a topic and I have to start again, or I run out of space and have to write on the enevlope or sometimes the whole thing blows out the window for a while and I have to restart the server which takes a few days and when I'm done it's as if no-one has posted and I get very frustrated.

It's worth it though.:3

"I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core."
Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 10:25 AM   Cogwulf's time 29th-September-2009, 10:25 AM    #5
Cogwulf
Is actually an INTJ

windows_vistafirefox

Well last night I went out to a club at the behest of my flatmates, and it was shite. People were crammed into bars like KFC chickens, the queues for drinks were nearly an hour long, the music was boring and too loud and I thought someone was sick on the leg of my trousers but on later inspection I think it is actually Dooleys or a similar drink.
And they had no Jagermeister and I really had a craving for it.
Old 29th-September-2009, 06:47 PM   Jennywocky's time 29th-September-2009, 01:48 PM    #6
Jennywocky
Kratunkulous schnunk

windows_vistaie

I hike the Appalachian trial, go skydiver, run top-secret missions for the US government using really cool spy equivalent, write scratch-and-sniff romance novels, visit my Algerian lover in Paris, swim the English channel, climb Mt. Everest, go cliff-diving in South America, explore the deepest trenches of the Pacific ocean, get my nails done, cure cancer, and raise baby elephants to play Carnegie Hall.

...Hypothetically speaking!

(alternate pasttime: I whine and eat Ben n Jerry's ice cream.)

"It has always been the perogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor." ~ The Kindly Ones
Jennywocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 06:53 PM   Inappropriate Behavior's time 29th-September-2009, 01:53 PM    #7
Inappropriate Behavior
is peeing on the carpet

windows_vistaie

I stare at that Exceeded Bandwidth message until my eyes water. Then I refresh the page in hopes that it has come back on. Repeat.

Or I just do one of the tens of tens of other things I do in an average week.

^^I may very well be joking. You don't know and I'm not telling.
Just remember it's possible.
Inappropriate Behavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 07:06 PM   Linada's time 29th-September-2009, 07:06 PM    #8
Linada
Redshirt

macossafari

I convinced myself to buy a Sony touch ereader. Absolutely essential for annotating academic reading, honest.
I also played some Fallout 3. I insist on exploring the whole map, so i still havn't finished. And the edition with expansions is coming out soon.

All in all i am being very good at procrastinating on revising for my exams in two weeks time.
Old 29th-September-2009, 07:38 PM   Anthile's time 29th-September-2009, 08:38 PM    #9
Anthile
Nothing but contempt

windows_vistaopera

Opera has for this purpose the useful "Reload every x minutes" function which I always use when a site is temporarily down and I bet there is a similar FF add-on.
"Good evening, gentlemen! Please pay attention. I am a reformed vampire, which is to say, I am a bundle of suppressed instincts held together with spit and coffee. It would be wrong to say that violent, tearing carnage does not come easily to me. It's not tearing your throats out that doesn't come easily to me. Please don't make it any harder."

~Maladict, Monstrous Regiment
Anthile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 07:38 PM   RubberDucky451's time 29th-September-2009, 07:38 PM    #10
RubberDucky451

macosfirefox

I refreshed the page about 20 times, then gave up. Then i imagined the reasons the forums were really down, possibly a Croatian conspiracy?

A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.
RubberDucky451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-September-2009, 08:07 PM   Yellow's time 29th-September-2009, 01:07 PM    #11
Yellow
she's dangerous

windows_xp_2003ie

I give a disappointed sigh and proceed to actually get some work done... but then I check it again about every hour.. just in case.
Old 29th-September-2009, 08:52 PM   Kidege's time 29th-September-2009, 02:52 PM    #12
Kidege
is a ze

windows_xp_2003firefox

I write replies to topics in txt files.

I grab a book and read in front of the laptop so I can refresh every few minutes.

I read fanfic.

And one particularly bad night I wrote fanfic.
Old 29th-September-2009, 08:59 PM   saffyangelis's time 29th-September-2009, 09:00 PM    #13
saffyangelis
Bandwidth Angel

linuxubuntufirefox

Kidege! =O

(Can we read it? =P)

And personally, I just went to a bookshop and ordered a couple new books, and then headed towards one of the forums I usually lurk on and introduced myself... nothing too interesting really =P

If the forum went down for a long time, I'd probably end up letting myself read more and more about random subjects (I was also reading a few pages on how to make moonshine a couple days ago) so I'd end up remembering random stuff just to confuse people... (and because you can always find something interesting if you look long enough)
Old 30th-September-2009, 12:28 AM   Latro's time 29th-September-2009, 07:28 PM    #14
Latro

windows_vistafirefox

Nothing different from when it's up basically: INTJf, another forum, and INTPf IRC. Also various forms of work.
Latro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:11 AM   Zero's time 30th-September-2009, 01:11 AM    #15
Zero
The Fiend

linuxubuntufirefox

I do everything I normally do. I might spend a little more time doing what I usually do. I like to surf the internet, play games, watch anime and I'm fairly active on livejournal. Occasionally I might do homework. I also read when the mood strikes me.

I'm not terribly loyal to one thing and I can't say I'm a mega poster here. I know newbies who've already passed up my post count.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:23 AM   loveofreason's time 30th-September-2009, 11:23 AM    #16
loveofreason
polymorph

windows_vistafirefox

I'd phone Melkor and giggle at his sexy accent.

Just like any other day.

Traveller, there are no roads. Roads are made by traveling. spanish proverb.

Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything. Between the two, my life flows. Nisargadatta Maharaj.
loveofreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:58 AM   Zero's time 30th-September-2009, 01:58 AM    #17
Zero
The Fiend

linuxubuntufirefox

Phone.......
Old 30th-September-2009, 02:27 AM   loveofreason's time 30th-September-2009, 12:27 PM    #18
loveofreason
polymorph

windows_vistafirefox

...yeah...

it's a mysterious device used for transporting the voice... and Timelords too.

Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything. Between the two, my life flows. Nisargadatta Maharaj.
Old 30th-September-2009, 02:31 AM   Zero's time 30th-September-2009, 02:31 AM    #19
Zero
The Fiend

linuxubuntufirefox

I do not like phones...
Old 30th-September-2009, 02:43 AM   loveofreason's time 30th-September-2009, 12:43 PM    #20
loveofreason
polymorph

windows_vistafirefox

*dials Zero*

Old 30th-September-2009, 03:13 AM   Tunesimah's time 29th-September-2009, 09:13 PM    #21
Tunesimah
Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man

macossafari

Find a new way to procrastinate. Which means combining random words with intp in google...

Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll do something interesting as I procrastinate... like write music or solve a puzzle. So I've attempted some of that while INTP Forum is down...

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting.
-G. Wilhelm Leibniz
Tunesimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 03:40 AM   Zero's time 30th-September-2009, 03:40 AM    #22
Zero
The Fiend

linuxubuntufirefox

I'll answer txt messages. I'm generally a somewhat isolated person.

People, as a whole are too complicated. I can't think about that if I'm going to put effort into knowing people. I can't analyse them (though I do). I can't think of the influences that have made them what they are or what they think (even though I do). Every factor that goes into making one person a person is mind boggling.

And I hate phones. I hate that people can demand your attention with just a voice, as if they're god. And it's all a bunch of electrical sounds the phone companies butcher to save a buck. Leaving the brain to work harder to fill in the missing gaps. Which my brain, in particular, is not good at doing. It's the most demanding way of communication.
Old 30th-September-2009, 04:10 AM   echoplex's time 29th-September-2009, 11:10 PM    #23
echoplex
Happen.

windows_xp_2003opera

I'm pretty sure the voices in my head could organize their own forum if they wanted to. It's tough to say who would be the mod though. Right now, it's a bunch of trolls it seems. *sigh*

Until then, I'll resort to having an "excuse" to get more exercise. hmmm, perhaps this place is bad for my figure.
Old 30th-September-2009, 05:08 AM   Kuu's time 29th-September-2009, 11:08 PM    #24
Kuu
__

macossafari

after obsessively visiting the page several times, I end up going to my rss feed and reading all the crap that has inevitably accumulated. Or listen to music. I could work, but procrastination time is sacred!

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do — Asimov

A sane person to an insane society must appear insane — Vonnegut

Man is not meant to have sexual relationships with dairy products — Anthile
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:02 PM   Fleur's time 30th-September-2009, 03:03 PM    #25
Fleur
The Boogeycat

windows_xp_2003firefox

What do I do when there forum's down? Either play some silly game/explore the Internet/write/draw something and randomly refresh the page or wander around like The Flying Dutchman and make other people wish the forum was working perfectly.
Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:10 PM   preilemus's time 30th-September-2009, 08:10 AM    #26
preilemus

macossafari

i go on irc and say, "waaaaaaahhh!!! noo foruuum!!! :'("

then i sit up in my room twiddling my thumbs thinking about how much better my life will be once i get this glorious timesink back.
preilemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2009, 01:56 PM   Cogwulf's time 30th-September-2009, 01:56 PM    #27
Cogwulf
Is actually an INTJ

windows_vistafirefox

I need the forum to go down now so that I can complete a test I've got to do
Old 1st-October-2009, 08:27 AM   Reverse Transcriptase's time 1st-October-2009, 12:27 AM    #28
Reverse Transcriptase

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwulf View Post
I need the forum to go down now so that I can complete a test I've got to do
REQUEST BAN
( it's just because we love you and want you to do well on the test <3 )

every statement is in some sense true, in some sense false, in some sense meaningless, in some sense true+false, in some sense true+meaningless, in some sense false+meaningless, and in some sense true+false and meaningless.
-Discordian nonsense
Old 1st-October-2009, 08:43 AM   Claverhouse's time 1st-October-2009, 08:43 AM    #29
Claverhouse
Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme

linuxsusefirefox

As the whole forum is going to be gone for up to 48 hours or more, let's pretend we are doing it for him.

Claverhouse

The whole of modern life is predicated on the curious idea that no one person is any better in any way than another.
Claverhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2009, 09:50 AM   The Fury's time 1st-October-2009, 09:50 AM    #30
The Fury
is licking himself.

windows_xp_2003firefox

I usually sacrifice a goat or if available a small child to the internet gods begging them for their forgiveness against whatever transgressions I may have caused and promising that from now on I'll only download half as much porn.

If that doesn't work I'll blame it all on an unbeliever and hope that by killing them I'll appease the gods.

Latin Proverb
The Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-October-2009, 06:59 PM   Anling's time 2nd-October-2009, 11:59 AM    #31
Anling

windows_xp_2003ie

I binged on web comics and watched documentaries.
Anling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-October-2009, 07:03 PM   Tyria's time 2nd-October-2009, 08:03 PM    #32
Tyria
Ryuusa bakuryuu

windows_vistaie

Listen to The Cure in a dark corner for hours at a time. Do my taxes. Plot world domination.

The mighty are laid low. Good will ultimately triumph.
Tyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-October-2009, 08:31 PM   Yellow's time 2nd-October-2009, 01:31 PM    #33
Yellow
she's dangerous

windows_xp_2003ie

Oh! I found the funnest thing while the forum was off! its www.morphthing.com and you can upload pictures or just take the pictures of famous people and schmoosh them together...

Here's Michael Jackson and Marilyn Monroe...

Old 2nd-October-2009, 10:02 PM   Reverse Transcriptase's time 2nd-October-2009, 02:02 PM    #34
Reverse Transcriptase

windows_xp_2003firefox

ahhh Yellow! Why would you show that to us!

I want to unsee it!

-Discordian nonsense
Old 3rd-October-2009, 08:43 AM   Cavallier's time 3rd-October-2009, 12:43 AM    #35
Cavallier
Oh damn.

windows_xp_2003firefox

This time around:

Refreshed obsessively for a bit. Made myself some gin and tonics and refreshed obsessively for a bit longer. Surfed for a while until I found a Challah bread recipe and decided to make it.

The next day I had two GIANT loaves of Challah, a hangover, and the realization that I have fitted this forum and it's various miscreants frightening quickly and lovingly into my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Challah.JPG  
Old 3rd-October-2009, 08:06 PM   Reverse Transcriptase's time 3rd-October-2009, 12:06 PM    #36
Reverse Transcriptase

windows_xp_2003firefox

Awwww, Cavalry, you definitely fit into the forum well. (can I call you that? It's so much easier to spell than cavalleirose.)

Bread is delicious. Hangovers are BBLEHHHHH. Challah bread pieces should be ripped off, not cut with a knife.

-Discordian nonsense
Old 3rd-October-2009, 08:08 PM   Cogwulf's time 3rd-October-2009, 08:09 PM    #37
Cogwulf
Is actually an INTJ

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallierose View Post
This time around:
The next day I had two GIANT loaves of Challah, a hangover, and the realization that I have fitted this forum and it's various miscreants frightening quickly and lovingly into my life.
Old 3rd-October-2009, 08:31 PM   Cavallier's time 3rd-October-2009, 12:31 PM    #38
Cavallier
Oh damn.

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Transcriptase View Post
Awwww, Cavalry, you definitely fit into the forum well. (can I call you that? It's so much easier to spell than cavalleirose.)

Bread is delicious. Hangovers are BBLEHHHHH. Challah bread pieces should be ripped off, not cut with a knife.
Cavalry is fine...I misspell my own name a lot when I'm in a hurry

Ah, should have realized what with all the bumps and stuff. It did make WONDERFUL french toast though!