Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Psychology & Neuroscience

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:04 AM   Stoic Beverage's time 23rd-November-2010, 10:04 PM    #1
Stoic Beverage
has a wide pancake of knowledge
 
Stoic Beverage's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not sure, but it's rather chilly.
Posts: 370
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

In my own experiences, I've found that more intelligent people are much more prone to depression, self-loathing, etc..
I was going to go to google to see if I couldn't find some kind of study on it, but I figured I'd rather just ask you guys. As far as you've seen, do you think this holds true? If so, why do you think that is?
__________________
I love humanity, it's the people I can't stand.
-Charles M. Schulz
Stoic Beverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:27 AM   pjoa09's time 24th-November-2010, 11:27 AM    #2
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,724
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

made me feel better.

i must be fucking intelligent.

but no really I think the thoughtful are prone to painting walls black and contemplating ways to kill themselves.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:37 AM   EyeSeeCold's time 23rd-November-2010, 08:37 PM    #3
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind
 
EyeSeeCold's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 6,682
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

'Intelligent'...or 'more conscious'?
__________________
"It's a cold world out there... Sometimes I think I'm getting a little frosty myself..."

EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:41 AM   pjoa09's time 24th-November-2010, 11:41 AM    #4
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,724
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
'Intelligent'...or 'more conscious'?
lol what? I was being sarcastic with a slight hope that I actually am more intelligent.

Just running with the Stoic Beverage's premises.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:46 AM   EyeSeeCold's time 23rd-November-2010, 08:46 PM    #5
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind
 
EyeSeeCold's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 6,682
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

^ Not you, OP.
__________________
"It's a cold world out there... Sometimes I think I'm getting a little frosty myself..."

EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:53 AM   pjoa09's time 24th-November-2010, 11:53 AM    #6
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,724
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

i declare my self as self-centered.which i am.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:55 AM   Fukyo's time 24th-November-2010, 05:55 AM    #7
Fukyo
spiteful weirdo
 
Fukyo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,625
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Yes, I have seen studies, of unknown credibility.

Even if it were accurate, it's purpose is just to be a pitiful comforting notion.
__________________
Get a little bit of bourbon in ya,
Go a little bit suburban and go crazy.
Fukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 04:57 AM   Methuselah's time 23rd-November-2010, 10:57 PM    #8
Methuselah
tl;dr
 
Methuselah's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 149
macossafari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukyo View Post
Even if it were accurate, it's purpose is just to be a pitiful comforting notion.
INTPs are known for mental self-indulgence.
__________________
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself."
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 05:01 AM   Fukyo's time 24th-November-2010, 06:01 AM    #9
Fukyo
spiteful weirdo
 
Fukyo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,625
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
INTPs are known for mental self-indulgence.
Are you referring to the indulgence of ego, or indulgence in the world of ideas and theories?
__________________
Get a little bit of bourbon in ya,
Go a little bit suburban and go crazy.
Fukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-November-2010, 05:02 AM   Methuselah's time 23rd-November-2010, 11:02 PM    #10
Methuselah
tl;dr
 
Methuselah's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 149
macossafari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukyo View Post
Are you referring to the indulgence of ego, or indulgence in the world of ideas and theories?
Both. Often, as in this case, at the same time.
__________________
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself."
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-March-2011, 03:07 AM   socialexpat's time 5th-March-2011, 03:07 AM    #11
socialexpat
Bluelight
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 139
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I think it does yes.
Someone who is light minded will be easier distracted by the every day things, hopping from one distraction to another not standing still to think what else is possible.
Someone who is or reaches to being intelligent often thinks outside the box from the every day life they are leading.
It is known that intelligent people sometimes come up with the most impossible questions. They are often more overloaded with "what if's".
Seeking for questions to a problem, seeking for answers, seeking for solutions and in general seeking to improve what they already possess ..
Without questions, answers, improvements humanity would be still in the year 1 BC.
Failure to it, that is the cause of depression to highly intelligent people if they don't handle a proper way of thinking.
There are examples enough about that.. The engineers of the Columbia and Challenger for example, they must have had a serious lashback.
Same for investigators that make a mistake.
__________________
I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions (Fukushima 50).

"Тот, кто не скучает по Советскому Союзу, не имеет сердца. Тот, кто не хочет вернуть его обратно, не имеет мозга."
socialexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 04:20 AM   A mathematical equation's time 6th-March-2011, 04:20 AM    #12
A mathematical equation
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I think intelligent people are more prone to depression because they are usually introverts and thusly have a lacking social life. Not uncommonly they are referred to as 'dorks' or whatnot and become social outcasts.
A mathematical equation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 06:04 AM   Artsu Tharaz's time 6th-March-2011, 04:04 PM    #13
Artsu Tharaz
easily entertained
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 1,187
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

It seems intuitively obvious that this be the case. Nevertheless, I'll need to let the idea sit with me for a while before I feel that I can truly say I understand why.
__________________
kick it old school

Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 01:31 PM   Doc_Lomax's time 6th-March-2011, 07:31 AM    #14
Doc_Lomax
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

No.

Not clinical depression, at least. Thought-ridden dysthymia, perhaps.

No studies I know of support that IQ and depression are even correlated. That said:

With much wisdom comes much pain (to paraphrase Solomon, I believe).

Ignorance is bliss. (Anyone who's been around those with IQs from 40-70 knows they are generally a pretty happy group.)

So if you go intuitive, you know there's something to it.
Doc_Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 02:00 PM   Yet's time 6th-March-2011, 03:00 PM    #15
Yet
Member
 
Yet's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 352
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. (Anyone who's been around those with IQs from 40-70 knows they are generally a pretty happy group.)
nope ... not neccessarily a happy group. IQ does not correlate with being joyfull and happiness as far as I know. I know grumpy and generally unhappy 40 < IQ < 70 and happy chappy ones and lots of inbetweens on this continuum.
Their happiness depends for quite a deal on how their life is organized and daily routine comprehensible for them.

-edit .. ow I saw this is your first post: welcome doc -
Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 04:13 PM   socialexpat's time 6th-March-2011, 04:13 PM    #16
socialexpat
Bluelight
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 139
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I think that the main problem with people with a low iq is the influences they endure in their life.
If you look at certain tribes in Africa and the Amazon ... You may find that those people aren't very developed, still they find numerous way to survive and to live a life comfortably without further worries.
__________________
I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions (Fukushima 50).

"Тот, кто не скучает по Советскому Союзу, не имеет сердца. Тот, кто не хочет вернуть его обратно, не имеет мозга."
socialexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-March-2011, 07:46 PM   BigApplePi's time 6th-March-2011, 02:46 PM    #17
BigApplePi
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City (The Big Apple) & State
Posts: 8,988
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

First off I would think more intelligent people would be less prone to depression simply because they can deal with stuff better. On the other hand, they have more to deal with, so maybe it evens out. I'm not aware of any introvert/extrovert correlation to intelligence.

If this is not a very intelligent observation, I refuse to be depressed about it.

Added: I believe it's known more intelligent people do correlate well with general healthfulness. That would make them less prone to depression.
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-March-2011, 04:28 PM   SkyWalker's time 10th-March-2011, 05:28 PM    #18
SkyWalker
observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming down & joining y'all for mundane stuff... when out of fuel...
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 986
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I've been invited to some high IQ clubs before, and you are right: lots of them are depressed. or they are just bitching about everything. "ohhh i am so intelligent, but society has no place for me!!". They are a bunch of whiners! They should get their asses kicked back to reality. I usually get angry faces in those clubs because they start to hate me for me telling them stuff like this to actually help them.
So intelligent? They dont even see reality. They live in fantasy land and the narcissitic concept of "its all because i am so intelligent" makes them unable to ever get out. Intelligence is not very helpful if you're actually blind as hell in real life .



I would never tell my child "ohhh you are so smart", that breeds narcissism like hell. Instead I would say "at least you are not stupid" or something like that


I am never depressed, because i am able to accept shit situations and then make a plan to get out.
Of course I can have my setbacks in life, but I never stay 'down' for long. Its not useful.
Being depressed for smart people is usually about not accepting the situation for what it is, and staying in fantasy land, and then the gap between those 2 is what hurts if it is pushed in your face everytime.


If you just accept the shit position that you are in (instead of denying it for yourself), you can make a real plan. If you dont accept it, you stay in fantasy land and unable to do anything about reality.
So accept reality and then say "OK I AM HERE, NOW HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS". but some people dont seem to understand that, instead they like to sooth themselves with "I am not actually in this position, my intelligence makes me sour above it automatically, it is just because the world is unfair to intelligent people like me, it is not my fault since I am so intelligent, it must be the fault of the stupid others".

So they actually hate everybody else. They say the stupid are sheep! But how can you hate a sheep??? Its just an animal?? It would be like hating a goat? I am in this shit position because of the goat grazing in the grass!!! stupid goat!!! all because the goats in the grass are so stupid, that is why i cannot have a life!!
haha see how ridiculous that sounds??

i always push that kind of humor in their face to show them how ridiculous they are... but their narcissitic ego defense walls them from it, and then they dont like me
i guess you have to slap them or something, i dont know how to wake them up
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-March-2011, 04:39 PM   BigApplePi's time 10th-March-2011, 11:39 AM    #19
BigApplePi
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City (The Big Apple) & State
Posts: 8,988
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I am never depressed.
Of course I can have my setbacks in life, but I never stay 'down' for long. Its not useful.
Being depressed for smart people is usually about not accepting the situation for what it is, and staying in fantasy land, and then the gap between those 2 is what hurts if it is pushed in your face everytime.

I've been to high IQ clubs, and you are right: lots of them are depressed. or they are just bitching about everything. "ohhh i am so intelligent, but society has no place for me!!". They are a bunch of whiners! They should get their asses kicked back to reality. I usually get kicked out of those clubs because they start to hate me for me telling them stuff like this to actually help them.
So intelligent? They dont even see reality. They live in fantasy land and the narcissitic concept of "its all because i am so intelligent" makes them unable to ever get out. Intelligence is not very helpful if you're actually blind as hell in real life .


If you just accept the shit position that you are in (instead of denying it for yourself), you can make a real plan. If you dont accept it, you stay in fantasy land and unable to do anything about reality.
So accept reality and then say "OK I AM HERE, NOW HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS". but some people dont seem to understand that.


I would never tell my child "ohhh you are so smart", that breeds narcissism like hell. Instead I would say "at least you are not stupid" or something like that
Smart is the ability to do stuff. If I were to meet a "feeble-minded" person and knew that and saw him tie his shoelace, I would say, "Wow. I thought he couldn't do that. But look at his dexterity. Look at his ability to remember. Look at that neat bow." He could tie a right smart bow and that makes him partly smart.
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2011, 03:23 AM   Zionoxis's time 10th-March-2011, 10:23 PM    #20
Zionoxis
Member
 
Zionoxis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 438
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I consider myself to be a pretty happy person and I would like to believe I'm no where close to being stupid. As usual, INTP....lazy.
__________________

Sometimes, the most logical conclusion is one that contradicts itself. Such are the problems worth solving.
Zionoxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-March-2011, 01:34 AM   socialexpat's time 12th-March-2011, 01:34 AM    #21
socialexpat
Bluelight
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 139
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yet View Post
nope ... not neccessarily a happy group. IQ does not correlate with being joyfull and happiness as far as I know. I know grumpy and generally unhappy 40 < IQ < 70 and happy chappy ones and lots of inbetweens on this continuum.
Their happiness depends for quite a deal on how their life is organized and daily routine comprehensible for them.

-edit .. ow I saw this is your first post: welcome doc -
They also are very prone to murder, criminality, petty crime, drug use .. and other currents of the underworld... Which induces depression in to a downward spiral. Untill they commit suicide or eliminate each other.
Not that everyone is a user or that unstable ofcourse.

And it is not for every country .. I often wonder why it is and why it is not like that for some and certain countries, hoods, neighbourhoods and what not .. Could it be that there is a diffirence between Ethnicities and their origin?

Rated: racism excluded.

Thank you Lynch.
__________________
I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions (Fukushima 50).

"Тот, кто не скучает по Советскому Союзу, не имеет сердца. Тот, кто не хочет вернуть его обратно, не имеет мозга."
socialexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-March-2011, 01:58 AM   The Gopher's time 12th-March-2011, 11:58 AM    #22
The Gopher
I have no idea what I am.
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,667
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Maybe depressed people counteract this irrationality with logic thus seeming more intelligent?
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaire
“You’re like the illicit lovechild of Red Baron and Melkor, except more fluffy"
cheese: I guess I'm a shallow animal lover.

The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-March-2011, 03:14 AM   EditorOne's time 11th-March-2011, 10:14 PM    #23
EditorOne
Resident Member
 
EditorOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,071
windows_xp_2003ie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

True depression has a lot of causes, including just chemical imbalances that can strike anyone.

If, though, you want to talk more about just a morbid outlook, yeah, I think so. If you're smarter you've got two related qualities. First, you can see very well how bad things are. Second, you can see how little it would take to make things better, yet nobody even tries. That's sad.

Personally I remain optimistic and reasonably cheerful most of the time, which I know is not the antithesis of being depressed, but still: The glass is at least half full and with a little luck we'll fill it all the way up. A friend once told me I had, unfortunately, the kind of American "can-do" attitude that got us into Vietnam. Ivve tended to watch that tendency toward unsupported optimism.
__________________
WJW

I think, I think I am, therefore I am.
I think.
-- Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Need a public adjuster? (Yeah, you probably do.)
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-March-2011, 12:56 AM   Jackooboy's time 12th-March-2011, 07:56 PM    #24
Jackooboy
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 398
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Thinking too much becomes a drug.

You start to remove yourself from the physical world.

Catch yourself and come back to reality.

Being an abstract thinker leads to depression, because you rarely find an answer...

Hence obsession follows... creating insanity (repeating the same thing over and over in your mind and expecting a different-- perhaps decisive-- result)...

There's a litany of people who have ended up depressed and suicidal trying to figure things out.
Jackooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2011, 09:56 AM   SkyWalker's time 15th-March-2011, 10:56 AM    #25
SkyWalker
observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming down & joining y'all for mundane stuff... when out of fuel...
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 986
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackooboy View Post
Being an abstract thinker leads to depression, because you rarely find an answer...
.
Abstract thinking is thinking "why NOT to do it". (instead of concrete thinking which is thinking "how to do it")

abstract thinking does not give answers, it gives deeper questions to the questions. (making the original question kind of like the answer).

anyway, i'm a postponer too sometimes when i get into abstract thought for a few days, but i dont lose track of my stability in this reality: i catch up and run concrete stuff for a few days.

depression is per se correlated with abstract thinking, but on an INTP forum it might.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2011, 12:24 PM   ElvenVeil's time 15th-March-2011, 01:24 PM    #26
ElvenVeil
Member
 
ElvenVeil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 305
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I am going to second some of the people here, however, I will do so in my own words

1)Your current social life along with what you have experienced in the past - It seems reasonable to me that those two factors are the most important pieces when you look at why people are depressed.

2)are intelligent people are more likely to be depressed - > I would not be surprised if that was the case; Intelligent people have a tendency towards being the outsider group, both at home and when meeting with other people (schools etc.) . . If you become a social outsider you should all in all have a larger chance if getting back to 1)
So yeah I think it can be said that intelligent people have a greater risk of becoming depressed. However if you are an intelligent rationalist, with a well developed introverted analytical system, you may have an easier time cooping with being an outsider.
__________________
In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere heart of stone
ElvenVeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-March-2011, 04:48 AM   Taniwha's time 16th-March-2011, 04:48 PM    #27
Taniwha
Te Aho
 
Taniwha's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand - Greytown
Posts: 220
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I hope so, I have clinical depression. So I must be ultra intelligent.
Oh, shit I smiled... there goes my intelligence.
Taniwha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-March-2011, 10:19 AM   Hadoblado's time 17th-March-2011, 07:49 PM    #28
Hadoblado
The wooliest cole shoveler *you* will ever meet.
 
Hadoblado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tasmaaaaaania
Posts: 2,461
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I've heard depression is positively correlated with intelligence in females and negatively correlated with intelligence in males. I'm a clinically depressed male... dang...

I heard it one of my psych lectures not too long ago, I'm sure if you were interested you could find the study.
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-March-2011, 08:09 PM   Minuend's time 17th-March-2011, 09:09 PM    #29
Minuend
will eat your face
 
Minuend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,833
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

No.

As long as we are speculating.

People have the ability to get down, they are not immune to tragedies. It's not the intelligence itself that is the determining factor but rather the strategies and methods used to get back. These are determined by a lot of things, a few being; knowledge of how to get back, outside support, a previous positive out look on life in general, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialexpat View Post
I think it does yes.
Someone who is light minded will be easier distracted by the every day things, hopping from one distraction to another not standing still to think what else is possible.
Someone who is or reaches to being intelligent often thinks outside the box from the every day life they are leading.
It is known that intelligent people sometimes come up with the most impossible questions. They are often more overloaded with "what if's".
Seeking for questions to a problem, seeking for answers, seeking for solutions and in general seeking to improve what they already possess .
Then, should they not be better able to get themselves out?

Now, the term intelligence is rather vague to determine, but no matter the perspective of the person, it will be affected by life. It's rare that a normal person think itself to depression. There's a different reason lurking behind. Something that triggered the doubt, the melancholic approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Lomax View Post
Ignorance is bliss. (Anyone who's been around those with IQs from 40-70 knows they are generally a pretty happy group.)
I doubt this. Where I work we have employees of various capabilities, some of them lacking in IQ. They have problems and frustrations, perhaps just a bit different than from ours. Though, perhaps different is not the correct word, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that their problems are "lighter". Not to them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialexpat View Post
I think that the main problem with people with a low iq is the influences they endure in their life.
If you look at certain tribes in Africa and the Amazon ... You may find that those people aren't very developed, still they find numerous way to survive and to live a life comfortably without further worries.
Wat?

1. What makes you think they are less intelligent?

2. There is no such thing as less developed if you are referring to evolution. If you mean technology wise that doesn't make sense as it says nothing of their intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I am never depressed, because i am able to accept shit situations and then make a plan to get out.
Of course I can have my setbacks in life, but I never stay 'down' for long. Its not useful.
Being depressed for smart people is usually about not accepting the situation for what it is, and staying in fantasy land, and then the gap between those 2 is what hurts if it is pushed in your face everytime.


If you just accept the shit position that you are in (instead of denying it for yourself), you can make a real plan. If you dont accept it, you stay in fantasy land and unable to do anything about reality.
So accept reality and then say "OK I AM HERE, NOW HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS". but some people dont seem to understand that, instead they like to sooth themselves with "I am not actually in this position, my intelligence makes me sour above it automatically, it is just because the world is unfair to intelligent people like me, it is not my fault since I am so intelligent, it must be the fault of the stupid others".
Well, it is quite obvious that you have never been depressed. Depression is not an attitude, it's a chemical reaction in the brain. It's way different than feeling blue. When you are depressed, motivation is usually lost. You can't do anything because your precious neurons won't react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialexpat View Post
They also are very prone to murder, criminality, petty crime, drug use .. and other currents of the underworld... Which induces depression in to a downward spiral. Untill they commit suicide or eliminate each other.
Not that everyone is a user or that unstable ofcourse.

And it is not for every country .. I often wonder why it is and why it is not like that for some and certain countries, hoods, neighbourhoods and what not .. Could it be that there is a diffirence between Ethnicities and their origin?
Perhaps because they are being mistreated and excluded from society? They are not guided, they are lone children.

I don't think such people represent the majority of criminals in Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
Maybe depressed people counteract this irrationality with logic thus seeming more intelligent?
Oh, my darling, Emotion is stronger than Logic. Logic is a branch of the Emotion Tree

Actually, it's way too simple to divide it between logic/emotion. Our experience, emotions, desires, needs all influence our logic.

Which means it's not logic at all, it's justification.
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-March-2011, 03:13 AM   digital angel's time 17th-March-2011, 10:13 PM    #30
digital angel
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tax World/In my Mind
Posts: 554
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I'm not sure I can talk about depression.
digital angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-March-2011, 03:24 AM   Thales's time 18th-March-2011, 03:25 AM    #31
Thales
Conscious thinking as instinctive function
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 114
windows_vistaie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

In my case, I'm depressed and I just found out I'm pretty much a dunce.
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-March-2011, 07:45 AM   Hadoblado's time 18th-March-2011, 05:15 PM    #32
Hadoblado
The wooliest cole shoveler *you* will ever meet.
 
Hadoblado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tasmaaaaaania
Posts: 2,461
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

What do you mean you're a dunce? Could you be more clear please?
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-March-2011, 07:51 AM   Thales's time 18th-March-2011, 07:51 AM    #33
Thales
Conscious thinking as instinctive function
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 114
windows_vistaie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

No, my point is just because someone's depressed doesn't mean they're intelligent.
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-March-2011, 06:45 PM   Stoic Beverage's time 18th-March-2011, 12:45 PM    #34
Stoic Beverage
has a wide pancake of knowledge
 
Stoic Beverage's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not sure, but it's rather chilly.
Posts: 370
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
No, my point is just because someone's depressed doesn't mean they're intelligent.
I didn't mean to say or even imply everyone who is depressed is intelligent, or that the intelligent are the only ones who can get depressed. That's not even close to true.
__________________
I love humanity, it's the people I can't stand.
-Charles M. Schulz
Stoic Beverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-March-2011, 04:22 AM   xbox's time 20th-March-2011, 11:22 PM    #35
xbox
Senior Member
 
xbox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 883
windows_vistasafari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I think anyone can be depressed, even intelligent people. Social factors, and frustrations about weaknesses can be sources of depression for anyone. Depression can also be caused by the people around you, a negative environment.

Intelligent people who do not have a healthy outlet, or who aren't able to utilize their knowledge or skills, or feel limited, may feel depressed more often than an intelligent person who has found a healthy outlet.
__________________
-___-
xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-March-2011, 07:36 PM   BigApplePi's time 21st-March-2011, 02:37 PM    #36
BigApplePi
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City (The Big Apple) & State
Posts: 8,988
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I can imagine the following survey:

Ten intelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" Three say, "yes." Three say, "no." The rest say, "It depends."

Ten unintelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" The response is, "Get away from me with your stupid questions."

Conclusion: only four out of twenty were right: It depends, lol.
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-March-2011, 04:55 AM   pjoa09's time 22nd-March-2011, 11:55 AM    #37
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,724
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApplePi View Post
I can imagine the following survey:

Ten intelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" Three say, "yes." Three say, "no." The rest say, "It depends."

Ten unintelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" The response is, "Get away from me with your stupid questions."

Conclusion: only four out of twenty were right: It depends, lol.
I think "It depends" could be adequately interpreted as your intelligence doesn't determine how prone you are to depression.

But then we just run about with the same old question of who is intelligent. What is intelligence? Obviously scoring high on the IQ test doesn't make you intelligent, scoring high in high school doesn't mean you are intelligent, the SAT doesn't, and it keeps on going on. Therefore, 'it depends'.


Are people who are (It depends) are prone to depression?

(It depends)

CORRECT.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-March-2011, 04:00 PM   socialexpat's time 22nd-March-2011, 04:00 PM    #38
socialexpat
Bluelight
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 139
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApplePi View Post
I can imagine the following survey:

Ten intelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" Three say, "yes." Three say, "no." The rest say, "It depends."

Ten unintelligent people are asked, "Are the intelligent more prone to depression?" The response is, "Get away from me with your stupid questions."

Conclusion: only four out of twenty were right: It depends, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
I think "It depends" could be adequately interpreted as your intelligence doesn't determine how prone you are to depression.

But then we just run about with the same old question of who is intelligent. What is intelligence? Obviously scoring high on the IQ test doesn't make you intelligent, scoring high in high school doesn't mean you are intelligent, the SAT doesn't, and it keeps on going on. Therefore, 'it depends'.


Are people who are (It depends) are prone to depression?

(It depends)

CORRECT.
Well ... lol.
__________________
I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions (Fukushima 50).

"Тот, кто не скучает по Советскому Союзу, не имеет сердца. Тот, кто не хочет вернуть его обратно, не имеет мозга."
socialexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-March-2011, 04:18 PM   BigApplePi's time 22nd-March-2011, 11:18 AM    #39
BigApplePi
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City (The Big Apple) & State
Posts: 8,988
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Notice that if intelligence reflects one's capacity to deal with stuff (which stuff?), that my using the words, "It's depends", without spelling out the dependencies reflects my own lack of intelligence to deal with this particular case.
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-March-2011, 09:25 PM   Yet's time 22nd-March-2011, 10:25 PM    #40
Yet
Member
 
Yet's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 352
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I did some googling and found this study
http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...tract/61/4/354

It correlates lower IQ's to some psychiatric disorders
Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-March-2011, 11:22 AM   pjoa09's time 23rd-March-2011, 06:22 PM    #41
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,724
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yet View Post
I did some googling and found this study
http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...tract/61/4/354

It correlates lower IQ's to some psychiatric disorders
I would be severely depressed if I was a retard. Being stupid is bad enough.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-March-2011, 09:23 PM   Dr. Freeman's time 23rd-March-2011, 04:23 PM    #42
Dr. Freeman
In a place outside of time
 
Dr. Freeman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

But you wouldn't be able to comprehend exactly the degree of your disability, and so you might not be as sad as you think.
__________________
We rode upon the winds of the rising storm;
we ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts
and tore the world asunder.
Dr. Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-June-2011, 11:27 PM   scorpiomover's time 4th-June-2011, 11:27 PM    #43
scorpiomover
The little professor
 
scorpiomover's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,436
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

In the UK, it is well-known that the mentally ill have a higher than average IQ, and the extremely mentally ill, like schizophrenics, have a much higher than average IQ.
__________________
"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Spock

Spoiler:
scorpiomover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-June-2011, 02:33 AM   Thales's time 9th-June-2011, 02:33 AM    #44
Thales
Conscious thinking as instinctive function
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 114
windows_vistaie
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

It might be different in other countries, but I thought Schizophrenia was associated with somewhat low IQ, note I mean this in general there are always exceptions. This is especially true with Disorganized Schizophrenia (hebephrenia).
__________________
"I think my life is of great importance, but I also think it is meaningless"--Albert Camus
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-June-2011, 06:59 AM   ummidk's time 9th-June-2011, 01:00 AM    #45
ummidk
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 288
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiomover View Post
In the UK, it is well-known that the mentally ill have a higher than average IQ, and the extremely mentally ill, like schizophrenics, have a much higher than average IQ.
lol what?
ummidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-June-2011, 10:39 AM   Vecho's time 11th-June-2011, 12:39 PM    #46
Vecho
Member
 
Vecho's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 86
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
I would be severely depressed if I was a retard. Being stupid is bad enough.
I don't think you would understand that you are retarded. Is being a retard part of being self unconscious? For all I know retards seem pretty happy but maybe even though they are retarded they are more stimulated by intuition which allows them to be happy. Or they aren't and without any questions being asked by ones self to ones self it's a happy road down the hill. An easy one.
Being stupid has it's perks.
Are we going to be subjective here?
__________________
INTP? Maybe... Or maybe ENTP? Researching...

Vecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-June-2011, 11:19 AM   Sad Lions's time 11th-June-2011, 11:19 AM    #47
Sad Lions
Eater of Cookies
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In bed
Posts: 24
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
'Intelligent'...or 'more conscious'?
This is an interesting association, there are data that shows that the only group of people that does not self-report an inflated belief in their appearance, intelligence and control of environment are people that are depressed. Perhaps an obsessive need to see things in a rational and objective way negatively impacts on needed self-illusions.

Can't remember where I got this from, might be totally bogus. But I remember reading that moderately gifted (130-140 IQ) seemed to adapt quite well to society, while geniuses seemed to experience more problems.
__________________
Spoiler:

Sad Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-June-2011, 06:00 AM   quacker's time 13th-June-2011, 12:00 AM    #48
quacker
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 13
windows_vistafirefox
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

I have heard this theory. I guess I think my introversion is more a cause of my own depression. Being an INTP, a negative view of my own "big picture" is hard to shake.
quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-July-2011, 11:22 AM   humblecheesecake's time 1st-July-2011, 06:22 AM    #49
humblecheesecake
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 17
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

Intelligence = a lot of factors, a lot of misinterpretations.

Depression = a lot of factors, a lot of misinterpretations.
humblecheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-July-2011, 11:32 AM   NinjaSurfer's time 1st-July-2011, 03:32 AM    #50
NinjaSurfer
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
windows_vistasafari
Default Re: Are the intelligent more prone to depression?

since nobody on here seems to be part of the low-IQ-club let me address the other side of the coin--

regarding low IQ people, my roommate's girlfriend's IQ is probably around 70... before I proceed please understand my insensitive tone is purely for discussion purposes-- Low IQ people are easier to fool, easier to brainwash.

She falls for every single advertisement for anything. If you tell her she's supposed to be happy she changes her mind very quickly.

She's the person those infomercials were designed for.

She's naive and she believes everything. If you say everything will be okay-- well, why shouldn't everything be okay?

I wish I were kidding and this post is a big joke but it's not.

Now think about your reasoning ability versus hers.

I know I have about 10,000 thoughts per day while she probably has 5.

Ignorance is bliss, and I think I'd rather be ignorant.
NinjaSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INTP depression prone? Khoeth Introductions Archive 138 20th-September-2013 02:08 PM
Are SJs Prone to Mild PTSD-like Symptoms TriflinThomas MBTI & Typology Archive 4 3rd-November-2012 03:00 AM
INTPs are most prone to being Passive-Aggressive NinjaSurfer MBTI & Typology Archive 18 16th-October-2012 03:12 AM
Are INTPs more prone to be asexual? Nocturna INTP Archive 87 12th-December-2010 12:14 AM
INTP's more prone to Addiction? Toad INTP Archive 26 28th-May-2009 11:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS



no new posts