Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > The Lounge > The Lounge Archive

Old 17th-February-2011, 11:24 AM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 05:24 AM    #1
DoveEyes

unknownopera
Default Why I Hate Facebook

Hello, I'm DoveEyes and I'm new. Nice to meet you.

Ok now on to the subject of Facebook and why I hate it.

#1. I do not care that your cat died, that you ate mexican for dinner, or that you're about to work out. The uninteresting details of your mediocre life keep showing up in my news feed and it's putting me to sleep quicker than a ruphie on a blind date.

#2. Incessant posting of gay photos.
Ok, I get it. Making pouty faces is cute when your 12. But if youre an adult and you post half nude pictures of yourself making the *same* face in every photo then you should probably consider getting a life. And a job.

#3. The affrontery of it all.
This may sound cynical and a bit harsh but it seems like the majority of status' on Facebook are posted for the purpose of "convincing" everyone else how happy they are. It's become almost like a public relations tool people use to manage our opinion of them. Think about it. I donno, maybe I'm looking too much into it but it all just seems kind of vapid and shallow.

#4. Bipolar cat ladies. You know the type. Although slightly entertaining-- seeing people's emotional roller coaster play out on the pages facebook for all to see makes me uncomfortable. And.. concerned.. (Yes, I have a heart.)

#5. It's a total time vampire. How much cool crap could I have done in the time I wasted socially networking (aka stalking you)? I could have been saving the world in that amount of time. Ok, that was a little ambitious but you get the point.

Any way, that pretty much sums up my reasons. I'd say more but I gotta check my facebook. JK

Thoughts???

~DoveEyes
DoveEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:43 AM   5k17's time 17th-February-2011, 12:43 PM    #2
5k17
suspective

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Why I Hate Facebook

Depends on the people you have as friends. I, for one, cannot relate at all to 1-3 (or maybe I just don't care enough to notice those), and hardly to 4. 5 is probably true, but if you have as little to do as me (actually, I have a lot of work, but procrastinating it gives me more time than anyone should have), it doesn't really matter much. Plus, I wouldn't do it if it wasn't interesting; I find certain people more interesting than any other subject.
Oh, and welcome.
With a day that I shall never see
I wonder how life will be
With a light I shall never see
I wonder how life will be
With a pain that lasts eternally"
-Burzum
5k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:45 AM   Bird's time 17th-February-2011, 02:45 PM    #3
Bird
Banned

windows_vistasafari

You do realize that the things
you're complaining about you
have control over, right?
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:51 AM   AlisaD's time 17th-February-2011, 12:51 PM    #4
AlisaD
l'observateur

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
My thoughts exactly.
If you hate it - delete your account. Problem solved.
If you need an account, but don't want to know everything about everyone - stop checking the updates.
If you like knowing everything about everyone then stop bitching about it and enjoy the little pleasures of a voyeuristic life.

http://www.nothingexchange.com/
AlisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:58 AM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 05:58 AM    #5
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Of course. That's why I block/deleted most of the people on my friends list.. and rarely get on the site.
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:08 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 06:08 AM    #6
DoveEyes

unknownopera

I just see it as a waist of time and I don't really see the mass appeal of facebook. So I wanted to give some reasons. Nuthin crazy.
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:16 PM   Jesse's time 17th-February-2011, 10:16 PM    #7
Jesse
Internet resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Hating something you have no obligation to do. Well done, fuck I hate the internet some times.
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:19 PM   ProxyAmenRa's time 17th-February-2011, 10:19 PM    #8
ProxyAmenRa
Egocatric

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Facebook killed my social life. o_O
ProxyAmenRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:38 PM   The Gopher's time 17th-February-2011, 10:38 PM    #9
The Gopher
Since potato's are in fashion I'll be one of those.

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAmenRa View Post
Facebook killed my social life. o_O

You had a social life? What was it like? Btw nice avatar change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaire
“You’re like the illicit lovechild of Red Baron and Melkor, except more fluffy"
cheese: I guess I'm a shallow animal lover.

The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:43 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 06:43 AM    #10
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hating something you have no obligation to do. Well done, fuck I hate the internet some times.
Just cause I'm not obligated to it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it haha. There are a lot of things that I'm not obligated to that I don't like.

The reason I quit using facebook was because I prefer a more simple way to communicate with people. Like in person lol. I don't dislike people who use facebook a lot or who enjoy it because there are some benifits from it and everyone has their own feelings about it.
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:43 PM   final-dimension's time 17th-February-2011, 12:43 PM    #11
final-dimension

windows_vistasafari

Well my INTP friend got rid of his account you could do the same,I will soon enough...
Haha okay lots of interesting events happening here is the funny thing instead of perceiving things as being involved I take the observer position and am excited about how things will develop kinda weird though, but I think it is better that way.Yup right R it has to be .... me :P
‎"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it"_Mark Twain
final-dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 12:45 PM   Polaris's time 17th-February-2011, 10:45 PM    #12
Polaris
Resident Member

windows_vistafirefox

I was going to post something, but got completely distracted by Proxy's new avatar....

Anyway....I'm on the Book right now, wasting time, feeling like a loser. It feels good complaining about it, though. At least it doesn't take it personally.

And it does keep me in touch with the other side of the planet.
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:08 PM   Agapooka's time 17th-February-2011, 08:08 AM    #13
Agapooka
Celui qui pose trop de questions.

linuxubuntufirefox

I only use Facebook to stalk people.

I keep the number of "friends" there down to a minimal. hence the news feeds are quite minimal as well. I've figured out how to make certain people not appear in the feed.

Furthermore, I've learned to enjoy reading about people's suffering. Oh and when I have something witty to say, that nobody will understand, I don't mind publishing it and knowing that others will be confronted with the reality that they cannot understand it.

As for point number 5, it has never applied to me. Wikipedia is where I spend most of my time. Instead of doing homework, I learn stuff. It's an ironic compromise.

Agapooka
Agapooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:16 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 07:16 AM    #14
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapooka View Post
I only use Facebook to stalk people.

I keep the number of "friends" there down to a minimal. hence the news feeds are quite minimal as well. I've figured out how to make certain people not appear in the feed.

Furthermore, I've learned to enjoy reading about people's suffering. Oh and when I have something witty to say, that nobody will understand, I don't mind publishing it and knowing that others will be confronted with the reality that they cannot understand it.

As for point number 5, it has never applied to me. Wikipedia is where I spend most of my time. Instead of doing homework, I learn stuff. It's an ironic compromise.

Agapooka
Haha =) Maybe I would have become less annoyed with fb if could hide people from my news feed but since I used to only get on there with my blackberry I didn't have that option lol.
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:19 PM   Architect's time 17th-February-2011, 05:19 AM    #15
Architect
Professional INTP

macossafari

Agreed, that's why I gave my account to my wife. I tried posting some interesting things but nobody cared, all they wanted to hear was that I was doing my laundry.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:20 PM   DarkGreen's time 17th-February-2011, 08:20 AM    #16
DarkGreen
Mmm Tasty

windows_xp_2003ie

Yeah, Proxy Amenra's new avatar is distracting to my female eyes. Anyway, I don't have a facebook it's that easy. Why don't you send letters? Everyone I know loves an 'old-fashioned' letter.

A single joy may scatter a thousand sorrows.

This is the way things were meant to be.
DarkGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:30 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 07:30 AM    #17
DoveEyes

unknownopera

*gives high five to your wife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Agreed, that's why I gave my account to my wife. I tried posting some interesting things but nobody cared, all they wanted to hear was that I was doing my laundry.
Old 17th-February-2011, 01:57 PM   kinetickyle's time 17th-February-2011, 07:57 AM    #18
kinetickyle
Thinking man's idiot

windows_xp_2003firefox

I agree that Facebook is pretty annoying. The only reason I don't delete my account is that there are some people that I'd like to stay in touch with and Facebook is the easiest way of doing that. I think my wife said it best when she said, "Twitter makes me like people I've never met while Facebook makes me hate people I've known my entire life."
kinetickyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 03:04 PM   Causeless's time 17th-February-2011, 10:04 AM    #19
Causeless

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hear hear!

Even as a man who believes there is no true good or evil, FACEBOOK IS EVIL. Although it did recently start a revolution, and I do like revolution...

Either way, I like the anonymity of the internet, why the hell would I ever want a Facebook page?
Causeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 03:06 PM   Melllvar's time 17th-February-2011, 09:06 AM    #20
Melllvar
Banned

The main reason I use facebook is cause I like the random news updates I get from a few pages, and while I could check all the news websites individually, it's kind of nice how they all get aggregated in FB based on what I like. Unfortunately I have to scroll through lots of pointless bullshit like the guy I made the mistake of friending and now he posts four dozen updates a day of himself smiling into his camera phone. Like anyone on Earth really wants to indulge his narcissism. He won't be lasting much longer.

That's the real problem: facebook's material is user-generated, so it's only worthwhile if you know people that post interesting stuff. Unfortunately most people would rather post pointless bullshit than anything halfway interesting. I think I may just delete all but one or two of the people on my friend's list and use it as a news feed. The one or two I'll keep are the ones who actually have worthwhile updates/links/articles to post occasionally.
Melllvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 03:19 PM   Minuend's time 17th-February-2011, 04:19 PM    #21
Minuend
will eat your face

windows_xp_2003firefox

I find facebook useful for stalking people.

Ulquiorra is one of my favorite characters <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
And it does keep me in touch with the other side of the planet.
Now I have TWO friends on facebook
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 03:39 PM   kantor1003's time 17th-February-2011, 03:39 PM    #22
kantor1003
Resident Member

macossafari

If I'm not mistaken facebook was designed for stalkers from the very outset. Or rather, for college minds in general. One finally had a way of knowing who was together with who and wether someone was single or not without actually asking them. Simple, but a brilliant idea. He is a billionaire now. It speaks for itself.
I used to enjoy facebook somewhat, not so much from the reasons I mentioned above, rather, it was means for me to keep in touch with many of my friends/acquaintances that are geographically scattered all around. I don't use it too much anymore though. I just pop in once a week or so. I definitely don't hate it. Why should I? Because people post silly updates? If anything one should blame the people that post those updates, not facebook itself, it's just a platform where people are free to post whats on their minds. Too bad it's mostly shit. Perhaps better then they having to blurp that shit all around in daily conversation

Ludwig van Beethoven to a violinist who complained that a passage was unplayable
kantor1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 03:47 PM   EyeSeeCold's time 17th-February-2011, 07:47 AM    #23
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Let's go back to Xanga.

EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 07:04 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 01:04 PM    #24
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
Let's go back to Xanga.
Haha let's go back to writting on walls in CAVES.
Old 17th-February-2011, 07:31 PM   GYX_Kid's time 17th-February-2011, 07:31 PM    #25
GYX_Kid
randomly floating abyss built of bricks

macosfirefox

you can use it, just don't let it use you.
Old 17th-February-2011, 08:33 PM   Andropov's time 17th-February-2011, 08:33 PM    #26
Andropov
Banned

windows_vistaopera

bad sense of humor
Andropov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-February-2011, 08:51 PM   Bird's time 17th-February-2011, 11:51 PM    #27
Bird
Banned

windows_vistasafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andropov View Post
bad sense of humor

Lol.
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:17 PM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 05:17 PM    #28
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
bad sense of humor
Uhm. Didn't know something was supposed to be funny?
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:30 PM   Stoic Beverage's time 17th-February-2011, 05:30 PM    #29
Stoic Beverage
has a wide pancake of knowledge

I don't like walking on my hands from here to Brazil and back.

1.) It takes forever.

2.) I constantly have to stop and rest.

3.) It cuts up my hands.
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:31 PM   GYX_Kid's time 17th-February-2011, 11:31 PM    #30
GYX_Kid
randomly floating abyss built of bricks

macosfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveEyes View Post
yeah, you... might end up getting banned. not that i or anyone necessarily has anything against you, but people here... let's see what happens
Old 17th-February-2011, 11:32 PM   Bird's time 18th-February-2011, 02:32 AM    #31
Bird
Banned

windows_vistasafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYX_Kid View Post
yeah, you... might end up getting banned. not that i or anyone necessarily has anything against you, but people here... let's see what happens

What are you talking about?

Anyway, what was supposed to be
funny - your caves comment.
Old 18th-February-2011, 01:52 AM   DoveEyes's time 17th-February-2011, 07:52 PM    #32
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYX_Kid View Post
....wut?
Old 18th-February-2011, 02:07 AM   Stigmata's time 17th-February-2011, 08:07 PM    #33
Stigmata

Quote:

#1. I do not care that your cat died, that you ate mexican for dinner, or that you're about to work out. The uninteresting details of your mediocre life keep showing up in my news feed and it's putting me to sleep quicker than a ruphie on a blind date.

Ok, I get it. Making pouty faces is cute when your 12. But if youre an adult and you post half nude pictures of yourself making the *same* face in every photo then you should probably consider getting a life. And a job.

This may sound cynical and a bit harsh but it seems like the majority of status' on Facebook are posted for the purpose of "convincing" everyone else how happy they are. It's become almost like a public relations tool people use to manage our opinion of them. Think about it. I donno, maybe I'm looking too much into it but it all just seems kind of vapid and shallow.

#4. Bipolar cat ladies. You know the type. Although slightly entertaining-- seeing people's emotional roller coaster play out on the pages facebook for all to see makes me uncomfortable. And.. concerned.. (Yes, I have a heart.)

#5. It's a total time vampire. How much cool crap could I have done in the time I wasted socially networking (aka stalking you)? I could have been saving the world in that amount of time. Ok, that was a little ambitious but you get the point.

Any way, that pretty much sums up my reasons. I'd say more but I gotta check my facebook. JK

Thoughts???

~DoveEyes
1. That's the nature of those types of interactions based around constant updates.

2. Subjective. Can't really comment, but I definitely understand the sentiment.

3. Partly true. I think it's because people design these social networking pages to be somewhat a reflection of themselves, or at least who they'd like us to think they are. Naturally, they aren't likely going to accentuate what they perceive their faults.

4. Feelers coupled with the false sense of community of Facebook and website that's centralized around constant updates can produce that.

5. Facebook in and of itself doesn't take up any time, it's the time individuals decide to dedicate to it that's the time sink.
Old 18th-February-2011, 10:48 AM   EyeSeeCold's time 18th-February-2011, 02:48 AM    #34
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:

Thoughts???

~DoveEyes
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

You ditched Facebook for INTPf? I have a hard time believing this.

EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-February-2011, 05:49 PM   Andropov's time 18th-February-2011, 05:49 PM    #35
Andropov
Banned

windows_vistaopera

Quote:
maybe your embarassing and cringe-worthy OP, full of uninspired, uncreative, and derivative attempts at humor?
Andropov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 05:37 AM   DoveEyes's time 18th-February-2011, 11:37 PM    #36
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

You ditched Facebook for INTPf? I have a hard time believing this.
Naw.. I ditched facebook cuz I don't like it.
Old 19th-February-2011, 05:41 AM   DoveEyes's time 18th-February-2011, 11:41 PM    #37
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
maybe your embarassing and cringe-worthy OP, full of uninspired, uncreative, and derivative attempts at humor?
ok

thank you
Old 19th-February-2011, 06:40 AM   Saeros's time 19th-February-2011, 04:40 PM    #38
Saeros
Destroyer of Worlds

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:

Thoughts???

~DoveEyes
I'd like to make a few points. Firstly, people tend to like the idea that there is someone who cares enough about them to check their status updates. Secondly, the majority of people aren't even capable of doing something as meaningful as saving the world. Are you? Finally, is it not also a waste of time to post a list of things that you don't like about facebook??
"Science says 'we must live', and seeks the means of prolonging, increasing, facilitating and amplifying life, of making it tolerable and acceptable, wisdom says 'we must die', and seeks how to make us die well"

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, but what we do for others dies with them." - Saeros
Saeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 07:05 AM   Artsu Tharaz's time 19th-February-2011, 05:05 PM    #39
Artsu Tharaz
easily entertained

I don't like the lack of privacy.

Mine, anyway. Seeing what other people say is interesting.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 08:38 AM   SpaceYeti's time 19th-February-2011, 01:38 AM    #40
SpaceYeti
Resident Member

Quote:
Your avatar is no longer of your ribby self. This is new.
http://spaceyeti.wordpress.com/
SpaceYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 08:59 AM   DoveEyes's time 19th-February-2011, 02:59 AM    #41
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Saeros:
Naw.. not a waste of time. It took a few minutes to write that lol

Oh and about the save the world thing, I was being sarcastic (..obviously..)

Last edited by DoveEyes; 19th-February-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to include RE:
Old 19th-February-2011, 09:09 AM   RubberDucky451's time 19th-February-2011, 09:09 AM    #42
RubberDucky451

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I've found that facebook is an excellent place to talk to like minded people. Just because the stereotypical facebook user in an airhead doesn't mean we all are.

It's an Epicurus fanpage on faceook, your argument is unvalid.

With that said--all Forum-mates are welcome to add me.

A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.
RubberDucky451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 09:40 AM   DoveEyes's time 19th-February-2011, 03:40 AM    #43
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Everyone, click the link below and join in on the facebook fun! Yay! It'll be great! <('.'<).......
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDucky451 View Post
I've found that facebook is an excellent place to talk to like minded people. Just because the stereotypical facebook user in an airhead doesn't mean we all are.

It's an Epicurus fanpage on faceook, your argument is unvalid.

With that said--all Forum-mates are welcome to add me.
Old 19th-February-2011, 10:12 AM   ProxyAmenRa's time 19th-February-2011, 08:13 PM    #44
ProxyAmenRa
Egocatric

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Face Book is merely a tool. A tool that seemingly allowed the interrelations between individuals of certain types to apply their social rituals to the digital format. Don't hate the tool, hate the people.
Old 19th-February-2011, 11:05 AM   DoveEyes's time 19th-February-2011, 05:06 AM    #45
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
Face Book is merely a tool. A tool that seemingly allowed the interrelations between individuals of certain types to apply their social rituals to the digital format. Don't hate the tool, hate the people.
Or I can hate it and you can just accept that.
Old 19th-February-2011, 11:39 AM   ProxyAmenRa's time 19th-February-2011, 09:39 PM    #46
ProxyAmenRa
Egocatric

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Or I can hate it and you can just accept that.
I guess I'm fine with that. I mean like, damn, umm, I was only contributing. It is not as if I am in a position to tell you what to do.
Old 19th-February-2011, 11:42 AM   DoveEyes's time 19th-February-2011, 05:42 AM    #47
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Quote:
I guess I'm fine with that. I mean like, damn, umm, I was only contributing. It is not as if I am in a position to tell you what to do.
Ha ha I know your not. No worries dear.
Old 19th-February-2011, 12:27 PM   ElvenVeil's time 19th-February-2011, 01:27 PM    #48
ElvenVeil

ah yes, welcome to the forum :bow: (why don't we have a 'bow' smiley?)

Personally I think facebook is actually quiet useful; how else could I ever remember people's birthdays: p
, anyway the main objective was to greet you welcome : )

a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere heart of stone
ElvenVeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-February-2011, 12:45 PM   DoveEyes's time 19th-February-2011, 06:45 AM    #49
DoveEyes

unknownopera

Lol yea it does help with birthdays I give you that

So you are Danish? I have some friends from Denmark
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenVeil View Post
ah yes, welcome to the forum :bow: (why don't we have a 'bow' smiley?)

Personally I think facebook is actually quiet useful; how else could I ever remember people's birthdays: p
, anyway the main object was to greet you welcome : )
Old 19th-February-2011, 02:12 PM   Bird's time 19th-February-2011, 05:12 PM    #50
Bird
Banned

windows_vistasafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceYeti View Post
Your avatar is no longer of your ribby self. This is new.

I figured everyone was tired
of seeing my ribs.