• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

29/12/2016 Forum Drama Resolution

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
Hi guys

Part of the most recent drama was the outcry that we don't talk about science anymore. Why limit it to talk? Let's do some science.

I have enacted the following change:
- Sinny banned for one month, potentially permanently.

If the following conditions are met, the change will be permanent.
- TSR must post during this time in both quantity and quality (three good posts a day).
- The forum must have less shitposting.
- The forum must have more posts of value.
- The forum must be a friendlier place, with less aggression and ad homs.
- TSR and RB (once he's off his two week ban) are on best behaviour. They are on parole, facing bans, but also facing Sinny coming back.

There may be more changes, pending the thoughts of other moderators.

So lets see what happens.

Also, I'd like to welcome our newest moderator: Auburn!! <3<3<3
I look forward to seeing his relentless enthusiasm beaten out of him by the harsh realities of forum modship bring about a new golden age of forum peace.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
Re: 29/12/2017 Forum Drama Resolution

Auburn is a good choice. As for science, I need help with my Java Button

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 4:06 PM
-->

Nice I wish Auburn good luck.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:06 PM
-->

Wow Auburn's going to be busy managing two forums :D

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->

As far as that goes: It looks more like he's throwing down the gauntlet and saying, "Prove to the staff that the forum problems can be laid at Sinny's feet, and we'll go with it; but otherwise, she'll be back."

You know. Like, scienz, biatches.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->

Just on a technical note I remembered TSR may not be around for a few days.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->

I doubt he's serious about those conditions.

I'm deadly serious.

TSR has no business dictating terms in a forum he's not contributing to. He's willing to get banned in order to see Sinny gone, why would he not be willing to actually do something prosocial for the forum towards the same goal?

I'm sick of all this flame-baiting martyr bullshit.

Show me that Sinny is the problem and she'll be removed.

Local time
Today 5:06 AM
-->

so whether sinny gets permanently banned (which i assume she doesn't want) will be dependent on actions which are completely out of her control. the threat of her return is to be used as leverage to force behaviour modification with specific (somewhat demanding) conditions in tsr's case because they were the first to succumb to the frustration sinny's behaviour was causing

and so if we all fail to meet the conditions (and prove sinny was our only problem?) sinny doesn't deserve to be permanently banned?

it's unclean

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:06 PM
-->

I was kinda hoping to get the hazing adaptation process done quietly in a corner of the arena, either Sinny would leave of her own accord, act out and get perma-banned, or post constructively and be suitably well mannered to let the whole debacle fade into obscurity.

On the other hand I realize sweeping a problem into a corner and hoping it sorts itself out isn't the best plan and banning (though less than ideal) is a tried and true method of conflict moderation.

Hado your experiment needs a control group.
I volunteer myself to continue shit-posting as usual :D

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->

Show me that Sinny is the problem and she'll be removed.

TSR has essentially summed up the problem which is that the moderators are basically absentee and barely use the forum anymore, and so have no capacity to understand just how much of an IQ-drain Sinny's presence on the forum is.

They check the forum when there's a 'problem' and see multiple people all being 'uncivilized' and just chalk it up to one big fight and don't see the underlying issue. They then ban the person who was the 'most uncivilized' and then assume that the problem is fixed.

That's been the moderating MO for the last whoever knows how long, probably sparked by the excruciatingly long, drawn-out process that was banning BAP a few years ago.

Then they retreat back to their normal lives and only return when there's another 'problem'.

Huh, really makes you think.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Yesterday 10:06 PM
-->

I look forward to seeing his relentless enthusiasm beaten out of him by the harsh realities of forum modship bring about a new golden age of forum peace.

Hehe, too late!
I've gone through the disenchantment phase already.

What modship looks like to others:
[bimgx=450]http://imgur.com/leIJXuw.jpg[/bimgx]
What it's actually like:
[bimgx=450]http://imgur.com/Mosad4P.jpg[/bimgx]
*puts on apron*
"now now, try to keep the floor clean for a few days, we just swept"

(i'll do my best to help out. ty for having me guys!)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->

(i'll do my best to help out. ty for having me guys!)

have fun storming the castle!

... we won't forget your noble sacrifice.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Have fun Auburn. Let's hope your natural optimism keeps you motivated.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->

Well I know I myself have always been a good example of a sciency thingy type poster..

P.S. Where is Ownage when you need him?

P.P.S. Where have all the INFJs gone? they seem to not want to stick around.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->

P.P.S. Where have all the INFJs gone? they seem to not want to stick around.

Well, there's me. ~~INFJ represent~~

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->

One present. Sorry, my math skills need work.

There is more than one.

You are surrounded and yet to realise. :phear:

edit: btw I like how this forum drama occured a year from now :P

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I'd like to believe that my contribution was significant and well thought out..

It was a minimalist protest to the absurdity of the concept laid before our feet by OP. Since PNB had articulated the inherent flaws in the modly reasoning, I was left with no other recourse outside that of interpretive dance.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'd like to believe that my contribution was significant and well thought out..

It was a minimalist protest to the absurdity of the concept laid before our feet by the OP. Since PNB well articulated the inherent flaws in the modly reasoning, I was left with no other recourse outside that of interpretive dance.

I for one would like to see the interpretive dance pls. :cat:

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
<devils_advocate>

Okay, I'll bite. OP:

How do you plan to determine that these criteria have been met?
How are you going to quantify the number of quality and shit posts relative to before, especially given that you admit to not being active over the last few months?
Are you going to follow TSR and tally his daily post count? If he fails for one day, does that mean the conditions are automatically failed and we can assume sinny will be back?

Scientific experiments require clear parameters. :p

Also, how does this prove that sinny is the source of problems, given that you're biasing the outcome with a thread like this. Wouldn't it have been fairer to temp-ban her for a few months, observe the difference of affairs naturally, then decide to perma-ban if conditions were better here?

Are you in a position to dictate terms to us when it's in question to what extent this problem is due to your own self-professed negligence? ;)

*continues to observe with amusement*

</devils_advocate>

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
From a perspective of a lonely mod who just made Auburn a mod on a whim I think there's no need to discuss whatever expectations / proposals OP is making.

I think it was a good decision to make Auburn a mod without discussing it with others, which I assume he didn't at moment's notice. Their absence is agreement enough.

Hado doesn't have enough time so he wants to divide the workload and let others decide how to run this place so really I don't take his proposal seriously and it's up to whatever mod who's going to be active to do the least expected amount of maintenance should anything call for resolution again.

Really, any kind of permanent or understandable solution was good enough in the current drama.

There's no point nitpicking and writing wishlists as to what should ideally be done, because the more pressing problem is finding mods who are willing to actively mod this forum at all and then hopefully have them adhere to basic standards of general decency.

Really, if PNB, Puffy, whoever or even RB keep complaining Hado should mod them and if they don't work on behalf of their words then they have no right to criticise and should let Hado live a human life.

Hado, feel free to not care. Don't feel bound by any expectation.
Same applies to any admin/mod.

You guys should be grateful they're sacrificing any second of their lives on that and to top that off approach their decisions seriously.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
There's something absurdly ridiculous about a starving beggar who'd choose dying to write a functional criticism essay instead of finding a way to get food.

Sweet, you had 5 minutes to write all that? You could ban 10 spammers or moderate 2 people in that time.

Hado/other mods should consider employing all those freeloaders who don't immediately come off as too odd.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I've put just as much time of my life into this place as you have, so don't condescend me please?

I know hado knew I was being tongue in cheek based on an earlier pm and am sure hasn't taken any offence. If you read my posts in the main thread you'd know I agree: less time complaining and scapegoating, more time being proactive as a community about discussing how to improve what we don't like going forwards.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
To be clear, I'm not currently looking to expand the active mod team past Auburn. If it turns out to be a strain we'll talk about bringing more on board, but I'm returning to active duty and Auburn has a strong energy about him.

There really is no shortage of capable candidates, though I appreciate the thought behind the nominations.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:06 PM
-->

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've put just as much time of my life into this place as you have, so don't condescend me please?
I know you were being tongue in cheek.

I wrote this to everyone so that they understand the context of Hado's actions and the problem as a whole. Since there's always lots of complaints about modship, people who do indulge in this sort of fuss should realise that what they're essentially asking for is enslaving another user just like them to the role of collecting their feces so that they might defecate further in relative comfort.

I wasn't berating you nor did I intend to and I know you are a former mod and you did earn your stay here.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:06 PM
-->
Hi guys

Part of the most recent drama was the outcry that we don't talk about science anymore. Why limit it to talk? Let's do some science.

I have enacted the following change:
- Sinny banned for one month, potentially permanently.

If the following conditions are met, the change will be permanent.
- TSR must post during this time in both quantity and quality (three good posts a day).
- The forum must have less shitposting.
- The forum must have more posts of value.
- The forum must be a friendlier place, with less aggression and ad homs.
- TSR and RB (once he's off his two week ban) are on best behaviour. They are on parole, facing bans, but also facing Sinny coming back.

There may be more changes, pending the thoughts of other moderators.

So lets see what happens.

Also, I'd like to welcome our newest moderator: Auburn!! <3<3<3

:walkout:

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Artsu for mod. He sees, he knows.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->