• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are INTPians Cyberbullies?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 12:04 AM
-->
Hmmm(?)

I came across the term 'ebully' in a post and it led me to investigate this phenomena,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbullying

So what is the difference between the utter 'rudeness' exhibited by some members of the forum and being a bully?

What motivates rude comments in any event?

I am known for my bluntness and intransigency, but I rarely am rude (deliberately), so I wonder how rudeness works as a form of self service/worship?

Are INTPians more prone than other types to resort to ebullying? I notice that the Intro threads often contain quite hostile comments, as opposed to welcomes...

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 10:04 PM
-->
I'd say -ians of any flavor are more prone to bullying. From what I've seen, it's like the prime directive of being in the in-crowd.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:34 PM
-->
Rudeness is in the interpretation, where as bullying is in the intent.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 1:04 AM
-->
Rudeness is in the interpretation, where as bullying is in the intent.

This ^

Any rudeness in intro threads can serve to demonstrate to the new members the gamut of what they can expect here. That might actually be a kind fair warning :)

RYZHKND

MOTION IN STASIS.
Local time
-->
"CYBERBULLYING" IS A "TERM" USED BY "CULTURAL MARXISTS", AND HYPERSENSITIVE PERSONS IN "GENERAL", TO CLASSIFY BEHAVIOR, OR INFORMATION THAT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS, OR CRITIQUES THEIR "VALUES".

OBVIOUSLY, THE "TERM" "CYBERBULLYING" IN SUCH CASES, IS A MISNOMER.

:yin-yang:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
This ^

Any rudeness in intro threads can serve to demonstrate to the new members the gamut of what they can expect here. That might actually be a kind fair warning :)

Some people refer to it as a form of "screening" -- if you can't handle the interaction, then this forum is not a place for you. All forums do this to some degree.

Also, this forum is not a forum I'd claim to be a bunch of "cyberbullies" when I think of bullies -- and certainly no more than any other forum I've been on. In fact, this site is more flexible; even banned members don't seem to be permabanned, they always eventually come back compared to other forums. Groups all have identities, so people are going to get pushback when they present ideas that run counter to the group identity. Good groups either have a flexible but cohesive enough identity to allow enough inflow of different ideas from the norm, incorporating the best as part of an ever-developing identity; bad groups are more brittle or abusive.

I don't consider ITP forums "bullies" per se, there is just a lack of agreed-upon social convention in general, and people typically are more worried about content than delivery. So you're not gonna get a consistent presentation of ideas, it's going to be based on individual preference -- running the gamut of careful/considerate to blunt/challenging. If one prefers not to have to "armor up" a bit, one needs to find a more suitable home.

All that being said, group dynamics don't really change much in the transition from real life to online... except that online, there is even less accountability for one's actions, publicly, since everyone is basically anonymous.

HDINTP

Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
D
"CYBERBULLYING" IS A "TERM" USED BY "CULTURAL MARXISTS", AND HYPERSENSITIVE PERSONS IN "GENERAL", TO CLASSIFY BEHAVIOR, OR INFORMATION THAT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS, OR CRITIQUES THEIR "VALUES".

OBVIOUSLY, THE "TERM" "CYBERBULLYING" IN SUCH CASES, IS A MISNOMER.

:yin-yang:

Does that mean I have met too many hypersensitive people then:D?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I'll try not to think to hard about this impactful issue.
So what is the difference between the utter 'rudeness' exhibited by some members of the forum and being a bully?
Rudeness comes from within without thought of much impact. Its may state its intent, but is not refined. A bully wants their own way and pushes hard.

What motivates rude comments in any event?
Anger? Lack of articulation or rather easy articulation.

I am known for my bluntness and intransigency, but I rarely am rude (deliberately), so I wonder how rudeness works as a form of self service/worship?
For shame Da Blob, lol. It may be the easier mode of expression where in the moment or even later one doesn't care about the consequences.

Are INTPians more prone than other types to resort to ebullying? I notice that the Intro threads often contain quite hostile comments, as opposed to welcomes...
I actually never noticed that. Maybe I take what is called "bullying" as a legitimate gripe asking for a legitimate response. But that's me. Shame on me for not noticing.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
"...to harm other people, in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner..."

the key words being deliberate, repeated and hostile...

I don't think any discussions in here qualify for that.

wadlez

Local time
Today 3:34 PM
-->
I love to "cyber bully" people. I do this in many ways, but the most severe is trolling peoples personal blogs etc by pretending to be someone who disagrees with everything they say and hates the person severely. Due to how successful I have been in some instances, I have had people try desperately to silence me and even had the authorities called (they could do nothing as I technically didn't break any laws).
Despite my attitude, I wouldn't be considered a typical cyber bully you hear about on news etc as I haven't hacked into anyones account before or anything like that. I leave the bullying to the scope of the communication medium I encountered the target on and just like to get a big reaction at their expense.

I would be interested to know if this is an INTP thing, with the urge for doing this driven from the repressed EF function. This forum would not be able to provide much insight into this though as many prominent members on here are INTJ's or some other MBTI personalities who think your personality type changes :(

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
I love to "cyber bully" people...etc.

I would be interested to know if this is an INTP thing...

I'd say it's more of a sadistic asshole thing...

This forum would not be able to provide much insight into this though as many prominent members on here are INTJ's or some other MBTI personalities who think your personality type changes :(

I'll assume that was a restrained example of your modus operandi. So then, a self-admitted troll of your ilk would be expecting those 'prominent members' to dive headfirst into this thread defending their INTP-ness. Is that how it works?

Seems extremely counter-productive at least, rather wantonly destructive at best. Based on my experiences in this and other INTP-oriented forums, I'm having difficulty making the MBTI connection you've implied...

So perhaps you've mistyped yourself? Oh wait, that's not an option! You're a troll, and as such you're inseparable from your insanely presumptive dogmas.

But oh how the Big 'O' fucks with you, right!? Even the best trolls are unable to successfully circumnavigate objectivity.

It is said that objectivity is a cornerstone of the Great INTPiquity. Perhaps you should consider altering your MBTI type of choice.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:34 PM
-->
I love to "cyber bully" people. I do this in many ways, but the most severe is trolling peoples personal blogs etc by pretending to be someone who disagrees with everything they say and hates the person severely. Due to how successful I have been in some instances, I have had people try desperately to silence me and even had the authorities called (they could do nothing as I technically didn't break any laws).
Despite my attitude, I wouldn't be considered a typical cyber bully you hear about on news etc as I haven't hacked into anyones account before or anything like that. I leave the bullying to the scope of the communication medium I encountered the target on and just like to get a big reaction at their expense.

I would be interested to know if this is an INTP thing, with the urge for doing this driven from the repressed EF function. This forum would not be able to provide much insight into this though as many prominent members on here are INTJ's or some other MBTI personalities who think your personality type changes :(

I'm fairly open to aggressive or alternative communication/interaction styles, but this just seems shitty. You only want an angry response? Why?

Affinity

Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
I've been on a few forums that is comprised of a group of elitists that tends to troll and shoot down any opinion that differs from the groups ideals. A few car forums in particular where it seems like if you post the wrong thing they will all attack you. However, I've never perceived an elitist vibe on this forum nor anything I would consider bullying. Rudeness, smartass-ness, trolling sure, but I wouldn't consider that hostile in any way.

Brahma

Maker
Local time
Today 10:34 AM
-->

I'm part of a gaming forum where we used to welcome all new members by calling them insane, and adding that fluffy turtles would soon be eating what's left of their brains. It's part of an inside joke, but the noobies don't get it (obviously) and feel insulted.

We must've gotten a bad reputation, as all we get now is a couple of new members a month. :slashnew:

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
It's a psychosocial question that I don't think is answerable by typology alone, at least not by MBTI.

What are the motivations, goals? Do they act out of developed subconscious tendencies or an uncontrollable mental-behavioral disposition?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I've been on a few forums that is comprised of a group of elitists that tends to troll and shoot down any opinion that differs from the groups ideals. A few car forums in particular where it seems like if you post the wrong thing they will all attack you. However, I've never perceived an elitist vibe on this forum nor anything I would consider bullying. Rudeness, smartass-ness, trolling sure, but I wouldn't consider that hostile in any way.

I'd go further and say that even people who post things that seem way out of the norm are still consistently engaged by membership, even if almost all the posters disagree with that poster's POV. Usually such members end up shunned on other forums I've been on. So I have seen a willingness to engage even unpalatable ideas here, even when the conversation seems fruitless.

wadlez

Local time
Today 3:34 PM
-->
I'll assume that was a restrained example of your modus operandi. So then, a self-admitted troll of your ilk would be expecting those 'prominent members' to dive headfirst into this thread defending their INTP-ness. Is that how it works?

Well if you had seen me on this forum before you would know that I am not breaking character to pretend to be someone else (so I could be trolling with the response), its just the truth. Sorry I shared that with you, I should of just lied and pretended I don't do it to keep you happy (you seemed pretty riled up). Also from being on here a long time I have observed many people admitting initially testing as INTJ's. There are also members who believe they can/have changed their type and that has been heavily discussed. All I was doing was pointing out that due to the heterogeneity of this forum (which its title would suggest otherwise) it would be very difficult to hone in on the INTP factors on e-bullying.

Seems extremely counter-productive at least, rather wantonly destructive at best. Based on my experiences in this and other INTP-oriented forums, I'm having difficulty making the MBTI connection you've implied...

Did you read the thread intro, it asks about a link between MBTI and this:

Not too observant are you, or did you just skip most other responses so you could blurt out your poorly thought out shit

So perhaps you've mistyped yourself? Oh wait, that's not an option! You're a troll, and as such you're inseparable from your insanely presumptive dogmas.

Lol, you have made the only presumptive statement so far. This is embarrassing...

But oh how the Big 'O' fucks with you, right!? Even the best trolls are unable to successfully circumnavigate objectivity.
It is said that objectivity is a cornerstone of the Great INTPiquity. Perhaps you should consider altering your MBTI type of choice.

Are you retarded. INTP's cornerstone is the opposite of objective. The I means we draw our energy from the subjective instead of the objective, with the P in introverted types pointing out the our primary function is judging, so IT (Introverted Thinking). Our major problem is that our line of thinking yields no objective fruit and this doesn't bother us.

Read your MBTI type description maybe... or anything for that matter, you give the impression you are pretty stupid and roused to anger easily

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Seems to me the general answer would have to be "yes" for INTP's if the situation were logical thinking and order ... or whatever it is INTP's excel at. But on this Forum an INTP would be disinclined to bully another INTP because they know they are among their peers and bullying would be hard pressed to succeed. It's among other types I'm suggesting ... though an INTP would have to overcome those other types fighting back. INTP's would have to be very sure of themselves.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Seems to me the general answer would have to be "yes" for INTP's if the situation were logical thinking and order ... or whatever it is INTP's excel at. But on this Forum an INTP would be disinclined to bully another INTP because they know they are among their peers and bullying would be hard pressed to succeed. It's among other types I'm suggesting ... though an INTP would have to overcome those other types fighting back. INTP's would have to be very sure of themselves.

Personally, I just don't like hurting people.

-Duxwing

Roark

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I believe that INTPs are more trollish than actual bullies on the internet.

Messing with someone for a reaction is much different than blatantly messing with their life.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Personally, I just don't like hurting people.
-Duxwing
Neither do I. I hate it, but what if you believe in something, especially if you believe someone is either hurting themselves or going astray? Trying out one's self-interested positions on them might hurt. In cyberspace one could just leave them alone.

Think of tough-love on wayward adolescents. Why do I think of that like bullying?

Clav

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:04 AM
-->
If you get all butt hurt online because some mean person you don't know, can't see, and shouldn't care about offended you my tip is:

GET THE FUCK OUT YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

now that the troll has been fed, yes, I think many INTPs probably are what most ignorant people deem "cyberbully" "rude" "troll" etc. In my experience the people who get demolished on forums tend to be ignorant to the topics being discussed and bring abuse upon themselves. What I for the life of me cannot understand is why, when they get offended, do they return and respond thus renewing the cycle?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
INTP's are the Über trolls of society

INTP

This is our role and our sacred destiny. Consider Einstein, people thought they had the physical world wrapped up and zip! Here he is telling them that time is not a constant, nor is distance. What a jerk!

Another example is Larry David, the INTP comedian. Look at his comedy, all it does is put up a mirror to show us how pathetic we are.

My INTP son loves to troll on the internet, it seems to be built into us, which is probably why we evolved. We are the counterbalance to SJ society.

Bullying is the low life S equivalent; we rarely or never engage in that.

spinner

Local time
-->
I'm a bit of a troll. I tell myself that im "livening up" boring boards.

In all fairness, the boards are boring, and the topics mundane and predictable.

And I hubristically think that my comments are insightful and get to the heart of whats missing on the board........and they almost always get a high response, often times of hostility, although one or two posts saying that im thinking outside the box.

The real problem is that when someone reacts with what i consider stupid logic, I tend to rub it in their faces and of course get an emotional pissed of repsonse. Sometimes I'll goad them further, so Im trolling.

But I dont cross into bullying. Its not in my nature. I should have been a pioneer. I like to stir a pot. There must be a good deal of passive aggressiveness going down.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm a bit of a troll. I tell myself that im "livening up" boring boards.

In all fairness, the boards are boring, and the topics mundane and predictable.

And I hubristically think that my comments are insightful and get to the heart of whats missing on the board........and they almost always get a high response, often times of hostility, although one or two posts saying that im thinking outside the box.

The real problem is that when someone reacts with what i consider stupid logic, I tend to rub it in their faces and of course get an emotional pissed of repsonse. Sometimes I'll goad them further, so Im trolling.

But I dont cross into bullying. Its not in my nature. I should have been a pioneer. I like to stir a pot. There must be a good deal of passive aggressiveness going down.

I like words that are themselves ironically what they despise - like highfalutin.

Highfalutin itself is highfalutin. There's no getting around it. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

Top Bottom