• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are you here for the same reason like me?

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 5:01 AM
-->
I wondered, why I'm still using this forum, it will be 5 years soon.
Just today realized that sometimes I want to talk, just want to contact with people and while usually I have someone to talk to, sometimes I don't. That's why.
Also, with some people I can't talk about anything, with virtual people I can everything.

How's with you?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like thinking about things, I like writing, and I like having discussions about a wide range of topics. And I do think there's a lot of interesting topics that get brought up here.

But mostly, of course, I'm here for the ladies (aka laydieeees – said in the style of Bill Burr)

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:01 PM
-->
I can't say anything about my real problems.
But I can talk about stuff that in real life I have no opportunity to.
I upset some people though recently, closing myself off for a bit.
Wasn't expecting that.
Very uncomfortable just being here now.
Recently I have been shutting down, no air conditioner, very depressed.
I don't know much to say, but I when my energy levels get up I will.
I like reading what people say, I like saying something back if I can.
I have memories here, I look at old threads often.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@Animekitty are you talking about that thing where they told you to put a video in a separate thread? I doubt you made anyone upset.

Btw I like people with whom I can disagree a lot, so I like you.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:01 PM
-->
I feel I need to be careful is all.
It was other things as well.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
There can be no doubt that I'm a philosopher at heart, though I may not be a very good one. My mission for my entire adult life has been to acquire wisdom. So far, all of my progress has been negative, has consisted in unmasking the nonsense that has been proffered as wisdom, and of this negative progress, none has been made conversing on this forum, but by conferring with the eminent minds of history, especially Kant and those who have best elucidated, corrected, and expanded upon his thought. At best, I have been able to partake in "warm and fuzzy" feelings of approbation, affirmation, and belongingness through my interactions here. Yet, while it has not directly contributed to the achievement of my aims, it has perhaps boosted my morale and mitigated my social ossification somewhat.

KilledCat

Curiosity (the space rover) Killed the Cat
Local time
Today 12:01 AM
-->
I'm here because I wanted a place with people like me, who can't understand society, or social cues, who are INTPs like myself. I wanted a place where I could learn interesting things, find information, and talk to others. Overall, I just wanted a community I could understand and thrive in.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 12:01 AM
-->
I wandered in here many years ago after discovering Carl Jung, now they won’t let me leave!

Local time
-->
There can be no doubt that I'm a philosopher at heart, though I may not be a very good one. My mission for my entire adult life has been to acquire wisdom. So far, all of my progress has been negative, has consisted in unmasking the nonsense that has been proffered as wisdom, and of this negative progress, none has been made conversing on this forum, but by conferring with the eminent minds of history, especially Kant and those who have best elucidated, corrected, and expanded upon his thought. At best, I have been able to partake in "warm and fuzzy" feelings of approbation, affirmation, and belongingness through my interactions here. Yet, while it has not directly contributed to the achievement of my aims, it has perhaps boosted my morale and mitigated my social ossification somewhat.

If you don't like Kant, what do you think of Voltaire? He isn't conventionally thought of as a philosopher but had a nice bite to his words (ah, oppressed Frenchmen and the enlightenment period).

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
If you don't like Kant, what do you think of Voltaire? He isn't conventionally thought of as a philosopher but had a nice bite to his words (ah, oppressed Frenchmen and the enlightenment period).

I'm afraid I have no opinion on Voltaire to offer because I haven't read any of his work :/

I do like Kant though, despite the dry prolixity and contrived symmetry of his writing. He more forcibly argued the ideality of time and space than did Berkeley, finally putting his finger on its transcendental ideality, its role as a condition of possibility for simultaneity and succession in phenomena, though, to tell the truth, I think the conclusion he draws from this, that things are in one sense determined (as their empirical character, or as the phenomena that are the representation in perception of their determinate movement in time and space) and in another sense free (as their intelligible character, or as the postulated unknowable 'thing in itself' which is the ground of phenomena), to be unfounded.

Schopenhauer, I think, more aptly characterized the thing in itself as "blind will", the becoming (intrinsic existence of a unitary organic subject, a simple act of will) to phenomena's being (extrinsic existence of a diversity of objects that reciprocally define each other in time and space, reflecting the conflict of wills), both one in the same thing of whose identity we become aware when we perceive volition/appetition/suffering, the phenomenal manifestation of the conflict of the will with itself that reveals to us our dual aspect as patient and agent. Not so much freedom as Heraclitean eternal fire.

Edit: Also, Schopenhauer was a much better writer than Kant, and really than most other German philosophers. His motto in writing was the saying of Luc de Clapiers, "la clarté est la bonne foi des philosophes" ("clarity is the good faith of philosophers"), with which I agree wholeheartedly. The words of a philosopher, insofar as their meaning is obscure, place the onus on his audience to 'infer' (really to conjecture based on a hermeneutical hypothesis) from them what he really meant and invites them, if they are prudent, to doubt that his ambiguity isn't a sophistical tactic designed to conceal the flaws in his doctrine and thereby usurp their affirmation and perchance their good will, exploiting their credulity to banal egotistical ends- in short, that he is not a common charlatan and a miserable obscurantist; conversely, clarity in writing demonstrates one's sincere willingness not to usurp but to present one's own beliefs for the frank analysis and- should the conceptual structures pass inspection in that they demonstratively conform to the subjective phenomenal structure, the 'me' that it is the task of philosophy (which is at bottom, recalling Montaigne, self-portraiture) to depict symbolically- prospective adoption of his audience so that, without wasting their time with fruitless hermeneutical speculation, he brings all involved nearer to the truth.

Top Bottom