• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Should the avatar image size be changed?

• No, 300x300 is fine

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Yes, down to 250x250

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Yes, down to 200x200

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes, but we should increase it the size limit!

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 8:11 PM
-->
Hello!

For more efficiency and easy-readability I propose that we cap the avatar dimensions. Large avatars change the text boxes, and generally distract a lot from the actual content of the forum.

300x300 Is just really wide and big. I think 250x250 or around there would be okay (as a reference, my avatar is 240x180). 200x200 is a good size too, and most people keep their avatars down around there.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Why not make it so it auto resizes the avatars?

I like my avatar I think it is a bit on the bigger side, I wouldn't mind of it got shrunk down a bit, but I don't want to have to manually resize it.

and a lot of forums automatically shrink them if they are too big.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
Yeah that would be cool, although I don't know if this kind of forum often has that kind of capability.

(Though I dig your avatar, nobody)

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->

Rain

Lighting the Way
Local time
Yesterday 11:11 PM
-->
I think it is fine how it is. Most people have it smaller than 300x300 anyways.

Sapphire Harp

Local time
Yesterday 9:11 PM
-->
Fukyo was requesting an increase in the permitted file size in a thread in the suggestions area... And I'd be all for an increase in the file size, since it takes some very specific editing to drop the size under 30k... (Or rather, the 20k limit it used to be.)

As for the image size, I voted for 200, but I think a 175 pixel limit is the appropriate size. When you get bigger than that, you start distorting the forum layout - for everyone.

Obviously, I think the closer we get to 175, the better off the forum will look. More consistent.

The automatic scaling of larger images by the forum software would be pretty amazing to get, though... *Hopes.*

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
more consistent is better? :confused:

...but yeah. On the width, I know what you mean. It is a tiny little frustration whenever I'm scrolling down, suddenly begin reading nobody's avatar, and go "damnit" and have to shift my vision off to the right 3/4 of an inch or so.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 5:11 AM
-->
*agrees, that the width should be capped*

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
more consistent is better? :confused:

...but yeah. On the width, I know what you mean. It is a tiny little frustration whenever I'm scrolling down, suddenly begin reading nobody's avatar, and go "damnit" and have to shift my vision off to the right 3/4 of an inch or so.

o no, I whole 3/4 of an inch :storks:

instead of adjusting the size of the avatar width, why not make it so no matter what the posts always line up.

Either by making wider avatars push to the left instead of the right, or by having the bar that separates posts, and the users info farther to the right.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 5:11 AM
-->
I lol every time I see nobody's avatar. The whole screen is shifted over XD

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Sapphire Harp

Local time
Yesterday 9:11 PM
-->
Well, now there's quite a few larger avatars, so we can all know what it's really going to be like...

My opinion really hasn't changed - I don't care for the large ones because they really have that...
"IN YOUR FACE"
...feeling about them, and the really screw with the formatting.

Maybe a few people who haven't weighed in yet would like to say something?

P.S. Ah, why is this in the announcements category and not in suggestions? (Just noticed.)

Local time
-->
oops, I voted for 300x300 not realizing how big that actually is. I should have voted 250x250.

Top Bottom