• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Best video game for INTP

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 10:22 AM
-->
I've been thinking about new game.

what games do you like?

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->
dark souls/demon souls/darksouls 2, are hard games, should give you a challenge.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
I used to play StarCraft. It seemed like it took forever to do anything, let alone win.

WheatThins

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I personally love minecraft. It's as mindless or as in depth as you want it to be. The INTP is after all,the architect type.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:22 PM
-->
Faster Than Light is equal parts fun and frustrating, I think in the enhanced edition once you start doing really well the game finds ways to fuck with you, a few times I've had to flee from a ship in the 4th sector which just seemed to be designed to take me down.

Like having a weapons setup for breaching, a mind control unit and a boarding drone, all in all I could wipe out the crew of an enemy ship pretty damn fast, except for this one ship I came across that was a slug ship (auto breach sealing) and had a crew of five Engie so mind control achieved little more than an inconvenience, by itself the drone dosen't do much damage either and they repaired all the breaches and broken systems practically instantly.

It had a glaive, an ion bomb and some other generic weapons, in one shot the glaive wiped out my fully charged overshield, the ion bomb took down my regular shields and then regular weaponry damaged and set on fire my shield and weapons rooms, it was a perfect attack, there was no recovery from that point.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
One that you program and customise yourself. Everything could be your game.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Fallout New Vegas+it's DLC (which is well worth it) is still the best RPG of this and the previous generation.

NormannTheDoorman

Rice is love. Rice is life.
Local time
Today 9:22 PM
-->
Hearts of Iron series

HEIL HITLER:evil:

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 12:22 PM
-->
QuakeLive

david251

Local time
Today 12:22 PM
-->
I've been obsessed/addicted with different games, mostly Age of Mythology, Pokemon. But the top addictive game I have ever played would be Minecraft. I guess there are plenty good rpg-s out there, but I hesitate to play new games because I 'm afraid I will get obsessed with them.

Direwolf

Local time
-->
Dragonage. Dont know if it applies to you all. But most DEFINITELY for me.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 12:22 AM
-->
I thought Bioshock Infinite was probably the best game I've ever played. It had action, realistic (for a video game anyway) human drama, adventure, puzzles, deus ex style customizations, a complex story, immersion, lots of text/documents that adds to the atmosphere and story of the game while playing, and an appreciation for quantum mechanics/theory.

mooncrater

Local time
-->
Any Civ game, but Civ 5 is great. It's a little less detail-oriented than the previous ones.

Open-ended games like Skyrim - "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!". Such a beautiful game.

Half-Life. I love obliterating authority.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 11:22 AM
-->
If you're technical-creative INTP so for example... programmer, hacker, electronics, dominoe course builder, car technician, engineer, puzzle designer, level creator for some game... this kind of whacky err i mean cool person:

get yourself a minecraft + purely technical modpack. e.g.
minecraft-MindCrack or
minecraft-FTB

but make sure you have at least a couple of months of free time... you've been warned
i know it's hard to imagine what the heck im talking about so I attached a motivational picture.
from my 'time' that's just one level of a 7-or-so-level fully automated undergound facility

Attachments

• reactor_level.jpg
    reactor_level.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 596

Count Dusseldorf

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:22 AM
-->
I really like the total war games. Rome 1 was excellent, albeit, outdated. The same goes for medieval II.
Shogun II is very good, Rome II is alright as well.

Local time
-->
I personally like the Halo series and Minecraft. They are both great for the INTP in different ways; FPS games train you to think fast and form strategies in split seconds. Minecraft on the other hand, basically lets you to do whatever you want and make anything you want and no one can ever say anything about it (unless youre on a server)

Mithrandir

INTP
Local time
-->
Never played Minecraft, but enjoyed Terraria quite a bit. Sort of a 2D minecraftish game where you explore and gather all the resources to build all the things you'll ever use in the game. This type of game is great for an INTP.

In Halo Reach, I spent almost as much time building multiplayer maps as I did playing multiplayer.

Total War games, as mentioned, are excellent for Real Time Strategy if you're interested in warfare from the 19th century and back. For WWII, I'd highly recommend the Company of heroes games.

Skyrim was amazing.

Prison Architect is a good one for both building and pondering human nature.

Crusader Kings II if you like medieval history, "what if?" scenarios, and the idea of ruling a nation.

The Walking Dead games by Telltale are extremely good if you're in the mood for a story game where your tough choices determine the story progression and how the characters treat you. And zombies.

Dragon Age: Origins is an excellent party-based old-school RPG with excellent story, characters, and tough choices through dialog. Dragon Age II is pretty good for a more action oriented version of the game.

4x Games like Civ 5 or Warlock: Master of the Arcane are fun.

Oddly enough, I got real sucked into Sims 3. It enabled me to play out many "what if?" scenarios and build stuff.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 5:22 PM
-->
LFS,Portal 2, and GTA

LFS just allows for so much modification I get obsessed with trying to build the best car possible or imitate cars in real life.

GTA is GTA. I mean, any taste of life without real consequences is great.GTA is the closest it gets to real life for me.

Portal 2 was the best game I played though. I just got blown away by everything. That is true art. Like double rainbow beautiful. That moment when you are playing a game and you take a moment to reflect on how amazing the game is? Like holy shit there is music for walking on this yellow paint? It's fucking electro music. The music is basically a function that depends on how you walk on yellow ass fucking painttt what the fuckkkkkk

that sorta thing.

The easter egg for Half Life 3 was stupidly fucking cool too though.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 4:22 AM
-->
I don't know if you can pick one out.

My ISTP brother plays Civ 5 a lot - but my INTP son and I don't play it all that much frankly. It's a nice strategy game, but maybe because I strategize and design so much during the day I want an escape later.

Instead we prefer immersive story type games. LOTRO and ESO are my two. I love being in a huge epic fantasy type world developing a character.

My son also loves playing cooperative games because he likes socializing with his friends.

So you might think INTP's would play only strategy architecting games it might be different, because people go to games for different reasons, relaxation being primary.

k9b4

Banned
Local time
Today 8:52 PM
-->
If you don't mind old graphics and awkward controls, Gothic 1 and 2 are really great RPGs. Good story, immersive and I loved the character development.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 3:22 AM
-->
The easter egg for Half Life 3 was stupidly fucking cool too though.

HL3 easter egg?? :confused:

edit: you mean the Borealis?

ABdrew

Local time
-->
i personally suggest, skyrim :)

Direwolf

Local time
-->
i personally suggest, skyrim :)

Personal favourite of mine. Have you tried the new dragonage? Came out for me today.

SilentStorm

Local time
-->
My favorite games are a tie between Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Final Fantasy X. Fallout is better if you like more of an action oriented open world type of game. Final Fantasy X has the best story line out of any game I have played. It also has an awesome, highly strategic battle system.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 4:22 AM
-->
There's no one answer to this. I think INTP's go to games for several reasons, here's what I see with possible suggestions

• Downtime and relaxation. For this any game will do, but perhaps a more non taxing one. At that I bet INTP's still gravitate towards games that are challenging. FPS, RPG. Narrative games, Casual Games
  • To Think A profile once said that INTP's can use TV as a background for their thinking. I think games serve this purpose too, and for sure a non taxing game is probably what is preferred. RPG, Adventure
  • To Learn Games can offer a lot to learn, both in the state of game technology and other skills. Puzzle, Strategy, RPG (if you're into the milieu), Simulation
  • Socialization. Games are a great way for INTP's to socialize, as it gives a common purpose and interest rather than cocktail party socialization. Coop, MMORPGs

Those are general reasons to play a game for an INTP, but there are specific genres that would exercise an INTP's type better than others.

• Strategy (Ti/Si) Especially a 4X game like Civ 5. I've been almost exclusively playing it now. Just in the evening when I'm tired of doing anything else, it's a great recharge while still doing something positive for me. For example, I will research whatever Civ I'm playing. So in addition to developing my strategizing abilities it gives me a reason to study a little history which is a subject I'm deficient in. In this way it more than useless downtime.
  • Simulation (Ti/Ne) I'm thinking of like Game of Life and physics simulations, not just games like "Goat Simulator". These are a great way to develop your first two functions.
  • Programming Game (Ti/Ne/Si) And others. Stack Overflow has a programming game forum where great ones come up all the time. These are a great way to learn new skills too.

Rainer

Eater
Local time
-->
Civilization II is the timeless classic INTP game,
with all its approbation from Ran Prieur, whom I take to be some sort of role model and want to ape in every way (google him)

Civ 4 is pretty alright too.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Tales of series.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 12:22 AM
-->
Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

You aren't a true INTP until you've played through this masterpiece.

RandomGeneratedName

Main Reactor
Local time
-->
Really enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.
It's a 4x-ish game.
(steam)

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

I would suggest something like this or SimCity will be enough and decent time wasters or investments. Only problem might be they can be too simple and once understood how they work it could be time to move on.

Wouldn't suggest new era shooters like CoD but of course if you grew up with GoldenEye it was fun. More cerebral stuff like BioShock or Fallout (and probably Skyrim) are, again, decent time sinkers.

On average can't go wrong with RPGs. Personally I revisit some classics but there are good newer ones too. Well traditional turn based adventure RPGs can be good to commit to, 50+ hours for your money's worth. I strongly admire tactical based similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. Different tactical games usually operate slightly different, meaning the AI behaves and is motivated by different stuff that can make you lose so there can always be some challenge.

Fighting games can be good but make sure you pick what complements preferences. Anime style fighting games (BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, Arcana Heart) can be fun but are usually more hardcore. American stuff like Mortal Kombat are usually at least fun for a while and have decent learning curves yet I can't help but see them as jokes. Then there's 3-D stuff like Tekken or Soul Calibur, which are just as good and popular too. I tend to prefer 2-D or 2.5-D stuff like Street Fighter, although the newest one IV was kind of annoying. The controls tend to be the best or simplest in these except combos take time to learn.

What makes fighting games fun is the frame work, you basically learn a system then try to move around the most efficient way you can. With the SF series though they can't help but continually update the game and change some of the properties. There's usually lots of characters so a few end up being "clones", like Ryu & Ken but really they're just interesting alternatives to the same character so you can sort of play them in a different way. Really, every character is a slight variation on Ryu, even Guile. Wouldn't really recommend though because you'd have to sink all your time into them and practice every day or else you'll fall behind on everyone else then it isn't really worth playing.

You can develop muscle memory though and still be decent next time you play.

I hear MMORPGs are popular but I never really got into them. Stuff like WoW, LoL, or Runescape I could get into but I think I was too busy to willingly get sucked in. Don't really need all that.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
Team Fortress 2 is a good one. For an FPS, it's pretty fast-paced and fun, but has a certain level of thought and strategy in play style and choosing loadouts. But it's too big to be for one type. Multiple classes you can play take some of the skills needed from certain types. For example, the Medic and Spy classes are more of INTP or INTJ classes, since you have to strategize to find the best way to help your team or to take out high-priority targets, but an SP Artisan would likely have more fun as Heavy, because you can get in the fight and blast people down. Also there are a lot of hats.

Portal and Portal 2 are great for INTPs that want puzzles to go through.

I've never really liked MMOs. The type of fantasy is too cheesy for me, and that many people with different levels or whatever playing at once isn't really my thing. And the community isn't the best in my eyes.

I don't have much attachment to RPGs either, but I heard from my ENTJ friend that Shadow of Mordor was great, and it sounds enticing to me as a LOTR fan.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
I loved Runescape, it's a really social game much more so than any other mmo I ever played, a very well made social interaction systems in it. Loved the quests and loved always finding the most efficient/best way to do stuff(Spent half the time figuring out the most efficient way to do something before I did it).

Could often find exciting puzzles to solve (if you don't use guides). Had a massive variety of things to explore and learn. If nothing else I would look for new ways to make money in the game. Loved a war type mini game called soul wars, saw myself as a commander for my clan competing with other entities. The 2 years in game time I spent on the game is not time I regret.

After playing runescape and then trying wow I was like... so the only thing I can do in this game is raid twice a week a bit of pvp and the rest is shit... that game didn't last long by comparison.

Maybe I should start playing runescape again... I do have a backlog of 20 new quests now that I plan to do, at some point.(Runescape has the best quest system of any game I ever played, other games quest systems are jokes in comparison)

Fat Bread

Wet Noodle
Local time
-->
Unreal.

No, not Unreal Tournament and it's endless list of sequels (though they're decent deathmatch games), and certainly not Unreal 2, the biggest letdown of a sequel of all time. I'm talking about the original single player experience, the one forgotten by time and apparently even most fans of the strictly multiplayer series it spawned despite having made a pretty big splash when it was released almost 18 years ago (Christ, am I that old?).

In terms of gameplay mechanics, it's not all that special for a game of it's era, though it was one of the first to feature enemies with AI advanced beyond the "run straight at the player and shoot" algorithm. The graphics show their age, yet this game is still beautiful even today. What makes it so special is the overall atmosphere. The visual style and level design immerse you in a breathtaking alien world and are accompanied by a spectacular soundtrack. The otherworldly atmosphere is what really got me hooked as a kid and what I think would appeal to a lot of INTPs. I think it sells for $10.00 on steam (look for Unreal Gold). I can recall my friend buying it in the bargain bin at walmart for less than $5 a few years after it came out, so the steam price is kind of a rip off, but it IS one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and you're not going to find a (legal) copy anywhere else.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Unreal.

No, not Unreal Tournament and it's endless list of sequels (though they're decent deathmatch games), and certainly not Unreal 2, the biggest letdown of a sequel of all time. I'm talking about the original single player experience, the one forgotten by time and apparently even most fans of the strictly multiplayer series it spawned despite having made a pretty big splash when it was released almost 18 years ago (Christ, am I that old?).

In terms of gameplay mechanics, it's not all that special for a game of it's era, though it was one of the first to feature enemies with AI advanced beyond the "run straight at the player and shoot" algorithm. The graphics show their age, yet this game is still beautiful even today. What makes it so special is the overall atmosphere. The visual style and level design immerse you in a breathtaking alien world and are accompanied by a spectacular soundtrack. The otherworldly atmosphere is what really got me hooked as a kid and what I think would appeal to a lot of INTPs. I think it sells for $10.00 on steam (look for Unreal Gold). I can recall my friend buying it in the bargain bin at walmart for less than $5 a few years after it came out, so the steam price is kind of a rip off, but it IS one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and you're not going to find a (legal) copy anywhere else.

Looked at some playthroughs and yeah it definitely has something. Really diggin the music too.

This level looks ace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcHWNdxToiE

RandomGeneratedName

Main Reactor
Local time
-->
Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Suprisingly a Bethesda game many haven't heard of.
£2 purchase at local game station, wasn't expecting much, especially never being interested in the genre before.

Loved it.

Since Unreal Tournament has been said, I feel obliged to mention Quake 2. One of the few games I wanted to and enjoyed completing repeatedly and on the hardest setting. MP has some nice levels as well.

+1 on Tekken (3) and Soul Calibur (2)

Command and Conquer Zero Hour/Generals I think was the best of the series (last few were awful)
Praetorians is an RTS I really enjoyed.

American McGee Presents: Scrapland
Played the demo when I was younger, had to find it for PC yearslater. If you like robots, and the Vigilante game series, except you can fly through a city set in the future and piss off robo-cops GTA style, you'll like this. (super fun)

Sid Meier's Pirates! is another great great strategy game.

Inquisitor

Local time
-->
On the phone/ipad:

Clash of Clans and Boom Beach both by SuperCell...SO MUCH FUN!!!

And if you join a clan, very social too. So satisfying building the perfect base and refining your attack strategy. And your clan members are a great source of ideas too. My clan even has a facebook page where there are serious discussions on strategy. Never gets old, and it's all about delayed gratification. Play at work, anytime you have a 5 minute break, etc.

On the PC:

Strategy: Civ 5, Command & Conquer, Homeworld, Total War games

RPG/Adventure: Mass Effect (all of them), Batman (arkham asylum, city)

FPS: Not a huge fan of this category...but Crysis and F.E.A.R. games were pretty good...the latter is terrifying in a dark room with the volume turned up. Alien Isolation was hands down the most TERRIFYING game I've ever played in my life. Cortisol levels were maxed out with that game. :elephant:

Neckbeard

Local time
-->
I personally love minecraft. It's as mindless or as in depth as you want it to be. The INTP is after all,the architect type.

Absolutely this. It's your own little world where you can feel a sense of accomplishment and superiority from wasting many days constructing something really intelligent and creative that nobody but you has any use for, and without leaving the comfort of your computer chair.

As INTP as it gets.

Vicissitude

Local time
-->
Not sure but since im INTP i can spout what games i like.

STALKER Series (for immersion)

Metro 2033 and last light, same reason as above

Fallout 1,2,New Vegas

Xenonauts: strategy game with lots of flavor

Bastion: good story and fun gameplay

Brander

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The Games I find the most pleasure in:
-Civilization Series
- Fallout 3 and New Vegas
- The Total War Series
- Command and Conquer Series
-Kerbal Space Program

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
Am I weird in that I don't really like games that much?

I played LoZ: Link Between Worlds about six months ago. I enjoyed it, but mainly for the imagery, music, and story. If it had been a movie I might have enjoyed it more.

When I was a teenager I used to love games like Mega Man X6 and Chrono Trigger for the same reasons. I'm not really interested in the challenges of puzzles, beating bosses, or collecting things. I just like taking in the beauty of it. I appreciate the mythological aspect of the LoZ series and I would rather read Zelda Wiki than play a game.

Local time
-->
I'd suggest Skyrim, almost anything RTS: Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Starcraft, et cetera, STALKER was good, I enjoy Endless Space, the Thief series was fun, and if I may suggest, even though it's not a game and if you like to build stuff, AutoCAD or Inventor. :phear: I spend a lot of time in the last two, not necessarily for work, but for fun, too.

Yossarian

Local time
-->
I really like Hearthstone. Very elegant UI, relaxed turn-based pace, constant puzzle solving and having to work with imperfect information.

Brander

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I really like Hearthstone. Very elegant UI, relaxed turn-based pace, constant puzzle solving and having to work with imperfect information.

I have a couple of friends who are fascinated with this game. I haven't played it personally though, isn't it based on WoW?

Bock

caffeine fiend
Local time
-->
So much casual modern AAA-nonsense in this thread :beatyou: People mentioning skyrim and dragon age but not morrowind or baldurs gate...

b63ece67bfd4da2cd2c20fa48544e360850f87a139cc6e0361ab074e2caad995.jpg

Top Bottom