• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Big Picture

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:40 PM
-->
What does 'big picture' mean to you? How would you describe it? Can you please provide a concrete example?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 1:40 AM
-->
What does 'big picture' mean to you? How would you describe it? Can you please provide a concrete example?

The universe :D

Context. Big picture to me is the overall goal or point of whatever I'm focused on. Be it a simple task, my business venture, local through world events etc.

It's looking past the details and examining the overall purpose/goal in order to better orient the details into reaching said purpose/goal.

:confused:

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I guess I would have to define it as the back bone structure that whole all the small picture Ideas in place.

An example would be Albert Einstein's Universal theory or Douglas Adam's 42.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:40 AM
-->
The size of the big picture is relative.
One may think that the one is watching the big picture but may be for some other, the same picture can be pretty small.
All is relative.
According to the convention if watching the big picture is like watching the forest instead of wasting all the time in watching the tree.
I see the big picture as a zoomed out view.
For me I am not to sure about the what is truly the big picture.
May be we are just some program made my advanced people who themselves are some programs.
A matrix inside a matrix inside a matrix......
May be this whole universe is just a neutrino of some other universe with different set of lawas of physics.
After searching knowledge and truth, I only realized how negligible my knowledge is.
I am not sure about anything now.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:40 PM
-->
'Big picture' to me means a range of things such as seeing productive advantages & emergent situations, and thinking multi-contextually with creativity & erudition.

Scenario #1: Productive advantages

A couple of people find a wallet on the ground filled with dollar bills amounting to hundreds if not thousands. One of them wants to spend it all on immediate gratification such as drugs, a fancy wardrobe or media consumption. The other one makes the point that they could invest the money in activities/objects that would return even more money or more gratification than one-off options.

Here big picture means seeing all off the possibilities and judging which ones are most productive rather than what's most immediate to one's desires. Investing in drugs rather than buying them, suits and other attire to impress future associates, or a quality entertainment system are ways that could still be big picture even if focused on a material lifestyle.

Scenario #2: Emergent situations

A plane crashes into the ocean halfway through its trip. The remaining survivors make it to an uncharted island. They form groups among themselves and follow their own plans for survival; all but one of the groups spend their time trying to fish and collect coconuts, the group instead looks for safe shelter expecting the island to become hostile during the night, realizing they can live for awhile without food. Nighttime comes and the other groups realize they have nowhere to rest and sleep, ferocious animals come out and attack them all.

Seeing the emergent situation rather than the immediate, current situation is another example of the big picture.

Scenario #3: Multi-contextual thinking

A traveler comes across a bridge blocked by a mythical creature. The creature tells the traveler its riddle must be answered correctly in order to pass. "What goes on four legs in the morning, on two legs at noon, and on three legs in the evening?" The traveler thinks 'that's impossible, no creature does that'. After a long period of intensive thinking the traveler begins to wonder what the creature meant instead of just what it said, and realizes the riddle is only impossible in literal reality. The traveler proceeds to play with the meanings of 'leg' and time of day.

Big picture here means using critical and creative thinking instead of following familiar or simple lines of thought.

Scenario #4: Erudite thinking

A party of explorers discover an ancient artifact atop the tomb of a king, its respective culture's language is inscribed. One of the party members, the erudite, observes the artifact and interprets the message to be a curse to all intruders who come to raid the tomb. However the erudite knows through extensive research that the curse is activated by stepping on one of the tiles near the exit of the chamber, which would block the exit and release scarabs.

In this example, big picture means using a wide body of knowledge to understand the meanings and implications of a situation, instead of seeing a situation for what's only presently available to the senses.

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
-->
Example: Noting the overall point that a criminal defendant is a bad person who deserves bad things and may have done the instant crime, and ignoring the minor discrepancies that show the people accusing him of the instant crime are lying

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
-->
Yeah I basically agree about the more prediction correlating with the bigger picture.

Local time
Today 5:40 AM
-->
May be we are just some program made my advanced people who themselves are some programs.
May be this whole universe is just a neutrino of some other universe with different set of lawas of physics.
After searching knowledge and truth, I only realized how negligible my knowledge is.
^This isn't really related to the OP at all, but yeah, you get it. Not easily described, is it?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Hello snafupants
The size of the big picture is relative. One may think that the one is watching the big picture but may be for some other, the same picture can be pretty small.
All is relative.
According to the convention if watching the big picture is like watching the forest instead of wasting all the time in watching the tree.
I see the big picture as a zoomed out view.
The big picture IS relative. Right. Depends on where you are standing. There are many big pictures. It's a matter of selecting a good one.

How are you? Answer this and I will give you a diagnosis. It would help to get off the sauce and clear the brain though. You may be off kilter. Wait a while for re-orientation. What do the medics know? They know something.

Top Bottom