• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Bloodline (Netflix)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
they dumped first season march 20 and there will be a new one next year.

it's really good and i recommend it since i haven't seen it mentioned here. it evokes a wealth of themes and uses the medium to good effect.

anyone seen it? what do you think?

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
i haven't but since you got me into true detective and i really liked it, i'll trust again and give it a try, then i'll come back here and give my review.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
i haven't but since you got me into true detective and i really liked it, i'll trust again and give it a try, then i'll come back here and give my review.

looking forward to it :D almost as much as the new season lol

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
I went to read their IMDB page, looks appealing, but what is the drama about? Can you describe it in a few words? I don't mind being spoiled, you can send me a pm if you'd like. I'll definitely give True Detective a try, though.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I went to read their IMDB page, looks appealing, but what is the drama about? Can you describe it in a few words? I don't mind being spoiled, you can send me a pm if you'd like. I'll definitely give True Detective a try, though.

my take on it within the spoiler. i try to not spoil any major plot points though.

there's a classic big name family with dark secrets kind of setup. and then the dramatic events unfold as the main character, who is the black sheep or scapegoat, returns. he resents his family but finds himself gravitating toward the unresolved conflict. the series is a lot about exploring the complexities of perpetrator/victim, the effects of trauma on personality development, and the dynamics of manipulation. the main character is basically a vortex of evil. his disregard and coldness, which he feels perfectly righteous, enables him to exploit every piece of information and come out on top every time, seemingly without any planning. he just is what he does. he doesn't have to hide his schemes; he's got a hold on everyone and puts them in stalemate. i'd type him as an extremely unhealthy Ne dominant. anyway all of this makes for a very powerful impact imo. it's a nice, deeper and more honest twist on the popular hyper-intelligent psychopath/autist/sigma-male trope which has been very prevalent lately, in Sherlock, Nightcrawler, The Infinity Game and more (Doctor Who may be mentioned). it's refreshing to see a character like that not relying on encyclopedic knowledge, superhuman feats of perception/deduction or a simplistically singular devotion to some intellectual craft - instead just acting intuitively within a believable interpersonal context. they've really did a good job creating a fully-fledged character like that, with depth and soul. True Detective succeeded aswell. the main reason why they succeed is a focus on the personality of someone with such intelligence, rather than the processing power. this also hints at the intelligence itself way more effectively; the personality is the result of a hyper-powered ability to rationalize and thus to find purpose within oneself in opposition to the external. and of course it's a prison. etc.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
my take on it within the spoiler. i try to not spoil any major plot points though.

there's a classic big name family with dark secrets kind of setup. and then the dramatic events unfold as the main character, who is the black sheep or scapegoat, returns. he resents his family but finds himself gravitating toward the unresolved conflict. the series is a lot about exploring the complexities of perpetrator/victim, the effects of trauma on personality development, and the dynamics of manipulation. the main character is basically a vortex of evil. his disregard and coldness, which he feels perfectly righteous, enables him to exploit every piece of information and come out on top every time, seemingly without any planning. he just is what he does. he doesn't have to hide his schemes; he's got a hold on everyone and puts them in stalemate. i'd type him as an extremely unhealthy Ne dominant. anyway all of this makes for a very powerful impact imo. it's a nice, deeper and more honest twist on the popular hyper-intelligent psychopath/autist/sigma-male trope which has been very prevalent lately, in Sherlock, Nightcrawler, The Infinity Game and more (Doctor Who may be mentioned). it's refreshing to see a character like that not relying on encyclopedic knowledge, superhuman feats of perception/deduction or a simplistically singular devotion to some intellectual craft - instead just acting intuitively within a believable interpersonal context. they've really did a good job creating a fully-fledged character like that, with depth and soul. True Detective succeeded aswell. the main reason why they succeed is a focus on the personality of someone with such intelligence, rather than the processing power. this also hints at the intelligence itself way more effectively; the personality is the result of a hyper-powered ability to rationalize and thus to find purpose within oneself in opposition to the external. and of course it's a prison. etc.

Thank you for that. It intrigued me, I'll definitely check it out :)

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 12:15 AM
-->
Yeah True Detective season 2 comes out soon, hopefully it ends up being good.

Ocofan

Engineer
Local time
Today 6:15 PM
-->
This is a rare show for me in that I've tried to get hooked on it but to no effect (made it to episode 6). I find it hard to sympathise for any of the characters or their stories when the show focuses on their heavily repetitive flaws.

Redfire

and Blood
Local time
-->
I liked it. It's very human. It's refreshing to see something realistic after watching so much "theatrical" stuff, so to speak.
To be honest, though, I only watched it because I saw it on Netflix and didn't have anything else to do that day. The plot itself was a bit slow at first for me.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
i just finished it. great.

it was so sad to see danny dying that way. it was so normal so un epic that it was damn tragic.
but i understand those feelings driving john to madness. quite a loss anyway.
probably he was an ISFP? or ISTP? can't quite tell.
john istj, meg estj, kevin esfp.
also wtf with his son at the end.

Top Bottom