• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Calling all INTP engineers

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
Hello INTP's

This is my first post and also a quick introduction. I'm 28, from UK, INTJ/P and from a plumbing and Army background. I hope you are all fine.

I'm hoping by posting here i will attract some INTP engineering types who might want to get involved in a project i have running at the moment.

The project: "BioGen" is an attempt to build a small scale organic rankine cycle co generation device fueled by biomass.

This article details a bit more about BioGen : http://www.alternative-energy-resources.net/getting-off-the-grid-with-biogen.html

Now, i'm going to put my website and my youtube channel links on here but as a warning to anybody who may get upset when i encourage people with an interest to donate money by buying a membership: please be aware that my videos do suggest such insanity;)

That very small stream of membership income is directed back into the project, i assure you. At the moment i have 3 full members, the other 2 applicants did not want to contribute so they were shown the door. You see, i see the membership fee as a means of preventing freeloaders and cheapskates from stealing my hard work or troublemakers and doubting Thomas types from wasting my time.

i apologise if some of the videos are too quiet or too boring but i am hopefully getting better as i go along.

Here is the website for a group who have built something similar to BioGen:

http://www.stginternational.org/specs.html

Here is my website if you feel the need: www.biogen.webs.com

And, here is my youtube channel with videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoLpH1983

The main featured video being the most recent.

I would much appreciate questions and constructive criticism in this thread.

Thanks,

Dolph

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
Scaaaaaaammmmm!

I'm very sorry for saying that if you actually are a 28 year old INTP/J engineering. But you type like a Nigerian.

And the membership thing is fucked up. The way of modern innovation tends to be open source tinkering. Yes, you guys need money-- but if someone can't contribute money, can't you still get help from them in the form of elbow grease or brainpower?

Welcome to the forum!

Edit// okay, I did some poking around and I guess you're kind of legit. You should have linked to your youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoLpH1983
And I still stand by my original comment about membership.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
What is an INTJ/P? Don't think I've seen such a critter before.

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
-->
Reverse Transcriptase, thanks for your comments. But next time try to read the post thoroughly and re-read it if you have failed to understand some of it's content. That way accusations can be avoided which make you look very foolish.

Yes i am Legit and I did put a link to my youtube channel, thanks.

Membership does not rely on financial payment alone, more on commitment. I like my members to feel they have invested in BioGen and a financial commitment is in my opinion the best way to filter out people who have a bit of an interest in BioGen but not quite enough to commit the price of a cup of coffee to the project, from those who have an interest and want to commit some of their hard earned.

To justify my membership fee (which is a very modest and reasonable 3.99): If i had 100 members who had joined for no cost then i'd have the problem solving ability of 100 minds but without the finances to put any of those solutions in to action, therefore, i'd have created another problem. 100 members who had payed 3.99 each would give me £399 with which to turn ideas in to action and therefore solve problems, not create more.

Dolph

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
-->

i'm sort of border line between the two but with a bias for strategical thinking. A strange beast.:D

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:06 PM
-->
Interesting.

If you can make it simple/easy enough it may catch on.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->
I am a mechanical engineer however, I just got my degree a year ago so, I don't have much "real world" experience. The thermodynamics side of engineering is what interested me the most (vs. kinematics or dynamics).

That being said the kind of work you are doing is exactly the kind of thing that I would like to get into; alternative energy. Be it geothermal heating, wind, solar, or biomass. When I get a garage of my own I plan to do some tinkering.

For my senior design project I built a 12x 6inch disc Boundary Layer Turbine (aka Tesla Turbine). I made it out of acryllic discs and fiberglass for the case. It was more meant to be a proof of concept since I didn't have much money for testing. I ran it off compressed air- and sure enough it spooled up just don't know how well it performed.

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
-->
I am a mechanical engineer however, I just got my degree a year ago so, I don't have much "real world" experience. The thermodynamics side of engineering is what interested me the most (vs. kinematics or dynamics).

That being said the kind of work you are doing is exactly the kind of thing that I would like to get into; alternative energy. Be it geothermal heating, wind, solar, or biomass. When I get a garage of my own I plan to do some tinkering.

For my senior design project I built a 12x 6inch disc Boundary Layer Turbine (aka Tesla Turbine). I made it out of acryllic discs and fiberglass for the case. It was more meant to be a proof of concept since I didn't have much money for testing. I ran it off compressed air- and sure enough it spooled up just don't know how well it performed.

Good work warryer, glad to hear you are interested in this type of machine.

Micro CHP machines are becoming more popular and with good garage engineering there is no reason why switched on people can't do it for themselves.

If all goes to plan i should have a more sophisticated system built within 2 months, it should prove the concept and give a net electrical output. From there i will continue to develop my device at best speed. a tesla turbine has'nt been ruled out for this system i just have not focused my efforts in that direction, be good to hear what you think in terms of it's suitability for this system.

Ringo

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->
If you are an INTP...
I
Need
To
Puke

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
Wouldn't it be easier for you (given the scope and nature of your project) to lobby for interest locally? There are plenty of meet up and job posting services where you could evaluate potential teammates and contract out minor / construction portions of your idea without appealing to strangers of varying skill levels and geographical limitations on a forum. Would also make more sense to pitch to VCs and lobby for financial backing via local channels.

But that's just me.

Anyways, good luck!

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
-->
Wouldn't it be easier for you (given the scope and nature of your project) to lobby for interest locally? There are plenty of meet up and job posting services where you could evaluate potential teammates and contract out minor / construction portions of your idea without appealing to strangers of varying skill levels and geographical limitations on a forum. Would also make more sense to pitch to VCs and lobby for financial backing via local channels.

But that's just me.

Anyways, good luck!

Hi Enne, thanks, i'm very picky about who i work with and as for VC's i can't stand the thought of my beloved project becoming the property of a suit. I'm not trying to turn my idea into a large scale business venture, my project is intended to be as sustainable as possible. I'm simply trying to target potential engineering enthusiasts who share a passion for alternative energy and a dislike of corporate mentality in the hope they like the project and want to get involved in some way. There are many of these people lurking. I intend to create more of a club than a manufacturing business, the club brings together people from all over the world who share a common interest.

Have a great new year.

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
Today 7:06 AM
-->
I am interested in those micro turbines that can burn anything (e.g. your trash). They are like XL-size washing machines and quite quiet.
NOW THOSE ARE INTERESTING

So you can just throw anything burnable inside: plastic, cow dung, paper, wood, your iphone, your cat. And then it just incinerates it all and drives the turbine.

Dolph1983

An Inventor (sort of)
Local time
-->
I am interested in those micro turbines that can burn anything (e.g. your trash). They are like XL-size washing machines and quite quiet.
NOW THOSE ARE INTERESTING

So you can just throw anything burnable inside: plastic, cow dung, paper, wood, your iphone, your cat. And then it just incinerates it all and drives the turbine.

You are spot on SkyWalker, i covered some of the uses for my system in the latest video, including an incinerator. Burn whatever you like and convert the heat into electricity.http://www.youtube.com/user/DoLpH1983?feature=mhum

warryer

Local time
-->
The Tesla probably isn't where you want to focus your efforts. It's not very efficient. However, it is very simple and less expensive to make than blade turbines. Maybe the benchmark could be power output vs cost? Cost would have to include cost of fuel as well as start up. I envision that the Tesla may be cheapest up front but in the long run it will be most expensive due to poor energy conversion.

In my opinion, the finished product is going have to be just as (or more) convenient than whats currently available. I would say most people don't really care about the environment but, themselves. The environmental effects of such a project are going to be tertiary to cost and convenience.

It's going to be a difficult hill to climb but i think it can be done. The most difficult part is going to be your source(s) of fuel. How much wood do I have to chop? How much trash do I have to burn?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:06 PM
-->
Theoretically speaking, from what I've learn about gyroscopes, it would seem you could replace the same right hand rule ideas in electrical engineering and apply it to this Tesla generator.

Imagine the spinning wheel acting as current flowing through a big circular wire. As you get toward the center you have less magnetic flux going around the wire; in the center there is theoretically no flux generating out of the spinning wheel. And depending on the direction of rotation you will find the flux going from that center around the wheel to the other side in the other center. The center axis is generating a magnetic field in a particular direction.

Now add holes to the center and pass air to the top of the spinning wheel. If the wheel is already spinning a particular direction, the air will get sucked into that field it creates and should probably expand as a result, causing a friction that sticks to the wheel and causes it to move (which I strongly believe is what a magnetic field really does to matter) as it goes toward the center. In affect, you're most likely ionizing the oxygen in the air.

It would then seem that even if this wasn't that efficient that it would still be more efficient than any other means of propulsion because the air resistance acts partly as an energy source. It also seems this would be rather ideal for underwater submarines, where seawater is already ionized, and spinning of the wheels should cause the submarine to move forward or backward in the water.

The standard way of electrical propulsion in water seems to just be a simplified understanding the right hand rule with an electric generator, but in water. i.e. put a magnetic field and electric field around water, generate current, and the water will flow a particular direction (doesn't sound efficient, which it isn't from what I've heard).

Does this make sense? I've become obsessed with trying to take my electrical engineering/physics knowledge to create some better way of using energy. I'd appreciate feedback, even if this is really stupid.

warryer

Local time
-->
I'm not to sure what it is you are trying to describe...

However, the right hand rule is a physical representation of the cross product which, I am sure, you are aware. I don't remember exactly how current and magnetic flux interact with one another, I can tell you the typical mechanical cross product is torque. Force x Direction = Torque.

Air changing direction in the scenario you describe is an actual physical event. The air changing direction does not cause torque. It's the force imparted along the radius of the discs that create the torque.

Air resistance is not an energy source but, I think I get what you mean. Air resistance is a means to transmit mechanical energy. And its a very poor way to transmit energy but, I agree that if there is nothing else available; use what you got.

I can only imagine the kind of power it would take to generate a magnetic field large enough to move a submarine through water.

I had a similar thought about building heated roads so you wouldn't have to worry about snow plows or ice forming. I figured out that the amount of energy to melt snow to water would take an extreme amount of energy. Snow plows are orders of magnitude more efficient.

I imagine this would be the same story between a mechanically propelled submarine vs an electrically propelled one. Still a very interesting thought!

Its simply easier and more efficient to use brute force.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
I'm not to sure what it is you are trying to describe...

Yeah, I mean. It's kind of hard to explain. If you don't want to read this, I'm not going to care, but since I started this:

If you put a voltage across a wire, current flows from one end to the other. But since in 3-dimensions we know the electrons have to flow not only from one end to another, but also spin around another axis, we end up with a spiral, aka right hand rule.

for sake of clarity:
thumb is current direction and the fingers are the direction that the electrons spiral around when flowing in that direction.
220px-Right-hand_grip_rule.svg.png

What I think is happening is this: the magnetic field that is a result of that spiral is really just the wave oscillating of the electrons against other matter in three dimensions. The electrons have a higher energy state than they did before; so basically they are causing higher friction against other matter around it. You could equate the resistance between the electrons as a magnetic field and analogous to rotating gears against each other.

For instance, a transformer might be represented by the following:
transformerg.png

Using the right hand rule above on the current we can see that they reinforce each other in the red wire on both sides; imagining the magnetic field as gears rotating as the current flows makes sense.
BUT the magnetic field that is generated is also in three dimensions; it also follows the right hand rule, which happens to reinforce the direction of the current on the other side of the transformer. It has another gear rotating in another dimension.

So you get something like this:
gearsd.png

The other right hand rule that involves electromagnetism is this same idea but oversimplified, imo, with the cross product between the two that doesn't attempt to explain what's really going on.

Basically, what I believe the Tesla generator is doing is the following:
In electric circuits, when current flows we have this spiral of electrons (right hand rule). When we spin a disc we get the same flow of electrons, except that it's due to the motion of the disc and not an electric potential. So we generate a magnetic field that spirals around that disc through the center.

It's the same as taking a wire with current flowing in it and putting that wire into a full circle (and applying the right hand rule). In magnetism, the north pole flows to the south and we generate a magnetic field in a perpendicular axis (or the rotating axis for the spinning wheel). By putting holes in the center of the disc you are effectively giving the spiral of matter something to pass through, which due to newton's third law, would cause the disc to move along that perpendicular axis if it were not fixed against such movement.

I can apply these same double right hand rule principles to electric generators with electromagnetism and so far have never misunderstand what is going on. In fact, I think it is misleading to say that electricity is different than magnetism; they seem to be the same things, just in different planes; and they seem to be directly related as a result. And I'm pretty sure Physics doesn't at all disagree on their similarities, although it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

Its simply easier and more efficient to use brute force.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Today 2:06 PM
-->

*raises hand*

As far as I can tell these days, I'm INTP at heart, but switch rapidly to INTJ when confronted with a bunch of stuff that needs to Get Done Right Now. Or when dealing with random people, if they're waffling on about random crud.

etherium

Type 4
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
Ok, so the best description of this I've seen is that INTP/J's don't REALLY exist. It's just another thing that INTP's try to systematize/optimize/break down into further subcategories to explain anomalies. INTJ's will admit readily to being such critters; INTP's can't ever make up their mind. :)

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Ok, so the best description of this I've seen is that INTP/J's don't REALLY exist. It's just another thing that INTP's try to systematize/optimize/break down into further subcategories to explain anomalies. INTJ's will admit readily to being such critters; INTP's can't ever make up their mind. :)

Heh. If someone is perceived by you as having a roughly equal balance of both, would you need an answer? You can drive yourself bonkers with typology. :storks:
:)

Paintzee

Banned
Local time
-->
INTP engineer is almost an oxymoron, engineers tend to be INTJ's, INTP's scientists.

Top Bottom