• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Careerswitch towards Craftsmanship?

Keep on Thinking

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:38 AM
-->
Dear fellow intp's. I am 33 years old. And I have had the following careerpath:

BSc Environmental Science gratuaded in 2005

Accountmanager (Recruiting, headhunting people business) 2006 (horrible)

Environmental technician ( taking soil and water samples) (engineering agency) 2007 (nice but simple)

Projectleader Soil investigation (organising soil investigation projects, planning and directing environmental technicians en giving instructions to laboratoria and writing reports and also responsible for the budgets.
2008 – 2010 (nice working for the municipality)

Claims Adjuster (Environmental) damages 2011 (to stressfull, hate insurance companies and the driving, the laptop, the cellphone and the suit)

Planning Engineer Planning Geotechnical investigation projects for contractor 2012 – 2014 (nice but sometimes too much planning and organising).

It's only a year now since I discovered that I am an intp. The problem with all these jobs is I think, the organising and planning part. But that's the problem with allmost all Bachelors and Masters degree jobs: You will become a Project leader. And a Project leader isn't focussed on deep analysing stuff (our expertise) all about planning and organising.

Programming, I have thought about it but it might be too much about details, I think it's not my thing and if it was my thing I would already have done it.

What might be an option is a craftsman ''career'' it's focusing on one thing and it have to be very precise/deep:

What about pipefitting? It looks very nice, it's like an art, just focus on one thing, easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTeK5FM0cts

What are your thoughts one switching towards a Craftman's 'career' ?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 9:38 PM
-->
I think you should keep on thinking. You're confused on a number of things.

It's only a year now since I discovered that I am an intp ... Programming, I have thought about it but it might be too much about details, I think it's not my thing and if it was my thing I would already have done it ... What might be an option is a craftsman ''career'' ... What about pipefitting? It looks very nice

Keep on Thinking

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Also my typing skills, I am not a fast typer. I wasn't very good in maths. Algoritms are also not my thing. :)

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 8:38 PM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
"It's a trap!"- Your Profile Picture. Haha.

Don't know till you try? You might not have to switch careers to try pipefitting. You might be able to try out a lot of craftsmen's work as hobbies.

AquaTron

Local time
Yesterday 10:38 PM
-->
What about the automotive field? Cars are comprised of several systems, so when something goes wrong if you are good at analyzing you find and fix the problem. Must be skilled mechanically for the most part.

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
Don't second guess yourself and time is finite on this tiny rock we spin on.

Pipefitting grabs your interest?! Go for it! Find a way to learn the trade, become an apprentice somewhere, do it, do it yesterday.

Figured out 6 months from now after you've learned how to play with pipes that you don't like it, no harm no foul! You've gained experience and best of all, you actually did something (INTPs are notorious for sitting on their asses thinking about a trillion things they could do, knowing they'd be the best at it, but hardly ever getting up and actually doing it).

Then there's the part about how average people will make 7-9 career changes in their lifetime, I'm sure INTPs are on par with that or even more, since we love learning about anything and everything, increasing our ever broadening horizons, learning more in depth knowledge in fields that grab our little monkey brains attention.

Good luck out there, and feel free to speak your mind/thoughts here, as a whole we can be pretty good and insightful for completing your thoughts and pushing you with boundless help.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:38 PM
-->
A lot of pipefitting seems to be unionized. Just noting.

Do I understand you were an adjuster working for insurance companies? There's the other side of that coin. I'm in a good spot, licensed public adjuster, working as an independent contractor for a company that only requires me to find claims and do the initial validation of them. Someone else does all the fussy detail work and our second tier, highly trained field adjusters, takes on the insurance companies. If they don't prevail our lawyers take them to court, and we succeed more than 90 percent of the time. I have fun identifying claims - observation, analysis, talking to homeowners, analyzing the insurance policy. I enjoy being part of a process that makes weaseling insurance companies pay what they should pay, and I do enjoy my 10 percent of the insurance company payout, even though I don't need the extra income any more.

Keep on Thinking

Redshirt
Local time
-->
@ Aquatron, Automotive is not that stabile sector, I would go for oil and gas or other machinebuilders. Car sales plummet dramaticly here in the Netherlands.

@Nick, Thanks thinking can be dangerous, I think Intp's are capable of exhausting their central nervous system. Keep healthy by doing some sport and indeed doing something instead of thinking about something.

@Editor One, Yes I was an adjuster at an adjusting agency where most customers where insurance companies. Public adjuster, okay I didn't knew that that occupation existed. I knew there is a vocation which is called contra expertise/adjuster where the insured party can have a more independent adjuster.

But the main problem with being an adjuster was that it was not deep/analytical enough, for an avarage investigation you where getting only 2 or 3 hours otherwise the invoice would become too high.

That's the problem with most companies quantity vs quality. In most companies the productionrate is more important than the quality of the product. An exception on this rule might be the prodution of real (high tech) products (pipefitting included :))

Top Bottom