• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Censorship and Kormak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inexorable Username

Local time
Today 1:31 AM
-->
@Adaire , @redbaron
For those of you that don’t know the story, Kormak’s account started acting up so he made another one. He then reported that his new account was banned (you’re not allowed to have two) and that one of the messages he posted (I believe from the old account?) was removed.

None of the mods have spoken about this issue.

In any case, it really does seem like Kormak’s account was handled this way potentially due to the opinions he was posting. I’m not into this kind of censorship, and I was really hoping that the INTP forums were a place where we could speak our minds. If speaking your mind isn’t allowed here...I think we’d like to know about that. I, for one, would like to know about that, because I’m not about to spend a lot of time on a forum that inhibits freedom of speech.

I don’t come here so that I can have a bunch of people agree with me or tell me what I already know. Freedom of speech is critical to self-improvement. We can’t be corrected if we can’t voice our opinions, and people who are not allowed to voice controversial opinions simply become more strongly opinionated in the absence of contradicting information. My philosophy is that this leads to civil unrest and increased populations of racist gangs and hate groups.

Repression of speech is not something I stand behind, so I’m interested to hear the reasons behind the removal of Kormak’s post. I feel like, if we’re going to actively be governed by people, we should know where we stand.

Does anyone else in the community agree on this stance? Can we get more transparency? I wouldn’t want to think that my account is going to be alienated due to my beliefs - especially out of the blue, without proper information/accountability.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 5:31 AM
-->
What a coincidence, I just read the thread 2 minutes ago. I entirely agree, this worries me and I don't like the thought of investing my time into a website where I can be subjugated to stringent rules, that is likely why we all came here after all. Exploration. The feeling of this form is an anarchist collective bundling together any half-strung ideas that each individual haphazardly expresses.

Haven't seen you in what's felt like forever, welcome back!

I would've went to reddit if the rate of the ban-hammer was significant.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 12:31 AM
-->
Ive been here for a while, I would say about half the user base has been banned, if not more. I dont pay attention to the drama that typically gets people banned.
I would say kormak left due to the website running poorly for him, not sure how a second account would help...
Arguing with mods is a sure fire way to get banned, dont pick fights with people who would make your life harder, ignore them.
the most common people banned are the most active, and argumentative... some for the better, some not so

If its found that the mods are evil cunts, just make a discord and invite everyone.
Ive never had any problems with anyone on intpf
Ive used this forum off and on for nearly 6 years and I dont actually know who the mods are, so they cant be too cunty.
Also what serac said

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
as mods can probably attest to, I've brought this kind of stuff up many times before. I've pointed out that certain political opinions get more scrutiny than others. But that's fine though. In the end, as long you state your case with some tact and reason, you can have pretty extreme opinions here without gettin banned, and people here confront opposing opinions in a far more reasonable way than you can expect most other places. Kormak case was pretty straight forward; if you make duplicated accounts you get deleted. It would happen regardless of what he wrote.

coming from someone who's had a lot of unpopular opinions here, I would say all bans I have seen were justified

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:31 AM
-->
Whenever people talk about freedom of speech or wanting to improve by hearing controversial opinions, it's usually an excuse to seek comforting opinions banned elsewhere. I've never really seen a person fighting for freedom of speech and wanting controversial to be ok, being open and listening to opinions they don't agree with. They label opinions they disagree with as politically correct, dishonest, irrational and so forth. Anything they disagree with is obviously an opinion of PK or some other delusion.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Whenever people talk about freedom of speech or wanting to improve by hearing controversial opinions, it's usually an excuse to seek comforting opinions banned elsewhere. I've never really seen a person fighting for freedom of speech and wanting controversial to be ok, being open and listening to opinions they don't agree with. They label opinions they disagree with as politically correct, dishonest, irrational and so forth. Anything they disagree with is obviously an opinion of PK or some other delusion.

It's natural for one to seek a place where their opinions are free, and naturally we seek an environment that reinforces our opinions. That comfort applies to everyone who has ever expressed an opinion among like-minded individuals. We all probably feel slightly more comfortable expressing opinions on here instead of other places, right? Precisely the same reasoning. Not that they may be banned per se, but definite vehement opposition.

I've always wanted controversial opinions, not because I like when someone disagrees with me (which prefaces any evocative debate really) but because I hate the prospect of having a limited understanding. My dislike for limited understanding trumps my the rather basic comfortable delusion to be right . Controversies are the best vector for individual growth: There are so much sheltered people that've barely explored beyond their comfort zone. You can see this in people's reactions when they see a "bad" guy or don't like another because without being able to explain it. Exposure to the supposed worst of humanity is humanizing, censoring content is just preserving the weak foundation that people preserve an opinion on. It's an insult to the individual really, it's censoring them from critically analyzing any point. When people lack the ability to criticize all they can do is repeat what others are saying, defaulting on the same opinion the 20 or so people prior expressed in opposition to the "controversial" opinion.

There is nothing to fear from controversy if you think for yourself. There is everything to lose if you can't think for yourself through censored arguments. Out of all the places I would say the INTP personality type is the least susceptible to brainwashing, so it's not like we're protected innocent individuals from a malevolent beings vested interest in tyranny.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Kormak's second account was banned because it was his second accout. Fine. I wish I knew what post of his was removed, though, and why.

I would really appreciate it if some mod contacted Kormak and made an attempt at resolving the issue.

@Minuend You aren't saying everyone supporting freedom of speech are bigots, right?

Rebis

Local time
-->
Surely kormak would've removed his other account if he was messaged about duplicacy?
What's the overhead here?

I might have to take a hiatus.
Contact details:
Email: RebisAl@protonmail.com
Discord: Aion#0210

A tribute to all that fates are decided by others (You can invert you and I posessives at your will) :

I see an angel shining bright
you see a devil taking flight
I see a butterfly
but you see the horror in my eye
I cannot run; I cannot hide
for you are the terror I feel inside
you know my hopes you know my dreams
you know every little thing
about my life about my mind
you know that I am kind
but with you here
all my biggest fears are near
you thrive for power you live off fear
and just when I think my saviors here
you crush my hopes
you burn my dreams
so that all there's left to see
are the ashes of my lost dreams
and with that look of terror I cry
and for that
you are satisfied...
until next time

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
What does "what's the overhead" mean? And come on, man... Let's figure out what's going on before we strike. If something's fishy, we'll do it together.

Im pretty sure this is what happened. Kormak was pissed about a post of his being deleted. He tried to make a new account because his old one was slow. Somehow that fixed his problem, but the account was deleted. Kormak thought that was unreasonable, and in his frustration he suggested that the mods might be out to get him.

I'm sure this could all be fixed if a mod reached out to Kormak and offered to delete his old account so he can make a new one. I figure they might be too proud for that, though, since they strictly speaking haven't done anything wrong. I don't think Kormak will come back if he isn't thrown a bone, though.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Overhead as in the regimented rules that mods have to follow, and admins have to enforce, and usage agreements between taptalk and intpforum. If the main admin had overhead he is effectively powerless in some areas.

Sure, I just like to decide my own future is all. I also just got heavily paranoid thinking of a lot of stuff that happened.

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Surely kormak would've removed his other account if he was messaged about duplicacy?
What's the overhead here?

Surely kormak would've removed his other account if he was messaged about a duplicate account?

A tribute to all that fates are decided by others (You can invert you and I posessives at your will) :

I see an angel shining bright
you see a devil taking flight
I see a butterfly
but you see the horror in my eye
I cannot run; I cannot hide
for you are the terror I feel inside
you know my hopes you know my dreams
you know every little thing
about my life about my mind
you know that I am kind
but with you here
all my biggest fears are near
you thrive for power you live off fear
and just when I think my saviors here
you crush my hopes
you burn my dreams
so that all there's left to see
are the ashes of my lost dreams
and with that look of terror I cry
and for that
you are satisfied...
until next time

God bless, friend. Fighting that good fight. Damn, the American spirit really gets a tear in my eye. You gotta fight those in the power, after all we live in a society

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have it on good authority, mods are on the Kremlin payroll.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Nothing happened just thinking.

Rebis

Local time
-->
What does "what's the overhead" mean? And come on, man... Let's figure out what's going on before we strike. If something's fishy, we'll do it together.

Im pretty sure this is what happened. Kormak was pissed about a post of his being deleted. He tried to make a new account because his old one was slow. Somehow that fixed his problem, but the account was deleted. Kormak thought that was unreasonable, and in his frustration he suggested that the mods might be out to get him.

I'm sure this could all be fixed if a mod reached out to Kormak and offered to delete his old account so he can make a new one. I figure they might be too proud for that, though, since they strictly speaking haven't done anything wrong. I don't think Kormak will come back if he isn't thrown a bone, though.

It just depends on his reasons for leaving. He could've been very rash and just decided to leave when he wasn't immediately seen to or felt there was opposition to his thoughts producing paranoia, or he left because mods couldn't be bothered with him and sticking to the rules to validate the judgement.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Pretty sure only one post of his was removed, and Ive no idea what that contained. Could anyone share?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

It's natural for one to seek a place where their opinions are free, and naturally we seek an environment that reinforces our opinions. That comfort applies to everyone who has ever expressed an opinion among like-minded individuals. We all probably feel slightly more comfortable expressing opinions on here instead of other places, right? Precisely the same reasoning. Not that they may be banned per se, but definite vehement opposition.

I've always wanted controversial opinions, not because I like when someone disagrees with me (which prefaces any evocative debate really) but because I hate the prospect of having a limited understanding. My dislike for limited understanding trumps my the rather basic comfortable delusion to be right . Controversies are the best vector for individual growth: There are so much sheltered people that've barely explored beyond their comfort zone. You can see this in people's reactions when they see a "bad" guy or don't like another because without being able to explain it. Exposure to the supposed worst of humanity is humanizing, censoring content is just preserving the weak foundation that people preserve an opinion on. It's an insult to the individual really, it's censoring them from critically analyzing any point. When people lack the ability to criticize all they can do is repeat what others are saying, defaulting on the same opinion the 20 or so people prior expressed in opposition to the "controversial" opinion.

There is nothing to fear from controversy if you think for yourself. There is everything to lose if you can't think for yourself through censored arguments. Out of all the places I would say the INTP personality type is the least susceptible to brainwashing, so it's not like we're protected innocent individuals from a malevolent beings vested interest in tyranny.

That is assuming you need controversy to improve your thinking, assuming you need stark contrast to your reality to gain an understanding. Controversies in themselves are not automatically good vectors for growth. Being taught a better way to think is a good vector for growth, and that does not necessarily require extreme difference to your world view. You can stare your opposite in the eyes without changing, if you are not given the tools for understanding it.

There is something to be learned from observing people in the extremes, yes. Do we want intpforum to be the extreme we observe? There is learning from the extreme, and there is being consumed by it.

Regardless, in the end it's about what type of environment we want the forum to be. Sure, we can be no-censor-open to anything forum, but that just means people will be able to be spiteful, post their hatred and frustrations. No- cencor forums is nice on papers, but they do not take into consideration the human nature which can be spiteful and often exploitative of environments that have no boundaries. You underestimate the trolls, the hate, the spite.

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If your perusal of an online platform is interrupted by unexplained technical difficulties it's perfectly reasonable to assume you are being cEnS0rEd and rage quit the aforementioned online platform. But to make it more interesting to the onlookers you must claim your post, which is in a bit of a Shroedinger box situation at the moment was deleted.

Rebis

Local time
-->

That is assuming you need controversy to improve your thinking, assuming you need stark contrast to your reality to gain an understanding. Controversies in themselves are not automatically good vectors for growth. Being taught a better way to think is a good vector for growth, and that does not necessarily require extreme difference to your world view. You can stare your opposite in the eyes without changing, if you are not given the tools for understanding it.

There is something to be learned from observing people in the extremes, yes. Do we want intpforum to be the extreme we observe? There is learning from the extreme, and there is being consumed by it.

Regardless, in the end it's about what type of environment we want the forum to be. Sure, we can be no-censor-open to anything forum, but that just means people will be able to be spiteful, post their hatred and frustrations. No- cencor forums is nice on papers, but they do not take into consideration the human nature which can be spiteful and often exploitative of environments that have no boundaries. You underestimate the trolls, the hate, the spite.

You need opinions that oppose your own to come to a balanced understanding. Yes, that's part in parcel to reaching understanding. People that discuss controversial opinions open up an understanding about a topic that's not easily presented in a normal environment.

"Being taught in a better way" How can one teach the importance of an opinion/moral principle without explaining the contrary? Dualities emphasize and validate belief systems. What is the purpose of good without being the antithesis of bad? How do we know God is good without understanding Satan? Stuff like that.

Ultimately this is a small community so I doubt anything extreme would emerge, and propegate to take over the minds of the diverse squad we have here. I don't think I've seen an opinion to date where everyone has universally agreed and called it a day. I think this forum is pretty environmentless, I mean what I understand the basic environment of this forum to be is one of ideas that are not commonly expressed outside of the forum, or acknowledged/interpreted in real life or other forms. I do not see it as a culture that is to be maintained, this is done automatically through the personality type people have conducted along with their curiousity that ultimately brought them here.

I just think this is a relatively self-manageable group to which censorship isn't entirely necessary. I think we have 25 active members or so, with less active members joining infrequently. It is not a crazy management overhead by any accounts, this is expected in large forums where stringent rules are set to avoid situational evaluation of each interaction. You can learn through people's spite, as for intentional trolls I'd give them a ban hammer if their intent is solely to annoy others, at the loss of straightforward conversation. As for hate I am not one to adapt the hate through other people's worldview, I do try to understand their hate because hateful people aren't entirely different from the ones who like/love.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:31 PM
-->
Ultimately this is a small community so I doubt anything extreme would emerge

if only this were true

we've had people try to use this forum as a cult recruiting ground

as well as people trying to find people's irl locations

or harassing female members

or some combination of all 3 of these. there have been multiple requests for deleted accounts because people feared they were at risk of being physically harmed if someone used information here to find them irl.

a community being small doesn't inoculate it against extremes of thought or behaviour.

Rebis

Local time
-->
That's quite cool regardless of the adverse situations. That is a story.

Small combined with diverse personalities does prevent extreme socialised behaviour, disparate radicals don't quite compare to organised ones.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
yes, it's been tried though

and becomes more and more likely the longer that disparate radicals exist.

moreover, 'disparate radicals' in the past have made this place very stressful and unsavoury for minorities to frequent. no one wants to frequent a forum where they're routinely likened to being, 'mentally ill' or their existence as, 'unfortunate'

regardless of whether they become organised extremists, they're not a presence that encourages 'open minded' discussion in the first place.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Any chance you'd contact Kormak and say you'll delete his account, so he can make a new one, redbaron?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
what I'm curious about is how does this forum state in terms and rules that it complies with GDPR yet also states users cannot request their account to be deleted

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
If I ever need a lawyer, I'll call Serac. If Kormak can delete his account, that solves everything, cept bruised egos.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
what I'm curious about is how does this forum state in terms and rules that it complies with GDPR yet also states users cannot request their account to be deleted

probably in the old rules

ragnar made an update whereby people can request their account be deleted

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Could you mail Kormak, then, offering to delete his account so he can make a new? I get that he's overreacted, but it would be nice to have him back.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:31 PM
-->
Kormak and I shared many views. Such as Nietzche. Knowing what happened would be nice.

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->
Kormak and I shared many views. Such as Nietzche. Knowing what happened would be nice.

From what I can tell, Kormak’s views about Neitzche on one of the forums got too heated and appeared to offend Adaire and some others. I didn’t read too much of it because Kormak’s responses can turn into thought spaghetti on the quick.

Shortly after that his account started acting up and he posted about this on a post “Is this website run by a toaster” or something like that. His username essentially became unusable. He was speculating about how his recent stance on Nietzsche (not mentioned by name in the post, but understood to be the issue), might have caused backflack. I laughed about it and said the people here wouldn’t censor him like that...

He made a new username and posted on this toaster post telling us all that he was Kormak under a new username, because his old username was dysfunctional to the point of being unreasonable to use - a complaint that had gone unaddressed.

But after this new username was created, it was banned. Kormak then discovered one of his posts had been deleted.

So basically, some mod cared enough to delete his new account, and a post of his - but not to discuss or address the issue of his original account. And it would seem that they really didn’t care to explain themselves, or discuss the decision that they made with this community.

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->
Now what we’re hearing from @redbaron is that this is understood and accepted behavior on behalf of the mods that run this website.

Apparently - people can’t share racist ideologies, or sexist ideologies, or anything off color if it might hurt someone’s feelings. We need to be sheltered from anything potentially offensive, because we’re not able to emotionally cope with the fact that some people out there have skewed beliefs. Worse - we’re not allowed to hear those beliefs, and correct them.

Instead, we’re supposed to pretend that racism, sexism, and things like genetic supremacy just don’t exist and aren’t real. And live in that wonderful little world, because it’s fluffy and colorful there.

I agree with everything pretty much everything @Rebis has said - and frankly, I’m disgusted and appalled.

This makes me more inspired than ever to launch my own forum where freedom of speech is required and forum content quality is managed by varying tests of logic and knowledge - not of ideology.

This is disgusting. I thought this was a platform where I had some freedom to actually speak my mind. I thought I had “found my people”. I thought we could actually speak our mind here and get the opportunity to really see inside human heads and understand what people really believe - and challenge it, and have ourselves challenged - and learn, and grow.

But this whole experience has just been a massive waste of my time. I wonder how many people have actually come here that have had useful information to share and the desire to share it, and have been shut down because they happened to get mixed up with a non-liberal, non pussyfooting ideology - however briefly - and been demonized for daring to have the wrong thoughts.

Screw that.

Before I get banned - I’d really appreciate it if someone had the courtesy to remove what I wrote on this platform. The fact that I can’t figure out how to delete my own content here is frankly unnerving.

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Maybe the mods are just genetically superior Russian sockpuppets and you should not argue with them lmao

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->
zero chill

What does that mean? That’s not a sentence.

Anyways if your stance is that I’m being too reactive - well, I don’t think so. There’s very few things I choose to care about. Censorship on this internet is something I care very deeply about, and frankly, I find it distasteful that so many people pull out the stoner mentality of “nothing matters why not just watch cat videos” when the issue of censorship and privacy comes up.

These are major issues, and the internet is the final frontier in that regard, from where I’m standing. I refuse to be chill about my freedom. When someone is controlling me, I feel that I have a right to speak out about it.

Manipulating the content I’m allowed to see and controlling what I’m allowed to say, by proxy, is a method of brainwashing what thoughts I’m allowed to have and what ideas I’m allowed to discuss.

I don’t tolerate being dominated by power tripping people.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
i was actually just responding to the idea that 'extremism can't occur here'

but yes, overt racism, sexism or other comparable sentiments will result in a ban here.

just like most places really?

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->
Maybe the mods are just genetically superior Russian sockpuppets and you should not argue with them lmao

I find it hard to believe that a Russian would censor content that is deemed not “PC”.

I will probably make a post about why censorship increases involvement in hate crimes and racism...and let that conclude my public interaction here on this forum.

Maybe it will help to sway some minds. But I doubt it. At the end of the day - censorship is really more about power and control than it is about fairness and equality.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
not really relevant to this topic but, an outdated commitment to 'fairness' as opposed to actual truth is just naive imo

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->

I find it hard to believe that a Russian would censor content that is deemed not “PC”.

I will probably make a post about why censorship increases involvement in hate crimes and racism...and let that conclude my public interaction here on this forum.

Maybe it will help to sway some minds. But I doubt it. At the end of the day - censorship is really more about power and control than it is about fairness and equality.

But, lets say there is a genetically superior group of people in charge. Would it be acceptable for them to "power trip" and dominate others? This is hypothetical.

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->

but yes, overt racism, sexism or other comparable sentiments will result in a ban here.

Like most institutions. Anyways I need to actually do a diagram and a proper post to express why I believe censorship causes more racism and sexism, and similar. It’s not something I can just post in a sentence or two.

Anyways...I did actually expect a forum not to be censored in that way. Since there’s only like - 15 active people in this community, I was fairly sure that we were all on the same page and had an understanding of each other.

From what I could see, Kormak was trying to express reasoning behind a philosophy he believed in.

It’s not like he’s dancing around trolling people like this other person “Angel”, who wants to post a very bigoted bald eagle with blonde hair that suggests that Americans believe that the USA is synonymous with freedom.

I could get upset at the fact that I have no idea who this person is - but they choose to pop up here in my thread and make fun of my philosophy on freedom of speech, posting an ethnically white eagle with blonde hair - obviously a girl eagle - wearing some gaudy sexist crown, and parroting nonsense about freedom.

Honestly, it does momentarily piss me off, which is obviously the point - but I’m an adult and I can handle people taking jabs at my race, gender, and nationality. I don’t need you to protect me from this troll.

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->

But, lets say there is a genetically superior group of people in charge. Would it be acceptable for them to "power trip" and dominate others? This is hypothetical.

I don’t know who you are. I’m guessing you’re a troll.

Rebis

Local time
-->

Why contrary a stance with hypotheticals when the situation is quite measurable in a forum with small membership?

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->

I don’t know who you are. I’m guessing you’re a troll.

I'm guessing you don't like the implication of your own statements.

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Why contrary a stance with hypotheticals when the situation is quite measurable in a forum with small membership?

Because hypotheticals are interesting. How would you measure it?

Rebis

Local time
-->
I wouldn't weigh hypotheticals to observable impact on a forum with a small membership.

Inexorable Username

Local time
-->

Do you know this person Rebis? I’m suspecting they are potentially someone with a different main account, because I definitely don’t know them but they seem to have pretty solid opinions on me. The only person I can think of this being is adaire. I don’t really have anyone here who overtly dislikes me, that I’m aware of, expect for that user - and she had issues with Kormak’s discussion from what I saw of my speed reading.

Angel

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Like most institutions. Anyways I need to actually do a diagram and a proper post to express why I believe censorship causes more racism and sexism, and similar. It’s not something I can just post in a sentence or two.

Anyways...I did actually expect a forum not to be censored in that way. Since there’s only like - 15 active people in this community, I was fairly sure that we were all on the same page and had an understanding of each other.

From what I could see, Kormak was trying to express reasoning behind a philosophy he believed in.

It’s not like he’s dancing around trolling people like this other person “Angel”, who wants to post a very bigoted bald eagle with blonde hair that suggests that Americans believe that the USA is synonymous with freedom.

I could get upset at the fact that I have no idea who this person is - but they choose to pop up here in my thread and make fun of my philosophy on freedom of speech, posting an ethnically white eagle with blonde hair - obviously a girl ego - wearing some gaudy sexist crown, and parroting nonsense about freedom.

Honestly, it does momentarily piss me off, which is obviously the point - but I’m an adult and I can handle people taking jabs at my race, gender, and nationality. I don’t need you to protect me from this troll.

I don't know what your race and gender is. But I do find than Americans in general have this quite frankly naive idea that freedom of speech is super important and that they have all this spunk about it.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
@Inexorable Username the idea that racism increases when you deplatform it is one i'm familiar with, and it's a dud

stopping the spread of certain types of information make it harder for that information to spread.

people don't become more educated when you stop educating them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom