• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Chess

Local time
Today 6:44 AM
-->
Hi,
Anyone interested in chess? I have been playing it for 3 months now and i am really hooked. I have watched all documentaries about Bobby Fischer (anti-social INTJ). Feel sad and also amazed the way he went through life. Anyone can recommend good chess books?

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Hmmm yes fischer had quite an interesting life.

Was an avid chess player for a few years, have grown somewhat disinterested in it though.
Occasionally play for the heck of it, but my play has deteriorated with disuse.

1001 Deadly checkmates- John Nunn
The Giant Chess Puzzle book- Zenon Franco

These arent theoretical books, but books like them are good for training tactics.
You can study opening and endgame theory and have good knowledge of positional strategy, but in the end a quick recognition of viable tactics is essential in competitive play.

If you can quickly identify all tactics in a position, you can focus more time on position and long term maneuvers.

EDIT: Oh yes, a program called Fritz is quite good, gives you a wide database of games dating from the first chess games ever recored. Also has other features, but that the former one is decent enough.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:44 AM
-->
Chess is nice I used to play, currently Go holds more interest as a hobby/relax game.

You don't need books about chess, unless you like to read for entertainment.

What is needed for any game or self-contained goal is the self-correcting algorithm of action, followed by exploration of possibilities in a leisurely (fun) fashion, so that you can be disciplined when competing and still enjoy what you do when improving and learning.

Practice, but not too much so that you don't develop bad habits and counter optimal strategies, analyse your games, understand what could be done better, so that every game is a learning experience.

Here is a nice "bookish" basic resource about optimising your methods for learning and practice in a competitive setting.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:44 PM
-->
Hi,
Anyone interested in chess? I have been playing it for 3 months now and i am really hooked. I have watched all documentaries about Bobby Fischer (anti-social INTJ). Feel sad and also amazed the way he went through life. Anyone can recommend good chess books?
Register on Chess.com and we will play a few games. The website is hard to navigate at first. Here is my profile:

http://www.chess.com/members/view/AbelDean

YOLOisonlyprinciple

Local time
Today 9:14 AM
-->
You can find Chessmaster Grandmaster edition on piratebay, i bought one 10 years ago and the software is basically the same, so even an old one is good enough imo.

After you complete all its tutorials, download pgn tutorials from
http://www.angelfire.com/games3/smartbridge/
and work it through by running it in chessmaster

Then watch the chess games on youtube, dont really go for world champion games that much, watch 2-3 just to get the feel of the pro-scene, and focus on video explanations by sites like chess network etc, and there are also good vids by the people who upload the springfield cup..

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Hmmm, recently re-entered the world of this frivolous sport.

https://en.lichess.org/

I highly recommend this site for playing, it also has darker theme option which the internet for some reason does not employ as default, choosing to scorch our eyes whilst absorbing our souls.

Also, the world championship between Carlsen and Karjakin commences on the morn...

Top Bottom