• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Crappy bestsellers I have read until now

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 6:39 PM
-->
Gone Girl - Extremely bad. Completed it because I find it annoying to leave a book halfway. Was thoroughly disappointed

Girl In The Train - Another third-rate book about domestic abuse. Very bad and cliched. The movie was even worse.

The Silent Patient - Another poppycock of a book I picked up. The psychobabble was exacerbating because it gave no insight into the story for most part other than being glaringly obvious...about the obvious.

Monk Who Sold His Ferrari - Read it as a child and could not remember a single word. I was not impressed back then and when I think of it now, I think this is a very crappy book.

Another shitty book - About a woman who sounds like she's the one who had run over the kid and turns out it is her narcissistic boyfriend. Needless to say, this book was garbage in the name of psychological thriller.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Found it impressive but could not tolerate the patronizing and overly cheery tone of the author and the fact that this moron spent some 300-400 pages writing about cognitive biases in the most dumbed-down way possible and presented a mechanism in a very TED-talk charismatic manner. Surprise motherfucker! He trademarked the whole thing. I learned much more about timekeeping and good habits by simply going through a list of timekeeping methods (eg. GTD) and a master list of cognitive biases. As usual, the author is some kind of scammy life-coach. (Another thread coming up soon on my experience with life coaches)

Girl With All The Gifts - Okayish book. The plot and the world is not at all fleshed out. What's the worst thing in this book? The author tries very hard to sound like seasoned cyberpunk authors (Richard Morgan, Neal Stephenson, etc) and instead sounds like a 14 yo kid who's reading a dictionary. This book is clearly film material and not book material but for some reason this book is held as one of the greatest books among zombie apocalypse fiction books.

The Boy On The Bridge - Egregious. If the cheap gimmicky gewgaws in the first book were not enough, this book takes it to another level. The protagonist is a 15 yo savant and his dialogues and descriptions are genuinely worse than Sherlock's season 4. Here is an instance:
He supposes he loves her. Love is a word that people use about other people all the time, and Greaves has assembled a reason-ably clear idea of its many contradictory referents. For more than half of these referents, he can place a positive mark against Dr. Khan’s name in a polydimensional matrix that he has imagined. He knows, though, that the matrix does not accurately model what he feels for her. It only defines a logical space that she partially inhabits.

ohshtt

Local time
Today 9:09 PM
-->
heh. bestsellers these days are mostly crap. people like to read crap. hell, with the amount of time people spend on their phones, their short attention spans can't take anything that isn't instant gratification. (which is most books worth reading.)

Top Bottom