• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Download Thread New

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today 6:26 AM
-->
From now on, members --- and others including the banned and unregistered, cos why not ? --- can download a thread, or even their own entire content. or others' own entire content, by accessing the three little dots at the top of the thread etc. on the extreme right. :nazi:

You may have to experiment to find how to download all a person's content... I can't see it yet; but there's no point in delaying this wondrous news.

I was mainly looking for a way to download entire conversations, and this is not it; apparently, in the previous iteration of XenForo, before us, there was an add-on to Export Conversations, but it hasn't been made for XF2.

There is a paid add-on for Searching Conversations, but again not the same thing.

__inubashiri_momiji_konpaku_youmu_konpaku_youmu_and_shameimaru_aya_touhou_drawn_by_nekoita__b4...png

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
For a user, there is a "Download content" thing in the profile page

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
including the banned and unregistered
I really don’t think that’s a good idea. There should be at least some limits. In general I’m not exactly fond of anyone having the ability to download all a user’s posts.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
including the banned and unregistered
I really don’t think that’s a good idea. There should be at least some limits. In general I’m not exactly fond of anyone having the ability to download all a user’s posts.
It's not exactly difficult to just traverse through all the threads and download all of them if one wants. It's just a few lines of code. I did that for the wordcloud thread.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
not a fan really

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I can't see the difference between a guest viewer using this, or simply him using 'Save this Page' in his browser, or any of a dozen ways I can defeat impudent javascript attempts to stop me stealing content: really it's a lost battle, lost 20 years or more ago due to the nature of computing.

Anything that can be viewed can be taken. And no forum can forbid viewing to the profane.

And if one truly cares it is trivial to copy the entire website with HTTrack, or similar. All it costs are up to a few GB of space and the time it takes to run in the background.

@Serac

For a user, there is a "Download content" thing in the profile page

Thanks.

Deleted member 1424

You don't have to make it easier for them by putting the option to download content everywhere. I don't like it at all. It literally pop ups when you hover over a user's name.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Hmm. I'm suspending it, not because of the protests --- it shall return, but because of 365

Template error: Cannot call method isIgnoring on a non-object (NULL) src/XF/Template

errors in the last few minutes.

XenForo Devs maintain their sturdy unhelpfulness. But googling shows this add-on is the cause.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I would be very curious to hear what people are afraid of. All the posts here have always been visible to the whole world.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
uh there's forums that unregistered users can't see, and while banned users could hypothetically keep making accounts and trying to manually save stuff - enabling it in a single click is...enabling and encouraging doing so

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I kinda doubt unregistered guests would bother to download more than a thread since they can't see those hidden subs, and that it takes maybe 4 minutes to register as a member.

As for banned people it seems rather vindictive to cast them out of Paradise and then say: "You can't take your stuff.". Were I banned from anywhere I'd certainly want to have a record of my posts.

I remember an ancient, not forgotten, forum called Digg; there was an API for downloading all one's posts in a single ---- long --- page even in those dark times.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:26 PM
-->
But can I download Hado though?

Seriously speaking, can we have some opt in/opt out system as a compromise? Say User: Foo wants to have their posts downloadable while User: Eoo only allow registered users to have their content?

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Well, you'll have to await for them to issue an update before it is re-enabled...

Server Errors make Baby Ragnar cry.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:56 PM
-->
I'm very strongly against this, for my own reasons, as well as what I know of some other members and their preferences.

It being technically possible for people to look at your every single post was something every member has accepted when participating in the forum. However, I know that I certainly didn't choose to participate in a forum where someone deepdiving my entire post histrory was actively facilitated.

I don't need more reasons not to post. If this could be an option upon request that might be different, as Pyro says.

I'd just like to note that it's very strange that this issue is thus far partisan along the regular lines.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
But can I download Hado though?

Seriously speaking, can we have some opt in/opt out system as a compromise? Say User: Foo wants to have their posts downloadable while User: Eoo only allow registered users to have their content?
Yes, also add features so we can customize who can be allowed to download our posts: friends, family, people with a certain MBTI type, etc.

Basically we should be like a facebook for INTPs.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It being technically possible for people to look at your every single post was something every member has accepted when participating in the forum. However, I know that I certainly didn't choose to participate in a forum where someone deepdiving my entire post histrory was actively facilitated.
One can use the search feature on this site to deepdive into anyone's history. Downloading the threads to your local computer doesn't make that any easier.

Top Bottom