• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dwarf Fortress

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:13 AM
-->
This is one of a few games i enjoyed.
The idea is to ontologically generate a world, select a place and 7 dwarves that will be first citizens of your fortress. It's up to the player what he does next as there is no end-goal, one may choose to build a game breaking checkerboard.
Great deal of customisation with skill labours, fancy equipment (prepared elephant brains), indirect-mastermind like control.

What are your experiences?
I certainly developed hatred towards giant keas and elves. Keas are proficient burglars, naturally elves impose their restrictive ideas.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/

RobdoR

Local time
Today 12:13 PM
-->
I tried Dwarf Fortress once. It's just a bit too inaccessible for me. I'm really excited for Rimworld though. It has the spirit of dwarf fortress, but a little toned down. Also slaves. I mean, what self respecting white American can resist a good slave trade?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Interesting :), you sent me a simplified version of dwarf fortress with a friendlier user interface.

Don't forget that there is slavery in DF ;) .

It took me 1-2 months to get used to the interface, I don't play games now but if I would, I have DF and its unmatched world-gen, simulation + strategy and economy.

What DF-like games lack is multiplayer. I would enjoy playing on huge maps and everyone having his/her own fortress. Games would take 100s of hours but we don't play to win here.

Rimworld seems to have faster pace and some horde shooting, this is more action based I guess.

Oooh they took out manager position and put cheat engine inside?
In df there was a cheat engine that manages labour.

It was one of great features that you had to have a manager dwarf to manage jobs personally.

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
yp11jZD.jpg

I love this game! This is the only game I am into really. Is this not perfect for the INTP "architect" or what?

Extremely challenging and endless varying fun! You have to really have skill and knowledge to master this bad boy! I haven't played in awhile though, I had to stop because it was like heroin. I could play for 10 hours straight man. We could work on a map together perhaps someday. Have you ever tried that? One person starts the game, then you save it after a few years and then you upload the game save somewhere and I start building onto it and we trade back and forth.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I love this game! This is the only game I am into really. Is this not perfect for the INTP "architect" or what?

Extremely challenging and endless varying fun! You have to really have skill and knowledge to master this bad boy! I haven't played in awhile though, I had to stop because it was like heroin. I could play for 10 hours straight man. We could work on a map together perhaps someday. Have you ever tried that? One person starts the game, then you save it after a few years and then you upload the game save somewhere and I start building onto it and we trade back and forth.
A shared adventure, indeed I have heard. Do you know boatmurdered?
That one was unbeliveably hillarious, but in DF hillarious situations are common occurence.

Also this is what I could do with my free time and why I decided to take a break.

I would be eager to try something, as well as write some "captain logs" and describe what we achieved. I will have some free time this evening. Can I count you in? If we are ever to start, why not start now?

Once I tried playng DF on a remote desktop+shared screen with someone else but it was a technical failure.

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
Sure sure, excellent. I like the idea of documenting it for the benefit of the people here to see how amazing it is. I will have to download everything so you should go first and take the lead.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Right, I will try to contact you in 10 hours or so. I will make a mediafire account for uploading saves and maybe I will generate the first world and select a site, unless you want to be in charge of this fascinating element.

Do we play standard? Woodland, many minerals, safe. Or haunted glacier/Demon Fortress scenario? Maybe something in between?

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
Well aren't we both a little rusty? We should try a minimally safe adventure so we can demonstrate most of the features without dying extremely fast and getting stressed out. And yes I trust your embarking judgement, have at it.

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
Also If I can make a suggestion to make the game easier on our computers in the long run if we could edit out temperature and climate from the init settings? Ever done that before? Creates less calculations for the engine to be constantly doing and prevents the crawl when you've got a huge fortress.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Also If I can make a suggestion to make the game easier on our computers in the long run if we could edit out temperature and climate from the init settings? Ever done that before? Creates less calculations for the engine to be constantly doing and prevents the crawl when you've got a huge fortress.
Well yes, I was thinking of adding new metals for the workshops, so that we could forge platinum/gold weaponry etc.

Turning the weather off disables only the cosmetic aspects of the game, however turning the temperature off makes creatures able to walk past magma without burns etc. Which would prevent us from using it in some defensive scenarios.

I have usually played on the larger than normal maps with populations up to 500 dwarves and with 18-20 fps I didn't complain. If you have worse specs, we can turn it off, then magma becomes like water, also, currently it is a useless computation because the mechanics are not used in the game, besides few instances, so it could be better.

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
Okay just turn the weather off then, my specs are fine. I thought temperature was more intensive since it's got to calculate the temperature of every square, no?

New metals, cool. Not that it matters but what tile set do you usually play with?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Okay just turn the weather off then, my specs are fine. I thought temperature was more intensive since it's got to calculate the temperature of every square, no?

New metals, cool. Not that it matters but what tile set do you usually play with?
It does calculate the temp of every square, but it doesn't do much with the gameplay apart for setting things on fire/melting etc. Which is nice and useful but the mechanics behind it allow for much more, convection, entropy, etc.

I use phoebus when playing and stonesense for 3d visualisations to show to others.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 11:13 AM
-->
What a steep learning curve......
I will have to stock up on food and water, lock my door and leave the forum for a few weeks.

Damn you Blarr, distracting me like this during exams.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
What a steep learning curve......
I will have to stock up on food and water, lock my door and leave the forum for a few weeks.

Damn you Blarr, distracting me like this during exams.
I have my exams during this weekend, what do you think I was doing? Writing this thread after I returned from work and making all the fancy screenshots and failing at my roleplaying while giving in to the sleepiness.

It doesn't matter, the game is superb in a few categories, let's create something together.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
I have my exams during this weekend, what do you think I was doing? Writing this thread after I returned from work and making all the fancy screenshots and failing at my roleplaying while giving in to the sleepiness.

It doesn't matter, the game is superb in a few categories, let's create something together.

I......have.....to...resist....distraction..

Well, I'm going to jump right in with this, but I doubt I'll make any significant progress until next week.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
THIS GAME IS EPIC.

My crypts are filled to the brim.
All of my original dwarves lie dead.
Barely staved of the second goblin siege.

Swordbent has risen before, but will it do so again?
Will it's walls be spattered with dwarf blood, or engraved with our victories?

Insomnia, procrastination and FUN.

Budthestud

BAMF
Local time
Today 2:13 AM
-->
I recently thought about getting into DF. I watched that tut a couple weeks ago but I haven't started because the new update supposedly coming out in July.

I might start playing now but will my world save be compatable with the new version? Not really the place to ask I guess, but as of right now I am just going to wait.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Well, the new release is up.
A bit buggy, but still Fun.

The world now evolves as you keep playing, with births, deaths and war.
There has also been an overhual of social interactions in adventure mode, which is quite entertaining.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
List of improvements and changes from the previous version:
Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 Released

There are many improvements focused on the adventure mode, but I think the new plants, lore and invasions will become enjoyable.
The retire/unretire is a great option.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
i loved this game in highschool, i had a thumdrive with the whole game my mods and saves on it so i could play it at school. spent my entire youth building wacky contraptions like the erupting obsidion penis.

lightlazer

Seeker
Local time
Today 10:13 AM
-->
I played it a few months ago and really liked, with a user-friendlier interface that replaces ascii graphics. However it gets really frustrating after a couple hours when your dwarves die for various hard to avoid reasons.

Lately I have been playing gnomoria, which is kind of DF but much more accessible and nice graphics, albeit not as complex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgq3Nj_4q6E

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Gnomoria is like 15% dwarf fortress gameplay packed into high end graphical engine.

If players are satisfied with limited functionality, they can appreciate how much more time the author wastes to develop graphics and streamline instead of adding content.

It's the decades long lost war of complexity and freedom vs visual impressions and ease of having fun.

lightlazer

Seeker
Local time
Today 10:13 AM
-->
I agree Blarraun, but I would love to see DF with graphics and controls as clear as Gnomoria's. Maybe as an add-on, there are a few out there.

Top Bottom