• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Enneagram's relationship to Mbti

Jake54321

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:18 PM
-->
Often times the Enneagram is mixed with Mbti. Are they are compatible? Or are people mixing incompatible systems?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I view them as two completely independent systems.

MBTI maps the mind, whilst Enneagram maps the ego.

Somebody else just asked me "Isn't the ego part of the mind?"

I'm not done exploring all the answers to that question. 

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 9:18 AM
-->
If the human mind was able to be completely mapped I believe we'd find that each cog function setup has a limited range of enneatypes. I think right now inaccurate and ambiguous tests/descriptions can account for a large portion of current typings to where it seems they're independent.

To put it visually you could say mbti is the surface water of a pond and enneagram could be the pond floor which is more or less the same shape i.e. the same phenomenon.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
Today 12:18 PM
-->
I can never manage to fit into certain types anymore, be it Enneagram or MBTI.

I used to think I was INTP, but the appeal wore off as I dealt with my emotions. I think I might be Enneagram 3, but then I read another description and it said that 3s were numb to their emotions, which couldn't be more false. It's weird because I identify with the ambition and success oriented mindset.

Do any of you guys know a gods test that could help me sort this out?

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->

I used to think I was INTP, but the appeal wore off as I dealt with my emotions. I think I might be Enneagram 3, but then I read another description and it said that 3s were numb to their emotions, which couldn't be more false. It's weird because I identify with the ambition and success oriented mindset.

Obviously this isn't a test, but this is what I see:
ENFJ, enneagram 3, not sure on the main wing. Ni is present for sure (the sensing the future thing, plus the masking and mirroring aspects of the persona complex that is alias), and Ni>Se for sure, but also not Ni-dom/Se-inf. And no Napoleon; Your focus is first directed at self-control/recognition/improvement vs controlling others, so nix ENTJ. Fe-dom may seem unexpected given your thinking ability, but consider that male ENFJs would have different cultural influences underlying their expression and that your improved emotional awareness may be just that: improved recognition of what's already present, vs development of something that isn't there. And let's face it: Polka = Fe. :D There's no hiding from that.

And I don't want this next part to be misinterpreted as some attack on you, because it's not, but if you are indeed an ENFJ and you're just now identifying/recognizing various emotional aspects of yourself, then it's likely that you aren't or haven't been completely healthy and are engrossed in your shadow to some extent, which presents a pretty major confounding variable to typing yourself correctly and getting accurate test results, as full ENFJ shadow is a not-very-nice my way or the highway version of someone devoid of the ability to fully consider other perspectives; cold, detached, harsh, seeing disrespect in situations where none is intended, and guided by unusually strong value judgments. Think Vito Corleone. Not a bad person, but someone who circumstantially does bad things.

If this is the case, then you might be interested in Dabrowski's theory of Positive Disintegration, which is basically a road map for fully integrating one's shadow. It might be exciting or interesting for you to take charge of your own development with a different perspective, though the process is also scary and painful.

Of course, none of this is really substantiated... at all... but I hope it gives you some fruitful direction. It's the best I can do without really knowing you outside of circumstantial symbolic and metaphorical anecdotes like this: https://youtu.be/SkkGeDYv3Lc

Which is basically the language of Ni to Ni psychic communication.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
There are some noteworthy correlations, but they certainly don't measure the same things.

As has already been mentioned, the MBTI measures which cognitive functions we use. From there we can extrapolate some likely characteristics, interests, etc. It's surface-level stuff.

The Enneagram looks at our core and how that influences our ego development. Arguably, your enneagram colours your personality to a greater extent than the MBTI. One need only look at an INTP 5 vs INTP 8 to see this.

Or indeed an INTJ 5 vs an INTJ 1.

Blah, blah.

It's good that you don't fit a pigeon-hole neatly. If you did, I'd be worried. All of this stuff just gives us an anchor. We can work out to some degree what we are about and what will make us stronger, what to avoid, what to improve - yadda yadda.

Type is incredibly fluid. Be who you are and fuck the rest.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 2:18 AM
-->

Hey Alias,

I've not taken too much notice of you around the forum thus far, so this is somewhat of a first impression, however you seem to me like an INFP. I'm certainly getting strong F reads, and I see myself as probably being ENFJ, and I'm not getting a "same type as me" read.

As for enneagram, I'm less sure of that system so I'll leave that one alone for now.

edit: If you would like me to look into it further I can do so and see if I get stronger INFP reads or if other types seem likely; if so it would help to direct me to any longer posts you've made which you believe portray your natural thought processes.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 2:18 AM
-->
Hey Alias,

I've not taken too much notice of you around the forum thus far, so this is somewhat of a first impression, however you seem to me like an INFP. I'm certainly getting strong F reads, and I see myself as probably being ENFJ, and I'm not getting a "same type as me" read.

As for enneagram, I'm less sure of that system so I'll leave that one alone for now.

edit: If you would like me to look into it further I can do so and see if I get stronger INFP reads or if other types seem likely; if so it would help to direct me to any longer posts you've made which you believe portray your natural thought processes.

Just kidding lol I'm not really an ENFJ.

Posts on the internet can be misleading a lot of the time.

Top Bottom