• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Flat earthritis

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 5:27 AM
-->
INTPS UNLEASH YOUR POWERS OF DEBATE ON THIS FORUM

http://forum.tfes.org

Or just lurk and experience a cocktail of emotions like I do.

Anyone been there already out of curiosity?

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
Today 1:27 AM
-->
Ew, they have a section about the Earth being covered in a dome of glass. I'm not going to go there, just to be careful.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^^ We're just an exhibit in someone else's story.

[bimgx=350]http://www.charlietonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kandor001.jpeg[/bimgx]

Anyone been there already out of curiosity?

I didn't even know they had a website.
Isn't that kind of advanced for them?

I particularly love the question about "how does GPS work if the earth isn't round for satellites to orbit?"

I've seen suggestions that the site is Poe's Law at work.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 11:27 PM
-->
So... At first, I thought it was some kind of ironic reference. I couldn't tell. Then I found their wiki and realized that they were dead serious.

It's a little funny too, because I recall my Western Civ. professor explaining to us that the average person never believed the earth was flat. He said that anyone who lived near the sea could see the curvature of the earth whenever they watched a ship sail away or to shore. They could see the slope of the earth as they looked in all directions. He claimed that it was common sense knowledge. That only "educated" people and superstitious sailors towed the church's line of flatness.

I dunno if that's true, but it sounds logical to me.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 10:27 PM
-->
It's flat

flat-earth-society-450x190.jpg

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
^^ We're just an exhibit in someone else's story.

[bimgx=350]http://www.charlietonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kandor001.jpeg[/bimgx]

I always had the feeling that we could be a little exhibit.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
If only, imagine how much easier launching things into orbit would be.

*sighs wistfully*

Can you imagine free climbing down to the point? There's a rush.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Yes it's serious, they've got a debate forum and everything, many of the members answer very seriously, got a system of thought and everything. They expect "round earthers" to challenge them, but only after reading the faq. Frankly he debates are even more exhausting than on here ^^

Curiouser and curiouser
:storks:

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Actually It hurts your head a bit after a while if you stay too long and follow full discussions. Useless circular arguments everywhere, crazy posters, inability to tell if trolling or not... (yes Jenny definitely poe's law applies here.) Anyway, it's making me a bit sad now so I'll do something else :)

*shivers and crawls back to INTPf* yeah it's better here.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical.
The myth that people in the Middle Ages thought the earth is flat appears to date from the 17th century as part of the campaign by Protestants against Catholic teaching. But it gained currency in the 19th century, thanks to inaccurate histories such as John William Draper's History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science (1874) and Andrew Dickson White's A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom (1896). Atheists and agnostics championed the conflict thesis for their own purposes, but historical research gradually demonstrated that Draper and White had propagated more fantasy than fact in their efforts to prove that science and religion are locked in eternal conflict.
A 2009 survey of schoolbooks from Austria and Germany showed that the Flat Earth myth became dominant in the second half of the 20th century and persists in most historical textbooks for German and Austrian schools.
Russell suggests that the flat-earth error was able to take such deep hold on the modern imagination because of prejudice and presentism. He specifically mentions "the Protestant prejudice against the Middle Ages for Being Catholic ... the Rationalist prejudice against Judeo-Christianity as a whole", and "the assumption of the superiority of 'our' views to those of older cultures".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

My opinion on that site is that the canadian faction (see link above) is dominant and the most prolific, whether its originators intended it or not.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->
:( do they get to rest?

No idea if the elephants do rest. However, I think the giant turtle is constantly "swimming" in space.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
On that site, is there a real FAQ? I went to the area labelled FAQ, but it doesn't actually answer any questions. With all the red herrings and other answer avoidance, there's no way I can presume these people actually believe the world is flat. They go to so much effort to not answer questions, I can't help but presume they're a bunch of jokers. Hell, one of their signatures reads "Read the FAQ", and the "FAQ" is a link... to the FAQ for the MacGyver TV show.

Edit; Found it!

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:27 AM
-->
PS. Is this what INTPf is now? reduced to copying posts from a really FU'ed forum to laugh about here? bwa ha ha.

As I said, MASS EXODUS.
This is the end of times, armageddon, this forum shall be reduced to smouldering piles of fluff from the mouths of humans who hold that our planet is flat.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
As I said, MASS EXODUS.
This is the end of times, armageddon, this forum shall be reduced to smouldering piles of fluff from the mouths of humans who hold that our planet is flat.

At least I'll actually know how old I am, now, for realz. (Thanks Tom!)

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
So.... wait.... I thought I was 26. I'm actually 32?!

Like I said before, though, the whole damn forum looks like a bunch of trolls. If any of those guys actually believed in a flat Earth, I'd be surprised.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
So.... wait.... I thought I was 26. I'm actually 32?!

Like I said before, though, the whole damn forum looks like a bunch of trolls. If any of those guys actually believed in a flat Earth, I'd be surprised.
I hope it's just a bunch of trolls. That's a far more preferable thought when compared with the idea that so many flat-earthists exist.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Some may be trolls, others are just far too active on it long-term to be trolls. No trolls are that dedicated surely... Perhaps I underestimate troll will power. I think it's for real.

@spaceyeti you've actually made an account :applause: Please post links here to your discussions ( if you're willing). And anybody else who makes an account. Let's create an intpf tfes exchange dynamic. (or not, whatever)

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Although It would be hilarious if it was in fact a concentration of hugely dedicated trolls all unknowingly trolling each other

chlywly

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Yep, they're dead serious. In fact you come find plenty of hour long flat earth videos on Yotube trying to explain through "cold hard fact" which ends up being nothing more but laughable rhetoric, why our Earth is apparently flat and every single photo and or video ever taken of it from space has been doctored LOL... I mean I subscribe to 9/11 being a partial inside job but Flat Earh now that's a conspiracy theory!

Funny enough I had a good friend whom I no longer speak to because he believes this type of garbage without doing a single piece of contrarian, he seems dead set on the opinion that anything main stream must automatically be wrong.. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:27 AM
-->
I was re-reading this thread an hour ago by chance...

Always amusing, humans.

I like the manner in which Pratchett created a flat world, giving a broad scientific mechanism for it to function(albeit in another universe)
However, the reasoning used by many contemporary humans to support this claim is hilariously flawed.

The absence of Antarctica is amusing as well, especially as it's effect on the weather is quite evident if one lives below the Tropic of Capricorn.

The man seems to have gained some notice or celebrity tokens or whatnot for his efforts, though. Publicity..yes.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
The revival of the ridiculous is a ruse to rally the retarded.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
Publicity..yes.

I bet his sales went up a bit. Nobody REALLY believes the Earth is flat, right?

I like conspiracy theories a ton. Its fun to weigh evidence and whatnot. Its a fun way to learn a little about history, sometimes.

In fact, I find myself leaning towards the idea that people never landed on the moon. But a flat Earth? Wouldn't the edges be common knowledge by now?

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Master Paul, I invite you to check out the forum in question if you don't think anyone REALLY believes it.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
Master Paul, I invite you to check out the forum in question if you don't think anyone REALLY believes it.

I'm not sure its a good idea for me to visit a forum where people REALLY believe the Earth is flat. I simply cannot afford to go on a shooting spree right now.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 4:27 PM
-->
I haven't read any of their forums yet, but I don't need to to know it's all 100% legit.

Didn't you know that those photos of Earth from space were shot with a fish eye lens?

Speaking of Earth and space, that whole gravity theory is BS. If there was gravity in space, all the planets would fall down.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
It's like really naive extremist empiricism.

"Well obviously it's not round, just look around you it's obviously flat duh."

I'm really tempted to troll them by taking the extremist empiricism and say, "GUYS GUYS I saw mountains!!! It's not flat!! "

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Lool, I dare you!

Oh, random and half formed thought you (anyone) might find interesting as we're here; you know that felix dude who done that 'space jump' - well if we look at the footage, we'll apparently notice that he appears to be several thousand ft higher than he should be.

I have a friend who was investigating that line of thought when it happened, I forget the details now, but as new footage has been released recently, I might take up the opportunity to revive and re-investigate.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
It's like really naive extremist empiricism.

"Well obviously it's not round, just look around you it's obviously flat duh."

I'm really tempted to troll them by taking the extremist empiricism and say, "GUYS GUYS I saw mountains!!! It's not flat!! "

Cant see air. We dont breathe.

Ember

Blazing Away
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
Forget seeing air, we can't see our lungs -> We couldn't breathe even if we wanted to.

Sly-fy

Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
I haven't read any of their forums yet, but I don't need to to know it's all 100% legit.

Didn't you know that those photos of Earth from space were shot with a fish eye lens?

Speaking of Earth and space, that whole gravity theory is BS. If there was gravity in space, all the planets would fall down.

You sound like my idiot friends, except they`re not kidding (and now you`re gonna say: "But I`m not kidding either!") ahahaha

These idiot friends I mentioned have bought into this theory that you never see the dark side of the moon because it`s a conspiracy and that the reason is because the Earth is flat (somehow that makes more sense to them than any other alternative.) They`re all ES types, BTW.

I have even tried to explain to them the concept of synchronous rotation which as you know is the reason for this phenomenon through a practical demonstration. I used objects to demonstrate why, if the moon rotates around its own axis and around the Earth at the same rate that the Earth does (because the moon was created as a by-product of the same cosmic event that caused both the Earth`s and the moon`s rotation) it causes us to always be looking at one side of the Moon from the Earth. I did this by rotating said objects, representing both the Earth and the Moon both around their axis and the moon around the Earth, emulating the real-life way in which the moon`s path around the Earth and its simultaneous spinning around its axis in the same direction of the Earth`s own rotation cancel each other out.

I performed this demonstration twice to them and it didn`t help them one bit. There was only one guy there both times who didn`t want to go one way or the other, a harmonious, feeling type. People will believe what they want to believe, but not that which exceeds the limits of their intelligence or open-mindedness.

Top Bottom