• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Hello Fellow INTPs

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Yesterday 10:44 PM
-->
My name is Daniel and I am an INTP. I would like to meet other INTPs since I do not know any personally.

I found out that I was an INTP recently, and it has been an eye-opening experience. I never really thought that I was particularly intelligent or smart but others seem to think so. A friend of mine introduced me to the MBTI, and the descriptions that I've read about INTPs are shockingly similar to my own personality.

I think that I may have a few things about my personality that isn't typical of an INTP that I would like to explore. Also, I would like to make some INTP friends that understand the plight of an INTP.

I look forward to being a part of this forum and getting to know you all!

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:44 PM
-->
Hello

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 7:44 AM
-->
another unique snowflake in the blizzard.
welcome.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:44 AM
-->
Welcome indeed.
What aspects of your personality would you say are most divergent from the intp archetype?

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
Welcome indeed.
What aspects of your personality would you say are most divergent from the intp archetype?

I’m still trying to figure that out. I am confident that I am an INTP, however I found that the following seem to not be typical of INTPs. At the same time, I can see how they could also be a result of my INTP personality type.

1. I notice details, clean, organize, and take care of my physical appearance. I am very aware of my surroundings, and am not a clumsy person.

2. Precision is not important to me in most cases. I am not very good at mathematics but am very good at estimating. I do value precision when it is important but it almost never is.

3. Eating is an experience for me, and I enjoy many different aspects of food. I only eat for sustenance when I’m short on time, for bodybuilding & nutrition, or when I forget to eat.

4. I am very good in social situations, and can switch to extraversion. I avoid social situations, social networking, and most things social. I would prefer to observe how people interact than be part of the interaction.

5. I don't remember things specifically. When I want to recall something from memory, I remember every step that I took to find the information, but forget the information itself. I will not remember even if the process for remembering how to get a piece of information is much more detailed than the information itself.

6. I don't read very much. I scan a lot and let my introverted thinking fill in the blanks. This one actually seems to be because I’m an INTP. Every word that I read spawns a new thread in my mind, so by the end of a page I am still looking at the words, but I am essentially blind at that point.

7. I am very artistic. I know creativity is part of INTP, but art does not seem to be typical. I can churn out new ideas and expand on ideas like other creative INTPs.

I tried to put them in order of most divergent, to least divergent based on my opinion and what I have read about INTPs.

I would say that I can personally relate to someone like Leonardo da Vinci (ENTP). But I am not an extrovert.

Also, I have considered that I may be INTJ. This is not the case. I am open to the possibility but I have only a few similarities to J, and many to P. I rarely know what day it is, and live an unstructured lifestyle. I absolutely hate setting appointments because I don’t know what I will be doing or how I will feel on that date. I work independently so that my schedule is flexible in case something comes up that triggers a 3 or 4 day manic episode.

Every test that I have taken has resulted in INTP. Also, I have taken the following test which resulted in INTP.

http://www.celebritytypes.com/test/intj-or-intp.php

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
Welcome, you strike me as a INTJ from your writing.

Don't rely on tests and examine the cognitive functions of each types. Numbers 2, 5, and 6 sounds more like Ni not Ti.

Oh and my brothers name is Daniel and he is a INTJ. That is why you must be a INTJ.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 4:44 PM
-->
I can't help but notice you have what appears to be your name in your signature. Since this is often unintentional I thought I would let you know but you seem fairly open.

There are just some infamous stalking types here... :D

Either way Hi!

mynameismuse

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:44 AM
-->
Hi Daniel, nice to meet you. I also find myself value appearance and quality in general and can switch to extrovert when its necessary. I think that might have to do with I'm possibly a INFJ as well. I've yet to figure out what exactly I am.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
Thank you everyone! So far I'm feeling pretty good about joining this forum and have contributed to a few threads.

Normally forums are not a pleasant place because if you don't take the popular opinion, then the whole bandwagon jumps in to argue against the unpopular opinion. Then they use the bandwagon as proof to support their arguments.

:storks:

Welcome, you strike me as a INTJ from your writing.

Don't rely on tests and examine the cognitive functions of each types. Numbers 2, 5, and 6 sounds more like Ni not Ti.

Oh and my brothers name is Daniel and he is a INTJ. That is why you must be a INTJ.

Yeah, I agree that INTJ is a strong possibility but I am not relying entirely on tests. Before taking the test, I was assessed by a friend in detail. And after taking several tests, I also assessed my own personality.

You are only seeing the items that I believe are not typical for an INTP. If I included the list of things that I believe make me an INTP, you might change your mind.

I will investigate this further to see if I can sway my opinion.

I want to follow up on each of the points that you mentioned.

#2. Precision. While I do not think precision is important, I do believe that correctness is very important. I like to put everything on a spectrum, rather than a binary or chunky numbering systems. I did put this one pretty high in the list because it does seem to be the opposite of the typical INTP.

#5. Non-specific memory. Is this something that INTJ's do? I was reading in another thread that I believe was by "Architect" but I cannot find it again. He said that he tries not to remember specific things because the information is already stored in another location. I feel like that is what I do based on how important, and the likelihood that I will use the information again in the future. So, something like a persons name is not important to me because I can still contact and communicate with them without remembering it.

I remember details about about people (and other things), and can recall images, video, and audio that are associated with that person in my memory. I have particular trouble recalling audio because I can easily use their voice to generate new audio so it is not something that I trust. I have a similar issue with recalling video and images because they can be manipulated but I have much more control over it so I trust it a lot. Recalling words, names, dates, and anything really specific is usually done by remembering something else first. I guess it's more like categories that I have for the information in my brain.

To me, abstract organization is very organized because I consistently recall information, or details. Also, it gives me an opportunity to add or change my understanding as I traverse the information in my head. So I guess that this would support my claim to being INTP because my internal thoughts are extremely organized.

#6. Reading difficulties. I have seen a lot of online references regarding INTPs with difficulty reading.

I don't read fiction. I don't read linearly, or have an organized approach to reading material. I just go in whatever direction it leads me. If I try to read a book straight through, then I'm constantly stopping myself to go back to where I stopped reading. I still am "reading" and turning pages, but my focus is internal. My eyes dilate and I lose focus of the book and external stimuli. I am not sure if my subconscious takes over the reading of the book but somehow my eyes still scan across each sentence, and I continue to turn pages like I was actually reading.

I can't help but notice you have what appears to be your name in your signature. Since this is often unintentional I thought I would let you know but you seem fairly open.

There are just some infamous stalking types here... :D

Either way Hi!

Is it against the rules to display my name in my signature? I use my name other places on the internet without any problems, so I wasn't really concerned. What will these stalkers do? Is it something that I should be concerned about?

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
Hi Daniel, nice to meet you. I also find myself value appearance and quality in general and can switch to extrovert when its necessary. I think that might have to do with I'm possibly a INFJ as well. I've yet to figure out what exactly I am.

Nice to meet you too!

If you don't mind, maybe you can answer these questions:

What do you do to switch to being extroverted? Is it easy? Is it because you have observed extroverts and can emulate their behavior? Does it require preparation, or do you just switch at will?

Why do you care about your appearance? Do you care about keeping things in your physical spaces(bedroom, work-space, car, etc...) clean and organized as well?

Also, I don't know if this is a mistake, but you said you are possibly an INFJ. I am not an INFJ, but possibly INTJ (note the T, instead of the F). You can see from my test scores in my signature that I am very much a T, and not F at all. The question is (J)udging or (P)erceiving.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Is it against the rules to display my name in my signature? I use my name other places on the internet without any problems, so I wasn't really concerned. What will these stalkers do? Is it something that I should be concerned about?

Oh not at all. It's really not a problem. Just people often do it accidentally so I figured I'd let you know. (also stalkers was exaggeration)

mynameismuse

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sure I don't mind.

I switch to being an extrovert when the situation requires me to, for example, when being social gives an apparent advantage or when nobody else seems to want to strike up a conversation. I observe and learn constantly. So when I'm in E mode, I initiate conversation, ask questions I think socialites ask, perform small talks, smile and nod a lot, encourage and give affirmation. It doesn't really require any preparation in technical/skill level but it does require certain mood or emotion status from me. If I don't feel well, meaning wanting to please others, i will be simply put on my restive bitch face and stay low-profile.

I care about my images and how people perceive me. I am not organized or tidy but I am pretty clean (but far from being OCD). I love living in an organized environment, but I just don't like performing the chores myself...

I also score very highly on T. I still test out to be INTJ and INTP in different tests. But I identify with INFJ a lot as well.

Nice to meet you too!

If you don't mind, maybe you can answer these questions:

What do you do to switch to being extroverted? Is it easy? Is it because you have observed extroverts and can emulate their behavior? Does it require preparation, or do you just switch at will?

Why do you care about your appearance? Do you care about keeping things in your physical spaces(bedroom, work-space, car, etc...) clean and organized as well?

Also, I don't know if this is a mistake, but you said you are possibly an INFJ. I am not an INFJ, but possibly INTJ (note the T, instead of the F). You can see from my test scores in my signature that I am very much a T, and not F at all. The question is (J)udging or (P)erceiving.

mynameismuse

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Oh not at all. It's really not a problem. Just people often do it accidentally so I figured I'd let you know. (also stalkers was exaggeration)

I thought INTPs or INs are very private people. I always want to conceal my true identity online, but I feel more comfortable opening up myself up here because it seems like we are all like-minded.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I thought INTPs or INs are very private people. I always want to conceal my true identity online, but I feel more comfortable opening up myself up here because it seems like we are all like-minded.

Yes they are. But the signature comes from a testing website and it doesn't say it's going to put your name on the picture when you enter your name. In the past people have accidentally put there name in the signature via the link while wishing to remain private.

So I go around telling people they've done it in case they didn't know. If they do know it's fine!

But yes in general IN's are private people. Opening up and concealing identity are two different things though. :P

Direwolf

Local time
-->
Welcome to the forum danny. You seem like the type of person i would get along with, but thats probably because we sound similar. Only difference is that im crap at social situations. My eccentricity is the only thing that gets me through. Its not a problem that you disply your name its just that there are people that can be a bit... Well you know. But anywho your choice and what not. Again welcome to the forum.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 6:44 AM
-->
I’m still trying to figure that out. I am confident that I am an INTP, however I found that the following seem to not be typical of INTPs. At the same time, I can see how they could also be a result of my INTP personality type.

1. I notice details, clean, organize, and take care of my physical appearance. I am very aware of my surroundings, and am not a clumsy person.

2. Precision is not important to me in most cases. I am not very good at mathematics but am very good at estimating. I do value precision when it is important but it almost never is.

3. Eating is an experience for me, and I enjoy many different aspects of food. I only eat for sustenance when I’m short on time, for bodybuilding & nutrition, or when I forget to eat.

4. I am very good in social situations, and can switch to extraversion. I avoid social situations, social networking, and most things social. I would prefer to observe how people interact than be part of the interaction.

5. I don't remember things specifically. When I want to recall something from memory, I remember every step that I took to find the information, but forget the information itself. I will not remember even if the process for remembering how to get a piece of information is much more detailed than the information itself.

6. I don't read very much. I scan a lot and let my introverted thinking fill in the blanks. This one actually seems to be because I’m an INTP. Every word that I read spawns a new thread in my mind, so by the end of a page I am still looking at the words, but I am essentially blind at that point.

7. I am very artistic. I know creativity is part of INTP, but art does not seem to be typical. I can churn out new ideas and expand on ideas like other creative INTPs.

xNTx is probably true. if the tests say so. rest is up for grabs.
i'll give you feedback on the 7 points you mentioned
1. points to Je or Pe = ENTx
2. inconclusive
3. points to nothing
4. points to nothing (both I and E have ppl with that desc)
5. points to N
6. don't like reading myself heheh (and I also don't read fiction.). but what you said points to JiPe or PeJi. so not an xNTJ
7. points to ENxP
and based on the rest you said, I think youre likely to be ENTP. ENTPs function exactly like INTPs just slightly different priorities(look at their cognitive functions, they're the same). careful, the terms "extravert" and "introvert" are defined differently in jungian than general terms. Since all tests suck, you will be pidgeonholed in with the INTPs everytime you say something bad about people. ENTPs can be absolutely asocial, exploring the world or something. the only thing that E stands for is that your dominant function is Ne, not Ti.

I suggest you google for introverted ENTPs and compare.

Normally forums are not a pleasant place because if you don't take the popular opinion, then the whole bandwagon jumps in to argue against the unpopular opinion. Then they use the bandwagon as proof to support their arguments.
somehow I doubt these guys will do it. I get the vibe if they disagree with anyone they will just flatout say it. anyway welcome to the bandwago.. forum :D

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
xNTx is probably true. if the tests say so. rest is up for grabs.
i'll give you feedback on the 7 points you mentioned
1. points to Je or Pe = ENTx
2. inconclusive
3. points to nothing
4. points to nothing (both I and E have ppl with that desc)
5. points to N
6. don't like reading myself heheh (and I also don't read fiction.). but what you said points to JiPe or PeJi. so not an xNTJ
7. points to ENxP
and based on the rest you said, I think youre likely to be ENTP. ENTPs function exactly like INTPs just slightly different priorities(look at their cognitive functions, they're the same). careful, the terms "extravert" and "introvert" are defined differently in jungian than general terms. Since all tests suck, you will be pidgeonholed in with the INTPs everytime you say something bad about people. ENTPs can be absolutely asocial, exploring the world or something. the only thing that E stands for is that your dominant function is Ne, not Ti.

I suggest you google for introverted ENTPs and compare.

Wow! Thank you for going into so much detail for me! I am looking up introverted ENTPs, and I will report back after doing some research.

A few reason that I believe that I am an introvert...

1. I gain energy from being alone with my thoughts, and am drained quickly in any social situation. I don't get lonely from spending long duration of time without any social interaction.

2. In elementary school, I rarely talked to anyone. When someone would come up and say something to me, I would just stare at them blankly. I didn't have any friends. Most of the time I stayed home and played video games.

3. I have gone for months without saying a word. At some point I tried talking again and it took a few hours before I could vocalize a word.

4. I had a very hard time understanding how to have a basic conversation (and I mean very basic conversations). I had a hard time understanding what made people want to talk to each other. I couldn't really understand why anyone did anything until my early 20's. It all seemed random and nonsensical to me because I had no urges to talk to anyone for any reason.

And when I say basic conversations, I mean basic. I purchased a book when I was ~20 years old called "How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends" which was frustrating to me because I needed something way more basic than that. It assumed that I was having difficulty having a good conversation and wanted to improve. I couldn't find any book that dealt with learning to have a conversation at the level that I needed.

5. I dropped out of high school as a freshman to start independent study.

6. Up until I was around 19 years old, I spent a majority of my time observing and only talking to others out of necessity.

7. Most of my life I have spent in avoidance of social situations. When I am in social situations, I try to keep a low profile and just observe.

I could list out many more reasons but this covers the basics of why I don't think that I'm an ENTP.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am a very private person. I feel the same way about opening up about my ideas here. I don't usually share my ideas with anyone because they would think I'm a conspiracy-nut, or delusional. I want to test my ideas outside of my own head to find the problems and strengthen my ideas and beliefs.

Welcome to the forum danny. You seem like the type of person i would get along with, but thats probably because we sound similar. Only difference is that im crap at social situations. My eccentricity is the only thing that gets me through. Its not a problem that you disply your name its just that there are people that can be a bit... Well you know. But anywho your choice and what not. Again welcome to the forum.

Thanks! You seem like the type of person that I would get a long with too.

Direwolf

Local time
-->
I feel for you danny (well i think thats what it is) i dont understand conversations either. They just dont make sense. Im always the butt/budd (not sure which) of the joke. Its funnier for them when i dont know that i am. It sucks though im still in highschool, so theres alot of these interactions. Im just lucky people like my wierd ways and my helpful attitude. Phew.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
I feel for you danny (well i think thats what it is) i dont understand conversations either. They just dont make sense. Im always the butt/budd (not sure which) of the joke. Its funnier for them when i dont know that i am. It sucks though im still in highschool, so theres alot of these interactions. Im just lucky people like my wierd ways and my helpful attitude. Phew.

No need to feel for me buddy! That was how I used to be, but now I am very good in social situations when I choose to be.

You can learn to be more charismatic and improve your conversation skills. I felt like I was never going to be good in social situations and I figured it out. I wish you the best of luck!

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:44 AM
-->
i think INTP makes most sense for you. but that's not important.

hard to comment on your list of anomalies, but the reading trouble part is familiar. i find that through my life i have read stuff effectively as INTP, always anchoring in logical consistency (which may be suspended but never ignored), Ne to quickly fill in blanks, Si tracking the network of convictions and sometimes producing confirmation bias and tunnel vision, Fe being a latent (de)motivator. but this is a very loose and indeed biased interpretation. i could easily make ENTP, ISFJ or INFJ fit the bill just as well, at least on this crude level of analysis.

i think cognitive function theory is best when used less rigidly and particularly, instead being envisioned as forces flowing through us. the conceptual inventory of jung can elucidate and roughly outline much of mental phenomena, but makes for poor dogma/maxim.

Jaffa

Local time
-->
Welcome to the forum, I'm also a Daniel..... so you're obviously awesome.

StevenM

beep
Local time
Today 1:44 AM
-->
Welcome to the forum computerhxr,

Have fun as you dive deeper into the surreal world of cognitive functions.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
Welcome to the forum, I'm also a Daniel..... so you're obviously awesome.

Ditto!

hey you're welcome

notice how you emphasized social situations in every point except point 5. All these points are irrelevant for I/E typing. heres a site I found just for you ^_^ (the author 'got it', most online sites don't)
http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2013/08/the-difference-between-intp-and-entp/

Hmm... I'm not sure what to say about that page exactly. Sounds more like a rant than anything else... But, based on what they said, I would say that I am definitely an INTP.

You say that every point is irrelevant to I/E typing but I would have to disagree. I feel like you are thinking about it too hard. Everything that I mentioned indicates that I have a strong preference for introverted thinking, and no preference for extroverted anything. Those behaviors are a result of my INTP personality type. Since then, I have developed my dominant, auxiliary, and my tertiary functions to a high degree. It seems obvious, but if you look past the obvious I can see how it can be confusing.

i think INTP makes most sense for you. but that's not important.

hard to comment on your list of anomalies, but the reading trouble part is familiar. i find that through my life i have read stuff effectively as INTP, always anchoring in logical consistency (which may be suspended but never ignored), Ne to quickly fill in blanks, Si tracking the network of convictions and sometimes producing confirmation bias and tunnel vision, Fe being a latent (de)motivator. but this is a very loose and indeed biased interpretation. i could easily make ENTP, ISFJ or INFJ fit the bill just as well, at least on this crude level of analysis.

i think cognitive function theory is best when used less rigidly and particularly, instead being envisioned as forces flowing through us. the conceptual inventory of jung can elucidate and roughly outline much of mental phenomena, but makes for poor dogma/maxim.

I agree, but it would be more useful to me if I identified my personality type accurately. When I read the descriptions of ENTP and INTP, I identify more with INTP's description.

Direwolf

Local time
-->
One day maybe... One day. I have to ask though where did you gind the multiple intelligence test. Wanted to do one for ages but havent found one. You dont have to go out of your eay to do it but i would be mighty thankful. Anywho what interests you in this wide world of ours danny? Ok what are your interests?

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
One day maybe... One day. I have to ask though where did you gind the multiple intelligence test. Wanted to do one for ages but havent found one. You dont have to go out of your eay to do it but i would be mighty thankful. Anywho what interests you in this wide world of ours danny? Ok what are your interests?

Are you talking about the test results in my signature? I paid to take the test on a website called mypersonality.info. I think that the multiple intelligence can change over time, so I would be interested in re-taking that portion of the test.

One thing that I find odd is that they group logical with mathematical, which is my most developed intelligence. In their description they mention logical and abstract. I am particularly bad at math, but I have a really good understanding of Calculus. In fact, I use it frequently to make decisions and predictions without any math or calculation. Which I guess is why I am particularly interested in Fibonacci and the Golden Ratio.

Another part of the test measures left and right braindedness ;-). Apparently I am about 50/50 which seems accurate.

About my interests... I actually just posted them in response to another thread:

Well, I'm an an engineer by profession so I have little interest in spending my free time with computer related topics. Abstractly, maybe.

I like systems, ideas, and abstractions. Fibonacci is something that I am particularly interested in. Texas Hold'em Poker, the stock market, aggregate analysis, decision modeling, operational efficiency and effectiveness, philosophy, and psychology. With psychology, I particularly am interested in sociology. With philosophy, I am particularly interested in epistemology and abstract ideas. To me, most of these interests are highly correlated.

Anything spark your interest?

Direwolf

Local time
-->
Well payin isnt an option so i guess i have to pass. "Sigh". And i didnt see that post, sorry for wasting your time.

Top Bottom