• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How can we save the forum?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 10:27 AM
-->
Some people have been complaining that the forum is dying...so it must be true!

How can we save the sinking ship? What would you recommend? :kodama1:

@Inappropriate Behavior
@Alice?
@Kuu
@Lyra

muching_out.gif

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:27 PM
-->
... I'm listening.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Actually Lyra's already started this in another thread, so here it will goes, cropped to the thread title for all us lazy INTPs.

What's needed, IMO, isn't a doing away with clarity and precision and super-focused analytical critiques. It's an expansion of them. Not recognising the need for this characterises the intellectual laziness and arrogance and closed-mindedness that often ruins this forum's threads and its members' thinking. People here are basically just not that well read or versed in the basis for their mundane, plebian assumptions about what the 'rational' and 'science'-backed position is. They're far too arrogant for what their thought process, and its conscious components and foundation (usually faith that survives only by virtue of limited research), warrants. They assume that 'reason' or 'science' or whatever holds up the unstated premises of their myopic worldview without stating or analysing that foundation themselves, or listening to others who think about it or want to clarify it or re-express its fundamental spirit. And that is where the small-mindedness comes from.

Those foundations clarified, alternatives could be considered. If people here were more genuinely logical-- and more purely concerned with truth and clarity-- the nitpickiness wouldn't obscure huge-scale or foundational thinking about alternatives or what it all means or how useful current axioms/assumptions are actually proving.

Interesting. But what happens when topics divulge into meta and philosophical discussions whereby the nature of logical claims are deconstructed and refuted. Then we end up with a discussion of intuitions and how they relate. Should we expect that being precisely logical would not cloud such discussions? How do you know when being precisely logical is going to aid or hurt a discussion?

Also there are tonnes of NiFe cowards trying to seem cold hard smart and rational. They're just little bitches folded by the current intellectual climate, and who seek to fold others who dare waver from their half-baked worldview to bolster their unwarranted sense of intellectual strength.

Off with their heads?

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 8:27 AM
-->
^I am off my head..

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->

This is a good start. Do let us know how you sort it out though.

HANG EVERYONE IN THE CITY COURT! EVERY SINGLE SOUL! Purge the undesirables! :storks:

Extreme, but that would definitely work. If there's no one to observe or complain about the forum, it can't be going downhill. :D

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 10:27 PM
-->
Extreme, but that would definitely work. If there's no one to observe the forum, it can't be going downhill. :D

Well, honestly, it's not dying as much as it's changing, which is inevitable though the change might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Lyra

Genesis Engineering Speciation
Local time
Today 9:27 PM
-->
The only way to 'save' the forum is through doing higher/better stuff, or recognising when others are and engaging with it. Good leadership and the right rules might help, from a certain perspective or in certain people's interests, but they can't do much to get started something that isn't already moving.

IMO there are a few souls and minds here I care about, or care about affecting, and I can construct the record of my actions I want, and the rest is of little concern. Any two people here are free to create something amazing together. Any one can fill the forum with untold wonder or innovation. And any one can forget this site and go and create whatever else they want. If people aren't getting what they need here, they can concern themselves with wherever does have it.

People talk about decline-- and, yes, there was a special spirit here when some of us were younger, a few years ago, that there isn't so much now. But many of the old crowd talk only through personal friendship or relationships, now. Some went and created other private forums. Some went and theorised about typology. Some still hang around here. Anybody who wants to go and create whatever can do so. Anybody who wants to talk only with those they want to talk with can do so. Anybody who wants to start a certain group who talk to each other here a lot can do so. Look at yourself before you look at 'decline'. The people who made this place what it was are still out there in society, and you can go find people like them or even more interesting to you if you want to. Obsessively clinging to one particular location or website where they once talked isn't smart.

I've personally been making art out of this forum for years (see the thread I linked in the last post), and more so than ever in the past few months (I'm more skilled now than when I started out); as far as I'm concerned this forum is at an utter pinnacle. That's because I'm here to create and do and achieve, I learn and grow from doing that... and anybody can do that here, in their own way. Or elsewhere. Most of these restraints and 'declines' are self-imposed, self-accepted, self-reflecting.

There's really so little limitation on what's possible in so far as you have a little imagination and do what inspires you. Create, create, create. That's what makes things happen, makes things beautiful, makes special times come about. Be your art and shut the fuck up blaming everybody else that your life and conversations and the social circles you choose to engage with are so mediocre.

Lyra

Local time
-->
Dor said that about herself as well. In faith I soldier on :elephant:

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->
I think putting an end to "Decline and Fall of the INTP Forum" threads would be a good start.

Instead of hand wringing, post something interesting. If you can't manage that then it probably isn't the forum that has a problem.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 10:27 PM
-->
It's me that needs saving, again. Someone's been messing with my profile! *fitting emoticon*

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:27 PM
-->
We could stop pretending these people who claim the forum is dying are correct. I've seen no signs of this place dying. It's slow once in a while, but all forums are. Except for the stupidly big ones, but I tend not to like those anyhow.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Some people have been complaining that the forum is dying...so it must be true!

How can we save the sinking ship? What would you recommend?

Super Jesus

Mw2s641.jpg

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
*sigh*

I probably shouldn't have gone there in the influential thread. Sorry.

Fukyo is right, it's just changed and sometimes nostalgia makes me whiny about it I suppose.

I made a BIG mistake. Trouble is I don't know when it was. Was it 2 years ago when I left? (I didn't visit or lurk, I completely left) Or was it 4 months ago when I logged on, saw some familiar names were still around and came right back in without lurking around first?

There was a vibe here, a vibe I felt I understood and fit into. I haven't felt the current vibe YET. I haven't found my fit YET.

I haven't found inspiration YET.

I will and I'll stop acting like this place has gone to hell. I like this place and I always have.

I would like to take this opportunity to make one complaint and after that I have a...question for the older members. And by older I don't mean age but those who have been members of the forum for 3 or 4 years. Edit: Perhaps the newer members will be able to answer it more accurately.

The complaint:

I considered for awhile creating a thread modeled after Minuends wonderful stop giving relationship advice thread entitled "Stop trying to type people! You suck at it!" but I encountered two problems when I thought about what I wanted to say. Namely, the title is ALL wrong. Those who participate in trying to type people shouldn't stop and I certainly can't say anyone sucks at it. Some of you are probably pretty good at it but I don't know.

So why would I have wanted to start such a thread? What was getting under my skin?

Chad's arrogant thread provided the answer. Not the poll, not the answers given. The main word. Arrogant.

We should try and type people. Especially if they ask and have some confusion about it. No one here is a mind reader. No one here knows how anyone else's mind works. Most of us have enough trouble understanding how our own minds work. So many times instead of an analysis like "you display Xx functions which might suggest you are XXXX" and then explaining why a person seems to be displaying said functions I see a lot of "You are definitely XXXX."

Jesus H. Christ riding a fucking Harley through a sleepy neighborhood at 3 in the morning is that ever arrogant.

*Typing it out like this and it seems like I'm just developing a pet peeve. Oh well, it's just something I've been finding irksome.

Questions for the older members that hopefully newer members can answer as well:

Are we holding the newer members back?

I'll explain. I'm seeing a lot of a been there, done that attitude. Sometimes it's even worded that exact way. It often comes across to me like "We've already talked about that, catch up n00b!" I know that's not anyone's intent but if I put myself in the other person's shoes, I can see how it might come across like that. In effect, shutting down the avenue of exploration that person is trying to reach.

Sometimes a group of people need to explore a path with the help of experienced guidance, sometimes that group needs to explore that path on their own. I don't know how to tell which is which.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Gah, this hasn't been my posting modus operandi. I'm going to do something inane for the rest of the evening (watch tv perhaps). I'll read and respond to any responses this might get tomorrow. Even the STFU ones :p

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
*sigh*

I probably shouldn't have gone there in the influential thread. Sorry.

Fukyo is right, it's just changed and sometimes nostalgia makes me whiny about it I suppose.

I made a BIG mistake. Trouble is I don't know when it was. Was it 2 years ago when I left? (I didn't visit or lurk, I completely left) Or was it 4 months ago when I logged on, saw some familiar names were still around and came right back in without lurking around first?

There was a vibe here, a vibe I felt I understood and fit into. I haven't felt the current vibe YET. I haven't found my fit YET.

I haven't found inspiration YET.

:(

I will and I'll stop acting like this place has gone to hell. I like this place and I always have.

Awwww. :)

I would like to take this opportunity to make one complaint and after that I have a...question for the older members. And by older I don't mean age but those who have been members of the forum for 3 or 4 years. Edit: Perhaps the newer members will be able to answer it more accurately.

The complaint:

I considered for awhile creating a thread modeled after Minuends wonderful stop giving relationship advice thread entitled "Stop trying to type people! You suck at it!" but I encountered two problems when I thought about what I wanted to say. Namely, the title is ALL wrong. Those who participate in trying to type people shouldn't stop and I certainly can't say anyone sucks at it. Some of you are probably pretty good at it but I don't know.

So why would I have wanted to start such a thread? What was getting under my skin?

Chad's arrogant thread provided the answer. Not the poll, not the answers given. The main word. Arrogant.

We should try and type people. Especially if they ask and have some confusion about it. No one here is a mind reader. No one here knows how anyone else's mind works. Most of us have enough trouble understanding how our own minds work. So many times instead of an analysis like "you display Xx functions which might suggest you are XXXX" and then explaining why a person seems to be displaying said functions I see a lot of "You are definitely XXXX."

Jesus H. Christ riding a fucking Harley through a sleepy neighborhood at 3 in the morning is that ever arrogant.

Right, we ought to save our QED's for math, logic, and epic, crushing, final blows.

*Typing it out like this and it seems like I'm just developing a pet peeve. Oh well, it's just something I've been finding irksome.

Questions for the older members that hopefully newer members can answer as well:

Are we holding the newer members back?

I'll explain. I'm seeing a lot of a been there, done that attitude. Sometimes it's even worded that exact way. It often comes across to me like "We've already talked about that, catch up n00b!" I know that's not anyone's intent but if I put myself in the other person's shoes, I can see how it might come across like that. In effect, shutting down the avenue of exploration that person is trying to reach.

Could you provide some examples?

Sometimes a group of people need to explore a path with the help of experienced guidance, sometimes that group needs to explore that path on their own. I don't know how to tell which is which.

A Jedi: When are the padawans to be released from their masters?
Yoda: When ready, they are.
Jedi: And when are they ready, master Yoda?
Yoda: Know, you will, when the Force a message sends.

Does this make sense to anyone?

It makes sense to me. :)

Gah, this hasn't been my posting modus operandi. I'm going to do something inane for the rest of the evening (watch tv perhaps). I'll read and respond to any responses this might get tomorrow. Even the STFU ones :p

Come on, IB, don't give up. You're on a roll!

-Duxwing

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Seriously, How was I not informed about the dying on this forum. I demand a recall I didn't vote for this. :evil::beatyou::beatyou::ahh:

Lyra

Local time
-->
The forum is an oversensitive damsel in distress. :phear:

*Lyra rides to the fukyo's rescue, slaying a fire-breathing hawkeye en route*

Edit: oh... you said 'the forum'. I misread I swear :phear:

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:27 AM
-->
Sitting on a park bench, feeling the world turn underneath, around me people are talking about the sky falling but I lookup and see nothing out of the ordinary, it's just a fad I think, it's been slow recently and we're all just a little bit bored.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
I've been here only a while, so maybe my word isn't relevant, but:

If some of the older members are complaining that the forum is dying, perhaps they should step up and lead it in the right direction.

If some of the newer members are complaining that the forum is dying, perhaps they should hold their tongue until they are more well-informed (with time should come wisdom).

I personally find the forum exciting and full of surprises (although sometimes it gets 'same old, same old'). I've interacted with many intelligent and reasonable people.

I would say that innovation seems to be lacking here, though. Although I'm relatively new to the world of forums, it seems as though one as open as INTPf is missing some of the more hardcore idea-people (or at least they're not showing it).

Just my .02, of course.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
I know little about how forums opperate and even less about this one.:eek: I can't help but wonder if I am not much to blame for the recent "This forum is going to hell" thinking. I come to this forum to relax and have a good time and try to express a care free attitude while I'm here (most of the time) but I guess seeing as how most of you older members probably haven't seen how I could be a value to this forum is of no suprise to me. I often fall under the stupid/ignorant category but really I just want a place where I can be around like minded individuals. At this point I am not sure if this is the place or not; I seem to get little responce and even littler respect. I am just one individual in this forum but feel, I in part, represent a certain type of persons who are active on forums in general. How you treat me may be the new way on how to treat persons who are like me on forums.

That is all.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Drama and exaggeration---that's pretty fun. I do miss some of the members who I don't see posting anymore. Oh well, good bye INTPforum.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Reluctantly.

That's how.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 8:27 AM
-->
I know little about how forums opperate and even less about this one.:eek: I can't help but wonder if I am not much to blame for the recent "This forum is going to hell" thinking. I come to this forum to relax and have a good time and try to express a care free attitude while I'm here (most of the time) but I guess seeing as how most of you older members probably haven't seen how I could be a value to this forum is of no suprise to me. I often fall under the stupid/ignorant category but really I just want a place where I can be around like minded individuals. At this point I am not sure if this is the place or not; I seem to get little responce and even littler respect. I am just one individual in this forum but feel, I in part, represent a certain type of persons who are active on forums in general. How you treat me may be the new way on how to treat persons who are like me on forums.

That is all.

Yup. You guessed it. Tis all your fault that the forum is slipping. It has nothing to anything else. This is on your head buddy.

(Or in it)

Local time
-->
To save the forum is to destroy the inner workings of man. This forum is a heap of lard, of despair, of trash and of the despicable nature of man.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
To save the forum is to destroy the inner workings of man. This forum is a heap of lard, of despair, of trash and of the despicable nature of man.
I will follow you to the ends of the Earth!

... Which has no ends, it's a circle. Also, if you jumped into a live volcano or jumped off a bridge, I'm out. Will we have roadies?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 6:27 AM
-->
I'll save the forum.

But first:

lolcato.jpg

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
It's kind of eerie really when you stumble upon forums on the internet where no one has posted in years. It's kind of like entering a ghost town. But, if we're destined to die, lets go down in glory :elephant:

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
When you reach an active member count of less than 50, then you can say the forum is dying. Less than 10 and it's pretty much dead.

This forum has over 400 active members and therefore is in no way dying.

If people are complaining about the lack of interesting topics being created, why not reactivate some of the older ones, where people appeared to be more intellectually stimulating?

Just search a topic and I'm sure you'll find a plethora of threads created around it. Some of the threads may even answer your query (or generate other ideas to be discussed).

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Where did you get the "400 active members"? Just curious.

I consider an active member to someone who posts daily, even just a post or two. A lot of the stat numbers seem to involve spiders and search engines and such, but core number of regular posters seems to be far less.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Where did you get the "400 active members"? Just curious.

I consider an active member to someone who posts daily, even just a post or two. A lot of the stat numbers seem to involve spiders and search engines and such, but core number of regular posters seems to be far less.

My use of active is different. If there are people logged into the forum, I consider them active.

There is a constant flurry of posts made throughout the 24 hour period. At any one time, there are more than 50 registered members on the forum either reading or writing in threads. There are far more guests browsing topics (and they can't all be spiders).

a forum is dying when there are no new topics being made. I have not seen a decline in thread activity since my return. I see new members have replaced old members. The forum activity is pretty constant. The quality of content is of course open to debate.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
"Also there are tonnes of NiFe cowards trying to seem cold hard smart and rational. They're just little bitches folded by the current intellectual climate, and who seek to fold others who dare waver from their half-baked worldview to bolster their unwarranted sense of intellectual strength."

I only just got here... admittedly I've not always been very gentle in my tone but it's hardly an act. I find it frustrating when people who know the theory but can't see how the functions apply to actual behavior and thinking try to go about saying he and she is this and that type. If you can't do that the MBTI system is just an abstract playground without any connection to reality.

About the topic, I'd say you should try and get a little more people. Compared to other MBTI forums there's definitely something good going on here, just need to get it going on a bit more.

Also the verification codes are a pain in the ass, especially if you have some colorblindness.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When you reach an active member count of less than 50, then you can say the forum is dying. Less than 10 and it's pretty much dead.

This forum has over 400 active members and therefore is in no way dying.

If people are complaining about the lack of interesting topics being created, why not reactivate some of the older ones, where people appeared to be more intellectually stimulating?

Just search a topic and I'm sure you'll find a plethora of threads created around it. Some of the threads may even answer your query (or generate other ideas to be discussed).

I Second. This forum is more active then INTPc and they aren't even complaining of dying yet.

Top Bottom