• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How to spot a psychopath

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:50 PM
-->
I scored a 5 on the inventory, seems healthy:D
I wonder how much more we could have learned if electric shock were still allowed by ethics boards? Oh well there's certainly a reason their banned I guess..

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:20 PM
-->
This is the first time I have read all the way for an article.

I would type Tony as ESTP but could be ENTP.

But then again he could be a charming introvert : IXTP!!

I have heard of real life psychopaths never really met them. They do sound extroverted.

Maybe personality typing should be done through personality disorders. Labelling the personality disorder as an extreme of a personality type.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
Today 1:20 AM
-->
If he looks like this, run.

g_the-side-show-bob-collection-727d2.gif

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:20 PM
-->

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:20 PM
-->
I met one once. He destroyed people's lives like they were used toilet paper, including mine, all the while acting like the most caring person in the world. He was smart, and charming, and good-looking, and absolutely, coldly ruthless, smiling all the while.

I was years getting over what that guy did. I wasn't the only one, either. The awful part is, he is still in a position of power over young people, though he has moved from college to college. People in a position of power acquire the means to defend themselves, especially if they are willing to lie or even let people die to achieve it.

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
Today 5:20 AM
-->
is a psychopath the combination of NPD with AsPD?

a person who may be irreparably delusional with one might 'try' to have the other as well in order to be successful, but fail at it. i've come across a couple of people like that in my life. if they were "psychopaths" then sure if you gave them power they might be a destructive force to reckon with, but unless they're really good at playing society (which might be near impossible due to their circumstances that got them so fucked up in the first place) they'll probably come off mostly like stubborn and evil 5-year olds once you figure them out.

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
Today 6:20 AM
-->
ASPD (anti social) is the new name for psychopath, its the same

narcissists are a bit less destructive than psychpaths. narcissts are closer to superrational, yet with a slight bit of destruction, thus not neutral/superrational actually, but more so than psychopaths

ummidk

Local time
Today 12:20 AM
-->
I liked this

We see Barker in his office, and the look of delight on his face is quite heartbreaking. His psychopaths have become gentle. Some are even telling their parole boards not to consider them for release until after they've completed their therapy. The authorities are astonished.

and

Then I learned that two researchers had in the early 90s undertaken a detailed study of the long-term recidivism rates of psychopaths who'd been through Barker's programme and let out into society. In regular circumstances, 60% of criminal psychopaths released into the outside world go on to reoffend. What percentage of their psychopaths had? As it turned out: 80%.

Lol maybe because they were giving them LSD for 11 day stretches

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->
actually narcissists can be irrational in their inability to conceive the autonomy in other people, leading to where they fuck up their logic

Maybe i'm incorrect in oversimplification, but how i think of it is somewhat like

-narcissist likes to gluttonize his ego by trying to eat people, whether or not it hurts them (tyrant bully more than sadist)

-sociopath likes to hurt people; whether or not it gives him satisfaction by socially mainstream ego-values is irrelevant (sadistic bully more than tyrant)

What would you call someone who only likes to torture narcissists, an inverted sociopath? Or a psychopath who invests, discriminates, waits for the perfect opportunity instead of being wildly morally chaotic?

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
unless they're really good at playing society

Yes, this is exactly where psychopaths excel. That is why so many of them are CEOs and other high-power people. It is scary how good they are at this. I was actually warned about the psychopath I met (my dad saw his handwriting and said I should stay far away from him), but he was so good at appearing compassionate, helpful, and sincere that I walked right into it anyway. By the time I had him figured out, he had already set the stage for blaming me for everything. He permanently ruined several relationships of mine, endangered someone's life, hurt quite a few people, and came out smelling like a rose. Really, really scary.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
I'm always kind of afraid of the possibility of knowing a psychopath without being aware of it. It's one of the reasons I don't really trust people that much and try not to let anyone influence me too much.

I know some people without empathy, but I'm not sure if they're psychopaths, as they mainly just seem to be completely neutral about killing living beings, or even seem to enjoy or be fascinated by dead things... They don't appear to be really manipulative or narcissistic or anything though. What could this be?

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->
I know some people without empathy, but I'm not sure if they're psychopaths, as they mainly just seem to be completely neutral about killing living beings, or even seem to enjoy or be fascinated by dead things... They don't appear to be really manipulative or narcissistic or anything though. What could this be?

PTSD? INTJ? more like just anyone who decided to take a gun to their morality, or had it demolished already

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:20 PM
-->
Just watch for the happy quiet kids playing and torturing their servile pokemon on their mobile game devices - classic hallmark of a psychopath.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
^:D

I wonder if psychopaths are malicious. I mean, do they intend to go around ruining lives for a reason? It's seems a little one sided to simply say the average psychopath does it just for the hell of it.

I have a hard time imagining hurting people without a reason I guess. I understand not caring about people or I can see how some people just don't care if they harm others. I don''t understand going out of your way to and spending lots of energy on hurting people for no reason other than because it's something to do.

Does a psychopath derive pleasure from harming people? What's the motivation here? Or is it different for each one? What is the difference between being a psychopath and a sadist?

:confused:

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:20 PM
-->
^Some might be sadists, but I believe their goal in general is simply to get what they want. This might be a partner who's already married, a job that requires backstabbing, a house that's already lived in, etc. The point of a psychopath is that they don't care what they have to do on their way to their goal - it doesn't affect them except to further pad their (already large) ego. They're not emotionless; they *do* experience happiness, drive, anger etc - but only in relation to themselves (or, occasionally, things they have decided come under the umbrella of their ego, like family).

So while some might experience pleasure directly related to observing other's pain, for psychopaths in general (in absence of other disorders) the pain is simply incidental; collateral on the way to getting what they want. Because they're so absolutely ruthless, having no empathy or conscience beyond the knowledge of norms that helps them not get caught out, there's a whole log of damage, so it might look as if they're out to hurt. But that isn't their goal. Although they *do* like reviewing the effects of their actions and, by surveying the extent of the destruction after they're done, get a sense of their power.

IIRC a lot of the time they're not particularly cunning, in that they don't have a plan mapped out from A to Z. They simply do whatever they want at each point. They spin and spin stories around each person to cover any slip-ups. I read that if you pay attention you can catch some of them in the act - although it's more difficult than the average person because they have no 'tells' (since they don't experience any discomfort with deception) - because the clumsy ones will tack on socially correct phrases and expressions of emotions onto incongruous sentences (describing their ego, or perhaps just after they've expressed happiness), plus their words will often not match their facial expressions or perhaps what their hands are gesturing. The 'normal' things they say don't quite fit because they're not actually natural to them.

I'm not sure if this applies to all or simply the clumsy ones, though I do remember they read Ted Bundy like this.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Okay. So it's a matter of willingness to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want. That I understand. Ruthlessness makes sense. Kind of frightening but makes sense.

Psychopaths have developed an almost mythical status in our society.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Yet another case of trying to mold people to fit society, rather than molding society to fit people.

Psychopaths feel no fear. Nothing inhibits them; they are the true solipsists. They are perfectly suited to all kinds of tasks in society, and if properly managed could make wonderful contributions. The problem is that when we see someone engage in destructive activity, we think "how can we eliminate the cause for this behaviour?" rather than "how can we use this behaviour for constructive means?".

Nietzsche was right, yet again.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
PTSD? INTJ? more like just anyone who decided to take a gun to their morality, or had it demolished already

A really good friend of mine is an INTJ, and she seems to feel quite a lot of empathy.

The people I'm talking about can't have PTSD since they are all still in highschool. I know some have been diagnosed with autism, however. But does autism support killing animals and such?

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 3:20 PM
-->
I have know a few. One was intelligent. The other two were quite the opposite. Nothing more amusing than unintelligent people trying to manipulate you or others.

---

Thinking about it now. I have known some pretty fucked up people that could fall under the category. My brother seems to think I attract them like moths to a flame. :S

SkyWalker

Local time
-->
Psychopaths... They are perfectly suited to all kinds of tasks in society, and if properly managed could make wonderful contributions.

? haha? This is ridiculous?

You probably have never dealt with a real one.

They hate everyone, none has friend status, all have enemy status for them. Their intention is to take you down or take themselves up, both in equal measure, not one of these more important than the other. They will take you down, just for fun. Psychopaths are hardcore motherfuckers!

Pyschopaths are unable to be trapped in rationalities, they break through anything. But narcissists do get trapped in their rationalities.

Narcissists are managable actually, you can make them run for you, they are hard workers and super fast, but it requires extreme focus, if you sleep for 1 second, the narcissist will strike you. Even if you get them to work for you, one day you will have to get rid of them, that will require some effort too. It is usually not worth the focus.

Actually it takes a psychopath to handle a narcisst properly. Psychopaths can slay them instantly, with ease.

Narcissts are vampires that flee from the light (of the truth)

Psychopaths are the daywalkers, the pure blood that can stand in the light of truth, the whole world being against them, in their face, and they still stand.

(Borderliners can be fooled by narcisssts easily, but are pretty good too in slaying narcissts once they are on to them.)

jzono1

Local time
-->
I sometimes fear that I'm a psychopath.

I know if money and status was a valid motivation for me I'd stop at nothing to get there. I care about a select few, the rest... I don't give a damn.

Right now I just want to be left alone. I think society is better off that way. If it served my goals to work my way up through society I would enjoy stepping on people to get what I want in the most efficient way.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
They hate everyone, none has friend status, all have enemy status for them. Their intention is to take you down or take themselves up, both in equal measure, not one of these more important than the other. They will take you down, just for fun. Psychopaths are hardcore motherfuckers!

A lethal weapon ; )

An unstable one of course, you just need to find a way to tame them.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Hey, what's with the INTJ abuse? They can be incredibly empathetic. My INTJ husband just this afternoon picked up on someone's pain that she was trying hard to hide. He asked me to call her (I know her better) because she was in desperate need of someone to listen. He was completely right, and no one else saw it.

INTJs can be wonderful, and the stereotype that says they are emotionless and cold is just wrong.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
^AGREED!

My mother is an INTJ. She has said "I love you" to me maybe twice. She's deeply uncomfortable with showing affection of any sort. However, she'd stop at nothing to keep me fed and warm. There were times when she seemed cold and completely emotionless. However, it's not that she lacks emotion so much as she simply cuts herself off from it. She does not allow herself to feel it because she thinks it makes her weakk or because she knows she is out of her element. I remember once when I was a kid and having some sort of emotional problem she turned to my father and asked him to comfort me because she didn't know what to do. She felt for me but didn't have a clue how to be comforting.

Extreme practicality and being uncomfortable with displays of emotion does not a psychopath make.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Ni seems to be really good at that. NTJs can be incredibly insensitive at times, but other times crazily perceptive. My ENTJ father notices imperceptible changes in the colour and muscle tone of my mum's face that tells him what mood she's in and what emotions are coming up on the horizon and need to be avoided (where the clumsy T comes in is that he ends up causing the problem by hassling her about it - maybe just a self-fulfilling prophecy; but he's right with other people too). None of us can see anything of the sort, and we've all known her a fairly long time too. I think it's a result of Se, being fed into Ni which instantly knows what's going on.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 8:20 AM
-->
Every once in awhile someone using a screen
name I do not recognize will IM me and tell
me that I am a psychopath.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Yet another case of trying to mold people to fit society, rather than molding society to fit people.

Psychopaths feel no fear. Nothing inhibits them; they are the true solipsists. They are perfectly suited to all kinds of tasks in society, and if properly managed could make wonderful contributions. The problem is that when we see someone engage in destructive activity, we think "how can we eliminate the cause for this behaviour?" rather than "how can we use this behaviour for constructive means?".

Nietzsche was right, yet again.

I believe this is correct to a certain degree. Psychopaths of varying ilks have few uses for the concept of "WE'. Their personal identity is the only thing that is real to them and their social personality is a complete fabrication.

They see Others as mere soulless Zombies that are legitimate prey.

Having worked in a prison as a counselor, I had to deal with 'psychopaths' on an intimate level. My conclusion is that there really is no such category as 'psychopathy", but rather that when individuals with generic mental disorders exhibit predatory behavior, it is seen as something unique - when it is not.

Most of those that were considered to be psychopaths were high-functioning Aspergers or could be placed on the autistic/solipsic spectrum at another point. Others labeled as sociopaths, were twisted individuals with histories of extreme sexual and/or physical abuse as children or suffering from addiction or a personality disorder.

In the final analysis, I think it boils done to what use one has for zombies and the concept of "We"...

I mean some of 'Us', HFA, are quite content to use zombies as our audience...

SkyWalker

Local time
-->
I sometimes fear that I'm a psychopath.
I care about a select few, the rest... I don't give a damn.

You are not a psychopath as long as you still care about about at least a select few.

Real psychopaths dont have that select few anymore, that is when things get hardcore.

Raskolnikov

Redshirt
Local time
-->
That article was a good read. Isn't funny how sometimes the most sane, sociable, reasonable, and genuinely nice people can turn out to be the most vile beneath the surface...

Doesn't do much for my chronic cynicism and moderate paranoia.

Artsu said:
They would be suited for very few tasks in society. That is, tasks that are highly controlled/monitored and do not put others in a vulnerable position. It would require too much effort to "put them to good use", and would most likely be economically inefficient, given that there's nothing they do better than most normal people except destroy without conscience. They're not even suitable for the military. The idea that they're these lethal weapons ready to be used by society is romanticized nonsense. They completely lack empathy and remorse, nothing more. How would that be put to good use?

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
They would be suited for very few tasks in society. That is, tasks that are highly controlled/monitored and do not put others in a vulnerable position. It would require too much effort to "put them to good use", and would most likely be economically inefficient, given that there's nothing they do better than most normal people except destroy without conscience. They're not even suitable for the military. The idea that they're these lethal weapons ready to be used by society is romanticized nonsense. They completely lack empathy and remorse, nothing more. How would that be put to good use?
How about professional assassin, like in "Grosse Point Blank"? I'm sure that the CIA could find a few dictators for them to kill, like Gaddafi.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
^Nope. I'd imagine the problem is they are uncontrollable.

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
My sister is a psycopath, actually, I think they call it Antisocial Personality Disorder .
Most everything I have read has hit it right on the money. These are really scary people, If you run across one, get away as soon as possible. They are beyond ruthless, they just don't care.
I am embarassed to have to admit that my sister is a pyscopath.
But, I would feel worse if someone read this thread and did not take it seriously. Be very careful around these types of people.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
My sister is a psycopath, actually, I think they call it Antisocial Personality Disorder .
Most everything I have read has hit it right on the money. These are really scary people, If you run across one, get away as soon as possible. They are beyond ruthless, they just don't care.
I am embarassed to have to admit that my sister is a pyscopath.
But, I would feel worse if someone read this thread and did not take it seriously. Be very careful around these types of people.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, but ASPD is a sociopathy and not a psychopathy. It may seem like a minor distinction but sociopathy is treatable, while psychopathy is not. It is a matter of manipulation of self-image. The psychopath is totally immune to attempts to modify self image...

EDIT: I think that it is important to keep in mind, that it is minds we are speaking of and not actions. Sociopathy and Psychopathy are ways of thinking, not ways of acting. Many more people are murdered by those in emotional fits of rage, than by cold-hearted killers...

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
hey, I appreciate your distinction. I am not sure what my sister is. It dosen't really matter. she will not seek treatment, I figure she is gonna kill somebody soon and then the courts will have to deal with her.
I can tell you right now, she is not treatable-she will telll you there is nothing wrong. She has refused treatment, I tried getting the judge to order a pysc. eval, he thinks she is just a poor little girl(shes 30).
My father used to refer to her as a chamelon. I think she is the devil. I have cut all ties with her for the most part. I run into her every once in a while, I try to be nice for fear of what might happen if I piss her off. I don't want to have to shoot her. But, I will if I have to to save myself. She has Rage issues, when she is in a rage- all you can do is try and survive it.
If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get her committed, without making myself a target in the process, I am open to suggestions.

digital angel

Local time
-->
Yes, this is exactly where psychopaths excel. That is why so many of them are CEOs and other high-power people. It is scary how good they are at this. I was actually warned about the psychopath I met (my dad saw his handwriting and said I should stay far away from him), but he was so good at appearing compassionate, helpful, and sincere that I walked right into it anyway. By the time I had him figured out, he had already set the stage for blaming me for everything. He permanently ruined several relationships of mine, endangered someone's life, hurt quite a few people, and came out smelling like a rose. Really, really scary.

It's VERY scary. Having said that, a qualified professional or two should make the diagnosis.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:20 PM
-->
I am sorry to hear about your sister, but ASPD is a sociopathy and not a psychopathy. It may seem like a minor distinction but sociopathy is treatable, while psychopathy is not. It is a matter of manipulation of self-image. The psychopath is totally immune to attempts to modify self image...

EDIT: I think that it is important to keep in mind, that it is minds we are speaking of and not actions. Sociopathy and Psychopathy are ways of thinking, not ways of acting. Many more people are murdered by those in emotional fits of rage, than by cold-hearted killers...

I have a thought.
I always thought The Sopranos was a good example of the distinction between the two with Tony as ASPD and Paulie as a psychopath. But since you have experience and if you've seen this show, is that a valid distinction?

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It's VERY scary. Having said that, a qualified professional or two should make the diagnosis.

That's true. Perhaps I am wrong and the person I met wasn't a psychopath. He has a degree in psychology, so no doubt he would know better than I.

I do think I'm qualified to say he was destructive and evil and showed no signs of compassion or remorse, yet was able to act like your best friend to get what he wanted. I got more stories later from other people he had hurt, so it wasn't just me. Whatever he was, I hope I don't meet another one.

Col

Greenshirt
Local time
-->
I knew a guy who is a physcopath.. He was very extroverted. At a guess........ (its a difficult one)......

ExTJ

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->
Here's some absolute bullshit that i decided to wildly generalize and take a stab at:

psychopath (the kind in the movies)- INTJ
narcissist- ENTJ
sociopath- ENFJ
borderline- INFJ

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
GYX_Kid said:

Here's some absolute bullshit that i decided to wildly generalize and take a stab at:

You REALLY don't like INTJs, do you? Are you sure the INTJs you were unfortunate enough to meet really were INTJ? And wherever did you meet such awful people?

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->
^ quite the opposite, actually :O

i have some kind of hypothetical ideal about creative/intellectual coldness without the wild extroverted arrogance, and somewhat of a morbid interest in the economics of moral recalibration

i met awful people... around, lol (of mixed types, not many were introverted)

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i have some kind of hypothetical ideal about creative/intellectual coldness without the wild extroverted arrogance, and somewhat of a morbid interest in the economics of moral recalibration

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds fascinating.

Jelly Rev

Local time
-->

narcissist- ENTJ
sociopath- ENFJ
borderline- INFJ

lol lets not exclude ourselves from this stereotyping

Schizoid-INTP
lol

dala

Local time
-->
A big part of that book is about how often people are mislabeled as mentally ill (including ADHD, schizophrenic and psychopathic), and how hard it is to have these labels removed when they turn out to be wrong. The state of mental health diagnoses is just plain awful.

Top Bottom