• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Improving Birth Control

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today 12:37 AM
-->
Several posters on the "(Unprotected) Sex" thread have complained that they or their partners have suffered very unpleasant side effects--including mood swings, cramps, and fatigue--caused by hormonal birth control; barring condoms, withdrawal, cycle timing, or sterilization of one or more partners because such methods are either also unpleasant or insufficiently effective, what workarounds to these problems presently exist, and if none, then what future technology could solve these problems?

-Duxwing

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:07 PM
-->
I once had a housemate who swore by the good ol' punch in the stomach method. I wish I was joking.

Deleted member 1424

Being gay works very well.
Aside from that Essure sterilization seems to be the best, but it is permanent.

pros
-no hormones
-no surgery/anesthesia
-highly effective
-much cheaper over time
-permanent

cons
- 3 month waiting period
- permanent

There's a distinct lack of desirable temporary methods; pretty much everything is either barrier or hormonal (or a giant scary copper iud).

I hear the male pill is now in development. However as a complete tokophobe I would never let myself become vulnerable to a male's negligence or deception in such matters.

Duxwing

Local time
-->
Being gay works very well.
Aside from that Essure sterilization seems to be the best, but it is permanent.

pros
-no hormones
-no surgery/anesthesia
-highly effective
-much cheaper over time
-permanent

cons
- 3 month waiting period
- permanent

There's a distinct lack of desirable temporary methods; pretty much everything is either barrier or hormonal (or a giant scary copper iud).

Darn. We'll need to wait for science to march on, then.

I hear the male pill is now in development. However as a complete tokophobe I would never let myself become vulnerable to a male's negligence or deception in such matters.

Cool! I remember reading that such a pill existed, but I'll go research it now.

-Duxwing

PS Guys don't want to get girls pregnant, either--especially girls whom they love--and they can feel nervous about girls not taking the Pill, too.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:37 AM
-->
PS Guys don't want to get girls pregnant, either--especially girls whom they love--and they can feel nervous about girls not taking the Pill, too.

surely you must want to make a baby with the best girl you can find.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:37 AM
-->
I already know that I sounded stuffy in that last conversation.

-Duxwing

what is this "stuffy" business? i'm not insulting you, just trying to raise an interesting question with minimal verbal energy expenditure and so vaguely that i cannot be blamed if the thread becomes derailed.

duxwing you always sound stuffy and you use many awesome words. i love it. it's not a problem at all. disliking stuffy things is the only real stuffy thing.

Duxwing

Local time
-->
what is this "stuffy" business? i'm not insulting you, just trying to raise an interesting question with minimal verbal energy expenditure and so vaguely that i cannot be blamed if the thread becomes derailed.

Oh, I thought that you were trying to make fun of my intellectualization of sex by comparing my post to evolutionary theory. Derp. But now I understand what you mean: does evolutionary psychology--specifically the hormonal urge to reproduce--influence sexual enjoyment?

The possibilities of that are endless! :)

duxwing you always sound stuffy and you use many awesome words. i love it. it's not a problem at all. disliking stuffy things is the only real stuffy thing.

Wow. D'awww! :) Thanks.

-Duxwing

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
Yesterday 10:37 PM
-->
As someone who has never engaged in the complete act of coitus, I would say the only sure method is to keep the peepee out of the bajingo. I think you can keep plenty satisfied other ways.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
-->
There is one form of IUD (copper) that is non-hormonal. This does not protect against STIs, so you need to be very very careful with each others' sexual histories and get tested periodically.

There's also a form of male birth control in India right now that you can't get in the states, which involves a one-time injection, and persists until you get another injection which restores reproductive function. Besides that, the only effective non-hormonal system is permanent (tubal ligation or vasectomy).

Deleted member 1424

Duxwing, I think you might be a disney princess.

Deleted member 1424

You want to be like the dark knight, don't you duxwing?

MxoinXk.jpg

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:37 PM
-->
Several posters on the "(Unprotected) Sex" thread have complained that they or their partners have suffered very unpleasant side effects--including mood swings, cramps, and fatigue--caused by hormonal birth control; barring condoms, withdrawal, cycle timing, or sterilization of one or more partners because such methods are either also unpleasant or insufficiently effective, what workarounds to these problems presently exist, and if none, then what future technology could solve these problems?

-Duxwing
Anal.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:37 PM
-->
Virtual genitalia.

A one way neural interface can easily be achieved by hijacking other senses, for example you can listen to a surface texture by rubbing a stethoscope on it, indeed that's not unlike how our nerve endings perceive textures through the skin of our fingertips. Furthermore the associative way the brain works can make the artificial stimulation seem real, consider the mirrored hand trick, affecting the illusionary hand can create a false sensation of the actual limb being affected.

So it's possible for paraplegics to have sex by stimulating each other's "virtual genitals" with sensor equipped props and haptic/auditory from those sensors.

tumblr_lqf28wAydd1qabfx1o1_500.gif

INTP on the right, ENFP on the left.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Yesterday 9:37 PM
-->
But now I understand what you mean: does evolutionary psychology--specifically the hormonal urge to reproduce--influence sexual enjoyment?

I think it does moreso as people get older. Maybe. Jill over at jills-thrills.blogspot.com has a lot to say on that and reports both men and women enjoying risky sex. I've only experienced such a thing once. No babies plz.

There is one form of IUD (copper) that is non-hormonal. This does not protect against STIs, so you need to be very very careful with each others' sexual histories and get tested periodically.

Hormonal birth control does not protect against STIs either. I had the copper IUD but it got infected and lodged too high up and I had to get it removed. They said I could have another inserted but my cramps were very painful and there's some lawsuits against both the Mirena and Paragard due to dislodging and complications, so I decided against getting another. I am interested in the frameless IUDs but they are not available through most insurance yet.

Virtual genitalia.

So it's possible for paraplegics to have sex by stimulating each other's "virtual genitals" with sensor equipped props and haptic/auditory from those sensors.
Have you seen the RealTouch interactive devices? I think they're a game changer. They're working on some that are two-way (truly interactive) and they have both software and remote devices to control the hardware. I wanna get in on programming it. They have a SDK open to the public. ^__^ There's got to be a way to make it a feedback loop based on vitals, etc.

Top Bottom