• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP Types and Marketing

Inferno

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 7:29 PM
-->
I'm new here and recently found out I have an INTP personality as of two weeks ago.

I have taken the MBTI test online, again and again. I have taken other personality tests in which the results are identical to the INTP profile so I have no doubts I am an INTP.

Is it odd that I want to work in Marketing?

I read that INTP's aren't a good match for marketing jobs but I want to work in Marketing Research Analysis. I know I'm not a people person and I hate giving presentations, but wouldn't those types of jobs be ideal for someone who prefers autonomy?

I've taken several marketing courses in college and I received my highest grades in those specific courses and loved doing research.

Do you know any INTP types who work in Marketing?

*Sorry, I didn't see that there was a forum for school and work to have posted this in.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 1:29 AM
-->
Um, I work as a marketing analyst, or well, I am employed as one, don't really do entirely too much work to tell you the truth :D
Anyway, the job itself can be kinda interesting if done right. Although, I despise the idea of marketing as a whole,but I guess that's besides the point.
Anyway, my biggest problem with the job, are the other people who work in marketing :slashnew: The field seems to be reserved for self-obsessed pompous pricks who never got enough love from mommy or something, so now they spend their lives trying to get people to pat them on the back and tell them what good boys they are. It is quite embarrassing to be around that kind of thing.
I'm not entirely sure if this helps you :confused: If you have any questions, feel free to ask

PhillyFanWA

Local time
Today 12:29 AM
-->
Hi. I'm in market research, which falls into marketing as a whole. In general I'm really good at the processing and operations (finding new ways of doing things better) than managing projects and people. And, yes I generally don't do much work overall. I can get things done really fast during crunch time, I just have to focus on not missing deadlines.

However I do find marketing/consumer theories interesting and useful. Testing the theories out or finding new ones in the real world is actually what drives me. I love seeing the big picture, but I'm really bad producing actionable insights.

Hope this helps and good luck with your career.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 5:29 PM
-->
If you actually are an INTP then you probably will hate most marketing jobs, at least the ones I've seen in the real world. Possibly you could find a marketing analysis niche, but you'd have to hob-nob with the other marketeers and management nonetheless.

Iamagenius

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've been working in marketing for 15+ years and just assessed as INTP. I love marketing. I also have a psychology qualification. I don't think you can extrapolate type to jobs. Use intp as a guide to how you interact with others, not what you should do.

manishboy

Local time
-->
When I was in my 20's I thought I wanted to work in sales. I was actually pretty good at it, at least for as long as the excitement held out. It didn't take long before I jumped ship.

Since then, I've worked with a variety of marketing and sales folks, and the best I can say about any of them is that they are tolerable. For most, I quickly develop a strong dislike.

You'll never know whether it's a good fit until you try it for a while. You're young and mistakes are part of the game.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:29 PM
-->
The key is in the description of what you want to do: marketing research ANALYSIS. That's a big INTP favorite.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
Today 1:29 AM
-->
I'm an INTP and extremely interested in Marketing. I've even applied for a Digital Marketing Master (wish me luck guys :D ). It's a good INTP match from where I see it. It's a field that keeps changing and innovating. There are many variables that you need to manage and implement. It often calls for creative thinking and original ideas. Besides you get to influence people without coming in direct contact with them :D

The marketing analyst jobs have always sounded boring to me. I want to be the creative drive behind a product/service. I wanna be the designer, the marketing strategist, the campaign creator, etc. Plus, I've been into contact with enough of those people to pick up on a few of their qualities, skills and ways of thinking. I find it very useful in my work. I'm only ever worried if I'll be able to finish such a project *sigh*

FATBOY

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 4:29 PM
-->
[...]

Is it odd that I want to work in Marketing?

I read that INTP's aren't a good match for marketing jobs [...]

I don't know. I spent my whole life doing mostly sales, and then in the last 3 years I've had 6 different jobs in 4 completely different industries. One of my jobs involved helping a guy build up his marketing company. I pretty much did everything there except pay the bills.

By the way, I am an INTP, and have known for about 6 years. At the time I found out, I had only had 1 career, 1 job. When I burned out from that job, I started looking at psychology and spirituality.

Anyways, fast forward 6 years, 10 jobs, 5 industries, getting fired a few times (all INTP traits I think) and I've decided to start my own marketing company.

There's really nothing else I can do. If there's any job I end up liking, soon after I tend to get fired.

It's a combination of my just enjoying doing whatever I want to do. My last boss even told me that "hey, maybe it's not the best idea to always be doing whatever you wanted to do."

I don't know if that's an INTP trait or just my own unique self-entitledness going on. But I know I'm not alone in this world.

That's what an entrepreneur is: someone who doesn't like being told what to do.

It's not like I'm lazy. I'm always first in, last out. I'm competitive. I win. That's how I succeeded in sales.

There's an incredible paradigm shift occurring in the marketing world now-- the big shift to digital.

I mean, Google started it all back in 2001. But "marketing" in the traditional sense has always been controlled by people-- now it is controlled by algorithms.

Now buying ads, the whole process, is so transparent and democratized that almost anyone can figure it out;

Additionally, you could get started with a $10 budget. Go ahead, try it on Facebook. It's a little more complicated for Google Adwords, but still simple as hell if you care to spend a day figuring it out.

Google reps will even walk you through the process over the phone, for free.

So back to this paradigm shift-- of the majority of marketing dollars moving to digital: it's empowered a new industry of "digital marketing consultants" to freelance and be their own boss.

This is because every business needs marketing and knows people are looking on Google first, or Yelp.

Now, with the availability of cheap and free tools, software-- starting and running your own digital marketing agency is easier than ever.

In the past-- the "marketer" was more of a salesman-- selling ad space.

NOW-- your average "marketer" is a "digital marketer." The average digital marketer, well not average-- let's say the ones that have the skills that can make a business successful, those would be-- WRITING!!!

WRITING!?

Yup. I'd bet that WRITING, creative writing, will be at the top of most agency's lists as far as characteristics of good digital marketing consultants go.

This is a new trend. This is because of the new trend of INBOUND MARKETING.

It's not so much "new," per se, it's always been there. People are just now starting to catch on.

Google has always promoted good content. It's just that it took their algorithm a while to catch up to what their vision was. And now, the Google search algorithm is pretty close to modeling (crowdsourcing) on a mass level human intent and behavior.

So is it weird you want to get into marketing?

No, I'd say now is the perfect time.

[...]
Anyway, my biggest problem with the job, are the other people who work in marketing :slashnew: The field seems to be reserved for self-obsessed pompous pricks who never got enough love from mommy or something, so now they spend their lives trying to get people to pat them on the back and tell them what good boys they are. [...]

This is true, but I think it's getting flipped on its head with the emergence of "digital marketing."

Internet Marketing

This.

Malene

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I know it's an old post, but I hope it's ok to respond to it anyway. (My first post in here)

I'm an ITNP and have an online marketing agency. Sounds fancy, but it's just myself, occasionally collaborating with other agencies. Marketing, especially online marketing, is a great venue for INTPs, I think. Because most marketeers don't know what the hell they are doing. There is so much territory to map out, and yet it seems as if most marketing agencies simply plow through it without direction.

There is a great need for new theories on how to navigate the digital landscape. The marketing department of businesses used to be one step ahead of their customers. Today they struggle to keep up. There are many problems to solve, strategies to make and concepts to develop! Finding the right paths and do what works.

Also, online marketing covers a huge area of interdependent disciplines. Most marketeers settle for being good in one disciplin, like websites or adwords. But it is easy to learn the basics of a disciplin and then either go down into the really nerdy stuff or venture into another disciplin. And most of it is learning by doing or by studying it on your own. There are tutorials for just about everything, so there really are no barriers to entry in this area.

In other words: There is a need for new theories. There are many areas to digest and disciplins to study. And you'll never get bored. Also, it pays well, if you are good at it. Which means you can work less and have time to work on that marketing theory book or just sit and think.

2babylon

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 6:29 PM
-->
idk if they're INTPs, but I know lots of young people nowadays are in marketing... seems like anybody can go into marketing.

whether they enjoy it, I dunno. lots of people hate their jobs.

I couldn't do it... hate marketing. Hate everything it stands for.

Top Bottom