• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP with BPD

sciencegirl

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
Hello.

Are there any INTPs with Borderline Personality Disorder on here?
I'm finding everything to be a total nightmare. :eek:

Artifice Orisit

does a little research...

Possibly the combination of going through physical/emotional duress and being an INTP is resulting in mind warping thought patterns and emotional instability.
So to answer your question, yes I believe it is highly common for INTPs.

My advice, form personal experience.
-Find plenty of quiet time to relax & organise your thoughts.
-Avoid high stimulation media such as excessive drama or violence.
-Attempt to self actualise your identity, who do you think you are?

There are a lot of smart people here, I'm sure somebody else knows more about this than me.

Bluey

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:14 AM
-->
*also does a little research*.... my friend suggested that I may be bipolar but yeah after reading that I think I do have BPD.... yes everthing is a total nightmare. In the morning I may be happy, one hour later Me= depressed (what's the point to life?), another hour later I'm hyper and spitting out nonsense all over the place. Typical days for me :D :( :? ;/ :(. It exhausts my energy. Maybe it's because the intp-ness is an intresting combination with too many condratictions....maaybe? But what also really drives me crazy is not being able to come to conclusions or decisions for myself.... n+p

QSR

Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
Anyone with borderline personality disorder needs to see a psychiatrist asap. Bluey you're talking about bipolar disorder, and the same advice goes to you as well.

A typical depressive INTP will have longer moods that take several days. We'll be happy for a few days then malaise sets in, then another good day or two. No big sudden ups and downs.

dwags222

Local time
-->
i dont know if i was ever bpd, but i was really depressed for like 3 years at the end of highschool and beginning of college. the way to stop it is to pinpoint whichever desire it is that is being unfulfilled and making you depressed and realising that not fulfilling that desire really isn't a good reason to be depressed. of course, i was very idealistic so it took me a long time to realize that not being able to fulfill that desire really wasn't a good reason to be depressed.

i think intp's have a tendency to remain caught up in whatever belief/desire is making them depressed. it is really just a matter of ordering your priorities and learning to view life as it really is, and not from the easily warped and overly/falsely analyzed prespective of the young or inexperienced or overly detatched intp.

somewhere along the line, if you want to be a healthy person, you will have to learn that there are certain weaknesses about being an intp, and you will have to find ways to correct those weaknesses.

Bluey

Redshirt
Local time
-->
What? a psychiatrist? I'm completely fine. *takes out drugs*

seriously jk. I'm a very straitlaced, asian INTP, No drugs for me.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Everything Cognisant says makes sense. I would add one thing, though: find an activity that you can just disappear into. Art of reading or videogames or anything-- as long as it lets you relax and reorganise your thoughts, it's a good thing. Something that helps you express your thoughts might be best, but anything that seems to help is good.

If you think it will help, and if you have someone around you whom you trust, talk about anything that's bothering you as well. I can't bring myself to do this, which is one of the reasons why I'm as screwed up as I am-- bottling it all up inside is not good for you. Not in the least. If there's no-one around you whom you feel comfortable talking to, and you can manage it, then a psychologist could be a good idea-- it might be easier to talk to a stranger than to someone you know and who has an opinion of you. (Not a psychiatrist. Their jobs are to drug you.)

As for BPD itself? No, I don't think I have it. I'm a garden-variety depressive INTP as QSR described it-- good for a few days, bad for a little longer.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 1:14 AM
-->
Not knowing the specifics, I would be very cautious about accepting a diagnosis of "borderline personality disorder". It is a condition that is a lot rarer than diagnosis for it are.

It is in the wrong cluster (dramatic) for an INTP, of course there are exceptions to every rule. As a group we tend more to the eccentric cluster of personality disorders: Schizoid, Schizotypal etc.

Local time
-->
What helps me deal with mood swings is to consciously acknowledge the fact that I'm going through an emotional phase. Even as you are feeling emotions, try to use your INTP logic to understand them as EMOTIONS, that come and go. Know that it is all in your head, and that what seems to be a nightmare is not reality, only your subjective interpretation of it. Then you can figure out the next step.

inquiringF

Banned
Local time
-->
My type is INTJ, and I impede emotions to remit any sinewy feelings which amass with feasible potential of becoming an tribulation for my uniformity. My susceptibility to emotions is not detrimental, but it I am not impervious to emotions, as are no humans.

Artifice Orisit

Yes the nastly little buggers just don't go away, do they?

Bluey

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Actually I take back what I said about being BPD.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
Yesterday 11:14 PM
-->
It is in the wrong cluster (dramatic) for an INTP, of course there are exceptions to every rule. As a group we tend more to the eccentric cluster of personality disorders: Schizoid, Schizotypal etc.
Interesting observation.

amaranth

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've been diagnosed with bipolar and am an INTP.. The two seem to get along quite harmoniously! :D

I don't take medication or anything, just have made peace with my eccentricity... "Creativity disease".. whatever it is. I don't even take it very seriously, yet it can describe me. I don't believe most mental illness is true illness though, usually more of a maladjustment to the mainstream system of society for most people.. As it seems to me when a lot of people try to box you in or you refuse to conform to their ideals of "normal" or go along with peer pressure, and the world wants you to act a certain way rather than true to your own nature, they love to label you mentally ill or "abnormal" in some way. Then just trying to fit in to or deal with this nonsense has the potential to make someone lose their mind, so to speak! (Ex: I'm very introverted.. therefore antisocial.. and most people think that means something's wrong with me... just because I don't get anything out of the same activities they do and have no desire to do the things they value as most important.)

INTP's are crap at obedience and routine, not to mention kissing ass and conforming, which are qualities so detrimental to our society. Therefore it seems we have the potential to get labeled with some "abnormality" or another.. Mental illness not the least of them as often simple eccentrics are accidentally thrown into the mix with the rest of the "crazies".

As you know we live in a society of sheep and differences are not esteemed or encouraged to prosper..

We are about 1% of the population after all.

I also suspect some people are jealous of us. Jealous of our total lack of obedience. Because they feel they have to pay because they conform and betray themselves which we simply refuse to, I suspect they try to take it out on us.

(It's like how some people get mad at you for telling them the income tax is unconstitutional and that you don't pay it. They get mad at YOU, not the government, because they are upset they follow the corrupt rules and you do not.)

dwags222

Local time
-->
It's like how some people get mad at you for telling them the income tax is unconstitutional and that you don't pay it. They get mad at YOU, not the government, because they are upset they follow the corrupt rules and you do not.

i am that person who gets mad. there is nothing corrupt about taxes. people who don't pay taxes are idiots and should be deported.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Probably ought to take this to the politics thread, but why do you think income tax is unconstitutional? I certainly don't like it, but governments have the power to tax in any case.

amaranth

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I like Cognisant's answer:

"Possibly the combination of going through physical/emotional duress and being an INTP is resulting in mind warping thought patterns and emotional instability."

You hit the nail on the head, my dear.

INTP's also don't handle well the social drama that others love I don't think. Psychological abuse, arguing.. just the common DRAMA. I really think we aren't so good at handling it as others; we need a peaceful base from which to play in our thoughts and thrive. We desperately need peace of mind and can't get it when in the wrong environment. We also desperately need rationality, and so many are ruled by their emotions, and act totally irrational, therefore so frustrating for us to deal with.

Also Sagewolf:

"Everything Cognisant says makes sense. I would add one thing, though: find an activity that you can just disappear into. Art of reading or videogames or anything-- as long as it lets you relax and reorganise your thoughts, it's a good thing."

Online roleplaying games are one thing I like.. they can really do the job to help me relax, de-stress, forget all my problems, and exercise my mind all at once. Like a cross between a good book, a game, and an art form if you do it right.

"I can't bring myself to do this, which is one of the reasons why I'm as screwed up as I am-- bottling it all up inside is not good for you. Not in the least. If there's no-one around you whom you feel comfortable talking to, and you can manage it, then a psychologist could be a good idea-- it might be easier to talk to a stranger than to someone you know and who has an opinion of you. (Not a psychiatrist. Their jobs are to drug you.)"

I personally never found it easy to talk to a stranger who is only listening to me because they're getting paid for it. That never felt genuine to me, so I was never comfortable opening up to the psychs and never trusted them. I would just lie to them and say whatever.. It was a game to me. I would rather talk to an understanding friend, but those are sometimes in short supply. Such is life!

I would say go find a stranger online at a social networking site.. something who is good at listening and talk to them... you get anonymity yet caring together in one that way. Also, writing in a journal helps.

amaranth

Redshirt
Local time
-->
dwags and Ermine, I take it you never saw Aaron Russo's "America: Freedom to Fascism"? That's a good place to start. After you watch that, here's something else you can watch:

Theft By Deception - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax:
Theft By Deception - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

I'm not going to get much more into it than this because I didn't come on here to argue about income tax.

Anyway, I don't believe in income tax. As a free citizen I have a right to my own beliefs and to oppose the things I am against. There are plenty of other taxes and they are more than enough to pay for the things society needs. There is also such a thing called voluntary charity.. in which a person can donate specifically as much money as they like to whatever area/s they see fit.

That seems to me a lot more efficient anyway than paying a government to supposedly spend and waste my money on things I am against.

It is my right to disagree with the government's way of doing things.. whether you like it or not. If you value your own freedom, you should respect my freedom to disagree in any way I choose. If you think income tax is a positive and lawful thing, fine. But please respect my right to disagree.

And bullying tactics don't work on me.. So if your comeback is "but they'll throw you in jail", etc etc... please keep it to yourself. I don't do things especially when someone just tries to bully me into it for no good reason. I thought that was supposed to be one of the defining traits of an INTP.

The government was supposed to be a tool of the people/society, or so I thought.. so why are we allowing them to essentially steal from us involuntarily? Income tax is a tool of enslavement.

Just please educate yourself (watch that movie, etc), and if you still disagree, fine. But leave me my right to my own opinion.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
Who has an income to tax these days?

lol.

:sigh:

QSR

Local time
-->
Amaranth that's totally off-topic, but you obviously have no understanding of the concept of social contract.

Local time
-->
a few people have said i am Bipolar.

in half an hour i could be miserable, deep in thought, happy...

Local time
-->
are online 'are you bipolar' tests to be believed?

i scored 44, 50 being serious.

Local time
-->
...internet says i am suffering Teenage Depression. Oh Fuck

Black Pat

Local time
-->
If by "personality disorder" you mean "moody", then sure. I'm "moody"; that's why they call me "Black Pat" (where "black" is describing these moods that I apparently get into for "no reason"; of course every INTP here knows the reason!)

It has been said quite well on this thread already; the moods come and go. Once you've been through a few cycles of terrible and destructive moods, you begin to see yourself going down the road and are more able to 1) forgive yourself for it and thus 2) let yourself relax with the world as it is.

You're no less an INTP, but your thoughts get crisper when you stop wasting energy...

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Both bipolar and clinical depression runs strongly on my mother's side of the family. (My dad's side just have short tempers.)
My mother pesters me about the "dark moods" I get into, and she presses me to see a psychiatrist, but...as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, I don't want to talk to someone who is getting paid to listen. I don't care if they're "sincere" or whatever they're trained to pretend.
Sometimes I get some of my best inspiration from my darkest hours. My thoughts definitely feel ehm...sharper? than they do otherwise. But sometimes my moods shift too rapidly for me to take advantage of that. ):
In my opinion, almost everyone could be diagnosed with at least a mild case of some psychological disorder. I'm learning how to manage mine without drugs or whatever (much to my mother's dismay) because I have the feeling that I can. My mum doesn't see it that way though. She says I should see a psychiatrist (like her) or go to group therapy (like her) so that I can be happier (like she wants to be).
But there's a difference between "happy" and "content". I feel content most of the time, even though my "default" mood does tend to tilt toward melancholy. Just because the majority of the population would rather be happy and peppy doesn't mean I want to be. Happiness is nice, but I like the bittersweet sadness.

QSR

Local time
-->
Can we all agree that we're basically moody?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Can we all agree that we're basically moody?

Yes, but I'm older than 50 so it allows me to fulfill the archetype of the "Old Grouch"

Bluey

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Well I was kinda depressed last year but then I realized I should stop complaining I have a great life, not in a third world country or anything so now I'm a lot...happier? no, more like content I guess. Just not as sad

Local time
-->
but it is because you should have a good life that you are depressed. third-worlders haven't desire for such things as we for they know not of their existence. it is when whitey goes over telling them how great we have it they get upset. would you want and iPod (hypothetically) if you didn't know it existed?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
But there's a difference between "happy" and "content". I feel content most of the time, even though my "default" mood does tend to tilt toward melancholy. Just because the majority of the population would rather be happy and peppy doesn't mean I want to be. Happiness is nice, but I like the bittersweet sadness.
I completely agree...

I feel more at home in a melancholy state than any other. It is my own type of "happiness" per se, though not what is typically considered happy. In fact, I often become fatigue from being what is usually considered "happy" for too long. I start to crave that feeling of bittersweet sadness more and more...

dwags222

Local time
-->
there should be two separate definitions of happiness, because as it is commonly used there is happiness the emotion (i am hapy right now) and happiness the state of mind (i am happy generally), but they are two different things.

Local time
-->
true, dwags, true...

....now i shall consider this.

nexus

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My advice, form personal experience.
-Find plenty of quiet time to relax & organise your thoughts.
-Avoid high stimulation media such as excessive drama or violence.
-Attempt to self actualise your identity, who do you think you are?

created an account to say thank you, thank you.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
This is one of the threads that brought me over to INTPf. The thread perhaps.
Mm. I was really fucked up in ninth grade, as some here might remember.

There's a difference between being a young teen and being a developed adult though; I for one managed to "grow out of" my more extreme issues. But it was really intense and very real when I did go through it. I can sum it up if anyone wants. I wonder if any other young kiddos are dissecting the web trying to figure themselves out and stumbling here. Hello.

I'm much better now.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
This is one of the threads that brought me over to INTPf. The thread perhaps.
Mm. I was really fucked up in ninth grade, as some here might remember.

There's a difference between being a young teen and being a developed adult though; I for one managed to "grow out of" my more extreme issues. But it was really intense and very real when I did go through it. I can sum it up if anyone wants. I wonder if any other young kiddos are dissecting the web trying to figure themselves out and stumbling here. Hello.

I'm much better now.

That is why people, especially youth, should leave the diagnosing of mental illness to the professionals.

Don't diagnose yourself people.

RunForWord

Developing INTP
Local time
-->
That is why people, especially youth, should leave the diagnosing of mental illness to the professionals.

Don't diagnose yourself people.

Until an intp is diagnosed with aspergers and lives their whole life thinking there is something "wrong" with them. Not saying categorizing abnormalities is bad but it can also put people into a box and make them feel like they can never get out when in reality they just need to get out more

Top Bottom