• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP worst fear: Dancing.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 1:43 AM
-->
I'm not sure if the line dancing you are all talking about is what I have in mind, which is kind of like a group of people all dancing the same steps in tune to the music. If so, I have a theory that it is popular at least in part because it's a kind of bonding, which fits in with another theory I have that we have a built-in genetic inclination to want to work with others in small groups. Obviously some of us have less of that desire than others, but it's kind of a useful thing for evolution.
Maybe the same thing with music. I attended a history event at which a group of drummers and fifers was jamming with old Celtic music, not polite stuff but wild music that set my heart on fire. It was positively tribal. I think line dancing is a watered-down version of that. It seems like every generation has some form of it, too, from the Virginia Reel back in the 1800s to the Stroll in the 1950s to all the variations going on now.
Unless this isn't line dancing any more. In which case ignore everything I just said. :-):)
I find that "line dancing" great to watch but how do they do it? I couldn't possibly memorize all those steps especially when one misstep screws everything up! How would they ever get enough practice in to get them started learning? In other words, line dancing is impossible to happen.

Adamastor

Local time
Today 2:43 AM
-->
I don't know how to dance.

I tried a few times before and still I can't understand why someone would enjoy it. Maybe I could understand the pleasure as a form of art or an sport, anyway it wouldn't come through me (for now).

If I can't dance for pleasure, then...

I guess I am just looking for a purpose, I wouldn't mind taking dance classes (unlikely, but o well). Hopefully, someday, this could come and help me not embarass myself when I am actually needed to dance.

P.S: I found amusing the fact of how many of you guys danced. It was kinda understandable take many share the common notion of shyness, the uncomfortable feeling of it, but somehow resigned themselves to accept it, but I am interested in those actually enjoy it, I mean the first type sees it like just another social occasion, the other as something more, or that is just me?

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:43 PM
-->
i like dancing, I finish my glass, let the imagination and thoughts run into the music. As the night gets wilder, my dancing loses its entire sanity. I turn into a dork. But my friends dance crazy too so its all good. :)

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
Today 12:43 AM
-->
i don't fear dancing. i think mocking 60's and 80's club dancing is the most fun thing to do at a party.

ohrtonz

Local time
-->
If you're concentrating on making your arm move a certain way, etc. Or do certain things in a certain order to give a certain visual effect to an observer. Then that is entertainment for others and not yourself. Feel the music. Flail about do whatever it makes you do. Have fun. I never understood what is means for someone to say "you can't dance" because I thought dancing was for the enjoyment of the dancer.

Doodle

Local time
Today 6:43 AM
-->
I love dancing! I love going to raves and dancing in clubs, its part of what keeps me sane. It allows me to release all my negative energy and its the only time my thoughts are silenced/i pay no attention to them.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
-->
I realize that most of this thread is well over a year old, but I can't help but laugh at everyone talking about expressing their Fe through dancing. Sure, Fe makes us want to physically express the emotion we derive from music, but dancing (especially club dancing) is far and away an Se activity.

Sorry, but if I want to exercise my Se, I'll go play soccer or something.

That being said, I certainly respect/envy people like this or this, who have clearly put a lot of effort into their craft.

Jelly Rev

Local time
-->
Dancing is fun as can be. There have been many instances when I start dancing and get everyone else to dance,
It's a social energy based activity, not a social small talk exercise so it's much more enjoyable. Dancing also seems to energize me, allowing me to small talk more efficently when the time comes.

I have no problems throwing a party either, my living space will go from a complete mess to hospital sterile to accomodate these guest. My living space will also be arranged in a way that knows how people will congregate, taking into account the shape of the room, what activities are going on in that room, etc.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Dancing is more or less foreplay to me; while I enjoy the sensual aspects of the tango, I realize it's a segue to a sweeter fruit.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
I love it. I don't know what I'm doing half the time, and struggle to dance with women, in mating ritual dances. So I dance by myself. It's really fun.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 10:43 PM
-->

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
I would not be so bad at dancing if I ever just took the time to learn different club dances. If I knew I was prepared and knew what to do, I would most likely be fine with it. The whole 'WTF do I do' is quite...paralyzing.

Roran

The Original Nerdy Gangsta
Local time
-->
I find that "line dancing" great to watch but how do they do it? I couldn't possibly memorize all those steps especially when one misstep screws everything up! How would they ever get enough practice in to get them started learning? In other words, line dancing is impossible to happen.

Line dancing isn't as hard as you seem to think it is. I had to take a class where we learned line dances in 5th grade and they were not all that difficult. Either it's not hard to line dance or I'm awesome at line dancing.

Water Witch

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 10:43 PM
-->
I love to dance. I used to go to clubs and parties all the time just to do that. For the whole night. I was always really energized by it. I didn't want to meet anyone, talk to them, pass out my number, etc. I just wanted to dance and would say yes to just about any guy that asked me. I drew the line at slow dancing...that was my rest period.

I don't go out anymore but I'll dance at home. I hope to be 80 years old and still able to bust a move!

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 7:43 AM
-->
I love to dance. I used to go to clubs and parties all the time just to do that. For the whole night. I was always really energized by it. I didn't want to meet anyone, talk to them, pass out my number, etc. I just wanted to dance and would say yes to just about any guy that asked me. I drew the line at slow dancing...that was my rest period.

I don't go out anymore but I'll dance at home. I hope to be 80 years old and still able to bust a move!
If you like to dance, I think you should do it, anywhere, anytime. It's really rare to see someone do something they like at completely random occasions. I like that. It doesn't have to be dancing, it could be anything.

Twin Peaks Audrey'sDance - YouTube

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
^ YES! Twin Peaks! I'm on the second series at the moment - so cool. (:

*ahem*

I really don't enjoy clubs. If I wanted to find one place to feel most ashamed of myself then it would be a club, unfortunately, as a sensation I don't actively pursue, I find myself in clubs very rarely ^_^

People harass me about this every now and again, but it's something about myself I've come to accept, I have no desire to better adapt myself to a club environment as there's just nothing about it that I'm attracted to (except for the occasional interesting venue friends want to go to.)

I have nothing against dancing, I'm a terrible dancer as I'm generally quite detached/ unaware of my body, but only if I'm alone or with a person/ a few people I trust (and they're happy to guide me.) Honestly, I even remember refusing to join in this dance game for the Wii once, it's just something I can't do on display to a group and feel comfortable about.

Oedipus

Jerk
Local time
-->
I have to do ballroom/ceilidh dancing in P.E. I don't enjoy it, but I prefer it to "club" dancing.

Affinity

Local time
Yesterday 11:43 PM
-->
I started dancing when I entered the rave scene as well. My style is mainly based off liquid which I mix up a bit with tutting and popping. And if dnb is playing, x-outting. Its one thing to listen to music but it's a complete blast to be able to dance the night away.

Top Bottom