• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPf Lord of the Flies

Nebulous

Local time
Today 4:13 AM
-->
How would it play out if the members of INTPf were stranded on the island from Lord of the Flies?

deathvirtuoso

Local time
Today 4:13 PM
-->
I doubt any of us will kill each other, though we may get into fights/heated arguments. Also, I think I'll end up sticking close to you.

Who's your favorite character?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 8:13 AM
-->
I doubt any of us will kill each other

I disagree. It would be a bloody blood bath... and I'd be the one bathing in it.

Ha, I could imagine us all now.

Would make for an epic story, someone should write it up.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
...Dibs on playing the Smoke Monster!

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Ralph
When he and the others arrive on the island, Ralph quickly becomes the chief of the group, not by any harsh, overt, or physical action, but by being elected. Ralph is described as having "the directness of genuine leadership".

Ralph's first big decision is that they have "got to decide if this is an island". After Ralph, Jack, and Simon discover that they are truly "on an uninhabited island"Ralph suggests that a fire be lit because "if a ship comes near the island they may not notice us". However, towards the end of the book he forgets the initial reason for maintaining the fire. This is representative of the debilitating effects corruption has on even the most benevolent of men. Ralph may seem to mean well, but often his obsession with being popular overcomes him and he resorts to bullying Piggy to regain his power. Therefore, Ralph can be understood to symbolize mankind's optimistic ambition to self-govern despite its historical record of failure and abuse of power. Still, in the midst of all the island's chaos, Ralph has a tendency to be polite, selfless and logical in the tensest of moments; for example, when the children are obliged to investigate Castle Rock, Ralph takes the lead despite being afraid of "the beast". Ralph is sometimes perceived as partially being a literary tool to aid the audience's realisation of inner evil throughout the duration of the novel; "Ralph wept for the end of innocence".

Just as mankind has demonstrated its limitations in effective self-governing, Ralph embodies good intentions in the implementation of reason, but ultimately fails to execute these plans soundly. Ralph's refusal to resort to violence throughout the novel is counterpoised by Jack's inherent love of violence.

Piggy
Piggy has poor eyesight and asthma and is overweight.[12] He is the most physically vulnerable of all the boys but he is the most intellectual of the boys, frequently appealing to reason. By frequently quoting his aunt, he provides the only female voice.

Piggy has been described as "the only adult-type figure on the island".[13] His intellect benefits the group only through Ralph; he acts as Ralph's adviser. He cannot be the leader himself because he lacks leadership qualities and has no rapport with the other boys. Piggy relies on the power of social convention. He believes that holding the conch gives him the right to be heard. He believes that upholding social conventions produces results.

Piggy asserts that "Life ... is scientific".[14] Ever the pragmatist, Piggy complains, "What good're you doing talking like that?"[15] when Ralph brings up the highly charged issue of Simon's death at their hands. Piggy tries to keep life scientific despite the incident, "searching for a formula"[16] to explain the death. He asserts that the assault on Simon was an accident, and justifiable because Simon asked for it by inexplicably crawling out of the forest into the ring.[16]

Piggy is so intent on preserving some remnant of civilization on the island that, after Jack's tribe attacks Ralph's group, he assumes they "wanted the conch",[17] when, in fact, they have come for Piggy's glasses[17] in order to make fire. Even up to the moment of his death, Piggy's perspective does not shift in response to the reality of their situation. Because his eminently intellectual approach to life is modelled on the attitudes and rules of the authoritative adult world, he thinks everyone should share his values and attitudes as a matter of course. When Ralph and Piggy confront Jack's tribe about the stolen spectacles, Piggy asks "Which is better—to have rules and agree, or to hunt and kill? ... law and rescue, or hunting and breaking things up?"[18] as if there is no doubt that the boys would choose his preference.

The Conch
When first blown, it calls the children to an assembly, where Ralph is elected leader. They agree that only the boy holding the conch may speak at meetings to forestall arguments and chaos, and that it should be passed around to those who wish to voice their opinion. The conch symbolises effective democracy and, like Ralph, civility and order within the group. When Piggy is killed, the conch is smashed into pieces,[18] signalling the end of order and the onset of chaos.[citation needed] Originally the conch is portrayed as being very vibrant and colourful, but as the novel progresses, its colours begin to fade, the same way society begins to fade on the island.

Jack Merridew
Jack epitomises the worst aspects of human nature when unrepressed or un-tempered by society. Like Ralph, Jack is a natural leader. Unlike Ralph, Jack appeals to more primal desires in the children and relies on his status as leader of the choirboys to justify his authority. Although his way of behaving is neither disruptive nor violent at the beginning of the book, he does, at that time, express an unquenchable desire to hunt and kill a pig and spends hours in solitude traversing the island.

Beginning with his self nomination as hunter, Jack eventually degenerates into the beast he is consumed with slaying. The first time Jack has an opportunity to kill a pig, he cannot, "because of the enormity of the knife descending and cutting into living flesh; because of the unbearable blood".[19] After this hesitation, for which he is most ashamed, Jack's blood lust grows more and more irrational, to the point where he abandons the fire (and causes the boys to miss a potential rescue) in order to hunt. During Jack's metamorphosis, he begins to paint his face with clay and earth, masking his humanity from the pigs and inspiring terrible awe amongst the boys.

Jack's transition puts him on a collision course with Ralph's elected authority. As Jack leaves and takes the majority of the boys with him, lured by the promises of meat, play, and freedom, there has arisen a clear dividing line between the two. Jack represents the irrational nature of the boys, while Ralph represents rationality. Under Jack's rule, the baseness of human nature is unleashed, and he initiates a period of intertribal violence, punishing other children, inciting the frenzy that leads to the murder of Simon, and torturing the twins until they submit to his authority.

The tale ends with Jack leading many of the boys in a frenzied attempt to kill Ralph. At this time, the last remaining vestiges of civilization are gone, and Ralph's demise is only prevented by the abrupt and unexpected arrival of a naval officer, who is disappointed by the savage nature of the British boys.[20]

Roger
Roger, at first, is a simple "bigun" who is having fun during his stay on the island. Along with Maurice, he destroys the sand castles made by three small children. While Maurice feels guilt for kicking sand into a child's eye, Roger begins to emerge as a sadist as he throws stones at one of the boys.

The book states that Roger threw the stones to miss and felt the presence of civilization and society preventing him from harming the children.[21] Later, once he feels that all aspects of conventional society are gone, he is left alone to his animal urges. During a pig hunt, Roger shoves a sharpened stick up the animal's rectum while it is still alive.[22] He kills Piggy with a boulder that was no longer aimed to miss and becomes the executioner and torturer of Jack's tribe. He also tortures Sam and Eric into joining Jack's tribe. In the final hunt for Ralph at the end of the novel, Roger is armed with "a stick sharpened at both ends,"[23] indicating his intentions of killing Ralph and offering his head as a sacrifice to the "beast". He represents the person who enjoys hurting others and is only restrained when the rules of society exist.[24]

Simon
Simon is a character who represents peace and tranquillity and positivity, and perhaps mystic or religious impulses. He is often seen wandering off by himself in a dreamy state and is prone to fits of fainting and hallucination, likely epileptic in nature.

He is in tune with the island and often experiences extraordinary sensations when listening to its sounds. He loves the nature of the island. He is positive about the future. He has an extreme aversion to the pig's head, the "Lord of the Flies", which derides and taunts Simon in a hallucination. After this experience, Simon emerges from the forest to tell the others that the "beast" that fell from the sky is actually a deceased parachutist caught on the mountain. He is brutally killed by the boys, who ironically mistake him for the beast and kill him in their "dance" in which they "ripped and tore at the beast". It is implied that Ralph, Piggy, Sam, and Eric partake in the killing. The final words that the "Lord of the Flies" had said to Simon vaguely predicted that his death was about to occur in this manner. Earlier in the novel Simon himself also predicts his own death when he tells Ralph that Ralph will "get back all right",[25] implying that, of the two of them, only Ralph will be saved. Simon's death represents the loss of truth, innocence, and common sense, and along with Piggy's death represents the abandonment of civilization on the island. Simon has also been interpreted as a Christ figure because of his ability to see through misconception, unlike the rest of the boys, and the events he experiences in the book that parallel those of Jesus' life.

Naval officer
Arriving moments before Ralph's seemingly impending death, the Royal Navy officer is surprised and disappointed to learn that the boys' society has collapsed into chaos. He states that he would have expected "a better show"[26] from British children. The sudden looming appearance of an adult authority figure instantly reduces the savagery of the hunt to a children's game.

Upon the officer asking who is in charge, Ralph answers loudly, "I am",[26] and Jack, who was previously characterised as a powerful leader, is reduced to "A little boy who wore the remains of an extraordinary black cap on his red hair and who carried the remains of a pair of spectacles at his waist".[26] In the last sentence, the officer, embarrassed by the distress of the children, turns to look at the cruiser from which his party has landed—a symbol of his own adult war.

The Beast
The Beast represents the latent savagery within all human beings. It is first mentioned by a "littlun," and the notion is immediately dismissed by Ralph.

The Beast is thought to be within the water and described by the littluns as such. Soon after the rumours of the Beast begin to flourish, the corpse of a fighter pilot, ejected from his aircraft, falls to the island. His parachute becomes entangled in the jungle foliage in such a way that sporadic gusts of wind cause the chute to billow and the body to move as if still alive. Sam and Eric discover the parachutist in the dark and believe that it is the beast. Ralph, Jack, and Roger search for the Beast and encounter it on the mountain. The reality of the Beast is now firmly established in the boys' minds. Simon discovers the parachutist and realizes that the beast is really only the corpse of a man. Jack's tribe feeds the Beast with the sow's head on a stick. This act symbolizes Jack's willingness to succumb to the temptation of animalism.

Simon is the first child on the island to realize that the Beast is created by the boys' fear. He decides that "the news must reach the others as soon as possible".[27] Meanwhile, the boys have been feasting and begin to do their tribal pig-hunting dance. When "the beast stumble in to the horseshoe",[28] the frenzied, terrified boys "leapt on to the beast, screamed, struck, bit, tore".[29] While this is going on, the pilot's dead body finally falls out of the tree and down the mountain into the sea. It becomes clear that the boys have mistaken Simon for the beast and murdered, with Golding describing "Simon's dead body move[ing] out towards the open sea",[30] and on the morning after when Ralph tells Piggy, "That was Simon .... That was murder".[15]

The Lord of the Flies
The eponymous Lord of the Flies exists physically as a pig's head that has been cut off by Jack, put on a stick sharpened at both ends, stuck in the ground, and left as an offering to the "beast". Created out of fear, the Lord of the Flies is the remnant of a mother sow who, though at one time loving, protective, and innocent, has now become a manically smiling, bleeding image of horror. Endowed with the power of speech, reason, and prophecy, it represents an intelligent, supernatural malevolence with the power to evoke "the beast", or unchecked evil, within all. Near the end of the book, while Ralph is being hunted down, he strikes the now skeletal pig's head in a moment of blind anger, causing it to crack and fall on the ground with a grin "now six feet across".[31] This act demonstrates both mankind's frustration with the manifestation of evil as a consequence of his own course of action as well as his inability to defeat evil. The name "Lord of the Flies" is a literal translation of Beelzebub

I think this is workable, just need a few adaptions. Somehow expand it to get double the cast. The Conch could be transformed into a human, a mediator. Maybe if we had two of each role, they could sort of act in unison/support of each other.

It's been forever since I've attempted any creative writing.. But I've got some idea's floating around for this one.

Ralph: Kuu
Piggy: Seteleechete/blarraun
Conch: Jenny/Editor/Tan
Jack: Me/Baron/Quicktwist/Serenesam
Roger: TMB/Tberg haha
Simon: Erm, Yellow.
Naval Officer: Editor/Fukyo

Bit of a fucked up list I know, lol
Any idea's peeps?

Local time
-->
listen u fucker tmb one more thing
you have been direspecting me for a while now for no apparent reason and i keep either ignoring or replying in a polite way but now i will talk to you in a language you understand
eat shit, grow up and learn how to respect others
im not going to poof just because you have a problem with my presence

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:13 AM
-->
I would still be in the harbor perusing opium dens and getting stabbed by sailor-folk for not reading the book and only having a vague idea of what it's all about.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:13 AM
-->
I would still be in the harbor perusing opium dens and getting stabbed by sailor-folk for not reading the book and only having a vague idea of what it's all about.

People actually "peruse" stuff that way?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
you have been direspecting me for a while now for no apparent reason and i keep either ignoring or replying in a polite way but now i will talk to you in a language you understand

I think you could definitely be more aggressive.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 9:13 PM
-->
I wanna be the rock that kills someone. Failing that, I'm the tree.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Architect will be the object of religious worship inspiring dreams of human civilization - until one day he has vanished, leaving no trace save for a neat wooden block inscribed with meaningless yet beautifully profound images called "art".

Cognisant rapidly starts a new lonely tribe where he gets to research his cybernetics undisturbed by the general populace. This arrangement pleases everyone, and they can meet during times of important debate.

The rest unanimously elect Hadoblado as their hesitant supreme leader. This task is met with modesty and sober determination - but humble though he is, he can't conceal the dignified pride he also feels at this moment. As he realizes this he proceeds to own it and he promises that no-one will regret their decision, standing tall with a noble posture and sophisticated facial expression.

But redbaron forms an outcast group that very same evening and he offers an exciting sub-culture that will help. Concluding his visionary speech, he cheers: "For the master needs tearing, with that ugly bitching face, ain't that so!" and the audience responds in kind.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:13 AM
-->
I'm flattered, @sinny.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 2:13 AM
-->

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I doubt any of us will kill each other, though we may get into fights/heated arguments. Also, I think I'll end up sticking close to you.

My fav character... Hmm. Ralph was cool. But so was Jack. Simon was interesting.
Yep I'd hang out with you too

~
There will probably be some killing going on.
We're wise enough to see what's happening; I think we'd have the ability to all survive if we really wanted to.. But I think that some of us would kill just for the hell of it. And for the twisted philosophical aesthetic.

Those who 'take the situation seriously' (like Ralph and Piggy) would be working towards rescue.
Some would view it as a game. They'd make their own rules, quietly, in their head.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

I think you could definitely be more aggressive.

She's warming up, just give her a little time to ease into it...

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
I disagree. It would be a bloody blood bath... and I'd be the one bathing in it.

Ha, I could imagine us all now.

Would make for an epic story, someone should write it up.

Looks like I thought too highly of y'all.

I'll do the writing. But you'll have to keep me alive.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
My fav character... Hmm. Ralph was cool. But so was Jack. Simon was interesting.
Yep I'd hang out with you too

Bro, I never had a definite "favorite character", but those 3 were always my "fav"
~
There will probably be some killing going on.
We're wise enough to see what's happening; I think we'd have the ability to all survive if we really wanted to.. But I think that some of us would kill just for the hell of it. And for the twisted philosophical aesthetic.

Those who 'take the situation seriously' (like Ralph and Piggy) would be working towards rescue.
Some would view it as a game. They'd make their own rules, quietly, in their head.

I initially thought no killing would occur, because we're wise enough. But come to think of it, it's possible some would kill for the hell of it.

Local time
-->
Well the original version of that post ended with "bitch I'll chop ur ass off" but I took that out

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:13 PM
-->
Of all the things to do on an island, interacting with other people is surely the most pointless. So we made it to the island, escaping the responsibilities of society and the first thing we do is...reinstate society?

I'd probably just spend my days wandering and foraging and avoid island politics as much as possible. Not sure if there's a LotF character that fits that MO.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Is there a character who builds a fire, establishes a campsite, makes a raincatcher and set some fish traps? I want to be that character.

If I have time, I can then discuss politics but must be bribed with bacon or coffee first.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Well the original version of that post ended with "bitch I'll chop ur ass off" but I took that out

Hahahaa, you're killin me.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:13 AM
-->
It saddens me that so far, stranded on an island, no one has initiated an orgy or domesticated some of the local wildlife.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
An orgy, with you lot?! lool

So much weird.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->

I kinda agree, if it was anywhere but intpf it could well devolve into a lord of the flies situation though(or if there was a substantial non-intpf population). Not so much because there won't be bad apples but because no one here would allow themselves to be blindly lead around. Also the general paranoia of people here could have the "community" locked tighter than a police state.

Or I am just being naive like Piggy in an odd intpf way.

Making a lord of the flies fanfic with intpf characters could well work, just don't try to make it follow lord of the flies storyline, create something more reminiscent of the personalities of the people here.

PS, I barely remember anything of this book, think it's one of those I only skimmed for school assignment purposes.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Is there a character who builds a fire, establishes a campsite, makes a raincatcher and set some fish traps? I want to be that character.

If I have time, I can then discuss politics but must be bribed with bacon or coffee first.

Sounds the most like Ralph

I agree with Seteleechete though, we don't have to be a certain character from the book. The storyline would be different. We could have similar roles of course, though.
In the story, Jack represents savagery whereas Ralph is the one trying to keep everyone working together so they can survive and get rescued.

Given the hypothetical situation in which we are stranded on the island from LotF, what do you think would happen?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Sounds the most like Ralph

I agree with Seteleechete though, we don't have to be a certain character from the book. The storyline would be different. We could have similar roles of course, though.
In the story, Jack represents savagery whereas Ralph is the one trying to keep everyone working together so they can survive and get rescued.

Given the hypothetical situation in which we are stranded on the island from LotF, what do you think would happen?

People will self-delegate to any chore that needs tending (I'll probably spend most of my time doing foraging/ fishing duties). I don't think anyone will be a slacker since there are nothing else to do but try to survive. There would be no major squabbles since people aren't interested in politics like the more extroverted types.

Of course, as Rook said, an orgy won't hurt :P

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
It saddens me that so far, stranded on an island, no one has initiated an orgy or domesticated some of the local wildlife.

That's because everyone is too busy arguing about what the nature of the island is, what roles would be sensible for people to play based on personality, and/or otherwise trolling the members who can't swim.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Of all the things to do on an island, interacting with other people is surely the most pointless. So we made it to the island, escaping the responsibilities of society and the first thing we do is...reinstate society?

I'd probably just spend my days wandering and foraging and avoid island politics as much as possible. Not sure if there's a LotF character that fits that MO.

I doubt it would play out this way (not for you in particular, but in general.) Realistically the modern lifestyles and experience of most people here would not prepare them for this kind of survival scenario.

There are so many things to factor if we assume we are not native to the island. It would be overwhelming for the average individual to work it all out on their own from scratch.

People would be more likely to group together, as they always have done historically, for survival purposes. There's nothing stopping anyone from going off into the wild right now; people remain in society because realistically most are not prepared to be solely responsible for their lives, and it's more advantageous and convenient to their survival to remain within it and accept those responsibilities as a part of it.

I do think people experience empathy, and that if a few had good survival skills, unless it endangered them, would probably share what they know before going their own way.

That said, I don't think INTPf island would be a haven from human weakness.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
i can play the ukelele and sing stand by me to zerkalo

when the night has come
and the land is dark
and the moon
is the only
light we see

scary.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
I'm the nice one keeping y'all in line from the sidelines...

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:13 PM
-->
I've always enjoyed the taste of veal. Human cattle could become a new thing.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:13 PM
-->

There was a character like that. He stayed away from everyone and went into the forest and did his own thing. He became the forest essentially, as the book was describing how he changed. Don't remember which character though or what happened to him later on.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
I would source whichever drugs were available and start a thriving business which would make me resource rich.

I would build my own tree house with a prime sea view which overlooks the forest behind also.

Yeah, whoever fits that role, that's me!

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:13 PM
-->
Brontosaurie said:
Architect will be the object of religious worship inspiring dreams of human civilization - until one day he has vanished, leaving no trace save for a neat wooden block inscribed with meaningless yet beautifully profound images called "art".
Yup.

Brontosaurie said:
The rest unanimously elect Hadoblado as their hesitant supreme leader. This task is met with modesty and sober determination - but humble though he is, he can't conceal the dignified pride he also feels at this moment. As he realizes this he proceeds to own it and he promises that no-one will regret their decision, standing tall with a noble posture and sophisticated facial expression.
Yup, although I laugh at the notion of anyone being "in charge" of an INTP society, rather there will be a few wandering mediators (with big sticks) for the sole purpose of preventing conflict (because it's loud and annoying) while someone gets stuck with the unenviable job of keeping us organized, Hado is elected by unanimous "not it".

Brontosaurie said:
Cognisant rapidly starts a new lonely tribe where he gets to research his cybernetics undisturbed by the general populace. This arrangement pleases everyone, and they can meet during times of important debate.
Cog's priorities:
1. Water.
2. Food.
3/4. Shelter/Fire (order depends on the climate and availability of natural shelter)
5. Make charcoal.
6. Search the island for anything metallic.
7. Create a forge from fired clay bricks.
8. Start a tribe of like minded individuals.
9. Start metal worshiping cult.
10. Become the Iron King :borg:

Until I get sick of it, delegate being in charge to someone else and get back to trying to invent things.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
It would be interesting to revisit this after playing Mafia :D

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
It would be interesting to go back to this after playing Mafia :D

In real life I would have bumped off Hado under the cover of darkness and gone from there... Can't say my vigilantism would have left Baron untouched either.. That opportunity would be to good pass up. Might have even swung for Hado in a group scenario.

I would have defended Eyes to the last breath, and if role's were some how revealed post hado/Baron deaths - flip green, as they did, Puffy would have been next.

I really wouldn't of cared about the integrity of the team besides me and Eyes finishing up last, and any one else who read positive green for me.

I think it's much harder to come up green than scum, hence why I was so adamant about Eyes. I just knew.

How would you react differently irl?

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I mean if my life was in danger - you know, with the night kills - idk what I'd do. I'd be really scared. Find someone I could trust as town and hide behind them.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'd silently ascend to political master-mindedry (it's always the quiet ones, plus more people are inclined to trust me than Gopher ;)) and anyone who went against me would get ban-hammered and endo-cannibalised. their vital essences would be absorbed only potentiating my power.

see my many victims: lightspeed (co-founder? don't give a shit), thd (cannibal? don't give a shit), basegroove / montresor (sm0k3 w33d 3vryd4y? don't give a shit), et al. all those who would resist have already been annihilated leaving only the sapless, law-abiding cowards.

:kinggrin:

Top Bottom