• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Is the term 'ditto' offensive?

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
Today 7:26 PM
-->
For those who don't know ditto means 'the same thing again' and is used to agree with something said without having to repeat it.

Recently I got into an argument with an ex and she called me a cunt. My immediate response was 'ditto'. Apparently that makes me a misogynistic arse-hole, despite the fact it was literally me repeating what she had said.

So, is the use of ditto to respond to an insult considered offensive? Wouldn't such a view be a double standard?

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:26 AM
-->
uuu hnoo? im not english but i've heard ditto used in firednly and not so friendly terms. mostly casual to lightly sarcastic.

offensive? overall i dont like people who get scared by sounds so meh idgaf

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
I’m unsure ditto is offensive so much as context. You’re basically calling her a cunt so she’s reacting to that.

In my experience when people are enraged they’re looking for a fight and for something to react against, unless you can be really calm to provide them no fuel it’ll escalate. In this scenario, if I feel the other person is in the wrong and I feel angry I just walk away from the conversation. If I express my anger they will turn it against me, like she’s doing with you here in using your statements as evidence you’re something you’re not. Walking away lets the other person know they’ve crossed a boundary with me and I’m not willing to engage on that level. If they send me shitty text messages I don’t respond or acknowledge it, until they calm down and are willing to talk more reasonably. I’m in control of my role in the conversation and it’s up to me what kind of behaviour I’m willing to engage with, it lets them know that.

If this is the same ex who’s looking for you to support her through her toxic relationship, I think it’s time to move on personally.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:56 PM
-->
In a vacuum, what you said is exactly what she said, so no more offensive than the standard she holds herself to.

But if she's reacting this way, she's either being irrational or she does not perceive what you said in a vacuum.

If you cheated on her (for example), she would be right to be angry, thus you calling her a cunt back would likely make you a misogynistic asshole.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
For those who don't know ditto means 'the same thing again' and is used to agree with something said without having to repeat it.

Recently I got into an argument with an ex and she called me a cunt. My immediate response was 'ditto'. Apparently that makes me a misogynistic arse-hole, despite the fact it was literally me repeating what she had said.

So, is the use of ditto to respond to an insult considered offensive?
If you saying the same insult to the other person would be offensive, then yes. If not, then no.

Wouldn't such a view be a double standard?
No, because "c*nt" is an offensive name for a woman, not an offensive name for a "man". You could have called her a "b*stard" in return.

OTOH, she could have decided that would make you a woman-hater anyway. But then, she would be a man-hater for calling you names.

OTOH, lots of men let women get away with stuff like that if the woman is attractive, because those men want to have sex with women, even if they are man-haters, as long as they're attractive.

OTOH, lots of women want to have sex with "bad boys" as well.

So maybe you should have just called her a "b*stard". then she would have called you a misogynistic arse-hole. Then you could have said since you're not a nice person, you're a "bad boy". Then she would have f**ked you.

OTOH, the opposite of live is not hate. It's indifference. She would only be uninterested in having sex with you, if she didn't care if you called her names.

If she wasn't interested in f**king you, she would not have bothered to call you names, and wouldn't have cared if you called her names.

She probably was looking to f**k you anyway, and she's seen all those films where men and women insult each other and then get it on. So she was likely trying to engineer a situation where that would happen.

Lots of women do things like that. I think they call it the Hot-Crazy Scale.

Also, she is your ex. So she probably enjoyed f**king you in the past, and was horny, but was afraid to initiate sex for fear of being called a slut, and so she tried to get you to initiate sex.

Or, I may be rambling.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 9:26 AM
-->
You are having an argument with a mentally disabled person and is asking of this is a common moral value. I tend to say no

Does it matter whether it's a double standard? If I call someone an idiot, is that okay as long as I'm not being a hypocrite?

Top Bottom