• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Is this the workings of Si?

Local time
Today 1:46 AM
-->
What is it about INTPs that allows us to bring up an old conversation as if no time has passed? It's definitely not something most other people do. In fact, they tend to be surprised (and occasionally even creeped out) that we remember such trivial conversations.

I certainly have a habit of this. I remember incredibly random things people tell me about themselves/things in general if I'm giving them a moderate amount of attention. I mean, if a conversation has ever held any intrigue for me, I'll remember it. And this store of assorted memories definitely comes up in conversations casually, leaving others...behind.

Is this tertiary Si?

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
Today 5:46 AM
-->

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Own8ge why do you hate INTPs so much? What have they done to you? You must realize that INTJs are the real enemy.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
Own8ge why do you hate INTPs so much? What have they done to you? You must realize that INTJs are the real enemy.

I'm just trying to help (?)

wadlez

Local time
Today 4:16 PM
-->
I also have this ability, being able to recite stories my friends tell me to others without forgetting anything.
How is this Si? I think it would be Ti, our primary function, as we remember things interesting to our Thinking function.

I would actually be interested to hear how you guys think this is Si

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I also have this ability, being able to recite stories my friends tell me to others without forgetting anything.
How is this Si? I think it would be Ti, our primary function, as we remember things interesting to our Thinking function.

I would actually be interested to hear how you guys think this is Si

It is Si. In the INTP Si is submissive to Ti. The specific function hierarchy of INTPs create unique abilities. One of them may be that Si, in the purpose of Ti, can recite stories that for other personality types would be irrelevant. I as an INFJ would be paying attention to other things, and I will prefer to remember other things.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I'm not really good telling stories, becuz i get lost in my own thoughts, they invade my purpose thoughts and everything collapses and suddenly i'm like wat was wat i was talking about.
For me Si works in discussions, i get out of nowhere facts that happened to destroy other's theories, when my ex and i were discussing something i was like: this shit already happened, it's happening right now and it will happen again. Or, something like: - ima gonna try this becuz i like it, then i responded like: - and why you didn't even think of it before when we were in the same situation? blablabla
I suppose Ne is getting shit out of nowhere and throwing it at my Si and she (Si) becomes angry.

wadlez

Local time
-->
It is Si. In the INTP Si is submissive to Ti. The specific function hierarchy of INTPs create unique abilities. One of them may be that Si, in the purpose of Ti, can recite stories that for other personality types would be irrelevant. I as an INFJ would be paying attention to other things, and I will prefer to remember other things.

I understand what you are saying, but Si in this regard would be the subjective response to the detail emanating from the conversation (So the voice of the speaker or particular words used). The unique INTP orientation could accentuate various Si factors to make them more interesting, but I can see nothing here which would aid recollection above other types.
Also, since this is our third function, I would certainly look at Ne + Ti before accusing Si of being the causal factor.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I understand what you are saying, but Si in this regard would be the subjective response to the detail emanating from the conversation (So the voice of the speaker or particular words used). The unique INTP orientation could accentuate various Si factors to make them more interesting, but I can see nothing here which would aid recollection above other types.
Also, since this is our third function, I would certainly look at Ne + Ti before accusing Si of being the causal factor.

No no no. Si is inner literal perception. It is the function Si that recites past literal observations.

The INTP has Si as third function, which is a really neat place for a function to be at. The third function is flexible, and comes and gos when you want; you can grasp to it whenever you want. It is 100% adaptable.

wadlez

Local time
-->
Hmmm ok, I suppose Si is a hard one to get my head around.

I will have to think more on the third function and the role it plays

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
The INTP has Si as third function, which is a really neat place for a function to be at. The third function is flexible, and comes and gos when you want; you can grasp to it whenever you want. It is 100% adaptable.

You are totally right ! That's indeed the only function we are not totally submitted to.

Don't you think however that the tertiary function is basically what Jung called the "Transcendent Function" i.e the temporary / potential link or bridge between the conscious and the unconscious ?

Axiom of Maria

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Axiom of Maria is a precept in alchemy: "One becomes two, two becomes three, and out of the third comes the one as the fourth." It is attributed to 3rd century alchemist Maria Prophetissa, also called the Jewess, sister of Moses, or the Copt.

Marie-Louise von Franz gives an alternative version thus: "Out of the One comes Two, out of Two comes Three, and from the Third comes the One as the Fourth."[2]

Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung (1875 – 1961) used the axiom as a metaphor for the process of individuation.

One is unconscious wholeness; two is the conflict of opposites; three points to a potential resolution; the third is the transcendent function, described as a "psychic function that arises from the tension between consciousness and the unconscious and supports their union";[3] and the one as the fourth is a transformed state of consciousness, relatively whole and at peace.

wadlez

Local time
-->
Don't you think however that the tertiary function is basically what Jung called the "Transcendent Function" i.e the temporary / potential link or bridge between the conscious and the unconscious ?

Yes I agree with that as this function does not stand in opposition to your primary function (Like Fe), so its contents are in a form acceptable to your ego.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Yes I agree with that as this function does not stand in opposition to your primary function (Like Fe), so its contents are in a form acceptable to your ego.

Even the auxiliary (Ne) is a pain in the ass to shut down just like Ti and Fe, we especially notice it whenever we are worried and we are bombarded with paranoid idea making it virtually impossible to fall asleep for example... Of course Ne provides us with very possible scenario at times even though some might be far fetched but without such ideas we might have gone straight into a wall and not changed course while it was still possible...

JansenDowel

Local time
Today 5:46 PM
-->
I wouldn't think so. I have a well developed Si and it usually exposes itself in aesthetic appreciation of something familiar. Like art, or a scene from a novel.

Top Bottom