• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Jerk move on my part

Local time
Today 7:26 AM
-->
So I think my neighbors hate me now.
While they're religious, they're also stuck-up snobs who think they're better than everyone else.
So I decided to spite them for good measure.
Yesterday, on the end of our driveway I quoted Voltaire and wrote,
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
Later that day, I looked outside and noticed that they were about to leave.
The grandfather was walking to the car and noticed what I'd wrote.
The look on his face- you should have seen it.
Now the neighbors won't talk to us anymore.
But it was worth it. ;-)

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
Are you boasting here? Did this achieve what you wanted? Just curious where you're coming from.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:26 PM
-->
So this is how atheists act?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
So I think my neighbors hate me now.
While they're religious, they're also stuck-up snobs who think they're better than everyone else.
So I decided to spite them for good measure.
Yesterday, on the end of our driveway I quoted Voltaire and wrote,
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
Later that day, I looked outside and noticed that they were about to leave.
The grandfather was walking to the car and noticed what I'd wrote.
The look on his face- you should have seen it.
Now the neighbors won't talk to us anymore.
But it was worth it. ;-)

Sounds like YOU so far. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from the religious folk.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
idk, I liked the move, I thought it would even be consistent with a religious-but-open-minded mindset

afterall, if there is a God, he wants us to laugh, not be afraid

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
Religious people are afraid of humor. In order to take a religion seriously, one has to create an unnatural air of seriousness around it.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Atheists sound the most butt hurt out of everybody

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Moan, moan, moan .. If your so happy in your own beliefs why harass everybody else for theirs, if they aren't harming anybody?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
how old are you?
have you been to church?
would you like me to pray for you?
I will, I really will.
I will pray for you.
what do you think?

Local time
-->

postulating a thing does not make it true, something that should be borne in mind when considering the veracity of any postulated thing including religion XD

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Moan, moan, moan .. If your so happy in your own beliefs why harass everybody else for theirs, if they aren't harming anybody?

religion itself is the harm we seek to remove

(i am now spokesperson for all atheists XD)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
If some religious person wrote a humorous biblical phrase on my driveway* knowing I was an atheist I'd probably invite them over for coffee.

Keep being a sik kunt OP.

*Unfortunately there's nothing humorous in the bible.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Perfectly Normal Bastet

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->

Religion itself is a harmful infection of the mind.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
So this is how atheists act?

This is how OP acts. Atheism is a philosophical position, and not a political movement, and thus has no prescripted behaviours and should not be generalized.

Personally I find such actions petty and counterproductive. One could have over the years slowly pulled them towards the godless side, but instead now they won't even listen, and indeed just have more ammo to fuel their anti-atheism. Mockery is a pretty terrible pedagogical method.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:26 PM
-->
If some religious person wrote a humorous biblical phrase on my driveway* knowing I was an atheist I'd probably invite them over for coffee.

Yet she increased her whoring, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt and lusted after her lovers there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose issue was like that of stallions.

Ezekiel 23:19-20

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 6:26 AM
-->
Psh.
Anyone who takes themselves seriously enough to be offended by obscure driveway lettering deserves to be offended.

However I'm horrified by the discreet atheist bashing going on here given that this:
Atheism is a philosophical position, and not a political movement, and thus has no prescripted behaviours and should not be generalized.
is a healthy dose of truth soup.^_^

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 1:26 AM
-->
Yes, they speak their minds sometimes. Shockingly politically incorrect, isn't it?

I used to engage in the same behavior. It is really dumb. It is essentially the same thing as putting Bible verses on your front lawn. Cultural vandalism is only for monstrous idols. Christianity doesn't have enough energy and power to be monstrous. God is already dead.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

Yet she increased her whoring, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt and lusted after her lovers there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose issue was like that of stallions.

Ezekiel 23:19-20

Oh I'm content to play this game. :)

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it." -- Malachi 2: 3

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Stupid move. I hope you had a laugh because:
a) you just made a potential enemy who is also your neighbour
b) you achieved nothing to enlighten them, in fact they'll be even more hostile towards whatever you and others like you have to say
c) it's a lose-lose outcome and a good laugh is the only profit you're going to get

Now imagine your mother or someone dear to you is in need of an emergency reaction (fire, driving to hospital, etc.) The odds are high that you have a few less people to give a shit about your situation when you really need them. Was it worth it? *shrug*

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
Christianity doesn't have enough energy and power to be monstrous. God is already dead.
And how do you think that happened?

Whether it's in the form of Christianity or something else, Myth and Dogma – those are monstrous idols. I praise anyone who actively tries to counteract them.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
So brave

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Whether it's in the form of Christianity or something else, Myth and Dogma – those are monstrous idols. I praise anyone who actively tries to counteract them.
Interesting. Your message sounds totally dogmatic in its anti-religiosity/anti-dogmatism and it mythicises christianity as the big bad thing.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
Interesting. Your message sounds totally dogmatic in its anti-religiosity/anti-dogmatism and it mythicises christianity as the big bad thing.

Good. It has never been my goal to accept all epistemological stances as equal. I am extremely dogmatic in my skepticism.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Good. It has never been my goal to accept all epistemological stances as equal. I am extremely dogmatic in my skepticism.
I hope in the future there's less people like you to get in the position to prescribe on behalf of others. Whether they hail as religious or not, it's the same flavour of fundamentalism.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
I hope in the future there's less people like you to get in the position to prescribe on behalf of others. Whether they hail as religious or not, it's the same flavour of fundamentalism.

Here comes the good ol' Blarraun with his "I am superior because I don't have any stance on anything". It's not a morally superior category, my friend. It's just a predilection of yours.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:26 AM
-->
Here comes the good ol' Blarraun with his "I am superior because I don't have any stance on anything". It's not a morally superior category, my friend. It's just a predilection of yours.

Talk about predilections... why are you back here anyway? Didn't you walk off this forum a few month ago saying this place sucked and you were going to get a life, more or less?

Yet here you are. Welcome home, I suppose.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
Talk about predilections... why are you back here anyway? Didn't you walk off this forum a few month ago saying this place sucked and you were going to get a life, more or less?

Yet here you are. Welcome home, I suppose.

^ classiest post ever.

I don't really see a forum as a place I "walk off" because it's not a physical place nor a place I have any sentimental feelings towards. Perhaps that is the case for you, but if that were to hold true for me, I would treat it as a pathological sign.

Deleted member 1424

False.

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

edit: oh no, absurdity beat me and I didn't see it.

As for the sign... well at least it's different than the ubiquitous the 'I have a giant, pulsating equine erection for God, Guns & Patriotism' and the 'Abortion is murder' signs in my area. If you must put a sign up at least say something novel imo.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
People need to lighten the fuck up. If a bible basher did that on my driveway I'd crack up laughing. Assuming it's chalk or something and will just wash away in the rain it's actually pretty funny.

People having different beliefs and disagreeing is actually okay and is the thing no one seems capable of learning. Endless fighting over ideas and philisophies and creating heirarchies based on essentially bullshit.

In fact if atheists and the religious could engage one another with a common ground of humour more often then things would probably work out better in the end. Instead everyone just has to walk around all offended at stuff and super serious about their precious ideologies.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^ classiest post ever.

I'm not even sure what that means. I'm not the one who made a "I'm leaving this place and not coming back post" and then shows back up to continue with the bitching at various members.

It's an inconsistency on your part, a person who claims to be eminently logical. Otherwise I don't even know you, so why would I care? It just makes me wonder why the inconsistency exists.

I don't really see a forum as a place I "walk off" because it's not a physical place nor a place I have any sentimental feelings towards. Perhaps that is the case for you, but if that were to hold true for me, I would treat it as a pathological sign.

Perhaps it's not the case for me?

I come and go as I wish, without announcing a permanent departure.

People need to lighten the fuck up. If a bible basher did that on my driveway I'd crack up laughing. Assuming it's chalk or something and will just wash away in the rain it's actually pretty funny.

People having different beliefs and disagreeing is actually okay and is the thing no one seems capable of learning. Endless fighting over ideas and philisophies and creating heirarchies based on essentially bullshit.

In fact if atheists and the religious could engage one another with a common ground of humour more often then things would probably work out better in the end. Instead everyone just has to walk around all offended at stuff and super serious about their precious ideologies.

Yeah, it's not really that big a deal.

But it's also not clear from the OP whether the neighbors really had that response. It was merely his perception of their expression that he was chortling over. It's very possible they noticed it, were a little annoyed at worst, and otherwise won't pay it any mind, and their outrage was all in his mind. "So they won't talk to me anymore"? Well, apparently this had just happened "yesterday" so the long-term effects really aren't that clear at the moment.

So we've got one set of people who are extremely one way, and another guy who is the opposite and is trying to get a rise and thinks he did. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, and it shouldn't really be a big deal for either group.

smithcommajohn

Do not consume with alcohol
Local time
-->
I'm not religious, but I think this act is just silly. Why would you ever want to piss off your neighbors? You know, the people you live near that could benefit your life in a million ways potentially. So what if they're religious? I've known tons of religious people (family included) and NONE were stuck up. I think you're assuming they are and your little passive aggressive message of disrespect to their values will just make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Neighbors can be a pain in the ass even when they're on neutral ground with you. Pissing them off on purpose is just unwise.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
I'd be annoyed, I go home to rest, think and be at peace, not to engage in political or religious activism. I'd be annoyed either way (a pro religious or pro atheist sign). Place for that is a Billboard IMO - it would have more impact and social engagement.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
...Neighbors can be a pain in the ass even when they're on neutral ground with you. Pissing them off on purpose is just unwise.

yeah, think of all the religious pamphlets he'll find tucked inside his door now. :phear:

smithcommajohn

Do not consume with alcohol
Local time
-->
yeah, think of all the religious pamphlets he'll find tucked inside his door now. :phear:
Pamphlets if he's lucky. Maybe they'll make it a mission to convert and start sending people to the front door every day. *knock knock knock* :p

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
My chosen method:

A11fWTU.jpg

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Cute. Except I exposed your bias and you call me biased for it.

His observation is accurate.

Embracing the civil mocking of outrageously dumb superstition isn't a "bias". The function of such ridicule is not to convince the fanatics, but to normalize opposition to prevailing religious oppression and dissolve residual fear culture and moralism within the secular sphere - analogous to how the function of debate isn't to convince the opponent, but the audience. This is quite obvious and you wouldn't have missed it unless you were in such a desperate hurry to be neutral.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
It would be great if people put this much effort into shit which actually mattered.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
But muh atheisms :D

Top Bottom