• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Meeting other INTPs in real life

hurricanejane

↓ It's called a butterphant ↓
Local time
Today 3:43 AM
-->
Recently I met someone at my workplace who after about 30 minutes of conversation I guessed was an INTP. I had him read a few INTP personality descriptions and he agreed that they sounded very much like him.
Have any of you ever come across INTPs in real life? Also did you tell them like I did? And did this make them more or less interesting to you?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 4:43 AM
-->
I've met very few INTPs irl. That being said reading the description of what an INTP is, is something a lot of people can identify with or think they identify with. Did you try reading the description of what an INTJ is or ISTP is or ENTP is or even ISTJ is?

eturtle

Pensive Stargazer
Local time
Today 2:43 AM
-->
A swiftly tilting planet across the universe
I don't think I've encountered any fellow INTPs, but I often have a hard time determining other people's types (and my own — I thought I was an INTJ for years). Once I think I've figured out what they are, I always start to doubt myself...

I definitely don't know anyone as eccentric or as fascinated by philosophy as I am :treeswing:

Most of my friends whose personality types I know are J types.

hurricanejane

Local time
-->
Did you try reading the description of what an INTJ is or ISTP is or ENTP is or even ISTJ is?

Even after he read the INTP description and said it hit him dead on I was still a bit skeptical. But after being good friends with him I can confidently say that he is an INTP. I based my judgement on my own personality and the fair amount I know about INTPS.

hurricanejane

Local time
-->
I don't think I've encountered any fellow INTPs, but I often have a hard time determining other people's types (and my own — I thought I was an INTJ for years). Once I think I've figured out what they are, I always start to doubt myself...

I definitely don't know anyone as eccentric or as fascinated by philosophy as I am :treeswing:

Most of my friends whose personality types I know are J types.

You probably have come across an INTP here or there and just not have realized it. It was really out of my comfort zone to say "hey I've kinda be phyco analyzing you, wanna read something for me?" after only knowing him for about 30 minutes. So that's why I was wondering if anyone here had done the same.

I can only really pick out INTPs and INTJ (because of living with one) but I had never been this sure of my judgement as this time or I would not have said anything.

It's actually really nice to have a real life person that is really alike mentally. Though we do disagree on things sometimes we are extremely alike in a lot of areas including mannerisms.

eturtle

Pensive Stargazer
Local time
-->
A swiftly tilting planet across the universe
You probably have come across an INTP here or there and just not have realized it. It was really out of my comfort zone to say "hey I've kinda be phyco analyzing you, wanna read something for me?" after only knowing him for about 30 minutes.

You're probably right :)

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes, I have met many INTPs in real life. Mostly in college, but also at work. Plus my dad. Some INTPs I get along with really well, and others I find annoying.

I don't find the number surprising, since we are at least a couple percent of the population. Finding INTPs is harder since it isn't a set of traits usually encouraged by society, but in an environment where they are approved, INTPs are easy enough to find.

I assume this question is both an inquiry into how common it is for INTPs to meet each other, but also how we look from the outside.

To me, other INTPs look stubborn and opinionated, seem generally very pleased with their own wit, are interesting conversationalists, and are interested in philosophy and truth. Most of them keep somewhat fit, though none that I know are serious athletes - they just work out.

Most of the other INTPs I know don't let their introversion determine what they do or how they do it. They often have few friends, but they certainly have friends and a social life. Quite a few are married, but children seem less common. They are mostly comfortable with public speaking and manage well enough at parties.

The other INTPs I know have a wide range of interests, both individuals who like lots of topics, and lots of variety between people. For those topics where they are experts, and therefore find things easy, they often can't understand why anyone else would find it hard. Some have said to me that they are worried that people will find out they aren't smart, and they worry they are faking it. All of them have a young attitude toward life, even if they are 80. The ones over 35 are happier, for the most part.

I can't type people very well, myself. These are self-reported INTPs, but it certainly seems to fit them. So I figure most of them really are.

samjonathan

often inexplicably absent for long periods of time
Local time
Today 8:13 PM
-->
I've met quite a few male INTPs, I can (I think) pick them too
every male INTP I have picked I have always known as soon as meeting them, then introduced them to the MBTI test later in our friendship, and so far as that goes I have been, apparently, 100% accurate

I have met a few female INTPs irl too, some I've picked, some have told me their type without me asking, also one INTJ girl who I felt some weird kind of kinship with when we were first becoming acquainted

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 8:43 PM
-->
Trebuchet said:
To me, other INTPs look stubborn and opinionated, seem generally very pleased with their own wit, are interesting conversationalists, and are interested in philosophy and truth. Most of them keep somewhat fit, though none that I know are serious athletes - they just work out.

Most of the other INTPs I know don't let their introversion determine what they do or how they do it. They often have few friends, but they certainly have friends and a social life. Quite a few are married, but children seem less common. They are mostly comfortable with public speaking and manage well enough at parties.

That's actually a really good general description :)

Doob

Local time
Today 10:43 AM
-->
When I was still in school someone in my class was an INTP. I didn't know about MBTI then, but he took the test a few months ago and we had a nice discussion about it. He is the cousin of my best friend and when we met in her house we would spend hours discussing various things. My friend said it was very amusing to watch.

hurricanejane

Local time
-->
When I was still in school someone in my class was an INTP. I didn't know about MBTI then, but he took the test a few months ago and we had a nice discussion about it. He is the cousin of my best friend and when we met in her house we would spend hours discussing various things. My friend said it was very amusing to watch.

That's interesting. Did you know he was an INTP before he took the test?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Have any of you ever come across INTPs in real life?

Three for sure. One is a good friend, one is a friend of my wife, and the other is my son. Many other candidates, but I'm conservative with my typing, only determining it when I'm sure.

Also did you tell them like I did?

My friend and my kid. My kid is open to it and draws a lot of strength from it. Helps him understand why he's different. My friend doesn't seem to want to talk about it, I don't know why. Haven't talked to my wife's friend, and she lives out of state so I don't have the opportunity.

And did this make them more or less interesting to you?

Probably less, I find other types more interesting (and annoying).

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 10:43 AM
-->
honestly i don't see much use in typing real people. that's not to say i'm not getting vibes from them. however, INTP is one of the hardest ones to spot from my experience. extraverted types are usually - and not surprisingly - a lot easier, with extraverted judging types being the easiest.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
Sometimes, INTPs are skilled at blending in with their surroundings and the people with them. They can be seen displaying mimicry and channeling the personas of others. What, in the opinions of others, could betray their methods of cloaking?

Local time
Today 5:43 AM
-->
I do believe that my Physics teacher is an INTP. He reminds me a great deal of myself and uses all of the right functions. Lots of Ti-Ne-Si (not sure I've noticed Fe, which...makes sense, haha). Seriously, if I were a teacher I'd probably have a similar demeanor/teaching method. He's the first and last, though. I know two people that have typed themselves as INTPs, but they're far more likely to be INFP and ISTP.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Sometimes, INTPs are skilled at blending in with their surroundings and the people with them. They can be seen displaying mimicry and channeling the personas of others. What, in the opinions of others, could betray their methods of cloaking?

Not true, INTPs are usually themselves no matter what. I am an exception; I have been typed as a 3 in Enneagram, profesionally typed of course. https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typethree.asp

[Edit] You said some. My point is that it is the minority.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
They don't seem to be too difficult to find roaming around certain areas. I've briefly met or came across a few, and have met someone (my initial impression/guess is entp) who seems to have a couple in his general crew, so being around him is somewhat interesting. Usually, considering functions, stereotypes, and some other things it's possible to see how I might relate to that type or how people would relate me to that type.. Other times it just makes me think I could be some "infp with intp tendencies" or come up with other relatively convoluted explanations for this particular manifestation.

But considering how intp is one of the most popular types to people in teh mbti community, it's usually remotely interesting for however long a period of time to be in close proximity to someone who may be of that type, or to more than one person of any matching type or to be whatever type and to meet someone of the same or similar type for that matter, considering the ramifications.

Last edited:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I met two INTP's, both male today. Talked to one. As soon as we started talking (in front of a group) I said we had better stop or we will monopolize the group. Reading was brought up and he asked me the last book I had read. I said it was a math book but couldn't recall the title. It was ("Prime Obsession.") He was very talkative, obviously interested in the MBTI. The other one was silent. Later the topic of the F CF came up. I tried to explain Fe but couldn't quite make it. Never got to Fi. I was a little disappointed in myself considering the experience I've had here, but no one noticed.

About a year ago I met three INTP's at once. Two were female. One was hot (to me), but didn't take to me. Another male talked a lot. One girl was quite reserved.

During both encounters I spoke a little, was modestly quiet, but got attention when I brought up some idea. This evening at one point I was surrounded by approximately six F's, five of which were female. I hung out for a while but my introversion caught up with me and I left.

"So what?" you say? I say so what too.

Microtonalist

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Quite a few of the people I've known over the years are potential INTPs. I suspect that probably has more to do with the social and professional circles I move in than anything else. I once went to a party hosted by a philosopher, full of philosophy grad students. I'm fairly certain that practically everyone there was an NT of one sort or another.
A former roommate was almost certainly an INTP. He and I would have these long, alcohol-fueled conversations about random facts and theories that would extend into the wee hours of the night. Those were fun times.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Oh yeah, intps seem to be amongst the top three types that are most aware of the theory. Some seem to know they're intp, and others seem to not be aware of mbti; it seems noticeable. There were some intp I remember running into prior to knowing anything about mbti.

A few years ago there was this one guy in this class I was taking.. He was one of the five or so people that immediately stood out to me for whatever reason. I didn't like him, because he seemed all smart and stuff. He was with a girl who looked like his sister, probably some nfj, although she stopped appearing after about a week or so. Looking back he definitely seemed like he knew he was intp... Some stuff happened I guess, not too sure what his thoughts were.

Then, a year or so later we ended up being in another class together. He was with the girl again, but she stopped appearing after a week.. He was taking the class cause they were having a baby and he thought taking a class on the subject would be a good idea. What happened here was that the class had to split up into groups and focus on a specific "psychologist" then do a group project at the end. There was Freud, Jung; etc but I chose Vygotsky (nature vs nurture) because it sounded most interesting. It seemed like he waited to see what group I chose just so he could pick the same one, which he did and I had a feeling something like that would happen, also our group ended up having 8-9 people while the other groups had 3-4 people Max.

He was mature and stuff... Once we saw each other walking then he approached So we could talk because I had been entering passive aggressive comments on the group bulletin board. So we chatted about that briefly then went our separate ways.

I ended up seeing him again about a year later. I went to the mall for something but ended up sitting at one of the food courts for about 20 minutes. I saw a group of three men turn the corner from where the theater was, and they more or less stood out although I didn't look back at them until they were closer, then I saw there were four men; with the supposed intp dude in the back. They looked to be a semi interesting group of friends. We made eye contact briefly then looked away, I had not run into him again. He appeared to be one of the more stereotypical ones, a Caucasian male with brownish blondish hair and glasses, and of a modest stature with some casual style of dress. He could have not been intp.

Sometime around the same era there may have been another intp I briefly interacted with prior to knowing about mbti. We were in San Diego for family vacation... We managed to attend the comic con that was going on down there, and Capcommunity was getting ready to rerelease Street Fighter III on xb and ps live arcades, so I wanted to go check out the booth. On my way there I walked by a male representative who basically stood out for some reason. But, I went to where they had the 3S booth up and watched two friends play. They both chose Ken. They seemed interested in the game because it was relatively obscure, at the same time Street Fighter IV was being promoted so there was some hype. After their match ended they played another one then I asked if I could play winner. You could tell they didn't play often. Soon enough I got to play and won, probably since I had more experience. Afterwards they left and I had no one to play with, but in the corner of my eye I saw that rep I walked by approaching this way quick. He promptly to his place at the sticks and then I noticed he wore a Capcom lanyard. From what I can remember he had a modest stature and blonder hair with glasses. We were both silent. He chose Ken, I chose Urien again. This time, I lost badly. He had obviously been playing longer than me, and there was nothing I could do. We played a couple times then I switched to Ryu halfway expecting a different outcome but still lost. Around that time I made an audible vocal gesture then walked away, my pride vaguely scarred. He seemed open and inviting, but didn't say anything. I'm not sure how often people don't say anything in those situations. He could have not been intp.

So those, in particular. Some emphasis on interactions with people that seem to place slight emphasis on mbti against people that don't seem to be aware of mbti at any particular moment.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 5:43 PM
-->
Although there are some people that I know that have INTP-ish traits, I prefer to hold judgement until they specifically state that they are indeed INTP. As such I have only met one confirmed INTP.

She's kind of soft-spoken and keeps to herself unless she wants to socialize with specific groups of people. Hobbies includes photography and writing. She also takes care of a small band of cats in her house.

Affinity

Local time
-->
What, in the opinions of others, could betray their methods of cloaking?

My camouflage tends to fail in group settings. Oftentimes around people I don't know or in situations where there are conflicting personas, for example when I act a certain way around someone and another way with someone else and we just so happen to be all together.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I think why some people associate INTPs as being chameleons is because they have a vast knowledge of different things and can draw from this knowledge to "blend in." But a real chameleons, don't really have a true self that is steady throughout their lives where they have a point of reference as to who they are when they are by themselves. So, I would associate ENFJs as being more of the Chameleon type rather than the INTP. In fact I would associate chameleons more as the EXFX types than anything else. Of course this is base on the limited knowledge I have on MBTI theory. If anyone wants to make any corrections go right ahead.

Heidi

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:43 AM
-->
Just a thought - how many INTP folks are out there, as a percentage? What are the stats for INTP women?

Sent from my Y88 using Tapatalk

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
That all depends on who you ask. I would say 1-3% of the population.

Kenny

Local time
-->
I remember this girl at a party once. We had some looks and chit chat, then i could tell that she was an INTP.

I walked up to her and said that i knew exactly who she was, with small hints.
Then i spent like 15 minutes explaining further and she got really clingy.

So far so good, we got a bit more drunk and i invited her to my bed.

Yes, i have actually picked up a girl with the help of MBTI :rolleyes:

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->
People seem to test INTP when they get to certain stages of their life. Maybe because they are at the stage where the TI is being explored. If you are in jobs or hobbies where INTP's are interested, you may find more INTP's and that will seemingly skew the odds.

I agree with looking at the functions and seeing what is the dominant function but to say that all of these people are INTP it is not highly probable.

There are lots of "Types" that have Ti. You are recognizing the "TI" in these people.

Foxman49

Subsisting
Local time
-->
I only know one confirmed INTP, and he is traditional Catholic nutcase.* He tests INTP on the tests he's taken multiple times. He got INFP once, but that's probably cause he was in a grip experience at the time.

Occasionally it comes up in conversation that he and I have similar mannerisms. Most peoples comments boil down to, "While that might be true, you aren't an awful person." At least I have that going for me.

*I'm not hating on religion at all. I'm Catholic(-ish) too, but he is belligerently religious (and rigid in his beliefs) to the point of being a A**hole.

Local time
-->
I met one other INTP and he had taken the test before and has heard of the mbti stuff. He is the only other INTP I know so it is interesting to compare his ways of thinking to mine.

baccheion

Local time
-->
As far as I can tell, I've never met another INTP (IRL).

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
I have one really good INTP friend and we share a very twisted sense of humor :D

Our corrections of one another are more like, "Isn't it X instead of Y?", "Oh yeah" It's more amicable.

tpaper91

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've met very few INTPs irl. That being said reading the description of what an INTP is, is something a lot of people can identify with or think they identify with. Did you try reading the description of what an INTJ is or ISTP is or ENTP is or even ISTJ is?
I agree from the surface some people can think they are one personality type without further looking into it.

*sUnShInE*

Green Apple Quick Step
Local time
-->
I've come across one INTP IRL at work. When I first started at my current job 4 years ago I saw him every so often in IT. He struck me immediately because of his alien aura. Distant, yet curious, and a slight inhuman awkwardness. It was obvious he was not like the others rofl. I was like yea that's prolly how I come across too because my reaction to him was how others react to me, intrigued, "what is that", and why do I wanna hug you?

After that I've seen him like once a year, so he must have gotten promoted to the bowels of IT or something. If there's a company thing (which I rarely go to myself) I see him sometimes. Also at the downstairs snack machine, which is usually abandoned, we were both there at the same time. I smiled and he looked so shyyyyyyy haha! In that moment we both knew..:D

Top Bottom