• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mental & Physical Illness question

Joe13414

ENTPlease kill me
Local time
Today 8:20 AM
-->
I was just curious, I have nothing against anyone of any form.
Does anyone have a diagnosed mental or physical illness of any form and how does it effect you?
(ADD, ADHD, Autism, Aspergers, etc...)
I was never diagnosed of one, but all my 4 best friends have ADD.
Any deceitful comments will be deleted.
Resistance is be futile.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:20 AM
-->
This is something I have talked about a lot on this forum. I see no reason to hide it. You just haven't been here long enough to see my posts on this stuff, but very well, once again:

I have been diagnosed with a very serious mental illness called Schizoaffective Disorder. It is essentially a blend of bipolar and schizophrenia, meaning I have some symptoms of both, but not enough for a dual diagnosis. This means I have disorganised thinking so doing things that other people take for granted is very difficult for me, like keeping a regular productive routine and basically just getting things done.

I also have ADHD. This keeps me from being able to pay attention to things for as long as a normal individual.

Overall its not like its the end of the world that I suffer from these things, but it does make some things difficult for me and ensures that I will never be "normal".

Joe13414

ENTPlease kill me
Local time
-->
This is something I have talked about a lot on this forum. I see no reason to hide it. You just haven't been here long enough to see my posts on this stuff, but very well, once again:

I have been diagnosed with a very serious mental illness called Schizoaffective Disorder. It is essentially a blend of bipolar and schizophrenia, meaning I have some symptoms of both, but not enough for a dual diagnosis. This means I have disorganised thinking so doing things that other people take for granted is very difficult for me, like keeping a regular productive routine and basically just getting things done.

I also have ADHD. This keeps me from being able to pay attention to things for as long as a normal individual.

Overall its not like its the end of the world that I suffer from these things, but it does make some things difficult for me and ensures that I will never be "normal".

Sorry about that, I can't reply much because I feel I can't relate, and It would be wrong to try to. Normal is a bad thing, being normal isn't colorful, normal is a bland mediocre grey, we are all colorful in a way, so it be a few colors, we are all individuals.
The feels got me :angel:

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
I actually have a schizoaffective dx as well, but it's been revised to bipolar II because the hallucinations I experienced were attributed to an isolated extreme manic episode. My only real issue now that the mood swings have evened out (through diet and exercise vs constant meds) is circadian rhythm (what's that?).

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
Today 1:20 AM
-->
oh, this is an interesting question ^^;

Something that I've researched a lot is how physical and mental disorders affect/cause each other. There actually isn't much difference between the two, I think. The mind/nervous system determines the overall chemical balance of the body after all, so an imbalance in neurotransmitters can cause detrimental physical effects over time. Physical illness, too, leads to emotional stress and so can undermine mental health.

I grew up in an abusive environment with my schizophrenic mother, so started experiencing heavy stress from a young age. The first signs of illness in me were mental, I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression at age 6 and OCD at age 8. Soon after, at age 9, I became very ill with autoimmune disorders. It's taken the rest of my life up to now for me to learn how to repair what was damaged, but via my research I've been able to find a road to healing by approaching the overall problem from both medical and psychological directions.

I believe that in general hardship presents an opportunity for growth. When faced with an obstacle, one can either fall into despair and give up, or learn how to overcome it and therefore become wiser in the end. My illness has caused me a great deal of suffering, at some times I've been bedridden for months, and at worst incapable of coherent cognition. It has challenged my sense of self and even my will to live at times, caused me to fail others and threatened my most important relationships and dreams. But it has also inspired me to learn and grow. On the journey to healing I've learned a great deal about integrative medicine, herbology, analytical psychology, and the particulars of the human system and how to care for it as a whole. I've grown in acceptance and compassion for others, recognizing the inevitability of human frailty and being able to not only resonate with suffering, but to understand why it happens the way it does. This understanding has freed me from biased judgements of others, allowing me to experience a greater and more stable depth of love for them. I think, even though it's been difficult, and even though I wouldn't choose to suffer as I have, I'm thankful for the experience and how it has made me a better person in the end.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:20 AM
-->
oh, this is an interesting question ^^;

Something that I've researched a lot is how physical and mental disorders affect/cause each other. There actually isn't much difference between the two, I think. The mind/nervous system determines the overall chemical balance of the body after all, so an imbalance in neurotransmitters can cause detrimental physical effects over time. Physical illness, too, leads to emotional stress and so can undermine mental health.

I grew up in an abusive environment with my schizophrenic mother, so started experiencing heavy stress from a young age. The first signs of illness in me were mental, I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression at age 6 and OCD at age 8. Soon after, at age 9, I became very ill with autoimmune disorders. It's taken the rest of my life up to now for me to learn how to repair what was damaged, but via my research I've been able to find a road to healing by approaching the overall problem from both medical and psychological directions.

I believe that in general hardship presents an opportunity for growth. When faced with an obstacle, one can either fall into despair and give up, or learn how to overcome it and therefore become wiser in the end. My illness has caused me a great deal of suffering, at some times I've been bedridden for months, and at worst incapable of coherent cognition. It has challenged my sense of self and even my will to live at times, caused me to fail others and threatened my most important relationships and dreams. But it has also inspired me to learn and grow. On the journey to healing I've learned a great deal about integrative medicine, herbology, analytical psychology, and the particulars of the human system and how to care for it as a whole. I've grown in acceptance and compassion for others, recognizing the inevitability of human frailty and being able to not only resonate with suffering, but to understand why it happens the way it does. This understanding has freed me from biased judgements of others, allowing me to experience a greater and more stable depth of love for them. I think, even though it's been difficult, and even though I wouldn't choose to suffer as I have, I'm thankful for the experience and how it has made me a better person in the end.

That was well said. I think anyone who has had obstacles in the way of mental illness who have learned about what they have, and accept it, gain a great deal of self awareness in the process to recovery.

Top Bottom