• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Morning / Evening People?

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
Today 4:42 PM
-->
When I get up in the mornings and for a few hours afterward my brain is practically useless, not really waking up until around noontime. And after that I don't reach peak mental acuity until the wee hours of the morn. At least, that's when I get really introspective for whatever reason. Is this common to other INTP's or just a quirk of mine?

Local time
Today 11:42 PM
-->
I think you should make a poll.

Btw I'm an evening type too, and I find it annoying how the structure of the world is built on the morning types' rythm. It'd be better if people could handle their time more flexible. I'm not sure how this would effect on productivity, maybe we could live in a less stressful world. (For example, if there would be more night workers than now, not just on a minimal level, the public transport, shops, restaurants or buffets would need more workers, and maybe the public safety at night would be better.) And everybody would sing and play with kittens and butterflies.

The best is how they react when you wake up later than them. They think you are a lazy asshole, and that they work more. It's really stupid. Sometimes they wake me up, I ask what happened, and they say: just didn't want you to sleep, it's almost lunchtime. Oh, okay, it's logical. And yes, I know, it's pretty hard to wake up earlier, when you went to bed at 03:00 on monday. But I hate when they try to control my rythm.

Oh, and here comes the solution: go to bed earlier. Yeah, when I'm active, functioning good, and not sleepy, I'll go to bed. Of course I will. (Though I'm worrying for my health, so I try to go to bed earlier. Sometimes.)

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
-->
I didn't really think a poll was necessary, since the primary wonderment was on the exact nature of others' daily rhythms, and I don't think a yes / no question of "Are you a morning person" really fulfills that very well. I probably should just have picked a better title.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure the commonly accepted daily schedule of waking in the morning and retiring at night is simply a relic of the times before electric lighting was commonplace, and daylight hours were the only time most people could work. If you live in a big city with people of similar habits it's likely you could follow any schedule you wished, but for everyone else, we're forced to go along with the masses of early-risers. I'd honestly love to sleep while the sun's up and only crawl out of bed at night, when my mind is sharpest (though I haven't yet decided if that's because it takes a while to get it in gear or just my internal clock being strange) and it's not a hundred fucking degrees outside, but apparently there's something wrong with that.

But going back to your second paragraph, that's an interesting idea. Should society adjust to a 24-hour day acceptable to all people, nocturnal or diurnal, rather than the traditional 9-to-5 workday (or whatever you may call it) perhaps more people would venture outside and spend more money, there'd be no (or at least fewer) "rush hours", the overall day would become more consistent, and everyone would be happier. And shit puppies and vomit rainbows.

Local time
-->
I didn't really think a poll was necessary, since the primary wonderment was on the exact nature of others' daily rhythms, and I don't think a yes / no question of "Are you a morning person" really fulfills that very well. I probably should just have picked a better title.

Yeah, I understand your point. Though I'm interested in the ratio of the two label.
I think one can categorize if they feel active during the day, and sleepy in the afternoon, or sleepy during the day, and active in the evening. For me (and some of my relatives) it's like a big slap. "Well, I should go to bed. I was so tired during the day (great logic). Hey, I feel kinda cool. Maybe I should read/watch something."

But anyway, I'm pretty sure the commonly accepted daily schedule of waking in the morning and retiring at night is simply a relic of the times before electric lighting was commonplace, and daylight hours were the only time most people could work.

Yep.

If you live in a big city with people of similar habits it's likely you could follow any schedule you wished, but for everyone else, we're forced to go along with the masses of early-risers.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/why-morning-people-rule-the-world-6488205.html

I'd honestly love to sleep while the sun's up and only crawl out of bed at night, when my mind is sharpest (though I haven't yet decided if that's because it takes a while to get it in gear or just my internal clock being strange) and it's not a hundred fucking degrees outside, but apparently there's something wrong with that.

You should make an experiment and try it out. I mean, making the difference between the internal clock and getting in gear. Not the hundred fucking degrees.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt.../can_a_night_owl_become_a_morning_person.html

Read this, I find it interesting.

"The next rule was that upon waking, I had to leave the house immediately for a half-hour walk. "Can't I just look out the window?" I asked. The answer was no: I needed bright morning light and lots of it. In your hypothalamus is a clump of cells called the suprachiasmatic nucleus that controls circadian rhythms. When light hits your retina, your SCN tells your body to stop pumping out melatonin, a hormone that makes you drowsy. When the light wanes, the melatonin production resumes, and in a few hours, you're ready for bed. By exposing myself to light earlier in the day, I'd train my SCN to shift the whole operation forward a few hours."

Um. I'm interested how many NTs are in a dark room during the day.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 3:42 PM
-->
I don't feel fully awake or alert until somewhere between 5 and 7 PM. Any time before that and I just haven't "woken up" yet, as it were.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
I have a similar problem as an xNTP. I'm somewhat dazed throughout the morning and afternoon. It isn't until I've exercised or until later at night that I'm able to think well. I get some of the worst "brain fog" sometimes. I have been diagnosed with adhd though.

mu is mu

Local time
Today 5:42 PM
-->
When I get up in the mornings and for a few hours afterward my brain is practically useless, not really waking up until around noontime. And after that I don't reach peak mental acuity until the wee hours of the morn. At least, that's when I get really introspective for whatever reason. Is this common to other INTP's or just a quirk of mine?

I definitely am and have always been a morning person, so I'm not sure.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Morning person. By the time evening comes around I'm done, my brain is tired of thinking and I'm out of it. I go to bed early and get up extremely early, the very early morning is a particularly special time because everybody else is asleep and my thoughts can stretch out without hinderance.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I'm basically the opposite of everything stated here.

FrostFern

Local time
Today 6:42 PM
-->
I'm not sure what I am. I always have an awful time the first hour ofter getting out of bed, completely dependent on coffee. The thing is I can't usually sleep soundly for more than 5-6 hours at a time. When I do "sleep in" I spend a lot of time just laying in bed relaxing and thinking, too awake to get back to sleep but too tired to really want to get out of bed if I have no reason to force myself to get up right away.

That said, usually I'm the most awake around 11:00 AM or so, feel like I need a nap for a few hours in the afternoon, then perk up once again towards evening. I actually think I could sleep in two shifts, 1:00 am to 6:00 am, then 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. That would be the most natural for me.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 8:42 AM
-->
I don't care. I go to bed 8 hours before whenever I want to get up. I fall asleep within 10 minutes, sleep for roughly 7.5 hours, give or take 30 minutes. My bed time ranges from 7pm to 4am due to shift work, but it doesn't bother me.

I attribute it to my consistent eating and exercise habits. I go for a run or do high-intensity interval training about 20 minutes after waking and stretching plus a small bite to eat. 6 days a week, no set day, I usually choose at the start of the week based on my work schedule. Typically lasts 30-40 minutes depending on what intensity I exercise at. Although I find I generally gravitate towards as high intensity as possible.

My advice to people who want to change sleeping patterns is to regulate waking times, not sleeping times. It takes me one day to change to a new sleeping schedule, which is handy doing shift work.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 3:42 PM
-->
"Everytime the moon shines I become alive"

The schedules of the working world are unnatural of course, but still even after years of waking up early I never became used to it. I simply just have better concentration and more energy after noon.

Adrift

Adrift
Local time
-->
I become more "alive" at night as well. Although, I seem to be analyzing everything from the time I wake up no matter what. It just get's a little more active at night.

Arc.Demi

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 1:42 AM
-->
am an early riser .. if something happened that made me sleep late and wake up in the evening i feel like my day just have been wasted and my mood get so missed up that i just wanna sleep and wake up again pretending that the previous day just started lol

i think its like the clock gets slower after 3 am until 11 its so quite and relaxing and i feel so open minded at that time , no one is screaming , my sisters are sleeping and am alone in my room listening to some relaxing music while reading a book, drawing or practicing taekwondo and the sunlight from the window lighting all the room *sigh*

you should get a life vampires :p

EvilBlitz

Local time
Tomorrow 10:42 AM
-->
I am sure I have seen information before showing nightowls to typically be smarter than early birds. So I would expect N types to be nightowls on average.

Arc.Demi

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am sure I have seen information before showing nightowls to typically be smarter than early birds. So I would expect N types to be nightowls on average.

thats MEAN X)
its just because at night time people are supposed to be asleep so its quite and nothing can interrupter your thoughts process ..
however its the other way around at my place :slashnew:

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
i hate mornings...i love the night...

something strange to note, all my life ive followed a pretty decent sleep schedule...go to bed at night, get 8 hours, wake up in the am...

but a few years ago, i took an overnight position...and strangely enough, once my body was acclimated to a reverse sleep cycle (waking up at night, sleeping during morning), i found mental function to be almost more stimulating...it was weird. I did that for about 2 years straight...

and now im back to normal hours...and i still fucking hate mornings.

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
-->

Zanderstuud

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Can you hand me that information?

Orson

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 8:42 AM
-->
The only time I don't like getting up early, is when I have to get up for work (or anything else that isn't done entirely out of free will). It's not the mornings themselves I don't like, just that I'm getting up so early to go and do something I don't particularly want to do.

I will set my alarm for 6:00am on a work day, and without fail I won't wake up until somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00 (if I'm lucky). However on my days off, I set no alarm, and I find myself waking up sometimes even before 6:00am!

Truth be told, early mornings are actually quite nice. There is nothing quite like that particular time in the morning when the sun isn't quite up, but it's light enough to see as if it were day, and there's a crisp chill in the air, and dew on the grass, and not a sound anywhere around. It's a lovely, peaceful time of the day.

I'm quite capable of staying up until well past midnight without so much as a yawn (and I often do), and I do find that most of my productivity is achieved after sunset. However I would link this more to the fact that if it's day time, and I'm not at work, I want to do whatever is most far away from what can be considered work! :p Surprisingly, I actually quite like my job, I think it's just the mental idea of having to do it that I don't enjoy.

Brains... they're weird.

CallumD

Local time
-->
I just don't like spending too much time with my family. If I spend too much time with them I get angry and frustrated and I don't really spout the anger/frustration anywhere, so it ends up with me having a headache and me going to my room for the next 2 days, plus all my useless ideas come at night time.

Cybeny

Lead, follow, or get out of the way
Local time
Tomorrow 10:42 AM
-->
I'm definitely a morning person. I get up at around 5-6am every morning and its nice to have a couple of hours to myself to get my thoughts in order.

If I could, I would also be an evening person as its another time of the day, where I'm largely by myself, and can just ignore the goings-on of the world. But I haven't quite figured out to run effectively with only a couple hours of sleep.....

Ziast

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Defiantly a creature of the night, which is really unfortunate as I have to be up at 5am during the week. -.-

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
7.25 am, my neighbour just woke up and my glass is empty. Lets see if sleep will come.

Top Bottom