• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

n00b Intro via AMA

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
Hi!

I wandered in from an INTP group on the book of faces. There is a Kodomo-tachi in the "Smilies" section, which has endeared me to this place already.

Instead of introducing myself in the traditional sense, why not ask me random questions, and I'll answer in the best and truest way I know how: I'll flex my "N" and come up with something on the spot.

:kodama1:

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:25 PM
-->
Welcome.

What do you hope the highlights of your obituary will be?

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 6:25 PM
-->
We have another! :kodama2:

And we have:

:chocor: :kujah-1: :witch: :happydolphin: :yaoi: :dontbelieve:

Welcome. Now, if you were being welcomed by a warm, gracious family, and they served slowly strangled stirfry dog in your honour (excuse the gross cultural assumptions), would you eat it?

:tinykitball:

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
Those are the best forum emotes I've seen since I frequented Final Fantasy fansites as a teenager. The yaoi sign held by a floating blob is a masterpiece of absurdity.

Unless I had the chance to save the animal's life before accepting the dish, yes, I'd eat it. Dogs are not inherently more worth-preserving than, say, cows (excuse my own gross cultural assumptions), and strangulation is only marginally less humane than some of the modern ways we kill farmed animals.

Relevant:
Cognitive dissonance is a dish best served on a bed of rice with a side of seasonal vegetables.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Thank you!

I hope that someone finds absurd humor in my obit, and through his or her uncomfortable, stifled laughter, starts to realize (or further appreciate) the futility and unfathomable value of their own life.

Interesting. You said nothing of your own desire for achievement, while indicating a sense of concern for others in an admittedly meaningless world.

Why so selfless?

... a masterpiece of absurdity.

colbert_eyebrow.jpg

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
Interesting. You said nothing of your own desire for achievement, while indicating a sense of concern for others in an admittedly meaningless world.

Why so selfless?

Because I'll be dead. Life is for the living.

By the way, thanks for my daily dose of existential dread. ;)

EDIT: The reference to your username was totally coincidental (or at the most, subconscious).

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Because I'll be dead. Life is for the living.

I suppose that's true.

To be direct, then, what are some things you hope to do before you die?

By the way, thanks for my daily dose of existential dread. ;)

It's what I do.

EDIT: The reference to your username was totally coincidental (or at the most, subconscious).

I know just giving the new guy a hard time. :D

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 5:25 AM
-->
Doesn't kodomo-tachi mean children?

kodomo - child
tachi - group of

Oh wait you meant Kodama-tachi... my bad :kilroy:

Welcome :)

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
Doesn't kodomo-tachi mean children?

kodomo - child
tachi - group of

Oh wait you meant Kodama-tachi... my bad :kilroy:

Welcome :)

Oh. I'm sure I knew Kodama at some point, but I guess I ended up thinking the little guys were just named after kids. I suppose it's not appropriate to call just the one a Kodama-tachi, anyway.

It's still awesome that it's on the front page of smilies. Princess Mononoke has held the top spot in my Favorite Movie List for a long time now.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:25 PM
-->
Welcome.

Have you ever wondered what Humanity will look like once we've had millions of years to evolve and engineer?
Probably something stupid, like tiny little chibi things.

First hit on google, so there you go, that's precisely what people will look like.
Chibi-Inazuma-Eleven-chibi-32395844-1000-1000.jpg

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->

I was born there. Haven't seen the town in 20 years. Some of it was decent back then but it seemed almost half of it was really run down. More so than other cities I've lived in. How is the city now in your view?

(I lived on Up River rd in the Woodlawn area and it was beginning to look pretty bad when we left)

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
The city has grown a lot in 20 years (I've been here almost exactly that long), but it has yet to start being interesting. We've won some awards, though! In recent years we were found to be the fattest city in America and the second least literate.

I stay only because of anxiety issues that would prevent me from thriving in a city any bigger than this.

Did that count as your question?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Did that count as your question?

Yes but it wasn't a very good one I admit. I selfishly went straight into satisfying my own curiosity.

Yet I offer no apologies.

So the town is fat and illiterate. If you had to choose between being fat and being illiterate, is it safe to assume you would choose being fat?

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Welcome, sir Rocco

I have a strange affinity for that name, as it is both the name of my favourite cartoon as well as a nickname for my favorite friend.

You're in good company :D (Both here and in my head)

Question: Why the anxiety about moving out, if nothing too personal?

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
It's personal, but I'm not a secretive person, nor am I ashamed of what challenges me.

I have anxiety in general, and have forever. It became a "condition" soon after I was hit by a pickup truck as a cyclist when I was 14. For a couple of years afterwards, I was terrified of riding as a passenger in vehicles. Pretty crippling phobia for someone without a license, but it healed by the time I graduated High School. I was left with residual uneasiness when driving or riding on large, man-made structures, like spaghetti bowls, large bridges, or highways on a different level as the side streets.

I also have a TERRIBLE innate sense of direction, and get very easily turned around and lost. Navigation would be a nightmare for me in a big city, even with a GPS.

Recently, around the time I started my current job last August, the fear of being a passenger returned with a vengeance, and I didn't get in a vehicle with anyone till last month (and only for short trips around the flat, boring area where I work and grew up). I also now experience claustrophobic panic attacks behind the wheel sometimes, especially at red lights and in unfamiliar areas, and when I have a passenger, and if I become boxed-in by traffic.

I'm working on it, and am very proud of my progress. But for now, "moving on up" isn't a viable option.

...or did you mean you didn't want to hear about it if was too personal... oops!

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
It's personal, but I'm not a secretive person, nor am I ashamed of what challenges me.

I have anxiety in general, and have forever. It became a "condition" soon after I was hit by a pickup truck as a cyclist when I was 14. For a couple of years afterwards, I was terrified of riding as a passenger in vehicles. Pretty crippling phobia for someone without a license, but it healed by the time I graduated High School. I was left with residual uneasiness when driving or riding on large, man-made structures, like spaghetti bowls, large bridges, or highways on a different level as the side streets.

I also have a TERRIBLE innate sense of direction, and get very easily turned around and lost. Navigation would be a nightmare for me in a big city, even with a GPS.

Recently, around the time I started my current job last August, the fear of being a passenger returned with a vengeance, and I didn't get in a vehicle with anyone till last month (and only for short trips around the flat, boring area where I work and grew up). I also now experience claustrophobic panic attacks behind the wheel sometimes, especially at red lights and in unfamiliar areas, and when I have a passenger, and if I become boxed-in by traffic.

I'm working on it, and am very proud of my progress. But for now, "moving on up" isn't a viable option.

...or did you mean you didn't want to hear about it if was too personal... oops!

Oh, sheesh! That's incredibly scary; I've been in a few crashes (thankfully none very traumatic) and it resulted in me developing a much more cautious style of driving.

I'm glad you've made progress on that issue - and I mean that.

Local time
Today 5:25 AM
-->
Welcome.

What's the landscape like (I mean, I can guess and/or Google, but...), and are there any critters of interest there? Oh, and if the world were reduced to Texas and Louisiana, in which would you choose to live and why?

Also, by my decree, you're now not allowed to leave, after writing this:
I'm not a secretive person, nor am I ashamed of what challenges me.
:beatyou:

Rocco

^^^ What he said
Local time
-->
What's the landscape like (I mean, I can guess and/or Google, but...), and are there any critters of interest there? Oh, and if the world were reduced to Texas and Louisiana, in which would you choose to live and why?
You mean varmits? We call animals varmits here.

You've got your kye-oat, your armadilluh, then your ratt'ler, your longhorns, buff'lows, skeeters, and dayurs.

It's kind of backwards here, but I'd still pick Texas over Louisiana. Given the ability (and I don't use that word lightly) to live anywhere in the state, there is a lot more variety to pick from in terms of both culture and landscape.

Oh right, the landscape! I guess I maybe answered your question? Corpus in particular is a coastal town. Totally flat, lots of palm trees... like most of Florida, but with a much greater cultural influence from its nearby Second World Country.

EDIT:
You Guys said:
"Also, by my decree, you're now not allowed to leave, after writing this:"

"I agree. I like Rocco."

You guys.

Top Bottom