• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Need for Categorization

lightfire

Local time
Today 12:28 AM
-->
Even though I don't like to admit this, but MBTI does intrigue me. Maybe it has to do with the inherent human need of categorization, which can be dangerous too.

MBTI is great when you first take the test, but it loses meaning when people read too much into the descriptions. I have seen other types who were impressed with INTPs, including myself, and tried to force fit themselves into the INTP mold with disastrous results. I believed I was an INTP for the longest time (hence why I am here), but to be honest, I'm not sure what type I am.

I've taken MBTI in many different states of mind and received many results. First time I took it, I got ISTP, then I got INTJ, then INTP. If I took it on a bad day, out of curiosity, I got INFP or INFJ. And one time a (self-proclaimed) INTP said that I came across as an ISFJ. I was also told I came across as an Ne dominant type. I have read the descriptions of each one of them and could be like "Yeah that is definitely me".

All I took away from the test/general life experience, is that I am introverted, because it's clear:
-introverts expend energy interacting with others, while extroverts need to be around others to energize.
-introverts need more recharging time than an extrovert (who can recharge in social settings quite easily).

But even then, as a child, I was the most extroverted person in the world. I'm sure that changes in adulthood. Because of that, I question the introversion too at times. Perhaps it happened because of environmental factors? If I was in another type of environment, would I have grown up extroverted?

Putting MBTI aside, I am highly interested in studying how peoples thought processes and personalities are shaped by putting them in different scenarios. Rather than studying the thought processes and personalities as is. Totally impossible?

I wish I can categorize myself of one of the 16 types. The closest I can say without a doubt is I***.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
I can only really type people I know well. If it helps, though, you come across to me (from the things you say, as IxFx for sure. If I *had* to choose, I'd say INFJ, but take that with a grain of salt.

As to the "need for categorization" referred to in your title, I've always been terrible at understanding other people and why they do the things they do or want the things they want. For instance, I never understood why so many people are so hung up on tradition and normalcy for its own sake (father is put out that I never make my bed; I see no point because it'll just get messed up again, it takes effort, nobody will see it, etc.). I don't think I really use it to "discriminate" against people or anything; it's just a way for me to ease a task I find difficult (interacting with others).

It's mostly been useful in letting me realize that people are driven by different things and that not everyone is like me (seems obvious in retrospect *facepalm*). Also in realizing that there's not necessarily something "wrong" with how I think. And realizing the limitations of certain people, i.e. "sensor" types generally don't *want* to talk about abstract things. This used to frustrate me, especially when I'd try to talk about those things anyways, because that's pretty much the only stuff that actually interests me.

Honestly, it's more of a way to organize your own thoughts than anything. I figure out people's "types" based on my own observation. So what I'm really doing is realizing, "ah, this person is heavily driven by tradition/their own internal values/pleasing others" (Si/Fi/Fe) and react based on that. I guess it's "categorization" but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Admittedly, I tend to prefer the company of fellow INxx sorts, but it's not like I decide "I will only hang out with people I type as X". I just like being able to actually talk about things I like to other people who like those things, and I'd be drawn to the same people regardless of whether I knew about MBTI.

As for finding my own type, yeah, idk. I've questioned it a lot, but I don't see anything I could really be other than INTP. This is based mostly only the cognitive process stuff, but there's also the fact that everyone I've met who knows about personality typing asks me if I'm INTP without me so much as mentioning it.

EDIT: Holy crap am I long-winded. I'm not sure why it takes me so long to convey things that others can say far more concisely. Happens in class too. You know the stereotype of kids struggling to fill a word count on an essay? Yeah... I have to trim words out to fit into the upper bound.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:28 PM
-->
As for what type you are, no clue. I’ve been busy lately and can’t literally cater to every single whim, instantly. I’m unsure what kind of thinking or mindset that. As long as you know yourself, that’s mostly important, although you still have to care what people think about. Someone basically calls you gay, even though we all know you aren’t, then you have to waste an extra post just to explain you aren’t? JUST for any extra social interaction with a said person?

Anyway, it can take months to know someone or yourself after taking MBTI. You have to impress other people to make it seem like only what you know is valuable to them. You can narrow it down, I know for sure I’m no dom, aux, or tert Fe. Seem Ti rather than Fi (or maybe all the Ne-Fi people I know are actually ESFP instead?). I didn’t just believe I was INTP when I first heard about it (guy who introduced me to it was INTJ). Belief is the death of intelligence. I researched and didn’t stop until satisfied with enough knowledge. Pod’lair is basically the same exact thing, just with different names. It doesn’t help at all, besides using the one opportunity to exercise your memory and show off to others that you took some time to memorize it for any valuable knowledge.

lightfire

Local time
-->
Pod'lair is straight up creepy. Actually I think we all knew a guy (or girl) from that cult, Idk man, the general vibes were the worst.

I just took an unofficial mbti thingy again and got:

• You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (72%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (44%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (47%)
  • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (31%)

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
You could try posting a video if that doesn't make you uncomfortable. I usually can't analyze people online very well.
The test pretty much tells you nothing if you already know mbti. The only result I take at all seriously is my first one.

lightfire

Local time
-->
The first time I took the unofficial mbti I got ISTP, but when I took it with a professor who was a clinical psychologist like back in 2011/2012, I got INTJ.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
The thinking vs. feeling, etc. test isn't very useful, either. Do it by cognitive functions or not at all, because "goes to party"/"stays at home" doesn't help.

Although, tip: if you frequently run into stuff (shoutout to all the poles I've hit while misjudging the distance between me and them), trip over your own feet, or feel like the world around you is just a backdrop, you're don't have *either* sensing function in your top two.

Other tip: if you're willing to spend an evening on it, read Camus' the Stranger. From my English class, the NT types are interested in Meursault's philosophy and lifestyle. NF types spend the whole time indignant at his callousness. SJ types are like "wtf is the point in existentialism seems like baloney garbage to me". Adieu.

lightfire

Local time
-->
What about SP?

I don't relate to Meursault, nor do I look down on him for having a different philosophy or lifestyle. I just think its a different perspective and I appreciate it. I would agree to disagree if him and I were to debate about life.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Oh. I'm not really sure as I haven't really spent much time around/been friends with SPs (not conscious design, just the way things happen I guess. I don't tend to have much in common). They're probably what passes for "cool" in an AP class and have no taste for book discussions because they'd rather be doing something? They'd also probably rather read something action-driven (although, Meursault may very well be ISTP, if not an INTP. I relate to him and his internal thought process a lot, though I don't think I'd shoot an Arab).

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 5:28 AM
-->
See the problem with categorization is that it requires to know something before you categorize it. The level of categorization is also necessary to consider in respect to various things. For example each category has some sample unit that fits the category, but how many parameters you associate with the given unit to fit it in to the category to create a framework is also interesting aspect of categorization.

For example there are different ways artist categorize colors depending on the way they use them. Vegetables have two types of categories. Either gastronomic or botanic. Peoples personalities can be categorized in very many boxes. You can literally create your own personality system and just put people into boxes you like. It takes probably less time than you would imagine. For all you know it might eventually be more useful for you personally than using MBTI.

We all have categories and we all make observations. Its the way we simplifie the world in order to make our thinking more effortless and efficient.

lightfire

Local time
-->
I have since categorized myself as a botato

Top Bottom