• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Personality and the brain.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Yesterday 11:25 PM
-->
a lot of psychology doesn't seem to talk much about the actual underlying organ that our personalities emerge from. I, on the other hand, have always wanted to know what the difference between the actual brains of different personalities are.

it's been my theory that extroverted judging takes place in a more emotional part of the brain (whether its Fe or Te) and thats why it happens more 'beneath the surface' and isn't consciously controlled, where introverted judging functions happen more in the rational part of the brain (whether its Ti or Fi).

i read this on wikipedia:

The relative importance of nature versus environment in determining the level of extraversion is controversial and the focus of many studies. Twin studies find a genetic component of 39% to 58%. In terms of the environmental component, the shared family environment appears to be far less important than individual environmental factors that are not shared between siblings.[13]
Eysenck proposed that extraversion was caused by variability in cortical arousal. He hypothesized that introverts are characterized by higher levels of activity than extraverts and so are chronically more cortically aroused than extraverts. The fact that extraverts require more external stimulation than introverts has been interpreted as evidence for this hypothesis. Other evidence of the "stimulation" hypothesis is that introverts salivate more than extraverts in response to a drop of lemon juice.[14]
Extraversion has been linked to higher sensitivity of the mesolimbic dopamine system to potentially rewarding stimuli.[15] This in part explains the high levels of positive affect found in extraverts, since they will more intensely feel the excitement of a potential reward. One consequence of this is that extraverts can more easily learn the contingencies for positive reinforcement, since the reward itself is experienced as greater.
One study found that introverts have more blood flow in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or frontal thalamus, which are areas dealing with internal processing, such as planning and problem solving. Extraverts have more blood flow in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes, and posterior thalamus, which are involved in sensory and emotional experience.[16] This study and other research indicates that introversion-extraversion is related to individual differences in brain function.
a lot of that to me sounds like what i had thought of. i'm curious as to what other people think could be the neurological differences between not only extroversion and introversion, but all of the other functions, especially the perceiving functions, as i have yet to formulate a cohesive theory about that. if anybody knows of any opinions, sources and/or literature (maybe something better then wikipedia) on the subject, i'd be very interested in reading it.

Local time
Yesterday 8:25 PM
-->
Very interesting. ...I was gonna make a better post, but my nephew just woke up. =3

... CARS?? VROOM! VROOM! ... =3

zephryi

Local time
-->
This is something I've been intrigued by too after finding the bit of info you just posted there in several introvert/extrovert centric books (Sorry, I don't have titles D: ) Unfortunately, I haven't found any information on functions or J/P. : / However, as a suggestion, maybe searching through psychological journals may yield some results?

Though, from what you've posted, you'd think that there'd be a heavy leaning towards introverts with T and extroverts with F....

According to data found here...: http://www.delta-associates.com/MBTIApps030607/TypeTablePercentages030607.htm
22.4% are IxTx, 28.5% are IxFx
18% are ExTx, 31.4% are ExFx

...seems like there's a leaning toward F in general... Though estimates from here -> http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/estimated-frequencies.htm, taking the lowest percentage:
20% IxTx, 19% IxFx
16% ExTx, 21% ExFx

Adds up only 76%, due to the variances the percentage : / However, it would show a slight lean towards T for introverts, and a heavier lean towards F for extraverts.

it's been my theory that extroverted judging takes place in a more emotional part of the brain (whether its Fe or Te) and thats why it happens more 'beneath the surface' and isn't consciously controlled, where introverted judging functions happen more in the rational part of the brain (whether its Ti or Fi).

I'm not really sure how you came up with that conclusion, and I'd appreciate if you could explain a bit further. ^^

If you assume an extrovert's brain is more "emotional," as there is higher blood flow in corresponding regions, and an introvert's is more rational due to the blood flow in regions for planning and problem solving mentioned above, then I think it could be reasonably concluded that, assuming also that extroverted judging functions are "emotional, and introverted judging functions are "rational" as stated above, there would be a greater concentration of judging extroverts and perceiving introverts, as that would mean that judging is extroverted for the former, and introverted for the latter, corresponding to "emotional" and "rational" respectively.

According to the same source as the first:
25.3% of ExxJ, 24.1% of ExxP (Extroverted judging over introverted judging)
29% of IxxJ, 21.9 of IxxP (Extroverted judging over introverted judging)

From the second source:
21% of ExxJ, 16% of ExxP ("")
23% of IxxJ 16% of IxxP ("")

Seems to me that there is simply an overall lean towards extroverted judging as a dominant or auxiliary function.

((Eh, sorry for length. I started thinking about things and got a bit carried away. Hope some of this is mildly interesting. ^^;; ))

Local time
Yesterday 8:25 PM
-->
This is something that I've been thinking a lot about recently as well. I'm really curious as to what the underlying neurological causes for ones personality type are. Unfortunately I don't have much to contribute in terms of ideas, but hopefully as continue taking more psych classes at school ( taking neuroscience next semester) and keep studying mbti, I'll be able to form some theories of my own.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I'm not really sure how you came up with that conclusion, and I'd appreciate if you could explain a bit further. ^^

the way the brain works is that decisions are made either emotionally or with our reasoning. the emotional decision making is based off of trial and error: when we are anticipating something, the brain releases small amounts of dopamine, then when we do something right, the brain rewards itself with a larger amount of dopamine; when we do something wrong, it cuts off the dopamine. i usually like to think of it like this: when i'm playing chess and i make a move that ends up being great for me, i feel great. its almost a rush. if it ends up being bad for me in some unforseen way, i feel stupid and defeated, because my brain is punishing itself. in this way, the brain learns to avoid such behaviors that will cause it to cut off dopamine. we don't have to consciously think about this process, its happening "behind the scenes".

the rational decision making is a slower, conscious type of thought process, using logic and reason. we have to think through the cause and effects, the line of clues leading up to some conclusion. its the difference between the parent that lets their kid stick the fork in the toaster and the parent that tells their kid the reasons why its a bad idea: in the former the kid will learn, through his emotional center, that its a bad idea. in the latter the kid will know why its a bad idea, but won't intuitively know that it is the way they will with the former.

of course, one interesting thing about the human brain is that it can rationalize the decisions we make with our emotional decision making center, but thats a different thread on its own.

well, with that all said and done, the theory that i've conconcted is that introverted thinking (Ti) and introverted feeling (Fi) are both centered in the rational part of the brain. one has to lose the notion that F = emotional. these are both 'logic' oriented functions, as they both take conscious thought and reasoning to make conclusions, they simply use different lines of reasoning. to be fair, both functions could be said to be 'feeling' as both of them are just as subjective as the other, one is simply using logic that focuses on a detached perspective while the other uses a logic focused on internal values.

the fact that we predominantly use the slower reasoning function could account for our perceived indecisiveness and procrastination.

on the other hand, extroverted thinking (Te) and extroverted feeling (Fe) are emotional decision making processes, happening in the unconscious part of the brain. this is why INTP's don't have to consciously 'chameleon' the way they do using Fe. this is why an INTJ is much faster at decision making then an INTP: because they don't have to sit around and think about it using their reasoning center, they do first and rationalize afterwards (and the shadow Fi could account for their stubborness for their own ideals). this is why 'J' people do things off of hunches and intuition; they can know something without having to have spent a lot of time thinking about it. as the wikipedia article says, they receive higher rewards for doing things, which tells me that the emotional decision making center is more active, which is why 'J' people are often thought to be much more goal oriented, as they are seeking that dopamine reward for getting things done. Te and Fe are simply two different ways of emotional decision making.

i suppose this brings me to why i want to know the neurological functions of perceiving. my hypothesis (i hesitate to call it a theory) is that the Ne brain has more executive function connections in the brain that connect to the parts that hold and create ideas, while Si is perhaps more well connected to memory (particularly emotional memory) areas. Ni is perhaps connected to memories in a different way. i've read before that Ni is often responsible for epiphany's, which leads me to believe that it has some connection to information already in the brain and has a way of putting it together 'behind the scenes'. Se executive functions could be connected to the process of compiling and sorting through sensory information.

thats all purely speculative, of course, which is why i'm interested in other peoples theories about the neurological functions of our perceiving functions (Ne, Ni, Se, Si).

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 5:25 AM
-->
Other evidence of the "stimulation" hypothesis is that introverts salivate more than extraverts in response to a drop of lemon juice.

wtf?

Apparantly the F/T function is influenced by our hormones.
I read an article, that if a baby gets a lot of testosterone while in the womb the ring finger will grow longer, if it gets a lot of oestrogene the index finger will grow longer.
Subsequently, studies have shown, that people with long ringfingers tend to be rational and especially women with long ring fingers do more sports, rather play a musical instrument and are more often homosexual.
On the other hand of course, people with longer index fingers are more feeling types.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
Today 4:25 AM
-->
wtf?

Apparantly the F/T function is influenced by our hormones.
I read an article, that if a baby gets a lot of testosterone while in the womb the ring finger will grow longer, if it gets a lot of oestrogene the index finger will grow longer.
Subsequently, studies have shown, that people with long ringfingers tend to be rational and especially women with long ring fingers do more sports, rather play a musical instrument and are more often homosexual.
On the other hand of course, people with longer index fingers are more feeling types.

Hmm...mine are the EXACT same length. Might explain my 'slightly expressed thinking' results and EN?P-ish days. :p

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Yep, Enne, mine are the same length too. Well, hmmm, on second look, I think the ring finger might be ever so slightly longer, but it's very close. I've heard a similar theory about homosexuality, but I can't remember what it said. According to it, I should be bisexual? lol

thats all purely speculative, of course, which is why i'm interested in other peoples theories about the neurological functions of our perceiving functions (Ne, Ni, Se, Si).
Ne - tolerance of complexity
Ni - memory of meaning
Se - tolerance of sensory stimuli
Si - memory of details

It seems to me that extroverted perceiving functions (Ne/Se) are a matter of how much the brain is willing to "tolerate" before rushing to make an emotional judgment. While the introverted ones (Ni/Si) are a matter of how keenly one stores information. I also think the Is tend to come with a greater sense of confidence, while the Es are by nature more insecure. Not insecure in a "bad" way per se, but more in a curious way.

I also think that IxxPs take in more information for the purpose of judging. For instance, INTPs use Ne to feed Ti. Perhaps these types' brains reward more dopamine while "anticipating" so they can hold on longer before finally making a judgment. Like "keeping your eye on the prize", so to speak.

While ExxPs take in more information for the hell of it, basically. For them it's more about the experience itself. That's why ENTPs make good comedians. Perhaps these types experience a greater dopamine release from sheer experience itself, while ExxJs do so when they "do something right".

Just some ideas that popped up. I'm probably way off on this...

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 5:25 AM
-->
I might add: The length of the ring finger is determined by measuring from the innermost line at the root. I could only really determine which one is longer, because the alignment of my fingers is pretty "round".

Also, the right hand is usually more "masculine".

Top Bottom