• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Phobias

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
Everyone has something they're afraid of. Whether it be general things or more specific things. There are many types of fear whether you have Hydrophobia, Geliophobia, Cacophobia, Nomatophobia, etc. (The possibilities are endless) Anyways, I am curious if INTPs have specific phobias based on their personality. For me, I am a moderate Claustrophobic (not enough to be afraid in a crowd, but enough to be have a small meltdown from being trapped in an elevator.) So, give some or all of your phobia(s) it will be interesting to see if a pattern arises. This information won't be used against anyone :phear: (I'm too cool for that!:cool: ha ha ha!!!

Sapphire Harp

Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
I have discomforts, but nothing strong enough to be called a even a moderate phobia, I'd think. I wanted to post, though, because I was reading this science article just a few minutes before:

Phobias may develop before birth
. A small extract:
Scientists put pregnant crickets into terrariums containing a wolf spider. The spiders' fangs were covered with wax so the spiders could stalk but not kill the pregnant crickets. After the crickets laid their eggs, the researchers compared the behavior of the offspring with offspring whose mothers hadn't been exposed to spiders.

The differences were dramatic, the scientists said.

The newborn crickets whose mothers had been exposed to a spider were 113 percent more likely to seek shelter and stay there. They were also more likely to freeze when they encountered spider silk or feces — a behavior that could prevent them from being detected by a nearby spider. Overall, these newborns had better survival rates than other newborn crickets, eaten by the wolf spiders for the sake of science.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 4:50 AM
-->
I once had a swimming bet with my cousin a few years ago. Now I consider myself to be a fairly average swimmer so I accepted the challenge.

The challenge was to swim out to a buoy some distance out from the beach (it was pretty fecking far but not something that I thought was beyond my ability). He went first and it took him quite a while to get there and back but he achieved it.

Next it was my turn and so I began swimming. I remember swimming for what felt like an age to get to this buoy. When I finally got there I was actually quite tired and so I just grabbed hold of it to catch my breath. I looked down and all I saw was a chain that decended into a black abyss. I then began thinking about Jaws for some stupid reason and it kinda freaky me out a bit. Sharks freak me out. I think their eye and many teeth combination just don't equake to a happy feeling in any way or form in my mind.

I decided to leave the buoy and head back but when I turned to face the beach my heart sank. Whilst I was making my length journey to the buoy the tide was silently making its way further into the cove. The distance I had to swim back was now over twice that of what I had swam to get to the buoy. :eek:

I think this is the only thing that has ever truly scared me because I thought I'd tire out and get swept out to sea.

Obviously I made it back but for a brief moment; I thought I was a gonner.

Kokoro

Local time
-->
This thread might be of interest to you, citrus: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=5838

Myself, I do not have any phobias now. When I was younger I had sparkalaphobia, the fear of glitter, and panniophobia, the fear of stickers, haha. I realized one day how dumb it was and forced myself to snap out of.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 11:50 AM
-->
i got fear of insects. still.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
1. Slimy things...just...don't feel comfortable with that feel...
2. Feeling dirty/greasy. Uncleanness.
3. Heights
4. Failure
5. Was scared of swimming/water till age 14.

I'll think of some more later.

Saeros

Destroyer of Worlds
Local time
Today 3:50 PM
-->
let's see:
- stairs without risers.
- heights
- guns
- bombs
- fear
- snakes
- spiders
- public speaking
that's all i'll write, but i could probably go on ad infinitum.

Shatokan

Newest Hostile
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
public speaking, but i can get over that quite easily by changing my outlook on what i'm doing, i've done it before, otherwise i don't have more than a dislike for anything. Except onions and mushrooms, hate them.

Edit: Getting my crap stolen scares the shit outta me.

Lithorn

Local time
-->
I too am claustrophobic. It's pretty severe though not debilitating. The feelings of being physically restrained and of having no exit rout actually make me nauseated.

citrusbreath95

Local time
-->
I too am claustrophobic. It's pretty severe though not debilitating. The feelings of being physically restrained and of having no exit rout actually make me nauseated.

It's horrible! Actually once I was at a fair, and when the ride I was on ended this guy came around to unlock the seat belts. Well the guy came around and pretended it was stuck, I felt as if my stomach was disintegrating inside of me, I could sense the look of fear on my face and did my best to hide it, but it must have been obvious as the guy suddenly said he was only kidding and gave a nervous laugh. Well enough of my personal experiances, only I really need to conquer this fear, what a challenge!:storks:

Lithorn

Local time
-->
For me, one of the worst things is parties. I despise having to weave slowly around people instead of moving freely. People at parties are always asking me what I'm nervous about. Apparently my eyes dart around, memorizing the exits in those situations.

Alice?

Local time
Yesterday 9:50 PM
-->
All right, let's see... I'd have to say my worst fear is public failure. It's gotten to the point where I only contribute answers in my classes if I am positive that I am correct.
Another one is being alone in unfamiliar social situations. I think I probably have some sort of social anxiety. Unless I'm around the people that I know well I have a miniature meltdown where I can't think of the right things to say and start blushing and stuttering like mad. That has surprising gotten worse as I've gotten a little older.
Apart from those I'm scared of: the dark (irrational, I know, but I blame it on my overactive and, at times, unbearably vivid imagination), nuclear warfare, crazy ass rollercoasters, and slimy sea creatures.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 2:50 PM
-->
Today was group sign on day at university. In order to join the organizations desired I was required to attend. Navigating through the vast crowds was fine. Appearing at the designated booths and engaging in conversations with various people of unknown origins was an easy task. After business was completed I stopped and wondered to enjoy the sites and sounds. The enjoyment came to an abrupt halt when I started recognizing people I know. The crowds transformed from an interesting observation to a suffocating mix of site, sound and smell. Paranoia kicked in and I started to perceive people as observing me when all logic indicated the opposite. Internal calamity struck as the girl that I asked on date and rejected me, for reasons of her defectiveness (a.k.a. lying), eyes met. Her micro-expressions displayed joy and intentions of conversing. With a blank expression I quickly shoved a cig in my mouth and lit it and proceeded to abort the scenario.

Cigarettes are always handy in undesirable situations.

Today's events probably translate into a fear of something or some sort of inadequacy signal. I am fine fine standing in front of a thousand people giving a talk on environmental impact assessment, fine with strangers but when it comes to people I have history with, be it positive or negative, I get nervous. I think that I am paranoid about them being as scrupulously observant as I am.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
Today's events probably translate into a fear of something or some sort of inadequacy signal. I am fine fine standing in front of a thousand people giving a talk on environmental impact assessment, fine with strangers but when it comes to people I have history with, be it positive or negative, I get nervous. I think that I am paranoid about them being as scrupulously observant as I am.

I never had the sense about me to consider why this was. I generally recede into myself in large crowds. The few times I do become observant I get that sense of paranoia you talk about. Almost as if it is something that shouldn't be done.

For me, I think it's because I don't want people to be aware that I can be as observant as I am. There are times when I will purposely look away from something I find interesting.

As for my other fears/discomforts:

-heights
-failure
-losing my sanity
-judgement

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
-people with guns
-people with power and no flexibility of mind
-combinations of the above

Edit:

What Flow said in the other thread about the internet becoming chaotic strikes a chord too.

ProxyAmenRa

Local time
-->
I never had the sense about me to consider why this was. I generally recede into myself in large crowds. The few times I do become observant I get that sense of paranoia you talk about. Almost as if it is something that shouldn't be done.

For me, I think it's because I don't want people to be aware that I can be as observant as I am. There are times when I will purposely look away from something I find interesting.

As for my other fears/discomforts:

-heights
-failure
-losing my sanity
-judgement

Losing your sanity shouldn't be a fear. It is probably the best thing that could possibly happen to you. XD

What do you do when two fears conflict with one another?

Here is an example: There is a rickety old ladder extending to a watch house 120 foot in the air. If you don't climb up there your friends will mock you to death (your failing to do something and possible you will be judged) and if you climb up there there is a good chance that you can fall off and die; what would you do?

citrusbreath95

Local time
-->
All right, let's see... I'd have to say my worst fear is public failure. It's gotten to the point where I only contribute answers in my classes if I am positive that I am correct.
Another one is being alone in unfamiliar social situations. I think I probably have some sort of social anxiety. Unless I'm around the people that I know well I have a miniature meltdown where I can't think of the right things to say and start blushing and stuttering like mad. QUOTE]

I'm like that a lot. Do you get to the point where your heart is pounding a mile an hour if you are about to say something in a class discussion? For me, I also am afraid how my voice comes out (that sounds weird) usually I get so nervous and worked up (over nothing it seems), that it comes out unusual, I also get very repetitive and if I'm trying to explain something (this is for people I am not really friends with) I start to "go in circles" with my words, and I feel as if half the class is looking at me thinking "what is wrong with her?" I rarely (basically never) talk (raising my hand, etc.) in class, actually we usually have seminars in English, and my teacher is frustrated that only a few extraverted individuals talk, and she always gets angry that I don't participate in them, as when we do a written part of the conversation she says she loves my ideas, (I write like 3 pages on a question that could be answered in half) I'm just not good at speaking my ideas to others :elephant:

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 4:50 AM
-->
Losing your sanity shouldn't be a fear. It is probably the best thing that could possibly happen to you. XD

Here is an example: There is a rickety old ladder extending to a watch house 120 foot in the air. If you don't climb up there your friends will mock you to death (your failing to do something and possible you will be judged) and if you climb up there there is a good chance that you can fall off and die; what would you do?

you develop phobophobia and get hit by a train

ProxyAmenRa

Local time
-->
you develop phobophobia and get hit by a train

Well, in my case I had to climb the damn thing to avoid my pride being destroyed. I looked down half way up and almost had an heart attack.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I once had a swimming bet with my cousin a few years ago. Now I consider myself to be a fairly average swimmer so I accepted the challenge.

The challenge was to swim out to a buoy some distance out from the beach (it was pretty fecking far but not something that I thought was beyond my ability). He went first and it took him quite a while to get there and back but he achieved it.

Next it was my turn and so I began swimming. I remember swimming for what felt like an age to get to this buoy. When I finally got there I was actually quite tired and so I just grabbed hold of it to catch my breath. I looked down and all I saw was a chain that decended into a black abyss. I then began thinking about Jaws for some stupid reason and it kinda freaky me out a bit. Sharks freak me out. I think their eye and many teeth combination just don't equake to a happy feeling in any way or form in my mind.

I decided to leave the buoy and head back but when I turned to face the beach my heart sank. Whilst I was making my length journey to the buoy the tide was silently making its way further into the cove. The distance I had to swim back was now over twice that of what I had swam to get to the buoy. :eek:

I think this is the only thing that has ever truly scared me because I thought I'd tire out and get swept out to sea.

Obviously I made it back but for a brief moment; I thought I was a gonner.

When I started to read your post I wasn't sure if you had made it back. Then after some careful reasoning I realized writing your your post would have been difficult hadn't you made it. This proves something about knowing the ending not helping.

I was on a schooner vacation in the Caribbean and they offered to give us a row boat to explore an island. I chose the snorkel alternative and swam. I am not a good swimmer but with the snorkel distance wasn't going to be a problem. Made it to shore, looked around. Fine. Time to go back. I swam out there in the general schooner direction. The waves were now one foot high. I was way down there and couldn't see. Couldn't find the schooner. I wildly looked around while fear set in. I was utterly alone. There were other boats all around me but they were way up high. Finally I went to some random boat and yelled upward. Fortunately someone was on deck. I shouted asking if they saw my schooner. Fortunately they could see it and they pointed out the direction.

When I got home a saw one strap of my snorkel had snapped. I thought, "What if both had snapped?" After this I will take the row boat.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Aside from Re: Phobias, fear of skydiving.

My worst fear is so terrifying I can't tell you. My 2nd worst fear is having pressure put on me to tell you. My 4th worst fear is you will discover my 3rd worst fear is a lark for everyone else and I'd be so ashamed.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->

lol thats brutal. what are you some kind of sadist? I would climb the ladder and be shitting my pants at the same time.

I liked the qualifier that sapphire harp used, "discomfort", which is why I tacked it on. These are more things that I tend to avoid. I don't think I'm truly afraid of anything except pain and maybe death (now that I think about it).

Why do you say that about sanity?

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm not fond of heights. Beyond discomfort: Uneasiness.

I'm also wary of ice, ie, ice over ponds and lakes. Didn't used to be, but then I went through, years ago, on a winter expedition, and I had a devil of a time getting out. I learned, for instance, that when you are soaking wet in winter clothing you weigh twice as much as when you are dry, and will therefore keep going through the ice until you find some that is thicker. Unfortunately the thicker ice was also toward deeper water (where I went through initially it was armpit deep, even though a couple of hundred yards from the nearest actual dry ground) so you immediately see the dilemma.

I was more scared afterward than while it was happening.

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
-->
Bees. Bees are really scary. Wasps, hornets, anything like that. I have always feared these types of creatures. Its especially discomforting when they fly right by your head, making that buzzing sound in your head.
Emotional conflicts scare me.

IntenseBurger

Local time
-->
I used to be quite fearful of being crowded by others.

Then I went to a Say Anything concert...

In a rather small club...

Within the time span of their first two songs I no longer feared such and had soaked several people's sweat into my shirt, including that of the lead singer. (I was rather close to the front per my ex's urging)

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
I used to be afraid of needles but I outgrew that through repeated exposure. Crowds used to scare me quite a bit, although that was due to my social anxiety, additionally, slight agoraphobia.

The fear of crowds and agoraphobia have been fading since I started working on my social anxiety. Now I simply don't leave the house because I have no desire to in most cases, unless I have to go to work.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 6:50 AM
-->
Nosocomephobia

Top Bottom