• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

push back

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 9:01 PM
-->
I sent this out to a mailing list I'm on, and I figured you guys might find it interesting.

======================
In my experience, even in the slightest degree, if I try to get someone else to live the life I think they should live, they push back. That is not just true of spirituality. Perhaps that is a factor.

Agh... I've been experiencing this too. I just recently got into programming, and the job market for it is amazing and I really enjoy the abstract problem solving! I also find it challenging in a good way... which makes it not seem hard or difficult. I've tried to get some of my friends or ex-coworkers (the ex-coworkers that were doing data-entry) to learn some programming! And I'm not even approaching this in a materialistic way-- it is a better job, but I also think it's a job that is easier to stay sane at, and a job where you have more control over your work environment-- it is easy to quit and/or make demands!

But, alas, I've had very little traction. My one friend who's learned python with me was already interested in it, so there was no real persuasion there. The other friend had one of his math research paper ideas "stolen" by a computer-science research who just brute forced it, instead of writing fancy proofs. Which was the real impetus in getting him to learn how to program.

I also do this in other aspects of people's lives (the programming was the best example so I'm going to leave it at that). I'm very mixed with how I feel about it.

To some extent, I feel that I'm being a good friend by "helping" people the way I think they should be helped! And that it would be un-friendlike not to do meddle with their lives.

An idea has been festering in the back of my mind-- it has to do with being a good writer. Good writers don't just lay out the story for you, they hint at it, lead up to it, and somehow let the reader make it feel like it was their discovery! Like the reader played a role in figuring out how the story worked. I feel like that kind of persuasion would be the best-- both in being effective and non-obtrusive.
======================

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:01 AM
-->
1. Nobody likes to think anyone else can figure out what's best for them better than they can. It's why missionaries sometimes end up martyred.
2. "Tom Sawyer". Quite a book. But the relevant part of this study in human nature is the part where Tom gets his aunt's fence whitewashed by pretending he's having a great time at it, "nothing like it in the world," and ends up with a bunch of boys paying him so they can whitewash the fence. Application: Just be seen to be having a fine time and others may act out of envy or simply because they want to have a fine time as well.

Architectonic

Local time
Today 1:31 PM
-->
An idea has been festering in the back of my mind-- it has to do with being a good writer. Good writers don't just lay out the story for you, they hint at it, lead up to it, and somehow let the reader make it feel like it was their discovery! Like the reader played a role in figuring out how the story worked. I feel like that kind of persuasion would be the best-- both in being effective and non-obtrusive.

I've been guiding you towards this idea for years, glad you finally got it. :phear:

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
when folks are sort of commanded what to do, they usually dig their heels in; this is called reactance and it illustrates how stupid people rebuff sound advice. reverse psychology is a useful, albeit manipulative, way to sidestep the average man's innate sense of superiority and quasi individuality. its ridiculous that this works, but try phrasing a request in the negative the next time you want something and see where it takes you. with literature and rhetorical modes and all that, the same concept applies where folks are more receptive to narration than exposition. they created the fucking scene. go people!

Top Bottom