• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Quick hello that might turn out to be quite verbose

radio4head

Radio4head
Local time
Today, 13:27
Hello everyone and thank you for letting me take up your internet surfing time.

I'm here because when I take MBTI or similar tests I reliably come out as INTP. This includes a formal MBTI more than 10 years ago. Just now humanmetrics had me as I33% N75% T12% P56%, that is, a weak preference for T over F. The new and experimental http://www.25quiz.com/ suggests ~60% chance of INTP or possibly ENTP or INFP. All this is pretty consistent even if I deliberately err towards the non-INTP responses.

However, I'm currently not happy with being INTP because I think it may predisposes me to certain problems. I realise my unhappiness with my own personality type is kind of contradictory because it is supposedly a preference. But from reading type descriptions, some of my more self-destructive and frustrating behaviour is indeed more explicable. For example: lateness (nowadays whatever I do I am rarely on time even with alarms and so on), often to the point of just not doing what I had intended to through running out of time; trying to plan and stick to plans but getting distracted and failing; starting new ideas and never following through, a general lack of direction and goals; and particularly problems in communicating face-to-face. I can express some thought in what I believe to be the clearest possible terms and yet some people seem to think I am not really saying anything or communicating meaningfully. Pedantry isn't particularly appealing, however good I can be at proofreading, and my NF girlfriend (embarrassingly can't remember exact type although she told me) gets really hurt and annoyed at me taking her statements apart every so often rather than just being there with her. And I've always had what I call a "Cassandra complex" where I believe I can see further ahead than most people, take in the woes and precariousness of the world, and no-one seems to get my warnings; on the other hand, I find some ideas that I have, eg at work, meet resistance and incomprehension but somehow seem to happen years later without anyone remembering that I came up with them (it's the lack of acceptance and engagement with my reasoning that annoys me, not the lack of credit.) And I'm currently mildly to moderately depressed and I think that aggravates both my concern over these weaknesses, but more the weaknesses themselves.

So I don't have a problem with the "N" really, since I think it's good for more people to take a long or wide view. It's the P-ness :slashnew:, which some say correlates to low "conscientiousness" or self-discipline on the "big 5" personality test, that I'd like to change. MBTI insists all preferences are value-neutral, but with this one, I don't think it is. Some interpret "NT" as a demand for competence, while for me "P" seems the mark of an eternal dilettante. I'm trying to find ways to learn self-discipline and learning to communicate in other modes, which I guess does not mean changing type. My interests may continue to be multifarious, but I should be able to organise them more productively, including with decent time management books and software.

Anyway, I'm here now, and welcome any thoughts. I don't mind general geeky conversations, but think I might have had most of them already. As if I've decided where I stand on most arguments (the correct side, obviously), but it still feels like something is missing. :confused:

Wish I could give more of an introductory sketch: I cycle and like cheese, but don't climb enough hills or write what I want to. The pseudonym "radio4head" is not unique to me, but refers to listening to BBC Radio 4, home of some reasonably informative documentaries. And Radiohead, naturally.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
Today, 06:27
The psyche is not dichotomous of functions. I think you should explore this thread. Everyone has problems but being sure INTP is not more important as any other type. Doubts can be unfounded with complete growth of understanding is present/experienced.

radio4head

Radio4head
Local time
Today, 13:27
The psyche is not dichotomous of functions. I think you should explore this
Thanks, but there are a lot of links there. Was there anything in particular you meant? Of those I looked at:

I have read some official MBTI materials, and certainly understand there is also a tertiary sensing and inferior Feeling (Fe), if that's what you mean by "not dichotomous of function".

MBTI of course doesn't represent the total of personality variation (eg risk aversion, neuroticism), and I'm not really that keen to study it further or type dynamics because I understand much of it is speculative without hard data. IMHO the power of MBTI is in looking empirically at what combinations of personality traits mean.

thread. Everyone has problems but being sure INTP is not more important as any other type. Doubts can be unfounded with complete growth of understanding is present/experienced.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm not suggesting other types have few problems, only that being INTPs tend to have inherent potential frustrations, and in my case those potentials are realised. In any case, I wonder if the relatively weak I and T scores are me trying to develop, control and express my inferior Fe. Is that what I should concentrate on in MBTI terms? Is meditation a way to develop Sensing?

Top Bottom