• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

space time continuum

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:17 PM
-->
does space becomes time or does space becomes distance?

space+distance--> time
or
space+ time--> distance

which one is right

I observe that it can really be both. doesn't that kind of imply time= distance

I observe this based theory based on two to three examples:
(1) the earth/planets rotating around the sun

when you are in outer space observing earth's rotation, you can only see distance and earth displacement change during rotation, not time.

(2) the escalator
when you obeserve escalator moving from one point to next, you can see only distance changing when the esclator moves from one point to next.

(3)spinning an office chair
generally the same conclusion, when you spin an office chair, the distance or displacement changed, there is no time change.

time= change in distance. distance = change in time?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
maybe change in time=change in distance?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 7:17 AM
-->
speed = distance / time
speed * time = distance
time = distance / speed

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How do you know time has passed in outer space, assuming there is no clock? Only when a object change its position in the sky?

time= when an object change its position, like in an orbit

speed = distance / time
speed * time = distance
time = distance / speed

the problem with this is that it is based on earth frame of reference and clocks, which is not reliable in space and other non earth frame of reference.

Last edited:

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
it is almost as though time and distance is conserved. one becomes the other. this is based on my observation so far.
my premise is a simple question:

does space becomes time
or does space becomes distance

even now I have no answer.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
theoretically space can expand and go on forever due to infinite direction

space+ direction--> forever

(a) space+ time--> forever
or
(b) space+ distance--> forever

which one is more true?

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Today 6:17 AM
-->
Time isn't only limited to space or distance. A second is now defined as when a cesium-133 atom performs 9,192,631,770 complete oscillations. The oscillation is when it changes energy levels and emits a photon.
This is the most accurate way to measure time and it has nothing to do with space or distance.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Time isn't only limited to space or distance. A second is now defined as when a cesium-133 atom performs 9,192,631,770 complete oscillations. The oscillation is when it changes energy levels and emits a photon.
This is the most accurate way to measure time and it has nothing to do with space or distance.

so time is independent from space?

I was reading something about quantum gravity and how it reveal the structure of spacetime.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
so time is independent from space?

I was reading something about quantum gravity and how it reveal the structure of spacetime.

In the equation or in physical reality? Time and space are distorted by gravity and acceleration. The math is simple. Interpretating this into physical models is more difficult.

What about space is being distorted. If space is nothing how can nothing expand or contract? If time is distorting we have to figure out what time is before we can say what about it is distorting or how gravity can distort it.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
it seems time passage always resulted in motion, or change in distance.

can time pass without change in distance? you notice time has passed because the clock hand has changed in distance and position.

if time is constant, space and distance will not change. (therefore, my hypothesis that they are tied together)
In the equation or in physical reality? Time and space are distorted by gravity and acceleration. The math is simple. Interpretating this into physical models is more difficult.

What about space is being distorted. If space is nothing how can nothing expand or contract? If time is distorting we have to figure out what time is before we can say what about it is distorting or how gravity can distort it.

in physical reality, equation only reflects physical reality.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
it seems time passage always resulted in motion, or change in distance.

can time pass without change in distance? you notice time has passed because the clock hand has changed in distance and position.

if time is constant, space and distance will not change. (therefore, my hypothesis that they are tied together)

in physical reality, equation only reflects physical reality.

Spacial distance and change in position are one form of time. What about a digital clock that counts photon emissions from a cesium atom? Where is distance in that?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Spacial distance and change in position are one form of time. What about a digital clock that counts photon emissions from a cesium atom? Where is distance in that?

thats subatomic physics, where position and momentum of particle is uncertain and depends on the observer. still in macroscale, timepassing always result some form of displacment/ change in distance, at least based on my current hypothesis.

I wish to take free float in outer space and orbit a planet to test my hypothesis, but that is currently in our limitations, although there is Virtual reality simulating experience in outer space expereince.

sat2493

Local time
-->
None of those equations/relationships are right. Space and time are fundamental parameters which make them kind of arbitrary. They are arbitrary and separate from (but related to) each other.

Space is just a concept that we assume exists. Distance is a measurement that can be made within a space. So if space were a bubble, things like distance would exist within that bubble. But we end up treating distance as a type of space anyway.

Time is also a concept that we assume exists. We observe it flow in one direction because we see space change. And that change seems to be based on the change that happened next to it.

So time and space can't become each other, nor are they related (fundamentally) through distance. We simply use time and space to point to each other. Animekitty already gave the relevant equations.

Local time
Tomorrow 12:17 AM
-->
I like to think of the universe as a program because it's easy to understand. (I think the question as to whether the universe is a program running on a computer somewhere is not something you can actually verify either way)

So, you have states and you have the evolution of those states based on some predefined rule. What is plausible is that there is a feedback loop between the states and the rules. This isn't anything novel, see Metaprogramming and Functional programming.

Now. Imagine you have some kind of tree or graph where each node is a state. Moving from state to state in that tree or graph is like moving through space right? But when one instantiates that graph in memory, you are also traversing through time.

So space and time are interchangeable.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
None of those equations/relationships are right. Space and time are fundamental parameters which make them kind of arbitrary. They are arbitrary and separate from (but related to) each other.

Space is just a concept that we assume exists. Distance is a measurement that can be made within a space. So if space were a bubble, things like distance would exist within that bubble. But we end up treating distance as a type of space anyway.

Time is also a concept that we assume exists. We observe it flow in one direction because we see space change. And that change seems to be based on the change that happened next to it.

So time and space can't become each other, nor are they related (fundamentally) through distance. We simply use time and space to point to each other. Animekitty already gave the relevant equations.

I don't know how to prove to you man unless you get stoned or something, or try to orbit around the earth or something.

space either becomes time or becomes distance, its an irrefutable fact of nature.

my 2019 hypothesis:

space- time--> distance
space- displacement--> time

displacement and distance are so similar its so easy to mix them up, one can say space does become distance , but at a per second level space does become time.

Displacement is the flow from A to B, or A to B and beyond.

distance is just amount of "distance" between A and B, it is fixed and constant, without any travelling.

Top Bottom