• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Magician & being a hero

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Today, 00:09
So I just finished Lev Grossman's book "The Magician King" it is awesome and dark and it will fucking rip your heart out. It's the sequel to "The Magician", which will also leave you bewildered and emotional at the end.

Mild spoilers to follow. They won't ruin anything-- they'll hit you before you remember them.

From the first book:
"I will stop being a mouse, [name removed]. I will take some chances. If you will, for just one second, look at your life and see how perfect it is. Stop looking for the next secret door that is going to lead you to your real life. Stop waiting. This is it: there's nothing else. It's here, and you'd better decide to enjoy it or you're going to be miserable wherever you go, for the rest of your life, forever."

"You can't just decide to be happy."

"No, you can't. But you can sure as hell decide to be miserable."
The second book maybe doesn't have a specific quote... or maybe I'm too lazy to find it. But it's the idea that being a hero isn't always about amazing and a badass and being right. Being a hero is also about being the one who takes the fall. And being a hero is about being the one who does the small actions that are the right thing to do.

After finishing the book tonight, I sent out a couple of emails to mend-- or at least have a nice conclusion to-- friendships. I'm still very far from being a hero.

This is unrelated, but you should also remember that:
Nighttime is for dreaming, daylight is for action.

JarNew

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:09
IF you're interested in a mythological approach to being a hero check out Joseph Campbells the heros journey available on netflix.

Daylight is for action, nighttime is for dreaming.. I like that

Top Bottom