• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Random Thoughts Thread

Local time
Today 11:07 AM
-->
we INTPs think and analyse ceaselessly. we must think about some crazy and pointless but no less interesting things

just post any random thoughts you have

Yossarian

Local time
Today 6:07 AM
-->
The Evolution of the Human Psyche
by Yossarian

I do believe it is within each species capabilities to make genetic changes to accomodate for survival. Now whether that is from one cell to every organism on the planet or just changes within a species I don't know, I wasn't there, but either way it allows for changes withing the overall mentality of a species.

So humanity starts out, and there are an even number of type A and type B persons. But type A people do better, because they are more ambitious etc. Type B are content to sit back and take things as they come, not get involved, talk things over, not interfere with other people. So over time, the type B's do worse because they are not as gung ho about looking out for their own interests. Well, as type A's do better, they become more prevalent in the population. People who are more inclined to choose a dominant type A for a mate do better in the long run, at least from strictly a survival standpoint, because they will provide. So type A and people who favor type A when choosing a mate become the dominate type in the population. So type B people are at a natural disadvantage, since the population is geared for type A.

But type A is a terrible mentality for mankind to succeed as a species. Individually, yes, it works. It is better for a person who is trying to survive to be dominant type A than passive type B. But as the population reaches a certain level of self destructiveness, that is, they have the means to end themself in devastatingly large numbers in some form (war, etc), (or even just eventual exhaustion of natural resource/destroying the planet environmentally) it becomes a liability for the population to be mostly type A. At some point, in large numbers, the population needs to change, but it can't. It's a paradox. To advance further as a species, to learn to get along and make peace with one another, to not get caught up with trivial things like pride, predjudice, and domination, the overall mentality needs to be like that of a type B personality. People need to take a step back, not charge tally ho into the fray with half baked ideals and ideas. That will lead to us failing as a species. We cannot all be willing to die, or come close to it, for ideas that really don't make any sense in the first place. (like political standpoints or different religions)

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Today 4:07 AM
-->
Thought:

I wonder what the next person to read this thread will think of this thought of mines....

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
I thought that it was an inquisitive though Auburn.

(and as for my thoughts, they are in annoyed-ranting mode atm. so I'll just not bother posting them here)

Local time
-->
I ride horses across the clouds and to the mountain of games.

sciencegirl

Redshirt
Local time
-->
It frustrates me that people say you can't lick your elbow.
I can and I do it often to prove it to people.

I have a long tongue.

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
I don't want to go to class today. Fuck that.

There's this guy in my class, and he's mad at me for no reason.

Fuck that ugly bitch.

I'm so smart. I'm gonna pass that class with 100%, and everyone else is gonna FAIL LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Local time
-->
I don't want to go to class today. Fuck that.

There's this guy in my class, and he's mad at me for no reason.

Fuck that ugly bitch.

I'm so smart. I'm gonna pass that class with 100%, and everyone else is gonna FAIL LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

You seem mad that he's angry at you.

sciencegirl

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I was supposed to go in to my course today. I havent been in a while.
It feels liek community service digging up vegetables and cleaning ponds out! Whyyyy do i do this?

It's voluntary too. Though my CPN kinda pushed me to do the course.
Gets me oot and aboot!

Local time
-->

Artifice Orisit

*Cognisant points a high speed camera at Seducer*
I want to catch the exact moment she breaks you in half.

Also I've been working on AI theory, trying to devise a theoretical mind that could work on a digital format, without the usage of a "Q" chip or other artificially built neural nets. However the usage of a adaptive database (effectively a virtual neural net) would require massive amounts of processing time. But I've learned that for any AI to work efficiently it must be comprised of several different intercommunicating layers, each layer serving as specific purpose.
The "layers" idea is very basic concept in psychology, so I guess I'm on the right track.

Local time
-->
"The world falls as I do. This illusion of destruction is corrupting my vision of the future." ?!?!

didyouknow

Local time
Today 9:07 PM
-->
Stupid Mr. Michaels confused me and now the universe doesn't make sense anymore.

Is 'Why' such a terrible question?

Oooh... "I'm the invisible man! OOh! I'm the invisible man!!" I'm so addicted to Queen...

I wonder how other people view me...

If everyone agrees a person is really disrespectful and rude and nobody likes them, is it okay to want to avoid them to protect yourself? Or is this selfish?

Hmm... I gotta get a job to pay for all those living expenses when I move out next year...

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:07 PM
-->
I often have urges to scream nonsense at the top of my voice.

Goggleberries! BIG FAT HUMPING GORILLAS. Filthy addle-patted mummers. I am a frog! You are a twerptwat.

Also: as you walk across from one side of the room to the other, you're WALKING THROUGH TIME! Or alongside it, anyway. How awesome is that!!!

Local time
-->
If Male and Female INTPs act differently, would an Effeminate Male have Female INTP traits?

naberus

Local time
-->
...all they have to offer is either friendship or buisness partners...one or the other, rarely both...

dwags222

Local time
Today 5:07 AM
-->
Also I've been working on AI theory, trying to devise a theoretical mind that could work on a digital format, without the usage of a "Q" chip or other artificially built neural nets. However the usage of a adaptive database (effectively a virtual neural net) would require massive amounts of processing time. But I've learned that for any AI to work efficiently it must be comprised of several different intercommunicating layers, each layer serving as specific purpose.
The "layers" idea is very basic concept in psychology, so I guess I'm on the right track.

have you considered the software v. hardware problem here. what i mean is, perhaps the type of "mind" you are trying to create can not be programmed, but would naturally arise out of a certain hardware. this is basically a physicalist or realist argument for the body/mind problem. the mind, that is the conscious mind, it a completely natural process, arising mechanistically from the brain. thus, to create the ai mind would simply be to build the computer that correctly models the makeup of the brain. so basically a physical neural net as opposed to a virtual neural net.

do you think that a virtual neural net is able to bypass the physicalist problem, as in so acurately model the physical reality that even though it is not strictly physical the end result of the virtual neural net is the same as the physical neural net?

the idea that an active working brain could be correctly modeled by either hardware or software is an interesting one because i am one who does not believe that AI can be programmed. but if consciousness does truly arise out of the physical makeup of the brain then i see no reason why a brain might be "artificially" created by the proper piece of computer hardware.

of course i don't really buy into the physicalist argument. so ultimately i believe any attempt at AI is likely going to fail. though i still appreciate those who work toward AI because i think it is a really interesting subject, and furthermore the only real way to answer the philisophical question is to actually empirically test it.

dwags222

Local time
-->
as an aside, if you ever succeed in acurately modeling the make up of the brain, you're going to have to find a way to acurately model the sense inputs of the body into the brain. a brain can not think and be conscious without the sensual inputs of the body.

didyouknow

Local time
-->
I thought this thread was supposed to contain any random thoughts floating around our heads...

Why can't I answer the question "how does that make you feel"... is it weird to feel nothing?

If my self-respect is based on intelligence, does that intelligence have to be verified by other people? Is it still knowledge if I do not tell people about it?

When will I live up to the fact that maybe some people simply have no good in them?

If I am a jack-of-all trades, will people acknowledge this, or will it simply mean I cannot succeed at anything?

What is the benefit of small talk?

Jules

Local time
Today 12:07 PM
-->
If one is likely to assume that others act according to the same values oneself
has, would that say it's better to lie and cheat?

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
Today 7:07 AM
-->
Somehow I don't think it should be extremely difficult to make humanoid robots. Everything in our body acts through certain systems. If materials could be found or created that are capable of mimicking human parts, and can be shaped precisely to fit together....no more of this blocky robot crap.

What does it mean when someone uses emotions and subjective "facts" in a very logical system? Are they F, or T?

It should have snowed more. I'm glad we got off school today though, because otherwise I would have slept through 1st and 2nd period.

When I'm alone, for some reason it's hard for me to sit and ponder on any one thing for a long time. If I start out with a goal to puzzle something out, I end up putting a few pieces together, then noting the shape of another piece, realizing that it looks somewhat like a cow, then I imagine what the cow would look like, then I....oops, there goes my trail of thought. ):

I hate language with a passion. Language confuses as much as it makes things clear. Words describe specific things to individual people, and when they are used to describe other things, the idea gets muddled. Everyone has their own interpretation of different words. Telepathy would be nice, as long as it could be switched on and off.

I think I don't like participating in debates because I don't believe anything is true fact, so I can't effectively argue my point against the other, since in my mind they both have a strong potential to be true. Debates are amazingly fun to read/observe, though.

I want to draw something, but I can't figure out what to draw.

dwags222

Local time
-->
has anyone ever had kroger brand mac n cheese. it is 59 cents a box where i live. what a deal. so good. but you have to get the right kind, the mini-shell pasta w/ three cheese. ugh. i'm making it right now and i can't wait til it is done.m i have perfected the art of never eating a meal that costs more than two dollars. probably unhealthy, but i guess i probably make up for it by living an active lifestyle.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Somehow I don't think it should be extremely difficult to make humanoid robots. Everything in our body acts through certain systems. If materials could be found or created that are capable of mimicking human parts, and can be shaped precisely to fit together....no more of this blocky robot crap.

YES! Bring on the organic robots!

When I'm alone, for some reason it's hard for me to sit and ponder on any one thing for a long time. If I start out with a goal to puzzle something out, I end up putting a few pieces together, then noting the shape of another piece, realizing that it looks somewhat like a cow, then I imagine what the cow would look like, then I....oops, there goes my trail of thought. ):

I hate language with a passion. Language confuses as much as it makes things clear. Words describe specific things to individual people, and when they are used to describe other things, the idea gets muddled. Everyone has their own interpretation of different words. Telepathy would be nice, as long as it could be switched on and off.

I think I don't like participating in debates because I don't believe anything is true fact, so I can't effectively argue my point against the other, since in my mind they both have a strong potential to be true. Debates are amazingly fun to read/observe, though.

I want to draw something, but I can't figure out what to draw.

Seriously. Get out of my mind!

I can never figure out what to draw :(

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Why do most internet nicknames sound like new pokemon? Seriously, even my own name would qualify.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:07 PM
-->
It's always a dead end. Do whatever you want, but the result won't change. When you finally understand how thick this pottage is, there's no oppurtunity to get out of it... Why do I always end up this way?

...And why it's acceptable to feel a disgust towards rats, but, when you tell that humans disgust you, everybody looks at you like you have lost your mind? Why hating one animal is normal, but disliking other is inadmissible? How humans are different from rats?

Local time
-->
i may decide to become a Satanist (view points, not church burning acts)

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
This random thought thing is fun. owo

When a day goes by and I don't have any significant thoughts or realizations, it feels like a wasted day.

Too many people sail through life thinking they're unique because of how they were born. Everyone is human and therefore a person is only subtly different than everyone else by design. But I don't see much wrong in letting people think they're unique...as long as they accomplish things to "deserve" the title.

I say that people are annoying when they complain about petty things. Then they get all offended and call me a hypocrite. Okay, if it takes me being a hypocrite to get you to shut up about whatever the hell you were complaining about, so be it.

I rag on America so much because so many Americans possess most of the traits that I dislike most in humanity. Yeah, those traits are found in the rest of the world too...but they just seem so much more obnoxious here. And we're unhealthy. And loud. And we birthed McDonalds.

Tekton;;
;)

didyouknow

Local time
-->
I should be doing my homework right now, but this is so much more interesting.

I'm constantly fighting a battle inside my mind to live for fun or to live for accomplishments.

Why is the Sims such an interesting game? Wait, stupid question... study of human (well, virtual human) behaviour... without the possibility of looking like a freak.

I wish this world were more silent... if it's not the television, it's music. If it's not music, it's traffic. If it's not traffic or people, then you're schizophrenic. Wait, there was something rational in there...where did it go?

I'm waiting for the second hippy movement... I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Is there no one left to question what they have been told?

Local time
-->
i very much wonder what the different accents and groups in different countries are.

in GB we have cockneys, geordies, scousers, sheep-shaggers, northeners, scots, welsh bastards, irishmen...

what do other countries have i wonder

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
i very much wonder what the different accents and groups in different countries are.

in GB we have cockneys, geordies, scousers, sheep-shaggers, northeners, scots, welsh bastards, irishmen...

what do other countries have i wonder

America has...hm...
Hillbillies, texans, new yawkers, bostoners, southerners, rednecks, g/wangsters, wapanese....and I'm probably missing a lot....

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
We also have newscaster. :p

naberus

Local time
-->
God: I have come for you my child.
Random person: Wow,hey why are you a dog?
God: What's "God" spelled backwards?
Random person: Hmm...Oh My Dog!?

Really bad joke, I'm sorry XD

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
I just put up the BEST AVATAR EVER.

It's INTP and Depeche Mode! Hurray :D

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
@-FF
Who are those people anyway?
From left to right:

Dave Gahan (sexy lead singer), Alan Wilder (the musical genius who left the band), Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher (the one who bums around, really), and Martin Gore (the cute one who writes all the songs)

Yes, I know. Martin's a he. Used to cross-dress. But he's completely straight.

No one knows why he used to do that. Not even him.

Artifice Orisit

I'm just going to assume it was the eighties.

Back on topic,
Thought: Stay on topic will you.

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
Stay on topic? This is a random thread lol

dwags222

Local time
-->
does depeche mode suppose that they are geniuses? because that is what that picture suggests to me. i mean, i respect individual musical tastes and all . . . but lets be honest.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
God: I have come for you my child.
Random person: Wow,hey why are you a dog?
God: What's "God" spelled backwards?
Random person: Hmm...Oh My Dog!?

Really bad joke, I'm sorry XD

oh for the love of dog! that was so lame...

Jules

Local time
-->
From the book of Chuang Tzu, chapter 15:
To be rigid and arrogant;
to be above this generation and distant from its ways;
to talk of great principles;
to be critical and disparaging:
these are approved by scholars who dwell in the mountains, by men who are not of this age, who are worn and weary or who cast themselves into the deep.

To preach about benevolence, righteousness, loyalty and faithfulness;
to be humble, moderate, selfless and civil:
these are the marks of self-development and are the signs of the scholars who wish to reform this generation. These are approved by the one who wishes to preach and teach, whether at home or abroad.

To talk of great achievements;
to make a great name;
to arrange the rituals between ruler and minister;
to sort out those above from those below;
to organize the ruling of the state:
this is what is approved by the scholar who values the court and state, who loves his ruler and honours his country, who does what he can and who seizes lands.

To live amongst the wilds and lakes;
to dwell in isolated places;
to fish alone;
actionless action:
this is what is approved by the scholar who retreats to the rivers and seas, who leaves this generation alone, who is in no hurry.

Huffing, puffing;
grunting and groaning;
expelling the old breath and taking in the new;
undertaking physical exercises to preserve the body and soul;
long life his sole concern:
this is what is approved, this is the Tao of the scholar who infuses his self with breath, feeding his body, hoping to live as long as Peng Tsu.

To achieve loftiness without the burden of bias;
to follow the ways of improvement without benevolence or righteousness;
to rule successfully without achievement or fame;
who rest without rivers and oceans;
long life without organization;
to lose everything and yet to have all;
to drift calmly and endlessly, while all good things pay court to them:
this is the Tao of Heaven and Earth, the Virtue of the sages.

Jules

Local time
-->
I stumpled upon a shorter thought yesterday :)

The book of Chuang Tzu @ Chapter 18 said:
Fish can live in water quite contentedly, but if people try it, they die, for different beings need different contexts which are right and proper for them. This is why the ancient sages never expected just one response from the rest of the creatures nor tried to make them conform.

Local time
-->
imagine a Brothel for Sheep, the thin ones inside lapdances for princes with welsh accents and the fat sheep outside in fishnets. picture the scene.

and imagine a stag night, music begins to play and then a sheep launches through an open door into the mal-lit room and shakes booty on the priveledged ones lap. then begins to peel the wool from it's body.......mmm.........sensual...........

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
A person is running so fast they are stumbling over themselves, but they cannot stop. They run knowing they are about to hurtle over a cliff. Every moment of pleasure is tainted with the pain of this knowledge, which merely serves to strengthen the pleasure, and hence the pursuit of it.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Imagine a world without emoticons, where all emotions had to be expressed through text alone.

Then, imagine a world where people had no facial expressions (Botoxia?) and had to express emotions through words alone. Imagine there is also no body language.

Then, imagine the productivity lost by all the extra words needed.

Then, imagine a jelly donut. Delicious, huh? Now, imagine that you could've simply imagined a jelly donut first without all that other stuff.

Now, imagine death. You could always imagine death without all that other stuff related to living happening first, but you wouldn't, 'cause that would negate the need for jelly donuts.

It's not a destination, it's a jelly donut. Remember that.

Or don't.

Jules

Local time
-->
Imagine a large field in the hills. And scattered around on this field are little groups of people.
And these people are all enjoying their day off. They're sitting, or lying on the field.
They're enjoying each other. And they're enjoying the sun, 'cos it's a beautiful day.
And each and every group of people are enjoying the day in a different way.
There are people who have brought their chairs to sit on. A table as well.
There are families having a picnic. Including the ants... :)
There are even people who have brought their own caravan. Air conditioned.
And there's this guy over there. He's lying on a blanket. And sipping a beer.
In his right hand a joint. And The Doors are playing on the radio.
If I would be standing there, on the edge of that field. Having to decide who to go sit with.
I don't think I would need to decide.
I would go lie next to that guy over there. On the blanket, sipping a beer.
Passing a joint to my neighbor. And The Doors are playing on the radio.
Come on, baby. Light my fire!

Tell me. Is this happiness?

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
Happiness is what we make for ourselves.

(Which I'm fairly sure is a quote from somewhere, but I can't remember where atm.)

Jules

Local time
-->
I love answers to rhetorical questions. :)

Top Bottom