• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

To Kill a Mockingbird: Overrated?

rainman312

rice-eater extraordinaire
Local time
Today 3:49 AM
-->
Although I've read it previously, once in middle school and once earlier in high school (not assigned, just to re-read), I didn't read To Kill a Mockingbird in a critical fashion until just recently, when it was assigned as a novel to be read for my wonderful English II class, in which we read a staggering three short novels in a 180-day school year. Anyway, education system rants aside, I've found upon rereading it that what was once something I considered to be one of the best novels I've ever read is really...not all that great. As you who've read it know, the novel has two subplots: there's the one in which Scout and Jem run around Maycomb during the (primarily) summertime, having small adventures and doing things that kids during that setting did. There's also the one in which Atticus defends Tom Robinson, a black man accused of raping a white woman. I should've put this earlier, but this will certainly have spoilers in it (although I haven't spoiled anything yet, for those who've read this far). I personally consider the first subplot to be vastly superior to the second one, which I find stale, clichéd (more on this later), and somewhat "obvious". I put that in quotes due to the odd fashion in which I'm using it; it's obvious in that it portrays a theme and a set of morals which I find to be pretty much second-nature, things such as not being racist, not judging people superficially, using (or at least, attempting to use) empathy, etc. Now, at this point, some of you are probably thinking, "Sure, they're obvious now, but fifty years ago when the novel was written, they deviated significantly from the norm." Still, times change, and our view of the novel will obviously change with them. It seems ridiculous to insist that a novel is a literary masterpiece because it has a theme which was unique, non-conformist, or even revolutionary for its time period (not sure I would even give it all three of those adjectives, honestly), despite being commonplace thinking now. On my copy of TKAM, it has a printed banner across the top of the novel that says something along the lines of "The timeless classic which unites us all," or some such nonsense. I'd challenge that, at least for the second subplot of the novel. The first one is timeless in that many of the ideals are still things that people today have yet to learn (empathy, keeping a cool head as Atticus does, etc.), and also in that it describes the mischievous and adventurous habits of children, which have remained very similar for many, many years.

Do I think To Kill a Mockingbird is a terrible, or even bad novel? Absolutely not. I still hold it in relatively high esteem, despite criticisms of it, but to call it an amazing or excellent book, let alone the best book of all time (which I've seen frequently) is a vast overrating of its quality. I also completely disagree with English classes telling you which books to read specifically, but that's another rant for another time. Still, a bit more freedom when it comes to choosing which books to read would be nice.

A bit more on the timelessness of novels: While I'm not completely sure that this is entirely possible, there are certainly books written decades or even centuries ago that are still relevant, amazing, or incredibly interesting books today. One could say that TKAM may no longer be as relevant, and by including books that are no longer relevant but still interesting I'm being hypocritical, but there's a clear distinction: TKAM isn't really all that interesting of a novel. It's borderline insanely boring at certain points of the novel. I personally don't get any kicks out of reading about a bunch of racist southern ladies drink tea and talk about the town gossip, and that was far from being one of the most boring parts of the novel. There are certainly novels out there that are both excellently written and contemporarily relevant, such as 1984, Catch-22, and Dune (which is insanely good, if you haven't read it).

Anyway, that's my ~0.23 Botswanan pula on the matter.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Context is important. At the time this was written, it ripped open a part of American culture many had been happy to ignore, it drew attention to the shockingly casual racism and bigotry that you see reflected not just in the court case but in the old-lady gossip, which is far more startling, and it helped create a climate to make this stuff unacceptable. It may seem clichéd now, but it was not when the book was written.

Personally I find the lawyer's adherence to principle right up there with something an INTP can appreciate. :-)

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 8:49 AM
-->
I thinks its over rated, but I had it shoved down my neck at school.. Is what it is I guess.

Nofriends

Banned
Local time
-->
I think the book should be outlawed, and that the legality of slavery should be reinstated.
Nah just kidding. It is a bad book, it contributes to this idea that today's millennials owe something to black people, and that any vicissitudes black people experience is simply the result of an inherently racist white society. Attestable with the prevalence of silly left-wing sayings like "check your privilege" or "white privilege".

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:49 AM
-->
The early internet was a great place. At the end of the semester (10th grade) I found this video but was unable to show it to my teacher. It was about the very book we were reading.

https://youtu.be/fo45o69HaKI

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I think the book should be outlawed, and that the legality of slavery should be reinstated.
Nah just kidding. It is a bad book, it contributes to this idea that today's millennials owe something to black people, and that any vicissitudes black people experience is simply the result of an inherently racist white society. Attestable with the prevalence of silly left-wing sayings like "check your privilege" or "white privilege".

http://crc-global.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/white-privilege.pdf

Local time
-->
Context is important. At the time this was written, it ripped open a part of American culture many had been happy to ignore, it drew attention to the shockingly casual racism and bigotry that you see reflected not just in the court case but in the old-lady gossip, which is far more startling, and it helped create a climate to make this stuff unacceptable. It may seem clichéd now, but it was not when the book was written.

Personally I find the lawyer's adherence to principle right up there with something an INTP can appreciate. :-)

Context isn't only important, it's a necessity when critiquing the classics. The classics are about experiencing a time and place and mindset other than our own. When we allow our personal mindsets and opinions to influence our reception of these works, we are missing the point completely. Racism is not the main theme of To Kill a Mockingbird, but those have a shallow understanding of the text will see it that way.

Top Bottom