• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are your itches?

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:18 PM
-->
If you don't have a Twitter, you should get one.

If you do have one, you should follow Venkatesh Rao.

He sent out a string of tweets earlier today on identifying your itches. Itches are not passions and not skills or talents. They are more fundamental than that, and they are not constrained by socially imposed grand narratives of what is acceptable to do. Here's a list of the compiled tweets created by a follower:

[bimgx=500]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwF_JhoCcAAURVE.png[/bimgx]

So, based off the exercise he provides, what are your itches?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:18 PM
-->
I must be missing something because I don't see the significance of this. Not meant condescendingly, I just don't understand.

Can you give an example of something that classifies as an itch but not a skill or passion?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:18 PM
-->
Well I assume that "itch" is what your being boils down to. Perhaps for me its becoming the Magician Archetype.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:18 PM
-->
Generally my legs. My face a fair bit as well.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:18 PM
-->

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:18 PM
-->
I must be missing something because I don't see the significance of this. Not meant condescendingly, I just don't understand.

Can you give an example of something that classifies as an itch but not a skill or passion?

Just another tool for self-discovery. I think the exercise he suggests about trying to think of what your life would be like if you had come of age 50, 100, 200, etc. years ago is helpful because it controls for current societal expectations. I'm only on 1814 so far in the exercise, but I'm already starting to see patterns. I'll post an edited version when I'm done of some of the years, and I'd encourage others to do the same.

Well I assume that "itch" is what your being boils down to. Perhaps for me its becoming the Magician Archetype.

This is good, but perhaps too general. I think every NT would probably identify with that archetype.

Generally my legs. My face a fair bit as well.

*Cuts off Gopher's legs and barbecues them*

ddspada

Citizen of the Universe
Local time
Today 1:18 AM
-->
I guess I'm generally annoyed by having to pay attention to the physical world. Driving, cooking, vacuuming, cleaning, washing dishes, washing clothes, exercising, even having to satisfy hunger, thirst, sleep and sex drive. I realize it's necessary to an extent, but it's annoying.

What is this supposed to mean? :confused:

Rome96

Pseudo-intellectual
Local time
Today 6:18 AM
-->
My itches would be achieving complete independence and trying to experience new things on a daily basis. I want to get away from the mundane that I feel is being forced on me. Seeking beauty in ugliness is a nice one as well. I didn't do the exercise very thoroughly but I reached the conclusion that no matter what I'd be doing I would get bored of it eventually and start dreaming of something different and far away. I'd want to be on the move constantly. Hopefully I'll be able to sometime soon.

You never told us what your itches are.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:18 PM
-->
Purely speaking:

What really annoys me is that I can never do what I want to do properly. Just never zero in on to something and fuck all. Just get into that grip.

I am always somehow in a situation where I really don't want to be.

I don't mind the mundane so much, I figure out ways to address them in a better fashion than most people would.

I eat out, microwaved food, or what not.
I let small shops do my laundry.
I love driving.
I enjoy sweeping, it's quite relaxing.
I used to like exercising when I had the time.
I definitely enjoy masturbating.
I wouldn't mind sex at all.

But I never feel like I am there there with things I want to do. It always lands short.

Top Bottom