• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

what do you classify as stupid and dumb

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:33 AM
-->
to me it is people who lack awareness of bigger things out there

the smaller the radius of awareness, the bigger the stupidity

for example , if you are aware of your own village or revolve around it. not something you cant see 100 miles away like another country's existence, then you are pretty fuciking stupid. it is also lacking big picture thinking, and obsessed with details.

I am not saying you have i have to be in india/jupiter/mars to be smart but at least aware of stuff outside of your small circle and radlus. I will probably never touch jupiter during my life span but at least i can imagine what its like there.

the other thing is doing the same thing over and over each day, and addiction to routine.
Its a farily common thing where i live.

if you try to change their routine , they just get angry.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
-->
I see intelligence as the cognitive precursor to productive goal-oriented behaviour. I see stupidity as not just the absence of intelligence, but the cognitive precursor to counter-productive goal-oriented behaviour.

So a rock isn't stupid. A person who doesn't care about things that don't affect them isn't stupid. A person who wants something, and not only doesn't achieve it, but hurts their own chances of success through the decisions they make is stupid.

So if I held a gun to your head and said "Ima shoot you if you recite pi to 3141 digits", despite the impressive cognitive feat I would still class you as stupid if you proceed to do so (assuming you want to live).

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:33 PM
-->
In the example above the first time I honestly misread that as "I'm going to shoot you if you don't recite pi to 3141 digits" because that's the more sensible ultimatum. There's no point telling someone at gunpoint not to do something that they already weren't going to do. So my "stupidity" was that I skim-read and over-though it, which are both things which require a certain degree of intelligence to do, so I was undone by my own intelligence (and laziness admittedly).

I think stupidity is the repetition of mistakes, if Hado gives me his ultimatum and I mishear him and he shoots me (in the leg) that wouldn't be stupid, that would just be an honest mistake, but if I try again and he shoot me again that would be stupid, and every time after that I try again and he shoots me again it's stupider still.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
Uh oh, this will trigger some ranting, here are a few things I think are stupid:

Ridgidity, Loud People, Violence, Fear, Joyce Meyers TV, Evangelists that don't respect others, the Fat at the top that rejects change to the status quo for fear of upsetting the current process, (I'm thinking of my previous ENTP boss who preferred not to go up the chain to change anything even if it was a good idea). Impatience, Group Think, Too much One Upmanship, Bullying, Manipulation, Social Injustices, Games that make others feel 'less than'. The concept of a winner and a loser, Judgements.

Someone that buys a short sportscar in a flood prone area.
Unfounded Favoritism in the workplace, Good Ol' Boys Mentality that reject anything different to the status quo. Congress as it is divided the way it is.

I do not like my triggers at all. Surprise gifts that are not very good, or that have no sensitivity or knowledge about 'me'. Wish people would ask me if I would like something first. I need to explain up front I don't like surprises. Ok, I will do that from now on. Examples of dumb gifts my stepmother gave me: White leather garden gloves. Wtf? White in the garden? A white rabbit statue. A glass squirrel jar filled with nuts from kmart. wtf? A Chia pet? Gawd. A pink and green striped Christmas sweater. wtf? Am I a little girl? Are these regifts? // Or an electronic valentine with no mention of love? wtf? why bother? I wanted a full out declaration of LOVE that meant something, a red rose, an I love you, something like that, not an ancient sad electronic card! Ha! Triggers are about wounds I suppose, they are something to really think about. My own Mother gave reasonable gifts, my step mother was terrible at it. Anyway, this dumb card was filled in as a valentine card and it was a trigger as having no real personal sentiment in it. I didn't feel any love in it anyway. Seemed like something from 1997. I wanted something like La Vie En Rose Declaration. But that overly picky attitude will not help anything, but still, at least put I love you or say it if its valentines day. https://www.jacquielawson.com/card/bouquet-ballet/happy-birthday/h-1/3484047

Someone that buys a surf shop in an area with no surf (this really happened). Someone that buys a business without researching the area first. Chasing after someone that doesn't care. Putting too much trust in a doctor or their prescriptions without first finding alternatives and researching about a medicines effects, or not fully reading a warning label on medicines. Certain types of unfounded complaining that just hurts others. Example: On my nextdoor website, 30 women called a store complaining about an online shopping experience (the software was not designed well). It wasn't the store to blame, its their corporate that needs to fix the software programming. The reasonable women don't even see an issue, understand how to use it, and aren't mean spirited. The majority - their first reaction is to tear to shreds the store who isn't even at fault. Its that public knee jerk reaction to blindly support other people can be pretty stupid and harmful.

Many extroverts have very little concept of how to change a behavior or even see an inner self to self improve on. They operate seeing what is on the outside as having to change without using an inner mirror on themselves. (Projection). ESFJ's can be super stupid because the feeler judger follower has no thought process that resolves anything, they've got rigid set of rules they think everyone must stick to.

Someone that buys property in an area they haven't lived in for a full year. Someone that drives thru Southeast or on any road trip and stops at a roadside restaurant with one or two customers/cars. (Hint, few customers can mean this place is rank. They serve scary awful rancid food and you find these places at stops along Southern highways, that only get one time customers like truckers or unsuspecting families. Learn to only go to places that are packed with cars, or just bring your own food and cooler).

Stupid college that had NO air conditioning in its gym that was 110 degrees and forcing people to do PE. (I forced them to put AC in their gym actually and complained to the university system).

Elementary teacher that plays loud Opera in class, over her lecture, and then gets angry at the kids closest to the music if they didn't hear her over the Opera music. A lot of teachers are really stupid and harmful to kids and students in the South. I witnessed a teacher force her student to swallow their gum in an auditorium with everyone watching them swallow it. They teach so badly that nobody has any interest to learn after a year of that instructor.

A lot of laws are very outdated and no longer work and need revisions, its stupid to continue certain laws without revising with respect for the current times/population levels. oops, my normally hidden inner bitch that I try not to let out. End of rant. Thank you!

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:33 AM
-->
i like Cipolla's definition of stupidity from his "basic laws of human stupidity";

you have 4 groups of people in terms of actions they take in life:
1: people who do stuff that benefit themselves but harm others
2: people who benefit themselves but also benefit others
3: people who benefit others but harm themselves
4: people who harm themselves and others

by his definition, number 1 is a "bandit", number 2 is smart, number 3 is "helpless", and 4 is stupid

Top Bottom