• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What irritates you?

Stellar

Local time
Today 1:50 AM
-->
As much of a dick as this may make me sound here goes.

What tends to irritate you? New or old things..

Do you INTPs now, or have you ever had a time in your life where you get the impression everyone around wasn't very... bright? Because you can pick apart and see every single contradiction they're making, and it seems like the person no matter what, can't delve deeply into anything you ask. I've had this happen to me some times more than others, I consider myself a nice person but I can't help but get annoyed of people now and days the more and more i'm around people when they do this. I find contradictions making me annoyed up the wall. My response is just to ask the person their train of thought, and then trying to clear up what they said, or pointing out exactly how their statement or argument is flawed. I don't seem annoyed, or anything, but I am.

A random small online example... I attempting going on another forum to ask random shit about how a friend came off, type wise. I posted it with a poll asking what type it sounded like. When I came back to it people attacked the post with statements such as "You just want to be unique, you're none of these types." When I asked them they're reasoning for stating that the self description sounded nothing like the types available in the poll, they would say things like "You like to sleep and you enjoy comfort so, you're not an N" I labeled their reasoning as invalid and stupid in my brain because there's not much substance to me behind what they were saying... I didn't weigh it much because of my impression of their lack of for thought that, based on functions, etc. did not matter. I then asked another person giving me similar responses why they for example, considered themselves an INFP and not an ISFP.. (I'm aware that changing a letter makes a huge difference, function wise etc, but I was speaking in their terms and in the way it seemed their thought process on mbti worked so that I could get the answer I wanted.) They said something along the lines of "Well, I don't like sports, i've always been horrible at anything with my hands... that and any test i've ever taken says i'm an INFP."
I then told them that "I don't like sports, i'm horrible at them and every time I take a personality test online, I test as an__Insert type___ so does that make me an INFJ (for example). They said no... I'm using their logic on them, yet, it only works for them, which is fine but, they couldn't explain to me why it only works for them.
I never go back on most forums because me and a few friends of mine have shared accounts, and posted random shit to get random info on what people think certain actions or attributes in people come of like, and what people think they sound like, to better type themselves, and me at the time, so now my personality is a bit tainted on those forums.. I only use them to ask questions.. poll like questions.

Most people I run into on forums tend to want to type me, or answer my posts telling me the most random types, and then having nothing to back up their statements that they are so sure about.

Do any of you ever find yourselves being annoyed of things like this ever.. Or had a phase where you where annoyed by contradictions to a different level. I think I may be going through a phase, but I feel extra mean now in days... because of my short fuse with lack of "strong" reasoning" or depth in thought. I'm normally pretty passive, and don't feel annoyed very often.. I'm just, somewhat of a zombie. Brain feels rather foggy.
Anyways this is my example of a recent "dumb" moment that has happened with me and people online, because it's the one easiest to explain. Usually never expect great reasoning or anything from anyone, but the difference now is that it is beginning to irritate me.

Another random thing that has also irked me a little is people basing all of their decisions based on emotions. I know people do but, it just depends on what it's used for.. if it actually irritates me or not. Like someone defending their argument on evolution being fake and using emotions to defend that... in someway. Or telling me they decided to ditch their friend at the airport because _insert emotional reasoning here_
Not sure if this is a low point for me.. These are 2 of the only things that kind of are annoying to me at the moment. I'd like descriptions of experiences even remotely like this, to feed my curiosity please. :) If your annoyances sound nothing like mine feel free to share too. Answers from all types are welcome.

(I'll be back later to correct this post, add/fix things, I just wanted responses in the meanwhile.)
& Apologies for the ramble.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
When people say or write "Would of" (or "could of" or "should of").

Would've is the actual contraction, and is formed with the words "would" and "have".

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:50 PM
-->
When the internet or my computer slows down.

When I accidentally kick the cord of my computer and it shuts off.

Anyone who shoves their routine into my way.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
As much of a dick as this may make me sound here goes.

What tends to irritate you? New or old things..
I find that an excellent question because I know I'm irritated from time-to-time but NEVER rarely express it. I don't express it because I'm unsure with Fe and don't know how that would be rational and it's hard to generalize. I can try anyway.

Do you INTPs now, or have you ever had a time in your life where you get the impression everyone around wasn't very... bright? Because you can pick apart and see every single contradiction they're making, and it seems like the person no matter what, can't delve deeply into anything you ask.
Another good Q. My answer is no. Most people are more knowledgeable in SOME way than I am and if I am more knowledgeable in some way, I have the opportunity to explain something which can be fun to work out.

I've had this happen to me some times more than others, I consider myself a nice person but I can't help but get annoyed of people now and days the more and more i'm around people when they do this. I find contradictions making me annoyed up the wall. My response is just to ask the person their train of thought, and then trying to clear up what they said, or pointing out exactly how their statement or argument is flawed. I don't seem annoyed, or anything, but I am.
I don't know. Articulating outwardly and thinking internally are two different things. If I can't respond with thoughts, I keep quiet and puzzle about it. Hard to generalize. You are a different person than me so you are entitled to your own reactions.

A random small online example... I attempting going on another forum to ask random shit about how a friend came off, type wise. I posted it with a poll asking what type it sounded like. When I came back to it people attacked the post with statements such as "You just want to be unique, you're none of these types." When I asked them they're reasoning for stating that the self description sounded nothing like the types available in the poll, they would say things like "You like to sleep and you enjoy comfort so, you're not an N" I labeled their reasoning as invalid and stupid in my brain because there's not much substance to me behind what they were saying... I didn't weigh it much because of my impression of their lack of for thought that, based on functions, etc. ...
You asked a difficult question. It's possible the question couldn't be answered readily so people guessed and they were not experts anyway. You got what you asked for.

Most people I run into on forums tend to want to type me, or answer my posts telling me the most random types, and then having nothing to back up their statements that they are so sure about.
I'm not good at typing so I won't here. ... I changed my mind. You are an XNXX.:D

Do any of you ever find yourselves being annoyed of things like this ever.. Or had a phase where you where annoyed by contradictions to a different level.
If a contradiction is clearly presented I find that a challenge of interest. It also depends on the person. I can guess, but if I know the person I can feel more confidence in their style.

Another random thing that has also irked me a little is people basing all of their decisions based on emotions. I know people do but, it just depends on what it's used for.. if it actually irritates me or not. Like someone defending their argument on evolution being fake and using emotions to defend that...
Now you're getting to where I feel or felt annoyed recently. I was posting on a Pod'Lair thread and carefully thought about something. The person I was talking to never replied or even acknowledged my post. That annoyed me. I realize she was and is a feeling person and my post was thinking. So her lack of response had merit. It's just that without any response at all, I don't get to learn more about her position. I tend to forget her motives are feeling and she may not be skilled at thinking no matter how smart she is. Today I forgot how busy she was on that board, so now I've forgotten to be annoyed.

(I'll be back later to correct this post, add/fix things, I just wanted responses in the meanwhile.)
Please do. BTW I wouldn't be annoyed if you don't respond because I don't know you. The other person I did.

Ocofan

Engineer
Local time
Today 4:50 PM
-->
For me it's politics at the moment. (I've started to take an interest in politics and history). All the spin most of the politicians give off and blame and what not for all of the media just pisses me off. If I want to know the truth about something I might as well bury my head in the sand. So many sources of information about modern day events seem to be detailed with such a high degree of subjectivity that if I want to appear knowledgeable about current events and topics I can't help but wonder how distorted this event has become. I would love a perfect world where I could look at the news with just the evidence only without the taint of any human tampering. The only thing that sometimes mostly seems true is all the stuff that I don't give a shit about: reality tv, gossip etc. It's crap.

The other thing for me at the moment is religion. I love reading debates about beliefs/evidence/what not. I like to remain an observer and see the argument from both sides of the table. But it seems a rarity to find a thread in which both sides use arguments to give credibility to their beliefs. Maybe its unfair for me to judge a discussion such as this with subjective bias (or perhaps even logic) but it's something that I cannot get my head around, and that makes it even more fascinating.

[Do you INTPs now, or have you ever had a time in your life where you get the impression everyone around wasn't very... bright? Because you can pick apart and see every single contradiction they're making, and it seems like the person no matter what, can't delve deeply into anything you ask..]

Another good Q. My answer is no. Most people are more knowledgeable in SOME way than I am and if I am more knowledgeable in some way, I have the opportunity to explain something which can be fun to work out.

I agree with this in some cases. I know quite a few people though who aren't technically stupid, but rather lack the intuition to see the consequences of the decisions they make, and never fail to repeat the same mistakes over and over making them appear stupid; but I don't think that necessarily means they lack intelligence, just foresight.

Oh! Also spelling mistakes and grammatical errors on this website. In general I can understand a lot of people don't care and not everyone is perfect with the whole thing. But sometimes i'm not expecting it on the intpforum and it catches me off guard. :P

kvothe27

Local time
-->
Most of my irritation stems from being xNTP.

- How horrible my memory is when it comes to names and dates
- How often I'm unable to convey my own understanding of a subject... I'm good at understanding concepts, but not always very good at articulating my understanding
- My tendency to procrastinate
- How my disinterest in other people is ultimately maladaptive
-My tendency to waste time absorbing large amounts of information that's useless to obtaining a good grade
-Social awkwardness
- How difficult it is to pay my bills on time or be on time for anything
- The most irritating thing, however, is how fantastic I am at school, but how horrible I am at work. I have had and will continue to have employment problems throughout my life. The only place I have ever felt a sense of belonging is college, and I have to fucking pay for that.
-How easily overstimulated I am by social situations

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Most of my irritation stems from being xNTP.

- How horrible my memory is when it comes to names and dates
- How often I'm unable to convey my own understanding of a subject... I'm good at understanding concepts, but not always very good at articulating my understanding
- My tendency to procrastinate
- How my disinterest in other people is ultimately maladaptive
-My tendency to waste time absorbing large amounts of information that's useless to obtaining a good grade
-Social awkwardness
- How difficult it is to pay my bills on time or be on time for anything
- The most irritating thing, however, is how fantastic I am at school, but how horrible I am at work. I have had and will continue to have employment problems throughout my life. The only place I have ever felt a sense of belonging is college, and I have to fucking pay for that.
-How easily overstimulated I am by social situations
@kvothe27.
You say you're bad at these things. Yet you say, "I'm good at understanding concepts." All concepts or just a few? Can you name a concept you are fond of? What would be of interest would be to make a connection between something you're good at and something you're bad at.

Stellar

Local time
-->
I find that an excellent question because I know I'm irritated from time-to-time but NEVER rarely express it. I don't express it because I'm unsure with Fe and don't know how that would be rational and it's hard to generalize. I can try anyway.
I never/ rarely express it either. It's rare for me to get irritated though that could be the reason for that.. that's one of the reasons I made this thread.. being annoyed this often is novel to me.

That's true, I agree. I just seem to be surrounded by people that give me situations in which I tend to have the upper hand.

I don't know. Articulating outwardly and thinking internally are two different things. If I can't respond with thoughts, I keep quiet and puzzle about it. Hard to generalize. You are a different person than me so you are entitled to your own reactions.
I do the same, Normally I respond differently.
I also keep quiet and think through things before speaking, but the people I had in mind when I wrote this constantly ask for advice. After they ask for it and I give them a response they don't like they try to defend their "views" with information that contradicts with everything they said before..
They take it personal. I point out everything so I can try to make sense of everything they're saying, and help them in return... but for some reason it's been annoying me lately when it happens often with the same person.. :kilroy:
It's when they begin to turn my "advice" into a discussion that I pick everything apart so they understand why i'm saying what i'm saying and what I mean.. because they're not grasping what I mean, and they assume what I assumed they would.
Real life examples would work better because I realize this makes no sense at all. My apologies for my poor word choice.

You asked a difficult question. It's possible the question couldn't be answered readily so people guessed and they were not experts anyway. You got what you asked for.
I got what I asked for initially, which was random superficial inaccurate answers, but when I proceeded to ask them their train of thought I was asking for something else... or maybe hoping, for something with substance. An inference they made with some actual solid reasoning behind it. It is sort of my fault.. for my brief expectation.

not good at typing so I won't here. ... I changed my mind. You are an XNXX.:D

Lol.. how dare you.

a contradiction is clearly presented I find that a challenge of interest. It also depends on the person. I can guess, but if I know the person I can feel more confidence in their style.
Me too actually, usually. But now it's getting to the point where people will argue their points to the death.. The assurance and such solid stance they have on them actually being right gets annoying I think.

Now you're getting to where I feel or felt annoyed recently. I was posting on a Pod'Lair thread and carefully thought about something. The person I was talking to never replied or even acknowledged my post. That annoyed me. I realize she was and is a feeling person and my post was thinking. So her lack of response had merit. It's just that without any response at all, I don't get to learn more about her position. I tend to forget her motives are feeling and she may not be skilled at thinking no matter how smart she is. Today I forgot how busy she was on that board, so now I've forgotten to be annoyed.
Please do. BTW I wouldn't be annoyed if you don't respond because I don't know you. The other person I did.
Lol, I need to. I've been really busy with school and I keep putting it off. :c I'll come back later and add/fix things. I must leave for school right after I finish this. (I'm doing it again.)

Lately i've been surrounded by people because of some University things i'm involved with... so maybe it's also the change in people, and amount of time i'm around them.

I agree with almost everything you wrote, interesting. :)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
- lazy employees
- (most) popular music
- getting up before daylight
- traffic

- The most irritating thing, however, is how fantastic I am at school, but how horrible I am at work. I have had and will continue to have employment problems throughout my life.

Weird. I'm the exact opposite. School was a total snoozefest for me. I was good at it, but I couldn't be bothered doing any study at all. I was going to drop out, but figured it would probably be better to finish it just in case. I enjoy work though, I even look forward to it on some days.

What problems exactly do you have at work?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
What tends to irritate you?

Pod'Lair. :D

Do you INTPs now, or have you ever had a time in your life where you get the impression everyone around wasn't very... bright? Because you can pick apart and see every single contradiction they're making, and it seems like the person no matter what, can't delve deeply into anything you ask. I've had this happen to me some times more than others, I consider myself a nice person but I can't help but get annoyed of people now and days the more and more i'm around people when they do this. I find contradictions making me annoyed up the wall. My response is just to ask the person their train of thought, and then trying to clear up what they said, or pointing out exactly how their statement or argument is flawed. I don't seem annoyed, or anything, but I am.

Oh, been there, done that... but you'll drive yourself nuts over the course of a lifetime if you let it eat at you. I guess some INTPs think of the other person as dumb and thus not expect as much out of them. I try to look at us as "gifted" (all "types" have some kind of gifting), and that this is our area of specialty. But I need to use my "powers" wisely, to fix problems rather than create them, and provide an example to others on how they could think of something in a new way. Some people, maybe many, don't really see things in the way we do, but they respond to a kick/push; and if you feed them the vision in a way that doesn't put them them down for being stupid, they will want to rise to the occasion and maybe they'll even be kind of blown away by it. I love that sound of "nothingness" when I would bring up something in a group discussion that no one had thought of, and I could tell that it turned the entire conversation on a head; I felt I had contributed.

Meanwhile, there are some things that I know I'm not so good at, and that I annoy others about. So I try to let that humble me. :)

A random small online example... I attempting going on another forum to ask random shit about how a friend came off, type wise. I posted it with a poll asking what type it sounded like. When I came back to it people attacked the post with statements such as "You just want to be unique, you're none of these types." When I asked them they're reasoning for stating that the self description sounded nothing like the types available in the poll, they would say things like "You like to sleep and you enjoy comfort so, you're not an N"

That kind of response is why I typically shy away from typing people online. It's just too personal a topic for people... and it's also not quantifiable enough to come to agreement when people perceive different things. I get really irritated in those kinds of discussions, because people stop being rational/reasonable. It's too personal for them.

yeah. They reach their conclusions and convictions from other sources than a rational argument process like INTP typically does. Sometimes I end up thinking their conclusions are bogus, but since there is no logic path, it's impossible to discuss. When two people agree on what "logic" is and how it should be used, then they can debate whether a particular leap was rational. When the other person gets there in a completely different fashion, there's no way to come to terms.

Another random thing that has also irked me a little is people basing all of their decisions based on emotions. I know people do but, it just depends on what it's used for.. if it actually irritates me or not. Like someone defending their argument on evolution being fake and using emotions to defend that... in someway. Or telling me they decided to ditch their friend at the airport because _insert emotional reasoning here_

There is not much to tell them. Yes, it's annoying. But I have learned just to leave some openings in case they want to pursue it more reasonably later and otherwise back off. They are not open to my kind of input, so at best it is only worth saying what I think ONCE so they have an idea of my approach and then letting it go. Again, it's very personal.

Many people are "personal" in nature and strongly identify with their opinions, sometimes even viewing them as their identity; so an attack on their beliefs is an attack on them. INTPs tend to detach from their own ideas, the ideas exist independently, so we don't typically respond the same way. It was really shocked when I realized that I was not the norm, and that actually for many people, they can't detach that way -- it's hard for them. But then again, that provides a role for us to play. That is our contribution to the discussion, that we can afford to be detached in the pursuit of truth and allow ourselves to change our conclusions (based on truth) without being diminished or hurt by it.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
This is petty, but:

Traffic is backed-up to a crawl for miles. The light turns green, and immediately the monkey behind me honks his horn. In doing so, said monkey sets off a chain reaction and the entire line of monkeys behind him chime in with near perfect symmetry...

Yet, all the monkeys can plainly see that there is not enough space for me to clear the intersection, which is obviously why I don't move. When this happens, there are moments when it's very difficult to resist the passive-aggressive urge to just sit there until the light turns yellow, then rocket through the intersection just as it turns red, leaving the honking monkeys to wait for another red-green cycle.

So I guess wanton stupidity coupled with monkey-see, monkey-do mentalities irritates me.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I think waiting until the light turned yellow-> red would have been hilarious.

However, you never know what crazy monkey is armed, not with handfuls of poo to fling, but with a .38 handgun. So perhaps it is better to enjoy such delicious revenge within the safety of your own mind.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
- lazy employees
- (most) popular music
- traffic

Weird. I'm the exact opposite. School was a total snoozefest for me. I was good at it, but I couldn't be bothered doing any study at all. I was going to drop out, but figured it would probably be better to finish it just in case. I enjoy work though, I even look forward to it on some days.

How do you cope with all the things to do, all the various situations and unforeseen circumstances that arise?

There is just a never ending stream of eye straining tasks, making things go smoothly, and making sure that there are no mistakes.

Stellar

Local time
-->
Pod'Lair. :D

Oh, been there, done that... but you'll drive yourself nuts over the course of a lifetime if you let it eat at you. I guess some INTPs think of the other person as dumb and thus not expect as much out of them. I try to look at us as "gifted" (all "types" have some kind of gifting), and that this is our area of specialty. But I need to use my "powers" wisely, to fix problems rather than create them, and provide an example to others on how they could think of something in a new way. Some people, maybe many, don't really see things in the way we do, but they respond to a kick/push; and if you feed them the vision in a way that doesn't put them them down for being stupid, they will want to rise to the occasion and maybe they'll even be kind of blown away by it. I love that sound of "nothingness" when I would bring up something in a group discussion that no one had thought of, and I could tell that it turned the entire conversation on a head; I felt I had contributed.

Meanwhile, there are some things that I know I'm not so good at, and that I annoy others about. So I try to let that humble me. :)

That kind of response is why I typically shy away from typing people online. It's just too personal a topic for people... and it's also not quantifiable enough to come to agreement when people perceive different things. I get really irritated in those kinds of discussions, because people stop being rational/reasonable. It's too personal for them.

yeah. They reach their conclusions and convictions from other sources than a rational argument process like INTP typically does. Sometimes I end up thinking their conclusions are bogus, but since there is no logic path, it's impossible to discuss. When two people agree on what "logic" is and how it should be used, then they can debate whether a particular leap was rational. When the other person gets there in a completely different fashion, there's no way to come to terms.

There is not much to tell them. Yes, it's annoying. But I have learned just to leave some openings in case they want to pursue it more reasonably later and otherwise back off. They are not open to my kind of input, so at best it is only worth saying what I think ONCE so they have an idea of my approach and then letting it go. Again, it's very personal.

Many people are "personal" in nature and strongly identify with their opinions, sometimes even viewing them as their identity; so an attack on their beliefs is an attack on them. INTPs tend to detach from their own ideas, the ideas exist independently, so we don't typically respond the same way. It was really shocked when I realized that I was not the norm, and that actually for many people, they can't detach that way -- it's hard for them. But then again, that provides a role for us to play. That is our contribution to the discussion, that we can afford to be detached in the pursuit of truth and allow ourselves to change our conclusions (based on truth) without being diminished or hurt by it.

You're right it will drive me nuts eventually, this has only been ongoing for about 3 weeks now.. Again i'm hoping it's a phase.. It feels rather strange to be bothered by something that I'm used to normally dealing with and being okay with. :kilroy:

I think I was under the impression most human beings, were supposed to have some morals or beliefs they hold onto dearly, or identify themselves with. I thought something was off about me because of this. When attempting to describe myself on any type me form, the questions tend to stem from feelings and beliefs, which I still have no clue how to answer well.
I always thought my ideas where seperate of me.. and that they're subject to change depending on the the facts, which is actually quite entertaining because, I feel as though I gained more knowledge. I'm open to new information, and I thought others would be too, until I began to receive defensive or angry answers at my mention of a new theory I learned about, let's say, the beginning of time, life, etc. for example because it rubbed against one of their morals the wrong way.. As though they feel a need to defend them, or mention how they feel.

This leads me to another very similar thing that kind of irritates me. I can't count how many times this has happened over my lifetime. I share with people information that I find interesting, & they give me a personal response to how they feel about it and if they think it's wrong or right.. The thing is I never wanted or asked if they believed it was "right or wrong" (morally and personally) they're things I learned in my University class for example.. and that I read about later that intrigued me that I decided to share so that they could know too. They're entitled to a response, but something within the realm of sharing information, or sharing their thoughts, not arguing something that isn't really arguable. I stated a fact.. you're stating your own feelings and beliefs. That doesn't tend to work out for me, when I person make a conversation turn that way... and i'm usually not in the mood to argue, especially about something that doesn't seem like it's going to go anywhere but emotionalville, followed by some type of compromise or middle ground which will again not make sense to me. Agreeing to disagree.. I can't accurately do either to someones beliefs and feelings. They're too subjective. :slashnew:

I enjoyed your response. :) You mentioned a lot of what I was pondering about earlier today when talking to some people actually.. about them becoming their beliefs and it being hard for them to detach from them.
This is why I live online. I should come on the INTP forum more often. I've been off of these MBTI forums for some time now.

Stellar

Local time
-->
This is petty, but:

Traffic is backed-up to a crawl for miles. The light turns green, and immediately the monkey behind me honks his horn. In doing so, said monkey sets off a chain reaction and the entire line of monkeys behind him chime in with near perfect symmetry...

Yet, all the monkeys can plainly see that there is not enough space for me to clear the intersection, which is obviously why I don't move. When this happens, there are moments when it's very difficult to resist the passive-aggressive urge to just sit there until the light turns yellow, then rocket through the intersection just as it turns red, leaving the honking monkeys to wait for another red-green cycle.

So I guess wanton stupidity coupled with monkey-see, monkey-do mentalities irritates me.

I've experienced this recently too.. Everyone reacting because someone else in class does, it's like this expected chain reaction. It does get irritating to watch sometimes.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
- lazy employees
- (most) popular music
- traffic

College provides me the freedom I crave to allow my Ti to organize my inner world. There's obviously Te involved at academic institutions, but it's not as pronounced as it tends to be at work. Thus, I can show up to class late, I can start on my assignments early or closer to the deadline -- all that matters is my end performance, not necessarily how I'm approaching it. This is wonderful for my Ti-Ne axis.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Things that irritate me - coping methods
Idiots - be antisocial
Noise - earplugs or get away
Having to explain things - don't bother and be smart and friendless
Demands that interfere with my personal schedule - just do it
Rap - earplugs and debates
Traffic - none
Repetition - zone out
Inappropriate movies/music/people - fast-fwd or ignore
"good" people who care about others and inflict that opinion on me - stand my (immoral?) ground

SW

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Here's another try at answering this Q. I don't know what particulars outside of me would irritate me ... unless it's a mosquito bite. So I will jump to relationships.

I hate being told what to do unless I say, I don't know what to do and need advice.

I hate being told what to feel if I feel it.

I hate being told what to think by a person in power. I may have to take it, but who likes their mind raped?

tikru

Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
Not an INTP but... off the top of my head

Men who rely on women to fulfill their childlike emotional needs.

People who ignore information if it doesn't correspond to their absurd personal narrative.

People who ascribe meaning to their lives by creating stories and myths with raw information because they want to pass on some sort of legacy, not realizing there is no consciousness after death so it's all a little meaningless and then saying they create meaning in there lives, not realizing their creation is meaningless.. but there was no incentive for them to realize it, but still preaching their mindless babble as if they have all the answers.

Men who use obscure words and use them with ill will towards the less-elite as a sort of language-rape because their violence is intellectual and they have something to prove.

Lonely people possessed by violent ideas... brought upon by estrangement from family and friends or unfortunate past circumstances.

A reality in which all of this is possible... that there's nothing to do but take one day at a time and try to do good when you can based on an evolving ethics that's always more empty than full.

wow I need some sleep

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
How do you cope with all the things to do, all the various situations and unforeseen circumstances that arise?

@pjoa09 sorry I never checked the thread again after asking you a question! Use a mention next time :P

Well, here's my position description.

As you can see, I have quite a lot of work cut out for me on any given day. It's made easier by the fact that I do naturally enjoy my work because of the analysis, long-term thinking and strategic planning involved. It's also somewhat fulfilling because as outlined in the description, I am personally responsible for overseeing the training and development of people, as well as being the one providing regular performance reviews.

This gives me an opportunity to impart my knowledge and to teach others what I know and show them how to get the same results out of their own work.

But I'm guessing what you really want to know, is how I cope with it, which I can answer. It is similar to some of the methods used in this link: http://www.30daysofgettingresults.com/

I can't speak for every technique in there, but there are three that I use on a consistent basis.

1. power hours
2. prioritizing your day
C. Monday vision

1. Power hours are what I call, 'peak periods'. It's a time in the day that you choose, where you're going to be super productive. Planning for it gets more work done and you generally complete it to a better quality as well. I generally set a goal for myself, that I'll spend roughly 3 hours in, 'peak' mode. I started out in 30 minute chunks though, but as I've gotten better at planning for and staying in that mindset, I can last longer (verifiable by @Jennywocky ).

Basically it's just a predetermined period of time where anything and everything that I've been procrastinating about or putting off gets done. Or where I do the groundwork for things to be done. For this 3 hour period that I've managed to consistently get into the habit of (usually in 45-60 minute blocks I should add, not all at once) being machine like. It's been a process of about 2-3 years to get to that level, but the best part is that it doesn't take up any of your time to start doing it. In fact, it's the opposite.

Just pick an hour of the day, even in 30 minute intervals where you're just going to avoid all distraction and power work out. I do more in one hour of my peak than what I would sometimes get done in 8 normal hours.

2. This is really just about developing a system to get everything done, and ensure that whatever doesn't get done today will still get done within the allotted time frame. I use my own system of prioritizing tasks with an A, B or C rating. Their meanings are:

A - Tasks that are vitally important or should be done within 2 hours, and the follow-up of tasks that I delegated on previous days (explained below).
B - Tasks that should be done within 24hrs
C - Tasks that can be postponed until later

So after doing this, I delegate out as many of the C and B tasks as I can as appropriate. I send an e-mail to the management team outlining who is responsible for what tasks and by what day I'd like it completed. Being able to do this though, is a luxury that I've developed over the last year, training and working with people so that their abilities are adequate to deal with certain tasks. I haven't always had this luxury so, if you're in the same boat and have relative authority/sway in the workplace, start training and teaching people things that are going to make your life easier.

This is also the point where I follow-up on previously delegated tasks in the same e-mail. I ask everyone to e-mail me an update by day's end on the status and/or completion of their previous tasks. I generally give everyone the freedom to do things and report to me in their own time, only setting relative deadlines. Once I've trained them, I leave it up to their own skills to complete task. Mostly because I can't stand micro-managers, and know that I'll be limiting people's growth if I annoy them. I admit that there are times that I'm let down by people, but I just assume innocence and provide them feedback, first good, then some opportunities for improvement, then reinforce more of the good.

I'm yet to encounter anyone who didn't respond positively to this type of feedback, because it's both supportive and caters to people's emotional needs, as well as being constructive in providing opportunity for improvement. I do change it a little dependent on the person, but overall it's a safe bet that if you give some genuine praise for what they specifically did good on a consistent basis, they'll deliver that same level of work again and again.

Anyway, once everything possible to delegate is delegated, I get to work on all of the 'A' tasks. This is where my first 'peak' period sets in, and I churn through as much of this as is possible in 60 minutes, slow down for about 30, and then churn through as much as possible for the next 30 after that.

3. 'Monday vision'

I don't call it that personally, but I'll just leave it like that since it corresponds to the article I posted (which is from what I read quite good. Not personally helpful, but corresponds with what I currently do and know about other people who are successful at their jobs).

Anyway this is just the part where I give everyone an update on the past weeks results, usually at a meeting. We go over our overall business targets, what we are aiming to achieve and how they have evolved as a result of the past weeks results. This is really related to the part of my job that involves the long-range planning, which takes place early on a Monday morning generally, and sometimes another week-day if I want more time on it.

The key here is that everyone is on the same page and striving for the same target. That way members of the team help each other out to get tasks completed, because they are all focussed on reaching the end goal. I get them to do the problem solving and analysis in the meeting, to check their understanding and so that they can understand what it is that I am looking for in data. I find that this is great because I often get people coming to me halfway through the week with a report, having identified the root cause and offering a solution.

They are not adept at it, but they have become proficient at ballparking solutions and figures, which does help eliminate some of the (sometimes tiresome) process of trudging through possible causes and solutions for problems.

----------

So there, that's 3 ways I deal with completing tasks, unforeseen situations etc. If I had to sum it up in a few sentences I'd say that:

- Dedication to training and coaching people to greater levels of confidence, and empowering them to use their initiative and problem solving skills.
- Making a concerted effort to have a minimum amount of highly productive working time every day, no matter how shitty or boring the work might be.
- Keep everyone on the same page as you, value their feelings and treat them fairly. Celebrate their successes and make a serious effort to give them credit for things they do well. Especially the small things that people feel go unnoticed.
- And I didn't really touch on it, but I leave work at work. When I'm finished, I'm finished. I'll deal with any outstanding issues on my next work day, but I don't let it sit with me on my days off. I don't chase perfection, only constant improvement. As long as you're always improving, you'll eventually get to where you need to go, no need to constantly measure yourself against perfection.

There is just a never ending stream of eye straining tasks, making things go smoothly, and making sure that there are no mistakes.

There are always mistakes and speed-bumps. Always. No matter what you do or how good you think you are at your job, you will constantly make mistakes. Constantly. But you can always improve and help eliminate them in the future. There is not a lot to be gained by getting down about things.

This isn't to say I haven't felt overwhelmed at certain points, or wished that *insert stupid mistake here* hadn't happened and fucked so many things up, but you just have to let it go.

My favourite quote perhaps ever is, 'Get mad, then get over it' - Colin Powell.

*wall of text crits INTPf for 9999999999999999999999*

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
@redbaron Holy shit. That's a wall of post.

I like it but don't you think it's a bit too long to follow?

Or the basic principle is to just not fuck up Monday and make sure it defines the whole week?

I have power hours naturally too, they are just hard to come by.

I think the nature of my work is quite different.

I got work that needs to be done instantaneously.

I like your signature though, read it before.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
@redbaron Holy shit. That's a wall of post.

I like it but don't you think it's a bit too long to follow?

@pjoa09 It might be. It's hard to judge whether you're going to take any of it in, without knowing how to relate it to what it is that I do. I think the article explains things a bit better. If I had to give advice on how to read that article, it would be to pick 1-2 things from there that you believe you are capable of now, and dedicate to doing them well even through ups and downs. You can add more later, and I would say that you're looking at about a 9-18 month period of consistently using those techniques to your advantage for them to become second nature.

Or the basic principle is to just not fuck up Monday and make sure it defines the whole week?

In a sense I do view it this way to some extent. The Monday is important to review the past week and to know what the most important focusses for the week ahead are. Individuals are praised or coached based on their performance last week, which goes a long way to getting consistent results.

However if something happens during the week that can't be missed, I will communicate it to the team. Expectation is the key - people know what is expected of them, they know why it's important for them to achieve it, and what happens if they don't. Not necessarily individual punishment, but maybe the team doesn't reach its goals, which is a negative for everyone.

I have power hours naturally too, they are just hard to come by.

Definitely agree. I often felt like I was just floundering at work, which is why I made a concerted effort to change that. As far as I know, this is the best method - effort. Will yourself to change, accept that it will take a long time for it to become easy and even then, I still find it challenging to keep up intense focus for extended periods at times.

I think the nature of my work is quite different. I got work that needs to be done instantaneously.

I do as well about half the time. I have specific days where I do long-range planning, and days where I'm on the floor helping out, managing and coaching people on the spot.

I like your signature though, read it before.

I read it years ago, stuck with me ever since. Can't ever remember where though :mad:

viche

Local time
-->
Poorly construed laws irk me, when official regulations accomplish nothing but create more busywork and obstructions in life.

Heating food in the microwave then realizing it's not fully heated to its center when eating it (bleh!).

Rommates that creep around leaving notes everywhere and eat your food because they have mistaken it for theirs since they keep mixing their food with yours. Or the ones that when they need to get rid of some old stuff instead present it to you as a "gift".

Mysty

Local time
Today 3:50 PM
-->
@ Stellar

I think you may be under stress of some kind at the moment and your inferiour Fe is emerging - making you act differently to normal. Viche posted a link in another thread a few days ago that is awesome on this subject http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/135-MBTI-Form-of-the-Inferior

An excerpt from the Inferior Fe section is this:

Introverted Thinking types report becoming illogical, inefficient, unfocused, and scattered. An INTP described becoming “emotional, edgy, disorganized, obsessive about details, confused, closed. Usually I am easygoing, centered, and creative and see lots of options.”

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm irritated about corruption and laziness, especially the sloth that promotes more bad stuff...in myself and others. :p

viche

Local time
-->
I like your avatar Cooly, it looks so inspiring

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The word "exfoliating"

Or "evolving" in political speak. :D

Obama is evolving on gun control.

Oh really, it looks like he's demolishing the second amendment. :p

It's a liberal euphemism for expediently molding one's views to the vox populi.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
@redbaron
@pjoa09 It might be. It's hard to judge whether you're going to take any of it in, without knowing how to relate it to what it is that I do. I think the article explains things a bit better. If I had to give advice on how to read that article, it would be to pick 1-2 things from there that you believe you are capable of now, and dedicate to doing them well even through ups and downs. You can add more later, and I would say that you're looking at about a 9-18 month period of consistently using those techniques to your advantage for them to become second nature.

I will try it out for a month. Being as I am, I am not too good with consistency. We all know it's really difficult and especially difficult for our type. But that is the only way to get some results.

In a sense I do view it this way to some extent. The Monday is important to review the past week and to know what the most important focusses for the week ahead are. Individuals are praised or coached based on their performance last week, which goes a long way to getting consistent results.

However if something happens during the week that can't be missed, I will communicate it to the team. Expectation is the key - people know what is expected of them, they know why it's important for them to achieve it, and what happens if they don't. Not necessarily individual punishment, but maybe the team doesn't reach its goals, which is a negative for everyone.

This one would be tough for my company set up. It always feels like Guitar Hero with the song on mute. I never know what is going to bite me in the ass at anytime.

Definitely agree. I often felt like I was just floundering at work, which is why I made a concerted effort to change that. As far as I know, this is the best method - effort. Will yourself to change, accept that it will take a long time for it to become easy and even then, I still find it challenging to keep up intense focus for extended periods at times.

I like to think it should be, it's not in human nature to be so intensely focused. Especially if it doesn't seem life threatening. But again, here I am floundering at work.

I do as well about half the time. I have specific days where I do long-range planning, and days where I'm on the floor helping out, managing and coaching people on the spot.

I read it years ago, stuck with me ever since. Can't ever remember where though :mad:

I actually help out with manual labor on some days. It's refreshing and helps with working out.

I think it is a body building quote. I read it a while back. Found it very motivating for those long term goals that I have difficulty reaching.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
@redbaron But often I swear a couple of amphetamine pills would've set my problems straight.

Question

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Just like OP I noticed that other people seem less intelligent. It annoys me a bit, because when I try to talk with people on my level they just end up asking questions about what I said, and then not understanding my answer, no matter how much I dumb it down.

Few things really annoy me. Trying to think of them on the spot seems impossible right now, I guess things that have no logical answer, like is there an end to the universe? Obviously there is an end to matter released during the big bang, but after that is it just infinite space? how could there be infinite everything? It doesn't make sense and makes even our entire universe seem so small and insignificant. Yet, what could possible come other then infinite space, how could space stop, what exists where neither space nor matter exists? Bah, I hate it.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Poorly construed laws irk me, when official regulations accomplish nothing but create more busywork and obstructions in life.

I agree. Lousy spelling and using "when" out of context annoys me, too.

Top Bottom