• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is your IQ?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:51 PM
-->
http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/ya...ermine-human-intelligence-through-brain-scans

Yale Neuroscientists Can Now Determine Human Intelligence Through Brain Scans

Emily Finn was a grad student and co-author of this study. She said, “The more certain regions are talking to one another, the better you’re able to process information quickly and make inferences.” Mostly, fluid intelligence had to do with the connections between the frontal and parietal lobes. The stronger and swifter the communication between these two regions, the better one’s score in the abstract thinking test.

White matter can get thicker but it cannot grow new fibers.

The frontoparietal junction connected all regions of the brain together as the central bandwidth of the brain. Bandwidth is the rate of information flowing through a system at once. A computer would operate at 16 bit the 32 bit now 64-bit bandwidth. The brain is almost the same but not binary bandwidth but still, the fibers need to be fast and have lots of them centralizing and coordinating distant brain areas. Greymatter can increase bandwidth with increases in frequencies like gamma waves 40-120 Hz. But if fewer fibers of white matter exist they cannot grow more, only grey matter grows in thickness in the cortex.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:51 PM
-->
From the article:

"There are limits to what we now know about the human connectome that have yet to be overcome. For instance, we can only look at the connections as they are now. We don’t know how they form or develop over time. And fluid intelligence is merely one type out of several different kinds."

This seems, to me, to doubly contradict your position, AK, because 1) they are talking about connectivity giving rise to many different skillsets, which undemines the concept of a unitary measure of intelligence like IQ, and 2) they are quite clearly saying there is no reason to believe this connectivity is fixed.

On CPUs: the 64 bit stuff etc refers to the L1 cache size of the processor. It has little to do with bandwidth. It's just how many bits it can store in the lowest-level short-term memory. It's the clock speed of the CPU which amounts to bandwidth, but once again, that's a completely meaningless comparison because a CPU can only do something like 4 or 6 operations simultaneously depending on the number of cores. The human brain is a massive parallel device which can do probably trillions of operations simultaneously. Every operation is much slower than in a CPU, but like I said, the mere speed of signal transfer is not where the strength of the brain lies.

Last edited:

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:51 PM
-->
So far as fluid intelligence goes, there is a central hub that the more connections it has the more fluid intelligence the person has. Simply the term fluid intelligence means the ability to manipulate in a spatial, quantitative and causative manner. If such modalities where manipulation takes place that is additive to these three abilities that were a separate modality, that was not connected to the central hub, I would be surprised but it could be this would be a separate circuit that operates on its own and interfaces with the central hub to manipulate such that the pattern of manipulation is novel to our understanding.

The main reason the central hub exists is to mediate actions with perceptions so the only place for a secluded other hub to be would be an internal circuit that serves a purpose of internal monitorization an (Introversion) of the self-creation. The Ego-self. Other circuits possible but all process information in order to control the self.

Information flow transfer would still be part of intelligence as greater flow means more is happening and so more is possibly being manipulated. More is being done. A person can hold more just in a different way.

edit: the central hub does not go away, we always operate on perception and action.

Last edited:

Drvladivostok

Daydreamer.
Local time
Tomorrow 2:51 AM
-->
113, 117, 129, 131, depending on which test I took and which Period in my life I took them, there seems to be a significant increase in intelligence since I left high school.

Top Bottom